Bruce Cassidy

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2017, 12:18 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
In my opinion, in any vocation, a very strong manager always asks his staff/team for their thoughts on things.
Agreed, often do it myself with those I supervise, their opinions are often exceptionally valuable.

On that note, just handed them all my evaluation forms for them to fill out and hand back to me as I just completed all staff reviews.

I do it every year, completely anonymous, sometimes it`s tough to read areas I need to improve upon but I have to take comments as constructive criticism and work at improving in areas

Old
02-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Agreed, often do it myself with those I supervise, their opinions are often exceptionally valuable.

On that note, just handed them all my evaluation forms for them to fill out and hand back to me as I just completed all staff reviews.

I do it every year, completely anonymous, sometimes it`s tough to read areas I need to improve upon but I have to take comments as constructive criticism and work at improving in areas
we all do.....................

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
02-16-2017, 12:20 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
1 - get into the playoffs

2 - be better (cheaper) than any other available coach in off season.
If he pulls off #1, I think he is back next year. Cassidy wants to coach at this level. You can see it when he is giving press conferences. He is determined to get this job, and I am rooting for him.

Old
02-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
If he pulls off #1, I think he is back next year. Cassidy wants to coach at this level. You can see it when he is giving press conferences. He is determined to get this job, and I am rooting for him.
To me, if he can get them into the playoffs at this level/type of play he deserves to continue next year.

Old
02-16-2017, 12:24 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
To me, if he can get them into the playoffs at this level/type of play he deserves to continue next year.
I was a Claude supporter But I have to admit Cassidy is a breath of fresh air Love his interviews and his attitude.I have no issues with him staying on as coach of Bruins. I am happy for him.The man was a prolific scorer for Kilrea and the Ottawa 67s .Injury killed his dream.Hopefully he finds a Stanley Cup this route

Old
02-16-2017, 12:25 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
agreed but even if the B`s miss, but he`s gotten the players to continue to by into his system and they make a good run at the playoffs, he might be brought back too. The position in the standings he`s inherited weren`t exactly setting him up for success.

3 games in, so far so good, let`s see how the boys do on the roadie out west and with teams having some time to see the video on how this team plays now, especially the Sharkies Sunday who were the first opponents of Cassidy

Old
02-16-2017, 12:28 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post

I was a Claude supporter But I have to admit Cassidy is a breath of fresh air Love his interviews and his attitude.I have no issues with him staying on as coach of Bruins. I am happy for him.The man was a prolific scorer for Kilrea and the Ottawa 67s .Injury killed his dream.Hopefully he finds a Stanley Cup this route
got to see his entire Junior career, had some great D-men also to play with, Brad Shaw, Alan Hepple, Mark Patterson were such a good group. Cassidy and Patterson did all the heavy lifting offensively while the rest really allowed them the freedom to play that way

Old
02-16-2017, 12:28 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Cassidy needs to understand a half dozen times a year you are going to have a **** game

If he can stay even keeled he's going to do very well

Veteran assistants who in Pandolfo is higher on the mast head and a bright calm voice and Sacco who was a head coach in the NHL- he's got a strong group to help him and I 100% believe he respects them and will benefit from them

His players have elite leadership- multi captains will grow in a few days

He's got legit first line wing talent

Use your strength and relax

He's very bright and a good guy I was constantly told when bashing him by folks who knew him or worked with him- the one negative was he could be wound tight when things went off kilter

He's over 50 and Washington was a lifetime ago

Cassidy is in a great spot I hope he can handle it- I don't care what the media says it's set up very well for him

Last edited by DKH: 02-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old
02-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
agreed but even if the B`s miss, but he`s gotten the players to continue to by into his system and they make a good run at the playoffs, he might be brought back too. The position in the standings he`s inherited weren`t exactly setting him up for success.

3 games in, so far so good, let`s see how the boys do on the roadie out west and with teams having some time to see the video on how this team plays now, especially the Sharkies Sunday who were the first opponents of Cassidy
Yeah.....but like I said earlier in this thread , if the Bs miss out of the playoffs I don't know what will happen and who will be left.

My gut tells me that this past week could be just the smoke and tremble from the volcano.

Old
02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Eennad142

Current cast of characters - front office and behind bench - should be set in place for couple of years anyway. Bruce Cassidy not coaching any different than he did in AHL, but there will always be tweaks. Moving puck quickly up ice and scoring goals through individual skills and effort brought him AHL success, and will continue; if the team gets outgunned in particular game, so be it, he won't change. The more young skill players coming up will reinforce the style of play. The old days of defensive zone faceoff win percentage talk will now play second-fiddle.

Old
02-16-2017, 12:37 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Yeah.....but like I said earlier in this thread , if the Bs miss out of the playoffs I don't know what will happen and who will be left.

My gut tells me that this past week could be just the smoke and tremble from the volcano.
The sad part is I don't see a new management team coming in and doing much different. No one is going to come in and sell of the farm. I don't think anyone is going to come in and go hard after a big name ufa. The ship is headed in the right direction.

Old
02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Current cast of characters - front office and behind bench - should be set in place for couple of years anyway. Bruce Cassidy not coaching any different than he did in AHL, but there will always be tweaks. Moving puck quickly up ice and scoring goals through individual skills and effort brought him AHL success, and will continue; if the team gets outgunned in particular game, so be it, he won't change. The more young skill players coming up will reinforce the style of play. The old days of defensive zone faceoff win percentage talk will now play second-fiddle.
Good stuff- I don't know whether I just like going to the Providence games but those games and their style has always been pretty enjoyable

I'm glad you said it- they weren't exactly imitating Boston

They moved the puck - Boychuk in Providence wasn't the same guy in Boston

Going this weekend looking forward to seeing the Baby B's

Old
02-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 6000000
Quote:

If the B's give JJ his couple of home playoff games he will be back. If they miss out there is no guarantee Sweeney and Neely survive.

Old
02-16-2017, 01:20 PM
WithOutPaperss
Made it Look Sexy

Quote:
Good read from KPD:

Bruce Cassidy’s ascent to Bruins coach had a sense of destiny

It was a shellacking, the kind to infuriate any coach. Amid the beatdown, Mike Keenan looked down the Blackhawks bench at the old Boston Garden and was incensed to find that one of his baby-faced defensemen was smiling.

Bruce Cassidy, 23 years old and with a career path seeming of infinite promise, couldn’t contain his joy.

“Mike kept looking at me,” recalled Cassidy, “and said, ‘What’ve you got a smile on your face for? We’re losing, 8-1!’ And I said, ‘Well, I’m at the Boston Garden, and I didn’t know I’d ever make it here as a player, so hey, I’m going to enjoy it.’ ”...................

Now 51 years old, it’s Cassidy’s turn to answer all the questions — his own, and those of his fans, players, and management.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/br...IlO/story.html
Loved the quote of him saying these guys are talented enough here to make plays, so we are going to encourage them try.

Old
02-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Good stuff- I don't know whether I just like going to the Providence games but those games and their style has always been pretty enjoyable
I'm glad you said it- they weren't exactly imitating Boston
They moved the puck - Boychuk in Providence wasn't the same guy in Boston
Going this weekend looking forward to seeing the Baby B's
As a long-time paying customer, I assume you want to be entertained at a hockey game at least. Enough of the 1-1, 2-1 defensive marathons. No more moral victories like, 'they kept it close'. Compete every game and play to win and the fans will support.

Old
02-16-2017, 01:27 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
As a long-time paying customer, I assume you want to be entertained at a hockey game at least. Enough of the 1-1, 2-1 defensive marathons. No more moral victories like, 'they kept it close'. Compete every game and play to win and the fans will support.
Don't forget the usual talk that at least they "stole a point" or that they "outshot the other team by a country mile" talk that dominated the discussion after most losses here.

Old
02-16-2017, 01:30 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
If the B's give JJ his couple of home playoff games he will be back. If they miss out there is no guarantee Sweeney and Neely survive.
I thought Charlie was in charge? No?

Thought there was separation from JJ as how viewed Neely & Sweeney

That's not good then and why Sakic should hold out for the farm

Old
02-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Don't forget the usual talk that at least they "stole a point" or that they "outshot the other team by a country mile" talk that dominated the discussion after most losses here.
Don't forget one of Claude's old favs, 'We worked real hard but were not rewarded with more goals. I don't know.' Paraphrase of course.

Old
02-16-2017, 01:39 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Don't forget one of Claude's old favs, 'We worked real hard but were not rewarded with more goals. I don't know.' Paraphrase of course.
Or "we ran into a hot goalie."

Old
02-16-2017, 01:40 PM
WithOutPaperss
Made it Look Sexy

Quote:
I don't think score is indicative of entertainment in hockey. I've watched 1-0 games that were the most exciting games I've ever seen, and 6-5 games that were absolutely horrendous. Of course 6-0 blowouts are fun to watch if your team is winning, but even then I generally tune it out at 4-0 anyway.

Old
02-16-2017, 02:03 PM
BackeInBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMakers View Post
Agreed on both counts. It will be interesting to see if it's the message or the messenger. In other words, maybe it's just the shock and awe of the change that has them on their toes. I'm thinking that bubble will pop around game 10. Although if they make an addition there will be another bubble from that so... I guess we should just enjoy it while we can.
I don't buy this "bubble will pop" being a result of the initial shock of change wearing off. Sure, you might get a jolt of adrenaline that first game, but much like a first playoff game, that usually lasts a few shifts, and then you need get down to business with a game plan and execution.

What I see on the ice these past 3 games is something tangible. Tweaks in the way they attack, more D joining the rush, more confidence to make plays, younger players trusting their instincts. That's on coaching. Now the 3, 5, or 10 game bubble may pop, but I would argue that would have more to do with opposing teams making adjustments, and also how our coach re-adjusts to that himself, and if the players subsequently continue to have confidence in the game plan/style of play.

Old
02-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
I don't think score is indicative of entertainment in hockey. I've watched 1-0 games that were the most exciting games I've ever seen, and 6-5 games that were absolutely horrendous. Of course 6-0 blowouts are fun to watch if your team is winning, but even then I generally tune it out at 4-0 anyway.
Individual 1-0 games are at times exciting, for instance, playoffs. When one team caught regular-season sleepwalking, - can you think of anyone local? - 1-0 is the pit of hockey entertainment. But I can look back on it one day in the far future and claim I was supremely entertained in 2011 and thanks for the memory.

Old
02-16-2017, 02:15 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
After reading this you don't know how tempted I am to hope they don't make it.....which is a hell of a way to feel about your absolute favorite team

Old
02-18-2017, 08:25 AM
rocketdan9

Dont wish this anytime soon but need to see the Bruins lose 2-3 in a row and see how Cassidy handles it. Does he stick to the same game plan. Start tightening up on defense? Start losing it with media, players etc

Old
02-18-2017, 08:30 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Dont wish this anytime soon but need to see the Bruins lose 2-3 in a row and see how Cassidy handles it. Does he stick to the same game plan. Start tightening up on defense? Start losing it with media, players etc
I don`t think he`ll lose it, I think he has both learned and matured a ton from being the coach we saw in Washington who was clearly not ready to be a head coach and the one he is today.

He said himself there will be times where he may need to ask the team to dial it back a bit as far as the aggressive approach goes.

It`s all about the boys picking their spots to pinch, just can`t pinch every bloody time your in the offensive zone

Closed Thread