HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Based on the past 3 games are the Bruins now buyers or sellers on March 1st?

View Poll Results: Based on the past 3 games are the Bruins now buyers or sellers on March 1st?
Buyers 50 40.00%
Sellers 33 26.40%
Do Nothing 42 33.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Number8
Jacobs Must Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
The Habs are already in first place, ahead of the B's (who were a borderline playoff team under Julien). This same B's team collapsed down the stretch under Clode in the previous two seasons.

Why would there be any more pressure to win and succeed in the playoffs than there always is?

And why is it embarrassing for the B's because Clode went to Montreal? The Bruins didn't want him as their head coach any longer. Just because he's a good fit somewhere else (remains to be seen) it doesn't mean that he was the right guy here.

Time to start worrying about our team and not what the Habs are doing with the B's hand me down coach.
The Habs are on an almighty skid. Losing most of their recent games and basically a .500 team since their torrid start. Without change, if the season were any longer they'd start to worry about the PO's even.

If Claude goes up there and turns the ship around (even if it's just a new coach bump) I think it's reasonable to assume that Neely will feel pressure and pass on that pressure to Sweeney.

Given the somewhat embarrassing circumstances surrounding how Claude was let go (dragging it out and then Paradegate) I don' think it's unreasonable to assume this might be the case.

By the way, I'm not worried about what the Habs will do. I'm worried about what our thin skinned short sighted top brass/ownership might do if the Habs right the ship with their old (week and a half old) coach.

B's are a bit of a laughing point around league right now -- and our owner/president are a tad thin skinned/reactive. If you don't agree, that's fine.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Number8
Jacobs Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
The Bruins are scared **** less of 3 things

1. Missing the playoffs

2. Their third line

3. Montreal/Claude success

Jeremy made this call on an owner to owner thing - I'm sure JJ was happy to not have to pay Claude for next year; who knows what if anything that means about Neely

Landeskog strengthens 1 & 2 above if they get him

The last week changed everything- they were dead in the water

Then came

The firing

The garbage press conference

The Cam interview & earned media and fan bashing

A 3 game winning streak

Claude to Montreal

They ain't sellers unless they lose 3 or 4 on this trip
If they move a current D (Carlo in particular) to solve #2, then they need to add Defense to that list. In the short term, Defense should be on that list anyway IMO. High on that list. We may forget around here (ouch...) but PO's are a different animal.

Either that or get McAvoy to get a counselor to handle all the pressure that will reside on his 19 year old shoulders.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

They have nothing to sell. Only garbage and low value assets.

Do not waste any pick like they did last year on Liles+Stempniak.

If you make a move, do it for the long term.

Move Liles and get a pick back from those wasted on him last year. Only reason to have signed him this year. Even if only a 7th rounder...

I'm always scared around the deadline. With UFA season, these are the two worst time to make an addition to your team as the price are always too high.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I don't understand how this could possible change anything.

Buy long term, try to trade any dead weight.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 09:18 PM
nords1995

Boston is stuck with the buying process. Doesn't mean to give Carlos for a dozen stick.
They have 14 millions on two centers aging. Chara is 40. Marchand is what 29. Rask won't be younger. They will be all in. The window is closed, but one playoff run could be possible. I think they will move at the deadline.

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Kaoz

Sellers, it's an uptick with a new coach but they'll come back down to earth as teams adapt imo.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:58 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nords1995 View Post
Boston is stuck with the buying process. Doesn't mean to give Carlos for a dozen stick.
They have 14 millions on two centers aging. Chara is 40. Marchand is what 29. Rask won't be younger. They will be all in. The window is closed, but one playoff run could be possible. I think they will move at the deadline.
I mean Crosby is 29. Let's not go too crazy on worrying about Marchand's age. The rest yeah, they're getting up there.

I actually wonder if Chara finishes his career here, or does a Jagr. I don't see the B's being quite bad enough to ever trade him at the deadline now.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 12:03 PM
BruinDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
I mean Crosby is 29. Let's not go too crazy on worrying about Marchand's age. The rest yeah, they're getting up there.

I actually wonder if Chara finishes his career here, or does a Jagr. I don't see the B's being quite bad enough to ever trade him at the deadline now.
Or does a Jagr in the sense he plays into his 40s, but does it in Boston.

I mean, the safest assumption is that Chara plays out this year and next in Boston, then sails off into the sunset.

But would he want to keep going? Could he? I'm not convinced he's done with pro hockey 14 months from now.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 12:09 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR
Bobby Orr Scores

They'll be buyers!! Sweeney can't take the chance of missing the playoffs for a 3rd straight yr. If they miss he's out. It may not be fair as he wont be around to see his picks prosper but thats life in the NHL!

I except a big name coming in, hopefully on the defensive end!

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 12:15 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORR2Sanderson2ORR View Post
They'll be buyers!! Sweeney can't take the chance of missing the playoffs for a 3rd straight yr. If they miss he's out. It may not be fair as he wont be around to see his picks prosper but thats life in the NHL!

I except a big name coming in, hopefully on the defensive end!
buyers last year and missed, my opinion, stay the course.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 07:52 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post

I actually wonder if Chara finishes his career here, or does a Jagdon't see the B's being quite bad enough to ever trade him at the deadline now.
Marchand is playing on the edge. We will talk again in a couple of year. The window regrouping these guy (37,46,40) including Chara 1 year, without Chara 2 years. They need to go all in with this core.... and that is what they are doing I beleive. Some young asset will be kept, but they need to improve NOW.

Chara is a keeper. Won t go anywhere unless he ask for it and i can't see it.

Old
02-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Multiple deletions.

This is not the Clode fired/to the Habs thread.
This is trade proposals and buy or sell.

Thanks.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 08:23 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
Exactly.

As for Sweeney. If he's a buyer and trades away some of the B's future and they still miss the playoffs I think he will be in more danger than if he stays the course and/or tries to sell off some of the dead weight to open up cap space and they miss the playoffs. His moves for NHL players have been overall ineffective and in some cases abysmal.
If he mIsses the playoff without doing something.... ejected chair possible is my thought. He needs to move.... you know it and do I. Problem is .... what kind of move and we are scared of what could be the MOVE.

In 2011 when bruins won... in march i was umhappy with the team and CJ. I learn at that point that they have windows and will live or die with their idea. Book it DS will move is what I think.

Old
02-16-2017, 08:25 PM
BeantownBilly

BeantownBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Strafer

Tough one. It's too bad that the bye week is now because it makes it so much more difficult for DS to "evaluate" the situation with Cassidy and to adjust the roster to it.
When CJ was here I'd say SELL SELL SELL. Now, it's not so clear. He said at the news conference that they only want to make trades that will bring in long term players and not rentals. It remains to be seen who/what would be available in that criterion. Sweeney is going to have to be intensely watching the B's and whoever is offered to them in trade to make the right move before the TDL.
At this point it feels as though the Colorado deal(s) are dead but who knows, now that Claude is in Montreal it may ratchet up the pressure on DS that much more.
I wouldn't mind seeing them be buyers and sellers but of course, if they make one trade or more they'll be doing both.

Last edited by Strafer: 02-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
Tough one. It's too bad that the bye week is now because it makes it so much more difficult for DS to "evaluate" the situation with Cassidy and to adjust the roster to it.
When CJ was here I'd say SELL SELL SELL. Now, it's now so clear. He said at the news conference that they only want to make trades that will bring in long term players and not rentals. It remains to be seen who/what would be available in that criterion. Sweeney is going to have to be intensely watching the B's and whoever is offered to them in trade to make the right move before the TDL.
At this point it feels as though the Colorado deal(s) are dead but who knows, now that Claude is in Montreal it may ratchet up the pressure on DS that much more.
I wouldn't mind seeing them be buyers and sellers but of course, if they make a trade or more they'll be doing both.
Evaluate was the key word I was looking for. To that point, they have now had 3 games to evaluate. What a sample size to determine this year and later!

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 12:11 AM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Brian View Post
Evaluate was the key word I was looking for. To that point, they have now had 3 games to evaluate. What a sample size to determine this year and later!
They've had a whole freaking season to evaluate. The coaching change did nothing to change the roster and the holes on it. Just the guys played inspired for a few games.

Don't be fooled. This team is still young and inconsistent, except where it's old and slow.

The job of the GM is to make the necessary changes, deletions, trades, and upgrades to take this team forward.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Blowfish

All they need is a scoring winger. Patrick eaves plays RW and can play along side Spooner and Vatrano. Easy Peasy.

Blowfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 08:38 AM
BruinDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
All they need is a scoring winger. Patrick eaves plays RW and can play along side Spooner and Vatrano. Easy Peasy.
Yeah I don't think the Bruins should be coughing up a 2nd rounder + a mid-range prospect to rent this year's version of Lee Stempniak.

Eaves has 21 goals, good for the Top 25 goal totals in the league. He's won't cost a bounty but he's not coming cheap either.

Heck, if he's available, in such a weak draft year, he might be enough to convince a team to give up their 1st rounder for a rental. Rumor is 1sts are in play and hard to believe a player with his production this season wouldn't be among the more desirable rentals.

Bruins should avoid expensive rental options at all costs. Let a true cup contender give up their 1st rounder to rent Patrick Eaves.

Old
02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
Yeah I don't think the Bruins should be coughing up a 2nd rounder + a mid-range prospect to rent this year's version of Lee Stempniak.

Eaves has 21 goals, good for the Top 25 goal totals in the league. He's won't cost a bounty but he's not coming cheap either.

Heck, if he's available, in such a weak draft year, he might be enough to convince a team to give up their 1st rounder for a rental. Rumor is 1sts are in play and hard to believe a player with his production this season wouldn't be among the more desirable rentals.

Bruins should avoid expensive rental options at all costs. Let a true cup contender give up their 1st rounder to rent Patrick Eaves.
agreed, and I think Eaves is alot like Beleseky, for the most part, he`s been a 10-15 goal player (think he popped 20 in his rookie year?) and while he`s having one of if not his best statistical years, I think you have to imagine in all likelyhood his totals moving forward will most likely fall back into what they have been for most of his career and I really don`t like his ability to stay healthy. Has he even played a full season without missing big chunks of it other than this one?

Old
02-19-2017, 08:51 AM
BruinDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
agreed, and I think Eaves is alot like Beleseky, for the most part, he`s been a 10-15 goal player (think he popped 20 in his rookie year?) and while he`s having one of if not his best statistical years, I think you have to imagine in all likelyhood his totals moving forward will most likely fall back into what they have been for most of his career and I really don`t like his ability to stay healthy. Has he even played a full season without missing big chunks of it other than this one?
And I could be wrong but isn't he the RW on the Benn-Seguin line?

Probably another reason for the bump up in his production.

Old
02-19-2017, 08:57 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
And I could be wrong but isn't he the RW on the Benn-Seguin line?

Probably another reason for the bump up in his production.
Good pickup

and your right

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/d...L/dallas-stars

Old
02-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I hear you guys, however, Eaves picked up most of his goals during Bennless times. Injured for a large part of the season. For a first (poor draft) bruin history picking up good prospects down pipeline you take your chances.

Blowfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 04:59 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
When CJ was here I'd say SELL SELL SELL. Now, it's not so clear. He said at the news conference that they only want to make trades that will bring in long term players and not rentals. It remains to be seen who/what would be available in that criterion. Sweeney is going to have to be intensely watching the B's and whoever is offered to them in trade to make the right move before the TDL.
I wouldn't mind seeing them be buyers and sellers but of course, if they make one trade or more they'll be doing both.
This is exactly right. Prior to Claude being replaced, this team was playing lethargic and disinterested hockey. Now that they've moved on, the team has a jump in it's step, so the decision to add, sell, or stand pat becomes more hazy. This road trip should be used by Sweeney as a barometer on what to do. They come out and sweep, add. The roll over and spit the bit, sell. They go .500, stand pat.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This is exactly right. Prior to Claude being replaced, this team was playing lethargic and disinterested hockey. Now that they've moved on, the team has a jump in it's step, so the decision to add, sell, or stand pat becomes more hazy. This road trip should be used by Sweeney as a barometer on what to do. They come out and sweep, add. The roll over and spit the bit, sell. They go .500, stand pat.
They will come back diwn to earth and be who they are.

Sell

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote