HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2017, 10:44 AM
  #1076
Desmond Hume
Not A Troll
 
Desmond Hume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
I have tried using a 65 flex but I find my shot with it isn't hard enough to put a fast shot on net from the blue line when using that much of a whip. when I'm in close and also moving towards the net I can get a lot of velocity on my shot but I'm defense and I'm usually stationary and far away from the net. I see some defense players in the nhl that wrist bullets to the net and i'm just trying to figure that out now.
Warrior Covert QRL.

Desmond Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 11:21 AM
  #1077
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 20,822
vCash: 439
Anyone ever went through the process of using True's warranty on sticks?

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2017, 11:37 AM
  #1078
jnk96
@janikbeichler
 
jnk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: At the rink.
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk96 View Post
Three and a half years ago, I bought a Reebok ai5 as my primary stick and a cheap Sherwood stick from Walmart as backup. I was fine with the Reebok for the longest time and was happy I got a half-decent stick for $65 instead of spending $300 or so. It is also still in good condition except for the paint coming off, so I never even thought about buying a new one.

Then last year a friend gave me his pro stock Ribcor and my first thought was "*****, I totally wasted my time with that stupid ai5." It was totally amazing, even though the flex is a bit too high for me.

So this year I was looking for a high-end stick at a decent price with a lower flex. Found an RBZ Stage 2 for 175 and was about to buy it when I discovered the True A5.2 SBP was the exact same price. Did some research and couldn't find a single negative word about True sticks in reviews. So that's what I ended up buying.

I've only used it once so far, but I was really amazed. Not sure how much of it was due to the "yay I got a new stick" motivation kick, but I felt that I played better than before and my shot was way better. Great puck feel and I definitely have a much quicker release with it. Also think slap shots work better than with the Ribcor.

After using both a pro stock Ribcor and the A5.2 SBP, I don't doubt anyone who says True make the best hockey sticks on the market right now. Especially at that price, wow.
So just over a month after purchasing the True A5.2 sbp, it got a really deep dent/cut in the blade, about a half inch long. Assuming it happened when I poke-checked and hit the opponent's skate and he might've stepped on the stick after. Well ****.

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 12:33 PM
  #1079
Desmond Hume
Not A Troll
 
Desmond Hume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 1390
I've heard a lot of people having durability problems with True sticks. Does it seem to be easier to damage than other sticks? I know that Easton had a pretty bad rep a few years ago with how fragile their sticks were.

Desmond Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
  #1080
bhd1223
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I've heard a lot of people having durability problems with True sticks. Does it seem to be easier to damage than other sticks? I know that Easton had a pretty bad rep a few years ago with how fragile their sticks were.
I got the non-SBP A4.5 on clearance some time ago. While the paint has taken a beating the stick is holding up great. I use quite a lot of tape when I do the blade and I don't think it's fairing any worse than any other stick I've used. It is probably more durable than the 5.2 and 6.0 though, being a lower price point.

bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 04:29 PM
  #1081
puckpilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Anyone have experience with the 2016 Bauer Vapor 1X and the Warrior QRL 1?

I saw a review on youtube comparing the two and they said performance and feel was almost the same. Just wondering how true that is. I'm using the the QRL 1 right now, and nothing compares for me, so it'd be nice to have another option available.


puckpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:25 PM
  #1082
Desmond Hume
Not A Troll
 
Desmond Hume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpilot View Post
Anyone have experience with the 2016 Bauer Vapor 1X and the Warrior QRL 1?

I saw a review on youtube comparing the two and they said performance and feel was almost the same. Just wondering how true that is. I'm using the the QRL 1 right now, and nothing compares for me, so it'd be nice to have another option available.

I've heard that 1x is extremely similar to QRL. The top of line low kick point sticks from two top tier companies.
Honestly the thing that would make me choose QRL over 1x is how freaking beautiful the QRL looks. I'd say the 1x looks below average for a hockey stick.

Desmond Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 05:47 PM
  #1083
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I've heard a lot of people having durability problems with True sticks. Does it seem to be easier to damage than other sticks? I know that Easton had a pretty bad rep a few years ago with how fragile their sticks were.
I have some minor chipping in the toe of my A6.0, but it's been going strong for 2+ years! No complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I've heard that 1x is extremely similar to QRL. The top of line low kick point sticks from two top tier companies.
Honestly the thing that would make me choose QRL over 1x is how freaking beautiful the QRL looks. I'd say the 1x looks below average for a hockey stick.
I have a 1X, love the puck feel, shooting is a bit disappointing for me. Not as quick of a release as I'd hoped.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
  #1084
jorbjorb
hello.
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
anyone have good luck with all black hockey stick? a teammate brought his to our game last night and he said he loved it. Trying to get more reviews before the plunge.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 08:12 PM
  #1085
Desmond Hume
Not A Troll
 
Desmond Hume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
anyone have good luck with all black hockey stick? a teammate brought his to our game last night and he said he loved it. Trying to get more reviews before the plunge.
I hear such a huge variety of reviews for ABHS.
Some people say they are amazing and can't tell the difference between ABHS and top end Bauer sticks.
Others say ABHS is pure garbage.

I really want one but I'm not sure who to believe.

Desmond Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:10 AM
  #1086
jnk96
@janikbeichler
 
jnk96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: At the rink.
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I hear such a huge variety of reviews for ABHS.
Some people say they are amazing and can't tell the difference between ABHS and top end Bauer sticks.
Others say ABHS is pure garbage.

I really want one but I'm not sure who to believe.
It's all about expectations. If you want a high-end stick, don't buy an ABHS. If you want a $100 stick that's better than the average $100 stick, ABHS are probably great. If you want a high-end stick for less money, get a True.

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:32 AM
  #1087
jorbjorb
hello.
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I hear such a huge variety of reviews for ABHS.
Some people say they are amazing and can't tell the difference between ABHS and top end Bauer sticks.
Others say ABHS is pure garbage.

I really want one but I'm not sure who to believe.
yeah 100 bucks is too much of a gamble for me. It sucks that I can't get a feel for it in a store.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 05:04 PM
  #1088
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
yeah 100 bucks is too much of a gamble for me. It sucks that I can't get a feel for it in a store.
Having only picked one up, and investigated it I can only provide you with limited feedback.

It felt like the weight and balance of a middle stick think bauer supreme 180 or something like that. I can't say how well it keeps its pop or feels on the puck but the people at my rink who use them seem to like them well enough.

Bauer Supreme 190s have went on sale a couple of times recently at the online retailers for ~$85+shipping. IMO it is better to look for a deal like that if you can wait.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 08:41 AM
  #1089
jorbjorb
hello.
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Having only picked one up, and investigated it I can only provide you with limited feedback.

It felt like the weight and balance of a middle stick think bauer supreme 180 or something like that. I can't say how well it keeps its pop or feels on the puck but the people at my rink who use them seem to like them well enough.

Bauer Supreme 190s have went on sale a couple of times recently at the online retailers for ~$85+shipping. IMO it is better to look for a deal like that if you can wait.
really? here in Canada I can only find a 170 for 109CAD

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 04:10 PM
  #1090
Galchenyuksnipes
Gaston for coach
 
Galchenyuksnipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 50
I still like the Sherwood EK15 better than any top of the line stick.

They are sick, good feel, incredibly light and the low kick is super responsive, haven't tried the more recent model as I still get EK15's super cheap, bought 6 last time lol.

Galchenyuksnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2017, 05:52 PM
  #1091
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuksnipes View Post
I still like the Sherwood EK15 better than any top of the line stick.

They are sick, good feel, incredibly light and the low kick is super responsive, haven't tried the more recent model as I still get EK15's super cheap, bought 6 last time lol.
I've seen sales on them for $99. No brainer!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 12:37 AM
  #1092
Galchenyuksnipes
Gaston for coach
 
Galchenyuksnipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I've seen sales on them for $99. No brainer!
I order from HockeyMonkey when they have good clearance sales but if anybody knows of a cheaper place please tell. Last time I ordered around Christmas and they were 2 for 1 (True 5.2s too! Great sticks)

Quebec stores I go to have been outta EK15s for a while and are usually more expensive.

Galchenyuksnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 04:17 PM
  #1093
TGWL
Registered User
 
TGWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Anyone ever went through the process of using True's warranty on sticks?
I really wanted to. I was very unhappy with the durability on the stick, but I didn't use the stick right away. I waited until my other stick broke and it was too late to use the warranty. I bought the True 5.2 stick and it lasted 4 games. Broke down on the ankle of the shaft. Not going to lie, for those 4 games - that was the best stick handling stick I ever used. Everything felt so smooth. So i figured it was bad luck and bought another - same thing, lasted roughly 5-6 games. Just a huge disappointment and I probably should have contacted them regardless of the warranty being up.

TGWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 06:20 PM
  #1094
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuksnipes View Post
I order from HockeyMonkey when they have good clearance sales but if anybody knows of a cheaper place please tell. Last time I ordered around Christmas and they were 2 for 1 (True 5.2s too! Great sticks)

Quebec stores I go to have been outta EK15s for a while and are usually more expensive.
Are they still good deals after you account for shipping and currency conversion?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 06:25 PM
  #1095
patricebateman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
I really wanted to. I was very unhappy with the durability on the stick, but I didn't use the stick right away. I waited until my other stick broke and it was too late to use the warranty. I bought the True 5.2 stick and it lasted 4 games. Broke down on the ankle of the shaft. Not going to lie, for those 4 games - that was the best stick handling stick I ever used. Everything felt so smooth. So i figured it was bad luck and bought another - same thing, lasted roughly 5-6 games. Just a huge disappointment and I probably should have contacted them regardless of the warranty being up.
Yeah man, I love my 5.2 but I had the same thing with it breaking down like that. They said they would replace it but then told me they can't ship a new one until May 15th of this year. Love their sticks but that was a bit of a turn off.

patricebateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 10:13 PM
  #1096
Galchenyuksnipes
Gaston for coach
 
Galchenyuksnipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Are they still good deals after you account for shipping and currency conversion?
Decent, better than what I pay in Quebec for sure.

I live about 20 minutes from the border so I ship them to a warehouse in the states for 5 bucks and benefit from free shipping. Depending on the stick, I usually pay anywhere from 110 to 130 CAD which is great for a high end stick (~85-100US$).

Galchenyuksnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 10:19 PM
  #1097
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 20,822
vCash: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
I really wanted to. I was very unhappy with the durability on the stick, but I didn't use the stick right away. I waited until my other stick broke and it was too late to use the warranty. I bought the True 5.2 stick and it lasted 4 games. Broke down on the ankle of the shaft. Not going to lie, for those 4 games - that was the best stick handling stick I ever used. Everything felt so smooth. So i figured it was bad luck and bought another - same thing, lasted roughly 5-6 games. Just a huge disappointment and I probably should have contacted them regardless of the warranty being up.
My XCore 9 broke after 4 games, that was 2 weeks ago. I sent it back on the last day of the warranty, which was last Friday. It broke on a slap shot right in the middle and was about to break lower on the backside of the shaft likely due to a slash. A bit disappointed by the durability of this first stick, hoping the next one they send me back lasts longer. I could be getting their new stick releasing in March, the XC9 ACF. If the second one doesn't last longer, I'm going back to Bauer sticks. My Nexus 1N is badly damaged (chipped toe) but is still functional, after 6 months of use including the ball hockey world championships.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 08:12 AM
  #1098
TGWL
Registered User
 
TGWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Are they still good deals after you account for shipping and currency conversion?
If you're looking for a budget, maybe try hockeystickman.com (Canada)

I used them twice. Shipping to states is a bit much but luckily I went in with another 2 friends who purchased, making it affordable. They sell pro stock and refurbished sticks - which they give a good warranty on. I picked up 2 refurbished sticks to see for myself if the website accurately describe getting a stick that feels new. I bought them around 8-9 months ago and they're still going strong. I was skeptical at first but the sticks were well worth the price.

TGWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 10:07 PM
  #1099
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
If you're looking for a budget, maybe try hockeystickman.com (Canada)

I used them twice. Shipping to states is a bit much but luckily I went in with another 2 friends who purchased, making it affordable. They sell pro stock and refurbished sticks - which they give a good warranty on. I picked up 2 refurbished sticks to see for myself if the website accurately describe getting a stick that feels new. I bought them around 8-9 months ago and they're still going strong. I was skeptical at first but the sticks were well worth the price.
I would personally not use refurbished sticks, but I've heard good things from rec players and wishy-washy sentiments from more skilled players, as expected.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2017, 08:27 PM
  #1100
BestPlayerAvailable
RIP Ed Snider
 
BestPlayerAvailable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,610
vCash: 500
Any recommendations on a Sr 75 flex stick under $150?

BestPlayerAvailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.