HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this season a success no matter what?

Old
02-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Chardo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Gorden View Post
About as much as you liked going 23 years between winning playoff series.

Exactly. Wishing for success, followed by extended failure as the price to pay, doesn't make sense. Extended failure is miserable. Take it from those who know.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I don't think it has been (obviously still in progress)

But the fact that their record and the eye test are in direct opposition (usually) makes me wonder about the smoke and mirrors aspect.

Last night is a great example. Horrid game. Painful to watch. A shorttie. That cough up by Staal. Zib looking uninterested. I mean what the hell are these guys doing out there???

Vesey and Holden were the only standouts in a positive way.

Way too often this season this team has looked like bottom feeders on a night to night basis.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:44 AM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Whenever people don't appreciate this team (and the ones from the last few years in general) I always wonder if they were fans from 1998-2004.
Expectations are a lot different, with those teams you just hoped they were good of enough just to sneak in. Then from 06-11, my expectation was them to go as far as the ECF since I never seen them get that far as a fan. Since 2012, the expectation is to win the Cup especially 2014 and 2015 seasons getting so close there. To me every year Lundqvist doesn't have a Cup to his resume is a failure considering how big he has been to this franchise.

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Ola

I think its kind of pointless to discuss things in terms of success or not, and that it leads the thought a bit wrong.

All you can do is to give things your best shot. To do a good job, whatever the short and long term goals that you have. Results is something different than this, and what a success is in terms of success in the standings or in the POs, is basically only a matter of each and everyone of us subjective opinion.

If you don't look at it from this perspective, its easy to get caught up in setting goals and trying to deliver in relation to those goals, when in reality the results in a year is out of control for management and the team.

Because with the marginals being as small as they are, results are really out of control. Having a massive amount of injuries in a long PO series, is not bad luck. Its something you will get to a different extent, a pretty decent chunks of all runs cannot go all the way because too many core players were damaged gods. Hockey is also a game of percentages, some pucks go in, some don't. Its not within someone's absolute control, it just isn't. Its completely random if they go in or not. This -- of course -- decides many runs. Take the year Tampa made it to the POs, our win against Washington was nothing but a coin toss. Nothing else. Had nothing to do with how good we or Washington was. Rewatch game 7, its completely random which team wins that game. We play 0-0 for a long time against Tampa, they get the first goal. That is also completely random. Sure, after Tampa took the lead -- we were a flat team. No doubt. But if we get a bounce and scores the first goal, that game completely changes character. And all PO runs are like that, you can lose in in round 2 or make the finals, due to complete random factors.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

I would say so. They've successfully brought along Vesey, Buch, Skjei as rookies. Hayes and Millers took really big steps forward in their development. They caught lightning in a bottle with Grabner, and they swapped Brassard for a kid that was oozing offensive skill, finesse, and power before getting hurt. The forward depth has been established, and now Gorton can work to try to fix the defense. This isn't a one year process, and rebuilding on the fly is never easy.

Mac n Gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:48 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think its kind of pointless to discuss things in terms of success or not, and that it leads the thought a bit wrong.

All you can do is to give things your best shot. To do a good job, whatever the short and long term goals that you have. Results is something different than this, and what a success is in terms of success in the standings or in the POs, is basically only a matter of each and everyone of us subjective opinion.

If you don't look at it from this perspective, its easy to get caught up in setting goals and trying to deliver in relation to those goals, when in reality the results in a year is out of control for management and the team.

Because with the marginals being as small as they are, results are really out of control. Having a massive amount of injuries in a long PO series, is not bad luck. Its something you will get to a different extent, a pretty decent chunks of all runs cannot go all the way because too many core players were damaged gods. Hockey is also a game of percentages, some pucks go in, some don't. Its not within someone's absolute control, it just isn't. Its completely random if they go in or not. This -- of course -- decides many runs. Take the year Tampa made it to the POs, our win against Washington was nothing but a coin toss. Nothing else. Had nothing to do with how good we or Washington was. Rewatch game 7, its completely random which team wins that game. We play 0-0 for a long time against Tampa, they get the first goal. That is also completely random. Sure, after Tampa took the lead -- we were a flat team. No doubt. But if we get a bounce and scores the first goal, that game completely changes character. And all PO runs are like that, you can lose in in round 2 or make the finals, due to complete random factors.
Well hockey has always been a game of mistakes---and mistakes occur all game long every single game. The mistakes continually feed off each other--and then someone makes a play and a goal is scored which is great for the one side and a huge mistake for the other.

As far as the playoffs--there's so much luck that is involved. An officiating decision, injuries depleting a roster, a matter of an inch between a post and a win. All these things can mean the difference between winning and losing--though there is the matter of will sometimes too. One side seeming to gain it and the other to lose it. There seemed to be a bit of that last year for us.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Rather than av..they extended him. I call it a failure on that alone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
It's a success in terms of development. Hayes, Miller have grown into go to players in all situations. Kreider is on target to score 30. Buchnevich and Vesey show the potential to be good scorers. Skjei has proven he was the right pick and will be a big part of the future on the back end.

But if they fail to win a round, it will be a failure. This isn't last year. The team has improved depth. They must do better in the playoffs this time. I don't care what the match-up is. It will be interesting.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote