HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How are the Avs so bad?

Old
02-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The Avs should not be anywhere near this bad with the talent they have. They (the skaters) must be trying to get someone fired.
Create two forward lines and two defensive pairings that don't feature at least one guy who shouldn't be in the NHL above the 4th line or higher than a #7 D. There is no talent there outside of 7 guys, one of which is a rookie, one a 21 year old in his first full NHL season and one a waiver pickup earlier this season. Talent

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Beaudet

vCash: 500
They had a record of 9-9-0 on November 21. Since then, 6-28-2. That is not a team tanking kind of bad, that's expansion team kind of bad.

Beaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Create two forward lines and two defensive pairings that don't feature at least one guy who shouldn't be in the NHL above the 4th line or higher than a #7 D. There is no talent there outside of 7 guys, one of which is a rookie, one a 21 year old in his first full NHL season and one a waiver pickup earlier this season. Talent
So what is the big change from last year to this year? I know they weren't great last year either but they were in the playoff hunt until the 2nd half of the season. I don't think the roster is that different. So how come they were able to get better results last season vs this season?

Is it just the EJ injury and coaching change?

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
zeke
#freewilly

What are they, 6-25-1 since EJ broke his leg?

That guy is a hellaunderrated dman.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
FlameChampion

vCash: 587
Havent read the responses. I think they are similar to the Oilers in previous years though. They have talent on their roster. If anything the Avalanche have better defensive pieces than the Oilers of previous years. I think the problem is most likely off the ice. I would suspect that the Avs players have lost the game (mentally and psychologically) before they have even played the game.

I know people bash the Lucic contract (I will admit on paper that it doesnt look good). But I think in the Oilers dressing room they know they have McDavid who is crazy talented, they know they have a good goalie, and they know they have 5-6 guys who will have their backs at any point in the game.

I think the Avalanche have a weak mentality and it affects them before they even get on the ice.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
So what is the big change from last year to this year? I know they weren't great last year either but they were in the playoff hunt until the 2nd half of the season. I don't think the roster is that different. So how come they were able to get better results last season vs this season?

Is it just the EJ injury and coaching change?
Soderberg quit on the coach because he was being misused, Beauchemin fell off a cliff, same for Iginla, every depth player took a step back and the coach is unwilling to adjust the game plan to fit his players. Not to mention that they had at least decent goaltending last season, and this season it has been at the bottom of the league.

The roster had terrible depth last year, this year it is reaching all time bad levels. Bad teams in the past had depth players who played hard and at least made an effort, this team is completely listless and lifeless outside of Nate, Gabe, Matt, Z, Tyson, Nietto and Mikko.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:55 AM
GermanDangler29

They're so bad that anyone who cheers for them gets an instant L.

GermanDangler29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:22 AM
FormerBruinsFan

They can't score goals yet they want to move their best forwards for dmen. If and when they move Landy and or Duchene, they will be left with MacKinnon and Rantanen as top 6 forwards. This team is a mess and will be a bottom feeder for the next several years. Horrible defence but their forwards are horrible too.

FormerBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Likely said above, and certainly mentioned in other threads; the Avs are the new Oilers. Lots of skill, but not enough meat and potatoes. Poor direction from management, and a lack of quality coaching.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Terry Yake

who knew erik johnson was so valuable

question for avs fans, is bednar gone after this season?

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper

vCash: 455
This might be the worst 30 seconds of hockey I've ever seen.

Last edited by Headshot77: 02-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Headshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:42 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
Likely said above, and certainly mentioned in other threads; the Avs are the new Oilers. Lots of skill, but not enough meat and potatoes. Poor direction from management, and a lack of quality coaching.
This is such a lazy meme, name all of this skill Colorado apparently has. Bet you can't go deeper than 7 names before you start hitting guys who are playing like career AHLers. I'll even spot you the 7 names of talent: MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, Rantanen, Johnson, Barrie and Zadorov.

I'll even give a hint about who to look at next, they were both picked up this season off of waivers. So now, one more time, were is all of this skill?

Last edited by cgf: 02-17-2017 at 12:03 PM.
cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Their defense is bad......

Four good players can't overcome 15 average to below average players.

Teams work because every player because each player that is dressed has the ability to excecute their role / assignment.

Avs are playing with 3 3rd pairing / AHL defensemen.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Rambokala

I think the team gave up a long time ago. Snowball effect. Maybe next season.

Rambokala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:48 AM
devbouz12

I feel bad for avs fans, pathetic team

devbouz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Pretty much every depth player on the team is in one or more of the following category:

* AHLer: Goloubef, Martinsen, Gelinas and so on.
* Complacent veterans with nothing left in the tank: Iginla, Beauchemin, Tyutin, Mitchell, Comeau
* Soft player without any will to battle: Colborne, Weircioch, Söderberg, Grigorenko

When 75% of the roster can't or won't play winning hockey, this is what you get.

Things started going to hell when they added these veterans (Stuart, Iginla, Beauchemin) to take them over the top. Less effort from the team every season from then. Should never have done it. It was obvious Avs weren't ready to compete for a cup yet.

At least by the summer of 2018 most of these bums should be gone.

Last edited by Freudian: 02-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4uston Matthews View Post
I think you just overrate the Avs "talent" and they are right where they belong tbh.

Landeskog? Hasn't developed into a powerforward like they thought he would...also has a lot pressure on his shoulders from being named the youngest captain in NHL history. Looks like a grinder at this point in his career.

Duchene? Has regressed and regressed since his 70 pt season

MacKinnon? Looks like a talented player with tools but no toolbox, can't elevate his game to a higher level like the best players do

Rantanen? He was a mid 1st round pick and looks like one. Not a game changer.

Barrie? Overrated

Johnson? Overrated

Varlamov? Only one I'd say you build around going forward. Is clearly just having an awful year because of the team in front of him.
Its not as simple as you make it. Even talented players need to be placed in the correct situation to succeed.

Those players aren't overrated....they are playing in roles where they have too much responsibility.

Barrie should be a 2nd pairing defense men, QB the power play. He should not be matched up again the opposing teams top players. Put him in a position to maximize his skills.

For Mackinon and Duchene the question is simply: what defesnemen can get them the puck ? Do they have linemates that match their pace, hockey sense ?

Do you need a play making winger for Mackinnon ?

There are many issues when a team has a roster with pieces that don't fit or pieces that aren't pieces at all.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
They're on pace to be worse than the two historically horrible tank teams Buffalo deliberately put on the ice, devoid of almost any decent NHL players. The Avs have some real talent - Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Soderberg, Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov/Pickard

once upon a time, we asked the same thing about a quebec nordiques team that had joe sakic, mats sundin, owen nolan, scott young, valeri kamensky, martin rucinsky, kip miller (1990 hobey baker winner), the late stephane morin (1989 QMJHL MVP and leading scorer in the CHL), a highly regarded young defenseman in curtis leschyshyn (3rd overall in the '88 draft), the tragic bryan fogarty, adam foote, and two extremely promising young goalies in ron tugnutt and stephane fiset (1989 CHL goalie of the year, top goalie at the 1990 WJC).

that '92 quebec team finished second last in the league, ahead only of the san jose sharks in their first season.

but you trade away a generational talent, dump some more dead weight, add a few veterans, maybe also add the greatest goaile of all time, and...

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
hagelin1381

that is truly terrible. no organization, no anything. can't imagine too many avs fans watch every game at this point

hagelin1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:45 PM
aemoreira1981

Someone should doctor the C to make it an L as that's how they're playing They finally get it out and are then offside...somebody stop the damn season! Since Erik Johnson broke his leg in a loss to Dallas that dropped the Avs to 9-13-1, the Avalanche have gone 6-24-1 and are 3-14-1 in 2017, beating the Islanders, Jets, and Habs only; Therrien was fired soon after as Habs coach.

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 02-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.
aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Terry Yake

looks like something from a beer league game

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
What are they, 6-25-1 since EJ broke his leg?

That guy is a hellaunderrated dman.
Ya the guy is a legit #1, and when you only have 2 top 4 dmen, you REALLY can't afford to lose your #1 dman

02-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Panthaz89

I thought the Sabres were playing a scrimmage yesterday because the AVs were so slow and unmotivated....usually teams have 35-40 shots against the Sabres by the end of the game due to turtling while it seems like they were just terrible 90% of the game.

Panthaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:30 PM
WhatThePuck
"We Got Some Looks"

I like MacKinnon but Jones would have been the wiser choice imo.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagelin1381 View Post
that is truly terrible. no organization, no anything. can't imagine too many avs fans watch every game at this point
I know there is a gif floating around here somewhere of two avs defensemen missing like three passes in a row to each other with no forecheck. Eventually the goalie gets tired of the ****show and covers the puck.

Alex Jones is online now   Reply With Quote