HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers at New York Islanders 2/16/17

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2017, 10:29 AM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick of Time View Post
Him and Giradi are competing with each other. For worst bonehead play of the season. So far Staal has the winner. That was pretty bad. But I still have more faith in Staal than Giradi at this point.
I think Staal is worse. Can't skate, kills the offense, can't move the puck out of the zone, doesn't block shots, always trailing the play, softer than Charmin.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
You had to be there

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Man was Staal that bad last night ?
I usually defend Staal and he was beyond Girardi-esque last night. It was embarassing to watch.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:42 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

One regular season loss with over 20+ games left, why act like the Rangers had to win it out? Lose to a team ahead then they are not a real contender, lose to a team below - no intensity or such and such player is horrible and should be traded. Just a road loss after an impressive 6 game win streak. Happens.

Old
02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
ponytrekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
One regular season loss with over 20+ games left, why act like the Rangers had to win it out? Lose to a team ahead then they are not a real contender, lose to a team below - no intensity or such and such player is horrible and should be traded. Just a road loss after an impressive 6 game win streak. Happens.
It's the Isles. Smelling a fart is bad but when your little brother farts into your pillow it is worse.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Geoff Gorden
Fire me

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
I think Staal is worse. Can't skate, kills the offense, can't move the puck out of the zone, doesn't block shots, always trailing the play, softer than Charmin.
Hes not worse, but hes closer than people want to admit.

He's pretty good at defending against the rush and hes still a good PK'er but thats about it. G does neither of those things well.

He's been bad for most of the season and 2015-16 level of bad since he came back from the concussion. His inability to move the puck out of the zone led to plays that eventually resulted in goals against in the Nashville and Colorado games and its easy to forget that he was the one who turned the puck over that led to Hartnell almost getting a breakaway against Columbus before he broke himself.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

Staal is one of the hardest players in the league to watch when he's playing poorly.

He does absolutely nothing well if he's not using his reach and/or body to break up plays. And he's soft as baby **** too.

02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
It's the Isles. Smelling a fart is bad but when your little brother farts into your pillow it is worse.
So, most here are 18 to justify this reaction? When you're mature you'd just wrinkle your nose and move on.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Machinehead
Weidmanns Heil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Man was Staal that bad last night ?
Let me put it this way: he was +4 in corsi and I still thought he was terrible.

6/14/17 - 7/1/17; THE TWO-WEEK REBUILD
Old
02-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Staal was bad last night but he has been significantly better than Girardi this season and frankly, for their entire careers.

Girardi last night looked like he was skating with weights tied to his legs. I swear every time he went to a puck behind our goal line he got beat to it and he was just grabbing on to the forechecker. He was slow to begin with but man his movement has deteriorated big time.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Didn't really watch the game last night, but something I've been noticing recently that has been pissing me off..

On the PP, I've seen Zibanejad on the right-point a lot more than I've seen him set up in the left-wing circle.

Did that continue last night?

'Member in preseason & early in the year when Clendening was feeding Zibanejad and Pirri and they were just bombing away with Kreider in front of the goalie?

I 'member.

Zib shot attempts per 60 5v4 play:

Pre-injury: 30.68
Post-injury: 21.02
Yes...again last night...sigh

Old
02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yes...again last night...sigh
Brutal.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:23 PM
bl02

You never know what you're gonna get with staal and especially post injury its usually bad.
Last night he Made Gionta look like a beastly power forward taking him off the puck like that. just disgraceful.

Old
02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

Plays in all 3 zones have been dying on Zibs stick. I still have high hopes for him but I'm really getting worried. He accept the puck in like he is catching a raw egg but they bounce off his stick like its sheet rock. I have not seen a Ranger player have such a hard time keeping the puck on his stick in a long time (other than Tanner Glass).

Old
02-17-2017, 01:29 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Six str8 wins and then we can't find the intestinal fortitude to beat these ****ing ****** bags? This team is going nowhere in the playoffs. Is there a new rule saying that we are not allowed to body check in our defensive zone.? What a bunch of ****ing pansies. **** this. We are going nowhere.
Geez. Win 6 in a row. Lose on the road to a team trying to get into the playoffs and some fans **** their pants.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:57 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
Staal was bad last night but he has been significantly better than Girardi this season and frankly, for their entire careers.

Girardi last night looked like he was skating with weights tied to his legs. I swear every time he went to a puck behind our goal line he got beat to it and he was just grabbing on to the forechecker. He was slow to begin with but man his movement has deteriorated big time.
Staal drives me crazy watching him. He's soft as a pillow and does everything at 16 RPM in a 78 RPM league (for those who remember the old LP's). Girardi at least blocks shots and throws the occasional bodycheck, though his deterioration is painful to watch.

Neither of these guys could move the puck out of the zone on a dare, they just chip it around the boards, usually to the other team. If we had defenseman who could move the puck, no telling how many goals we'd score. Some of our young forwards are turning into beasts out there.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
This needs to be quoted every time we lose to Isles/Devils.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 2727
If Girardi and Staal raced who do people think would win? I mean there is no real winner there but I actually think Girardi may be a better skater than Staal.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:55 PM
LiasAndersson
17-18 Calder Winner

That play where Gionta ran Staal to setup laad was brutal. Had Holden and the strong side winger wide open as options with no support on the forecheck to help Gionta and he turns right into him. Should have been a clean breakout. Real Turning point in the game.

His vision in that eye probably played a factor as his peripheral vision and awareness are affected from it.

Old
02-17-2017, 05:03 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Didn't really watch the game last night, but something I've been noticing recently that has been pissing me off..

On the PP, I've seen Zibanejad on the right-point a lot more than I've seen him set up in the left-wing circle.

Did that continue last night?

'Member in preseason & early in the year when Clendening was feeding Zibanejad and Pirri and they were just bombing away with Kreider in front of the goalie?

I 'member.

Zib shot attempts per 60 5v4 play:

Pre-injury: 30.68
Post-injury: 21.02
I think it's more likely a result of coming back from a broken leg than where he is positioned.

Old
02-17-2017, 05:30 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
If Girardi and Staal raced who do people think would win? I mean there is no real winner there but I actually think Girardi may be a better skater than Staal.
The tortoise.

Old
02-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Staal or Girardi......Girard and Staal. This needs to be official. An official vote. One or the other, take your pick who goes first, who goes second. I don't know goes third! Hmmm, a little Abbott and Costello for ya'.

Old
02-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Geez. Win 6 in a row. Lose on the road to a team trying to get into the playoffs and some fans **** their pants.
I have seen this before. Whether it's the devils or the islanders, when we lose to these sub-par teams it is a reflection of the lack of desire on the part of the Rangers. They don't want it bad enough. When they realize the opposition isn't going to lay down and let them have the game they just go through the motions. You never win the Cup with that kind of weak mentality.

I did not have high expectations going into the season, but this team showed they could score goals, and when the goal tending is right, we can win. But when other teams use tactics that slow us down in the neutral zone, we are unwilling to do the dirty work along the boards to create quality scoring chances, and we all try to play goalie in the D zone instead of taking the body. It's infuriating.

They had a chance to make a statement in that game and instead they played like cowards. That means that come playoff time, they will not do what it takes to win. As far as I am concerned, that game exposed them. We might make it to the 2nd round. maybe

"I just close my eyes and shoot."
Old
02-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well I hope that the "we've been giving up 30 shots a game so we suck" crowd is happy. We gave up fewer than 30 shots, I believe.
That is such an overrated type of "conversation". Seems if we give up more (so be it) as long as they're manageable shots and we get the rebounds.....then what is the harm? Change of posession. I will go on the limb and say we can "out duel" just about any team not named Pittsburgh with our quality scoring chances. And still say Pittsburgh can be had......just like we did when Hags ended their season. They are not team God himself.

Is this really about us getting outshot 35-25 but we end up winners 7 out of 10x with those shot totals? Seems ridiculous to me, how its being dwelled on right now. This is still the regular season, if it continues in the PO's, then we may have issues.

Old
02-19-2017, 01:33 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
I didn't enjoy that.

Ice at the Barclays is pathetic. The puck was bouncing around like a super ball.
You really appreciate how bad the ice is when you see it in person. The Islanders seem to know where all the bad bounces will go too. Nice home ice advantage for them.

Old
02-19-2017, 05:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I have seen this before. Whether it's the devils or the islanders, when we lose to these sub-par teams it is a reflection of the lack of desire on the part of the Rangers. They don't want it bad enough. When they realize the opposition isn't going to lay down and let them have the game they just go through the motions. You never win the Cup with that kind of weak mentality.

I did not have high expectations going into the season, but this team showed they could score goals, and when the goal tending is right, we can win. But when other teams use tactics that slow us down in the neutral zone, we are unwilling to do the dirty work along the boards to create quality scoring chances, and we all try to play goalie in the D zone instead of taking the body. It's infuriating.

They had a chance to make a statement in that game and instead they played like cowards. That means that come playoff time, they will not do what it takes to win. As far as I am concerned, that game exposed them. We might make it to the 2nd round. maybe
Deriving a team's entire identity from one game males zero sense.

Closed Thread