HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should the big 4 of the Metro be aiming for the WC spot?

Old
02-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Luigi Lemieux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Would it be an easier matchup to play Montreal rather than Pitt/CBJ/NYR? Yeah, probably. But no team is going to actively lose games to do that.

Speaks more to the silly playoff format. Give me 1v8 errryday.
Sure looked like NYI threw their last game last year to avoid Pittsburgh and play Florida. They might not try and score in their own net, but it would certainly benefit NYR to give their players plenty of rest down the stretch. That WC1 spot looks very attractive compared to going through the Metro gauntlet.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
FinRanger

If you want to win a championship you must be able to beat everyone

FinRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRanger View Post
If you want to win a championship you must be able to beat everyone
I know you're being sarcastic but a lot of people do feel this way. Imo matchups can matter a lot. I don't think the 2009 Penguins win the cup if they ran into NJ or Boston that year. Thankfully Carolina took them out.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
FinRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I know you're being sarcastic but a lot of people do feel this way. Imo matchups can matter a lot. I don't think the 2009 Penguins win the cup if they ran into NJ or Boston that year. Thankfully Carolina took them out.
Yes I was! I think it is a double-edged sword. It matters who they play against. But it also matters how the team itself feels about the subject. If they think that if they want to win a championship they must win everyone and they can win everyone it could lift their spirit. But if they start to think that damn we don`t want to play against penguins or capitals cause we are not good enough then that is bad also.

I think resting the team before playoffs and playing some AHL guys would be the best tactic?

FinRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
yer leadin me astray

vCash: 350
Comments about teams not wanting the pressure of 'choosing' to play a weaker team made me think of an idea - made a new thread for it http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2190863

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Machinehead
Our Bayley is better

vCash: 50
Not the Rangers. Nobody in the league beats the Rangers more consistently than Montreal.

Yes the Rangers won in 2014. And if you include those two wins, the Rangers have beaten them like five times at the Bell Centre since the lockout.

02-17-2017, 01:27 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I miss the old standings of top eight automatically get in, dislike the wild card format.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:29 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
yer leadin me astray

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, there was that season where all the teams in the Lester Patrick division ended up finishing with a .500 or better record... And there were 6 teams in that division, while there was 5 in every other.
That was 87-88. The Pens were 6th with 81 points in 80 games, the Islanders were 1st with 88 points. The 6 teams were a combined 23 games over .500, and their combined goal differential was only like +65. While that was certainly a well balanced, solid division, I'd hardly call it dominate. The Metropolitan is 84 games over .500 (excluding shootout wins). Heck, even if you count all OT/SO as true losses they are still 49 games over .500, with a +137 goal differential. And there is still ~25 games left in the season.

This year's Metro >> 87-88 Patrick

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:59 PM
traparatus

If you can get 1st in the east, you do it. If you are 4th in the Metro, you enjoy it. Nobody wants any part of Metro 2nd VS Metro 3rd.

One interesting scenario would be if Pittsburgh slows down due to injuries and ends up 4th in the Metro. Come playoffs, they get their full roster back and lay waste to the Atlantic. We then enjoy Pittsburgh VS Washington Conference final. I would like that.

traparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
How did that work out for them?

At the same time I was told that the Pens were screwed because the had to run a gauntlet. First round was the 7th best scoring team in the league, second the Caps, the team with the best record in the league, the third round was the Lightning. Then the Sharks who most said would handle them easily. They in fact faced some of the best offensive and defensive teams in the league in their four seriess and I actually think that it helped them to do so.

I have many memories of Pens' teams in the past who were said could not be beat going into the playoffs who flamed out in spectacular fashion.

The old adage be careful what you wish for is never more true than with NHL playoff opponents.
The Isles did manage to win a play-off series, which was the first time in a long time that happened. So I'd say it worked out pretty well in that case.

I do agree with you overall though, teams try to win in the regular season because you want positive momentum, and if you're a serious contender you're going to have to beat them eventually.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Panthaz89

What's the point...you are going to face someone eventually that has beat the said team you were trying to avoid or you might end up facing that team anyway. Odds are if that team lost you have a different monster to deal with anyway overall you are going to be playing the team that is dangerous because the difference in NHL teams isn't that significant in the top 16 a few bad games can turn off all momentum at any time.

Panthaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
traparatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthaz89 View Post
What's the point...you are going to face someone eventually that has beat the said team you were trying to avoid or you might end up facing that team anyway. Odds are if that team lost you have a different monster to deal with anyway overall you are going to be playing the team that is dangerous because the difference in NHL teams isn't that significant in the top 16 a few bad games can turn off all momentum at any time.
The point is that then you don't have to hear about how Caps can never get out of the second round, on repeat for 12 month straight. I'm Caps fan. I embrace all victories, no matter how small.

traparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Satastic
Hold onfor your life

I'm just tired of playing LA
Yeah they're rivals, and that's all fun, but god.

Satastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I try not to worry much about matchups as a CBJ fan.

This team is so young and still developing, I just want to see them play consistently well and generate some momentum going down the stretch. The window is beginning to open, it will be different next season.

I don't have high expectations. The 2nd round of the playoffs would be something new and very rewarding to the fan base.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

It would be hilarious if whoever finishes in the 1st wc gets kicked out by the team that finishes 1st in the Atlantic.

Teams should not underestimate other teams.

Assuming Montreal finishes 1st, they will be a tough team to beat if Price gets his game back.

The Cake Is A Lie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
I'm obviously not in marketing or anything of the sort, so I wouldn't know, but is this "building rivalries" thing working? Is it getting more fans into the game? How do you feel about it?

To be honest, as a fan of the sport of ice hockey, all I'm looking for in a product is great teams playing great games. I have preferred/favorite teams, but deep down, I don't really give two ***** about any current (or brewing) rivalries with an opposing franchise. But that's jsut me though.
Great teams playing great games was a hallmark of ore-Cap playoff hockey when you'd have star-studded rosters going at it every wear in the conference finals and Cup finals. The cap world rosters are pretty poor imitations of what once existed.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
coolboarder

If that happens, then NHL should scrap that WC and go straight with divisional playoff bracket and adjust the schedule matrix to 5-2 or 6-2 depending on # of divisions. With this modification, the NHL teams will no longer intentionally aim for WC if they are in top 4.

coolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 700 View Post
You can't prove it but the Islanders tanked the final few games last year to dodge Pittsburgh.
Why didn't they just lose to the Rangers in the final few games and make it much easier on themselves? They could have rested up for an extra 3-4 days. Maybe because the idea that they tanked is complete bunk?

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:03 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Would it be an easier matchup to play Montreal rather than Pitt/CBJ/NYR? Yeah, probably. But no team is going to actively lose games to do that.

Speaks more to the silly playoff format. Give me 1v8 errryday.
Isles tanked the last game last season to sink to wc 1, so that they would play florida instead of washington. Rangers fans were also hoping to get that spot.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
Isles tanked the last game last season to sink to wc 1, so that they would play florida instead of washington. Rangers fans were also hoping to get that spot.
It was actually Pittsburgh they would have played. I believe Philly was finishing 8th no matter what, and were going to play Washington.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
piteus

All I know is that I dont want to be 2nd or 3rd in the Metro. A walk through Hades would be easier than the road to the Finals for the 2nd/3rd place Metro finisher.

piteus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Calendal

No playoff format with more than 2 teams is ever really fair.

Calendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Mysterion

All I care about as a Sens fan is not playing the Pens

Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Same old Caps

vCash: 439
If you're a Metro team, you want to finish first or WC1. First has home ice for the entire playoffs and an easy matchup in the first round. WC1 goes in the Atlantic bracket. 2nd and 3rd place in the Metro is death.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:20 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

Even though the 1st wildcard is an easier route, whoever finishes in that spot should absolutely not think of their opponent as a cake walk.

The Cake Is A Lie is online now   Reply With Quote