HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLers you admire as a person

Old
02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farms86 View Post
He said himself?!?! Well then, we should absolutely take the word of a self centered me first attention starved, teammate hated d-bag

No, no he isn't. You should tell your kid to look at Subban and be the complete opposite of him
Anyone would be lucky to have their children turn out anywhere as near a good a person as Subban. You're ridiculous.

I know for a fact that he goes when cameras aren't around due to someone I know who works at the sick kids hospital in Montreal. The amount of publicity he generates by having cameras there and the announcements he's made, though, helps create more donations. Stop thinking that this is completely self-serving.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Cromster

7 pages in and Scott Hartnell has only one tiny mention. Smh, then again threads like this are usually just thinly veiled popularity contests

If the whole Hartnell down charity wasn't enough, the dude signed that Pens Fan's Fartsmell jersey, lol.

What more do you want from a guy?

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Peanut

vCash: 50
Subban hard not to admire him with all his dedication. I just wish Montreal didn't lose him

Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
mcdangles14

Pat Kane, Doughty, Carter, Giroux....all absolute legends.

mcdangles14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
He said himself?!?! Well then, we should absolutely take the word of a self centered me first attention starved, teammate hated d-bag

No, no he isn't. You should tell your kid to look at Subban and be the complete opposite of him

LOL no id tell my kids that what happens in a game is completely irrelevant compared to helping kids with cancer. And if you had to judge people on how they play a game vs how they treat sick people id tell them that the game is meaningless. Im sure your kids aren't going to be d-bags ? Oh wait..

IceManCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:11 PM
TorontoBlueJays
Marner's Wheelhouse

Subban

TorontoBlueJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:13 PM
dechire
Janmark Enthusiast

Definitely an unpopular opinion around here but of the players I've met in person Antoine Roussel is by far the most accommodating for fans. He's a guy that will go out of his way to greet and sign things for fans after practice. Sometimes he's the only guy that comes out and you imagine that he'd probably like to go out the other exit like the rest of the team but he still comes out and signs anything you want or takes pictures with any fan that asks. I have nothing against guys like Jamie Benn that never come out because I imagine it's a huge hassle but I have a lot of appreciation for Roussel who definitely doesn't have to do it but still chooses to. And he's always been friendly to me while doing it. As a person who's pretty awkward and antisocial I admire that.

dechire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Hulleux
Corgi police

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I don't talk to people at the airport either.
how dare you

Quote:
You need a link proving that it's Subban's foundation who is collecting money in hopes of reaching the amount that one day might be donated?

When you plan to visit McGill Hospital I can give you the name of the staff who told me. Deal?

Yes, we can. It wasn't his money, but he was glad to take the publicity to build his brand. And if you really think other players weren't "giving back" prior, it shows how little you know about the charity work the vast majority of players do, without the need to get on TV
My father is stronger than urs !111!!!!!1

Hulleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
WetHotAmericanSutter

In general I admire Crosby and P.K. Subban but out of the ones I've met I think Tom Wilson, Mark Messier, Connor Brown and Dougie Hamilton are some of the nicest. Sat next to Mark Messier on a plane and had a great conversation, just a nice guy. Same goes for Tom Wilson, we spoke for around 20 minutes and he offered to take a photo with me. Mike Condon as well - met him at the airport on his way to a game in Detroit and he gave me an autograph, asked me for restaurant recommendations in Detroit. Great guy.

Can't say the same for Max Domi, Nik Ehlers or Jordan Subban unfortunately.

WetHotAmericanSutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:03 PM
habbydays

Carey Price

Love that he hunts and is an avid angler. Good BC boy. Seems to realize hockey isn't his whole life - I'd have a beer with him.

habbydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Bruinsforlife89

P.K. Subban

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:14 PM
DrakeBlake

Living near Toronto and going to leaf games (when i can afford it) I got to meet a bunch of players pregame and also at charities I attend. Here's jus I was able to actually talk to and not just nod at.

Some iffy ones with fans I've met 3+ times:
Jeff O'Neil, kessel and Seguin... they were all pretty cringe worthy. Swearing at people included.

Ok now the good!:

Subban: the dude you see on TV is the real guy. He's awesome to have a conversation with. More than happy to talk about life outside hockey. Loves his charities and absolutely friendly with all fan bases. For example, When in Toronto a group of leaf fans wanted a pic with him and he said "ofcourse!" Then started doing all funny poses like jumping in air and hugging the people. Met him 3 times and it's been a pleasure every time.

Lindros: I've heard some bad stories about him but both times I've ran into him (1 at charity and 1 at bar) he's been fantastic. Very friendly and willing to have a conversation with fans.

Reimer: he is HANDS DOWN the best person in the sports world I've met. This guy is so genuine. He will stand there fan an hour just talking and asking questions about YOU. 1 memory that really sticks with me is after the leaf game one day, he decided to take the subway home. Someone recognized him and word spread quickly. He signed and took photos with every single fan that approached him. Not once did he groan or look miserable. Always a smile on his face.

I don't want to write too much but a few quick names of other guys who seem to be great outside of hockey:
Rielly, Erik Cole, Ryan Miller, ott, wolski. and of course the many other guys people have mentioned in here, I'm just trying to think out the box about players I haven't seen mentioned yet.

DrakeBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
MagicianRules

For me it would be:

Crosby (really down-to-earth)
Burns (how can you not love this guy? + beard)
Mark Stone (yet another one of those late picks who turned out to be a gem)
... why did the Sens have to be smart enough to draft Stone?

Edit: haven't actually met Burns, but the other two were very courteous.

MagicianRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Huokaus

First three to come to mind: Subban, Jagr and Saku Koivu.

Subban simply seems like a very good person, and I admire how he has the guts to show some personality (especially in Montreal), something that the NHL lacks greatly.

Jagr is used to dislike, but nowadays I can't help but to like him. He just such a good example about how far you can push yourself when you lead a healthy lifestyle. Great sense of humour too.

Koivu just is the Finnish representative of a perfect human being à la Lidström.

Huokaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Channelcat

Subbans a fraud

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Ol Chunk O Coal

Erik Karlsson, for his general affability towards the young'ns

Ol Chunk O Coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:01 PM
ReddestRum

Subban. He's a showman. He does it helping the community. What the hell is the big deal with that?

If I had a foundation I was paying money for I would go out of my way to highlight it so others are aware that it exists and can donate to it as well.

People helping people and SOME... are worried about cameras, my god.

ReddestRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:27 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 638
Cullen and Suter

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Mark Scheifele.

Student of the game.

Great ambassador for the Jets.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Semantics
200 IQ passes

Andrew Ference because he was driving a Prius before it was cool.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeBlake View Post
Living near Toronto and going to leaf games (when i can afford it) I got to meet a bunch of players pregame and also at charities I attend. Here's jus I was able to actually talk to and not just nod at.

Some iffy ones with fans I've met 3+ times:
Jeff O'Neil, kessel and Seguin... they were all pretty cringe worthy. Swearing at people included.

Ok now the good!:

Subban: the dude you see on TV is the real guy. He's awesome to have a conversation with. More than happy to talk about life outside hockey. Loves his charities and absolutely friendly with all fan bases. For example, When in Toronto a group of leaf fans wanted a pic with him and he said "ofcourse!" Then started doing all funny poses like jumping in air and hugging the people. Met him 3 times and it's been a pleasure every time.

Lindros: I've heard some bad stories about him but both times I've ran into him (1 at charity and 1 at bar) he's been fantastic. Very friendly and willing to have a conversation with fans.

Reimer: he is HANDS DOWN the best person in the sports world I've met. This guy is so genuine. He will stand there fan an hour just talking and asking questions about YOU. 1 memory that really sticks with me is after the leaf game one day, he decided to take the subway home. Someone recognized him and word spread quickly. He signed and took photos with every single fan that approached him. Not once did he groan or look miserable. Always a smile on his face.

I don't want to write too much but a few quick names of other guys who seem to be great outside of hockey:
Rielly, Erik Cole, Ryan Miller, ott, wolski. and of course the many other guys people have mentioned in here, I'm just trying to think out the box about players I haven't seen mentioned yet.
Good stories. I'm not surprised PK Subban's the real deal, but it's nice to hear it from someone who's met him.

I'm really happy to hear James Reimer is as nice as I always thought. Seemed like a genuinely sweet guy who was mercilessly mistreated by fans and management in Toronto. He deserves the pat on the back.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote