HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #7

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Nithoniniel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Leave it to you to get up in arms over such an innocent comment.
Was that in regards to my comment?

I'm fairly certain Laine's own mother would not get worked up because someone said that a goal on basically an empty net came easy. Being so easily riled up can't be healthy.

Just to clarify to everyone and anyone, I didn't mean to imply anything negative in any way, nor did I have an agenda with that comment. It was simply an observation that I thought everyone would agree with.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Peggy

I really like how Laine keeps proving everyone wrong

Misses 8 games. Top 6 in goals
27 goals and 22 assists is a pretty good ratio

Old
02-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithoniniel View Post

I'm fairly certain Laine's own mother would not get worked up because someone said that a goal on basically an empty net came easy. Being so easily riled up can't be healthy.

Just to clarify to everyone and anyone, I didn't mean to imply anything negative in any way, nor did I have an agenda with that comment. It was simply an observation that I thought everyone would agree with.
Yeah i dont get it either.. i guess its the war memories from the draft in the summer being relieved or something.

Atleast i did not missunderstand you there i think alreast. To me it was a compliment you basically said Laine made it look i easy.. he dumped the puck and started looking for openings, scheifele went after it looked up found perrault who then passes Laine who puts it in.

It was an easy goal especially for someone skilled like Laine ... this is a non issue really.

It was not an particular complicated play at all. I like then playing a more simple game now.

Maybe some missunderstood you as if you tried to discredit Laine or something... after the past few weeks that has happened alot so now it appears to be super easy to be made out to try and discredi

Relax people. Everyone is not out to get Laine. Tone down on the defense here.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post
Haha kelly dont lose your cool. I know its hard been battlying it alot myself.

For the record matthews has 23 en goals laine has 19. Not a world of difference :p dont let it go out over Laine
Lol I meant empty net goals! I just don't see the problem saying it was an easy goal.. Every player has them, good on Laine seeing the opening and getting there and not flubbing it (Matthews has done this more than I like to admit this year). he also started the whole play by chipping it into the corner for Schiefele.

Quote:

Yeah lol, and I think most level headed people knew what you meant. Fleury bit hard and Laine had the full 4x6 to shoot at. Nothing wrong with saying it was an "easy goal" because it was.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Peggy

Quote:
Yeah i dont get it either.. i guess its the war memories from the draft in the summer being relieved or something.

Atleast i did not missunderstand you there i think alreast. To me it was a compliment you basically said Laine made it look i easy.. he dumped the puck and started looking for openings, scheifele went after it looked up found perrault who then passes Laine who puts it in.

It was an easy goal especially for someone skilled like Laine ... this is a non issue really.

It was not an particular complicated play at all. I like then playing a more simple game now.

Maybe some missunderstood you as if you tried to discredit Laine or something... after the past few weeks that has happened alot so now it appears to be super easy to be made out to try and discredi

The play started from Laine in the neutral and he finished it
That's exactly what you want lol
It's odd the focus is on the difficulty of the shot

Old
02-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Nithoniniel

Quote:

To be honest, with how this debate has been more or less all year, I'm not surprised that people see negative implications everywhere. TWS should know me better than that though, I'm not that kind of poster.

Not sure where this thread would be without your genuine enthusiasm for hockey, Narow. Keep up the good work, and let's hope more people follow your example!

Old
02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
soothsayer

vCash: 50
Let's see, Laine has as many goals as Matthews and more points in fewer games played? On paper this is obviously Laine's trophy to lose. But we all know Toronto's Trumpish self-centered reality machine will come through and expose itself to everyone once and for all.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Lol I meant empty net goals! I just don't see the problem saying it was an easy goal.. Every player has them, good on Laine seeing the opening and getting there and not flubbing it (Matthews has done this more than I like to admit this year).
Shhh we only count those goals we dont speak about them hahaha.

C'mon this is freaking hilarious our rookies freaking beasts.

Aslong as it goes in it shouldnt matter unless we are talking about something subjective like prettiest plays and such. I hope Matthews gets some empty netters as it does feel a bit cheap comparing matthews goals vs Laines at this point :/ its not my fault the other teams take out their goalie against one of the best shooters in the game youd think they would have learned by now.

The important thing is that they can score consistently.

And Laine should have had one more empty netter (hit the post from far out ) so he is definatly trusted in those situations being one up with seconds to go.

To be honest im mad he did miss that first empty one he would have had 20 way before christmas!

I also like that the team has been recognizing him as being the best shooter on the team (only buff seem to disagree) most rather pass him than shoot themself trusting Laines shot more than their own.

And i couldnt be happier! Gotta enjoy all the little things

Old
02-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Narow

Quote:
To be honest, with how this debate has been more or less all year, I'm not surprised that people see negative implications everywhere. TWS should know me better than that though, I'm not that kind of poster.

Not sure where this thread would be without your genuine enthusiasm for hockey, Narow. Keep up the good work, and let's hope more people follow your example!
Hey thanks alot my friend i appreciate it. Luckily in not the only one here

Old
02-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Halberdier

Quote:
So matthews has assisted half of browns goals and more than half of hymans? Thats pretty good despite their low (relative) anmount of goals. How much have they assisted Matthews? Just wondering here out if genuine interest.
Nobody is actually interested, but Matthews has assisted only 1/3 of Brown's goals and only 1/4 of Hyman's goals. Not "1/2" and "more than 1/2".

Old
02-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Yasuo

Laine is pulling away. I think he has a decent chance to finish this season at ppg

Old
02-17-2017, 01:46 PM
TheDoldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halberdier View Post
Nobody is actually interested, but Matthews has assisted only 1/3 of Brown's goals and only 1/4 of Hyman's goals. Not "1/2" and "more than 1/2".
He was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoldrums View Post
Hyman is tied for the league lead in short-handed goals with 3, obviously Matthews isn't on the ice for those.

Brown also has a short-handed goal and wasn't playing with Matthews at the start of the year for his first few goals.

As is often the case in this thread for both sides, gray issues are presented as black and white without nuance or context.
Kind of hard to assist from the bench, so I guess he was removing those situations.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
FVM
To space and beyond

Old
02-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Samcanadian

Laine is the best Calder out there AINEC

Old
02-17-2017, 01:56 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:

This is a good explanation, thanks. My point in replying to your post is unfortunately the discussion of Laine and Matthews here has become quite predictable. I don't want to rehash it all, but when Laine scored last night. There was a quick reference that it was a 'freebie', when he scored the empty net goal the other night it was quickly referred to as a empty net goal.

When I read your comments about any player in the NHL being able to score that goal, it seemed we were going down this playing down Laine narrative again. I think most who frequent this thread will know what I am talking about.

For which, for the Laine backers defence. I have yet to read anyone commenting on Matthews' any of his in close crease goals. Again, I look at getting open as a skill, that not all players have the ability to do. So I credit both players for having this skill rather than passing it off as anything easy.

Maybe it was a quick reaction by me, but we have seen this year Laine has been the brunt of comments like he is too slow, he is too one dimensional, he won't be able to find the space to score in NA, he is carried by his linemates, his shooting %, so I think when someone says 'easy' goal. Anyone could have scored last night, it may be construed as downplaying his ability.

If I was wrong to point it out on your post. I do apologize. But I have seen you also inaccurately portray some of my posts recently too. So maybe that was on my mind. I will make sure we are clear on our views to make sure we are good with each other on this before posting in the future.

Old
02-17-2017, 01:58 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halberdier View Post
Well i am .... and apparantly brown had some goal from before pairing with matthews and both he and hyman have some shorthanded goals. From the info that poster gave me that ended up as those proportions.

Now i dont know if those are correct.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Yasuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoldrums View Post
He was responding to this:

Kind of hard to assist from the bench, so I guess he was removing those situations.
That means Brown and Hyman are capable of scoring away from him? Matthews is not a great playmaker and he's not the kind of player who will boost his linemates stats

Old
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
kelsier

All I'm reading, page after page, is Matthews line mates this and that. Then other factors that affect as much if not even more like age difference gets dismissed. Sure, Laine may or may not be in the better position but he's also younger. The more confident you are, the less needless shouting happens. The fact that he could have competed for the rocket in his rookie year was there for the injury speaks volumes alone. Luckily most people have actually seen him play now and the good old one-dimensional sniper argument won't bite anymore. Yet, when you don't have that you have to have something. Laine is ahead of Matthews in points despite missing 8 games this season. The kid is 18, comes from different culture and different part of the world. These things in my eyes are far more impressive than what Matthews has accomplished and his accomplished a lot, too. Still in order for Laine to win Calder he will have to beat his rivals in points (maybe even with larger margin than one or two), no matter of having missed games or not. That's how much I think the "market" favors Toronto right now. They need a fairy tale so badly and the city itself is far more of a hockey mecca than Winnipeg.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Cotton
Toronto Sexy Leafs

vCash: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuo View Post
That means Brown and Hyman are capable of scoring away from him? Matthews is not a great playmaker and he's not the kind of player who will boost his linemates stats
Stahp.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:05 PM
ViewsFromThe6ix
████ 60% *LOADING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
Let's see, Laine has as many goals as Matthews and more points in fewer games played? On paper this is obviously Laine's trophy to lose. But we all know Toronto's Trumpish self-centered reality machine will come through and expose itself to everyone once and for all.
holy moly inferiority complex

Old
02-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Audi*

ITT: Winnipeg fans in denial about how calder voting is weighted

I myself have a wager on bet 365 of matthews winning the calder going to be a good day

Old
02-17-2017, 02:08 PM
randomhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
All I'm reading, page after page, is Matthews line mates this and that. Then other factors that affect as much if not even more like age difference gets dismissed. Sure, Laine may or may not be in the better position but he's also younger. The more confident you are, the less needless shouting happens. The fact that he could have competed for the rocket in his rookie year was there for the injury speaks volumes alone. Luckily most people have actually seen him play now and the good old one-dimensional sniper argument won't bite anymore. Yet, when you don't have that you have to have something. Laine is ahead of Matthews in points despite missing 8 games this season. The kid is 18, comes from different culture and different part of the world. These things in my eyes are far more impressive than what Matthews has accomplished and his accomplished a lot, too. Still in order for Laine to win Calder he will have to beat his rivals in points (maybe even with larger margin than one or two), no matter of having missed games or not. That's how much I think the "market" favors Toronto right now. They need a fairy tale so badly and the city itself is far more of a hockey mecca than Winnipeg.
I'm most impressed with how he handled the own goal and didn't let it affect his confidence and playing. Not to forget he was concussed! Poor Laine's been trough so much this season.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
No need to bring up those things about Laine. His fans are well aware.

This goes for both players. Their play on the ice do the talking.

In the end it is what it is both players are in different situations as is any player in the league.

Matthews playing a harder position sure Laine coming from a whole different culture and different type of hockey game quickly adjusting which is harder ? I dont know. It doesnt matter either. How often do you see european rookies being almost ppg how often do you see centers.

Its all a wash they are both incredible and blickering about it serves no purpose.

Here is a thought. Try to just appreciate both talents trust me you will feel much better even tho it is hard at first perhaps even as hard as playing center or coning in from another country

Old
02-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuo View Post
You're trying too hard.

You're probably one of the most biased posters in this thread on either side. You've done it since the start too. Thought you'd smarten up by now but it appears there's no hope for you.

Old
02-17-2017, 02:15 PM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhockeyfan View Post
I'm most impressed with how he handled the own goal and didn't let it affect his confidence and playing. Not to forget he was concussed! Poor Laine's been trough so much this season.
Ha, he has a really calm and cool composure. Something that is required when you want to achieve great things. That ability to perform under pressure. It was almost touchable last year in the FEL playoffs. Once he fully develops and can bring it entirely into the national league people are going to jump at their seats. We've yet scratched a surface.

Closed Thread