HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Goalies (this summer)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2004, 11:12 AM
sensfan18

vCash: 500
UFA Goalies (this summer)

If we do go the route of a UFA (temporary fix till Emery is ready) the market seems to be very slim. Osgood, Burke, and Hasek seem to be the only real goalies who are UFAs.

Ozzie--shaky and inconsistent, ala Lalime; Let's in the same soft goals.

Burke--Great vet leader and a pretty good goalie; However, he has had playoff troubles.

Hasek--One of the best of all time; How bad are the injuries? Is he a headcase?

Mr. Muck has ties with Hasek from the past so if he beleives he can rebound (health wise) and they can work out a decent deal, I would not be surprised if the Dom was here next year.

Burke would be alright also, he is one of the best dressing room guys in the league and a pretty dam good goalie. However, he has had his playoff struggles in his career also. But playing with this defence in front of him could make it alot easier for him. And a big plus is that right now he is a back-up so he may be hungry for a #1 job and sign with a contender (us) for a very reasonable price.

What are we going to do if they decide to move away from Lalime? The goalies that are out there for trade are either too expensive (Kolzig), or too unproven (Biron, Noronen, Gerber.....). If we are going the unproven route, you might as well just use Prusek and Emery.

:gman: A little feedback please.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
SENSational

1) We get rid of Lalime and see how Prusek does

2) We keep Lalime and see if hes back to his normal self

3) We get Biron

Old
04-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Leaf_Crazy

Belfours a free agent if the Leafs dont win the cup.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
If we do go the route of a UFA (temporary fix till Emery is ready) the market seems to be very slim. Osgood, Burke, and Hasek seem to be the only real goalies who are UFAs.

What are we going to do if they decide to move away from Lalime? The goalies that are out there for trade are either too expensive (Kolzig), or too unproven (Biron, Noronen, Gerber.....). If we are going the unproven route, you might as well just use Prusek and Emery.

:gman: A little feedback please.
Lots of good points sensfan18. I just want to touch on two of them...

Burke is an interesting option. Any idea what his salary looks like right now?

It didn't escape me that you said "...if they decide to move away from Lalime". Let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if he's back next year (if for no other reason that there's no one who's guaranteed to be better). He certainly won't be the default starter though, it'll be something he'll have to earn.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:36 AM
txpd

Using Prusek and Emery is fine to remain a contender, but don't expect to win the Cup with those guys right away. This year's rookie goalies, Raycroft and Dipietro, are already finished for the playoffs. This year's playoff first timers that are still in are Aebischer(ran out of the building last night), Esche is hanging in.

If you expect to win with this bunch, you can't win with a new to the playoffs goalie.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:55 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Using Prusek and Emery is fine to remain a contender, but don't expect to win the Cup with those guys right away. This year's rookie goalies, Raycroft and Dipietro, are already finished for the playoffs. This year's playoff first timers that are still in are Aebischer(ran out of the building last night), Esche is hanging in.

If you expect to win with this bunch, you can't win with a new to the playoffs goalie.
Raycroft is the last reason B's were finished in the playoffs.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
16w

Ufas cost more money on the budget

lalime made 2.5 million

whats his new contract going to be?

his gaa average is too solid hes saved enough games

that was a fluke against toronto

who knows if they can get a long winning streak with an expensive goalie

have to see when emery is ready

hes getting a lot of poor defense and high percentage shots on a weak ahl team

stick with prusek hes proved to be a good backup

Old
04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
BingoSensFan

Here's the goalie plan I propose:

Patrick Lalime must not be brought back. I never believed Lalime had what it took to be a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender. After what happened this spring, his mental makeup, especially in Ottawa, where fans and media alike will pounce on him for any soft goal allowed, may be destroyed.

For a team striving to win the Stanley Cup, Ray Emery cannot be counted on to be the starter. He could be the backup so that he gets a better taste for the NHL. After watching him for two years in Binghamton, I don't think it would be the worst thing for his development to spend another season in the AHL. He's only 21 years old.

I don't believe that any eligible unrestricted free agents are safe bets. Much has been made about bringing in Dominik Hasek, but I think there are too many question marks surrounding him. I would not be surprised to see him in an Ottawa uniform however.

I believe the starting goaltender should be Martin Prusek. I, for one (and maybe the only one), think that he is an oustanding goalie. I don't think we've seen the best of Prusek at all. He's never been a backup in his life and to me, he looked uncomfortable in the role. If he were told that he'd be given a chance to become the starter, he would play better. I believe that the more he plays and the more often he starts, the better he plays. Make no mistake, he's not exactly a positional goaltender. He's more of a reactionary goaltender. He needs to develop a permanent rhythm to be at his best. He was never able to get into that rhythm last season or this season. He's not "a young, inexperienced guy." He's 28 years old. He's been in the playoffs before, even if they weren't the NHL playoffs. I can go on and on here about Prusek, but I'll sum it up by saying I will be displeased if he doesn't get a chance to carry this team.

Will all that said about Prusek, if he does fail, I think another goalie should be acquired before the trade deadline and if the price is kind of high, so be it.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Puck
Ninja

I really don't know for sure, I'm conflicted on this issue.

Lalime might be back, he might not. I don't have an agenda on this topic. I'll leave it up to the GM, the new coach and fate. Fate because I'm sure the Sens will look around to see what is out there. THere might not be anything better out there.

If there is nothing better out there and the season starts with Lalime and Prusek again, I don't think Lalime is automatically annointed No.1. He has to win that. I'd have a goalie tandem that splits the duties more at the beginning of the season.

We'll see if there is even a season....

Old
04-23-2004, 04:52 PM
brucegarrioch

None of which look entirely attractive. I suspect Muckler will make a sufficient move if the return, whether it be via trade or free agency, is significant and a legitimate upgrade.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:55 PM
John Flyers Fan

Highly doubtful that Burke will become a UFA.

He has an unusual contract, that gives both him and the team an option for next year. The contract works as follows.

Approximately 10 days after the seaon ends both Burke and the Flyers submit sealed envelopes stating whether or not they want to excercise their option for next year.

If Burke only excercise his option he gets paid $4.25 million.

If Flyers only excercise their option Burke gets paid $4.75 million.

If both Burke and Flyers excercise their option he gets paid $4.5 million.

BTW: His current salary is $4.5 million.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:56 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

He has an unusual contract, that gives both him and the team an option for next year. The contract works as follows.

Approximately 10 days after the seaon ends both Burke and the Flyers submit sealed envelopes stating whether or not they want to excercise their option for next year.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:59 PM
HABitude

Ok, it's off-topic but a poster from our boards (Habs) have a funny animated avatar based on Patrick Lalime. It was created before the PO time and I all I have to say: it was a visionary avatar.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:08 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Ok, it's off-topic but a poster from our boards (Habs) have a funny animated avatar based on Patrick Lalime. It was created before the PO time and I all I have to say: it was a visionary avatar.

Mr. Habfan,
I have a question I'd like answered, what would Garon cost? Or is there no chance of him being moved unless it is for a good youngster?

Old
04-23-2004, 09:32 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Mr. Habfan,
I have a question I'd like answered, what would Garon cost? Or is there no chance of him being moved unless it is for a good youngster?
Your answer is in your question. Yes what you have in mind is exactly what Sens need. Garon is a future concession goalie I know that and every Hab fan who are aware knows that. I was discussing that subject on the phone earlyer with the avatar poster guy.
Fact: Garon is a good future goalie. We (Habs fans) knows that. But, ... but he's still unproven (because he didn't have enough starting games) and no serious GM will pay an interresting price for acquiring him. And every hockey expert will tell you that in PO time the most important player is the goalie. Check with the history of Stanley Cups and you'll see the hottest goalies of their time.

So to make a short story, yes he would be available but in return of a good youngster, a really really good youngster. Garon is tall, moves fast, have a good positional technique, have the same goalie trainers as Theodore. His technique reminds me a little Patrick Roy. Too soon to compare him to the great Pat Roy but eh who knows? Trust me, if he becomes 1rst goalie on a good NHL team he'll become one of nhl top 10 goalie. He's hardly tradable because his value is low now. He's a keeper for Montreal.

Hey, I was expecting and hoping Sens to further that that. I hate the Leafs soooo much, I was soooo disapointed when Lalime let those softies in game 7. Just hope the Flyers will eat them in 5 games. I kindda like the Sens as a second best after the Habs. Because I like to watch nice fast/skilled hockey Hossa and Alfredson are showing. Sens reminds me the great Hab team of the '70's.

...and the leafs are a bunch of dirty players, anti-hockey ugly games. When the refs sucks, Leafs wins.

Last edited by HABitude: 04-23-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old
04-24-2004, 03:06 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I think its time we gave Prusek his chance too. There's no guarantees where the next great goaltender will come from. Prusek has as good a chance as any of being the next Kiprusoff, to use this years surprise example.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:45 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
I think its time we gave Prusek his chance too. There's no guarantees where the next great goaltender will come from. Prusek has as good a chance as any of being the next Kiprusoff, to use this years surprise example.
I am a huge Prusek supporter, but his injuries worry me. It seemed everytime he played a few games in a row he'd be down with an injury or just have a plain stinker of a game.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:50 PM
VanCanuck

Well, Alfie said on TSN that Lalime is able of winning the cup, maybe next year.
It seems like the team stands behind Patrick and wants him to be our starter.
I don't know what I should think about the whole situation? There is no statement by the management or by Eugene, curious! Time will tell.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:01 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
What else is he supposed to say? Lalime is still our #1, they're not going to speak ill him just because the season is over.
He won't be back as the #1.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

I agree, from a business standpoint Burke won't likely find a deal worth $4.25M if he walks away from the Flyers.

But you have to consider Sean has made a lot of coin over the years and may decide the location where he winds down his career based on personal wishes/family factors, rather than money.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:38 PM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
i say Lalime gets traded for some good picks, and Emery comes up and pulls a (2001) Hedberg-excpt I think he will play more regular season games-You know what Im getting at.

Other wise they will trade up to get Dustin Rose in the draft, and have him play goalie

Old
04-25-2004, 10:26 AM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurminen31
i say Lalime gets traded for some good picks, and Emery comes up and pulls a (2001) Hedberg-excpt I think he will play more regular season games-You know what Im getting at.

Other wise they will trade up to get Dustin Rose in the draft, and have him play goalie
You're joking right? Ottawa will not draft a goalie and play him over Emery. The only reason Emery is not playing yet is because it is better for his development to play a couple of minor-pro years. He is our future #1 no ifs, ands, or buts about it. We will not draft a goalie to come in and immediately start. Myself, I hope if he comes in and starts he pulls a Nabokov instead of a Hedberg--a goalie who has numerous good years instead of one (more likely).

Old
04-26-2004, 05:40 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
You're joking right?
Yes, he is.

Sens should keep Lalime. Prusek really isn't a starter in this league, and Emery will need some time. Lalime-Emery should be a good duo.

Lalime has played really well in 6 games. I'm repeating myself but if the other players (the offensive force Ottawa is supposed to be) had showed up, and didn't get blanked in 3 games, there wouldn't have been a game 7. You just can't blame only Lalime for this series. If you want to boot him out of the city, shove Havlat, Bondra and Bonk in his suitcases and show the bus stands to Alfredsson (all these nice promises for one lousy goal?), Smolinsky and Redden (-5?!). Who showed up? Fisher and Vermette? Hossa and Chara are the only important players that were there.

How do you win a series getting blanked in 3 games?!

Closed Thread