HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we Re-Signed Ryder next season?

View Poll Results: Should we Sign Ryder next season?
yes 152 66.96%
NO! 75 33.04%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Depends on his performances between now and the end of the season. Also depends on the price tag. If we can sign him before July 1st at around 4M$/2years or 2M$/1year I'd do it. I'm not ready to go long term with him though, and that's prolly what he's going to ask.

IMO, he'll try the free agent market where someone will likely give him a 3 year deal for 8-9M$

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

vCash: 500
BYE BYE Mikey...its been nice knowing you

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Well he's gone for sure i think: he knows that if he signs at least a 3 year contract, it will probably be his last chance to make a lot of dough.

And he also knows D'Agostino is just about ready to fill his skates, if that hasnt been done already by S. Kost.

So yeah, Bye bye Mikey!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You have to look at his past development as well, he is a scorer and Gainey himself even said it himself. His overall game has improved and he is entering his prime so he could break out...your analysis is a bit over blown!
Ryders past development:

1st year - 63 pts. Fantastic rookie year.

2nd year - 55 pts. Drop in production.

3rd year - 58 pts. Production kept same, but he became defensive liability.

4th year - 30+ pts (optimistic), not hurting the team defensively, but hes producing like 3rd liner on a great team.

My conclusion from this is he hasnt improved his overall game much at all, certainly not enough to warrant multi year deal and raise to his already fat paycheck.

Last edited by Marksman: 02-29-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Miller Time

i voted NO!, but maily because of the UFA market that is out there this summer. With it being as bare as it is, there will likely be at least a team or two willing to give RYder a much fatter contract than he is worth at this point.

I would HATE to see the Habs sign him at even a penny more than 3 million (and even that is too much imo), but I'm sure that someone out there will offer something in the 3.5-4 million range.

Unless he's willing to accept less to stay with the habs (1-2 years at 2.5-2.75 max), I say so long.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 07:06 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well he's gone for sure i think: he knows that if he signs at least a 3 year contract, it will probably be his last chance to make a lot of dough.

And he also knows D'Agostino is just about ready to fill his skates, if that hasnt been done already by S. Kost.

So yeah, Bye bye Mikey!

Lets recap shall we? First of all, who the heck is D'Agostino? Second of all, the mythical forward that you say is just about ready to fill his skates has never played in the NHL, is ranked 15th on our prospect list and rated a 6.5D on HF, has never scored 30 goals in the OHL or AHL (maybe when he was a Timbit), and has a rather large hurdle to overcome in that he has to MAKE the team next year first.

Lastly, S. Kosty has not replaced Ryder with 7 goals 10 assists in 34 games. That's on pace for 17 goals, 24 assists. Give me a freakin break.

For the last time, an UNPROVEN rookie cannot replace a proven 30g scorer. So he's having a bad year - big deal. Scorers have bad years/streaks all the time. Sign him cheap for 2 years and watch him play.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 07:13 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Ryders past development:

1st year - 63 pts. Fantastic rookie year.

2nd year - 55 pts. Drop in production.

3rd year - 58 pts. Production kept same, but he became defensive liability.

4th year - 30+ pts (optimistic), not hurting the team defensively, but hes producing like 3rd liner on a great team.

My conclusion from this is he hasnt improved his overall game much at all, certainly not enough to warrant multi year deal and raise to his already fat paycheck.
So you expect him to become a complete 2 way player in the NHL in 4 years? Regardless, he has improved his defensive game LARGELY but has just ran into some bad luck/cold streak in the goal scoring department. He's finally coming out of it, and now people want to let him walk? It's all part of a players development, just like Higgins has to learn how to finish. I don't see everyone wanting him traded.

Re-sign next year on a multi year deal for a small paycut and see how he performs. If Frankie B can make nearly 2M a year, there's no reason why we can't have Ryder on the books for around the same.

Old
02-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
So you expect him to become a complete 2 way player in the NHL in 4 years? Regardless, he has improved his defensive game LARGELY but has just ran into some bad luck/cold streak in the goal scoring department. He's finally coming out of it, and now people want to let him walk? It's all part of a players development, just like Higgins has to learn how to finish. I don't see everyone wanting him traded.

Re-sign next year on a multi year deal for a small paycut and see how he performs. If Frankie B can make nearly 2M a year, there's no reason why we can't have Ryder on the books for around the same.
Guy is already 27-28 years old, its about time. Higgins is, what, 24-25 years old.

As for the latter part, Bouillon playing 3rd pairing on that horrible contract... this is exactly what I'd want to avoid. I hope Gainey isnt falling into same trap with Ryder, having to pay 3 million for a third liner and occasional healthy scratch.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

My answer is yes, but only because I think there aren't many better options via the UFA market. If we can land Hossa (without paying some obscene amount like $10M or something) than we should do that. If not, then Ryder would be a quality signing.

My true belief is that if Ryder is looking to get his career back on track he won't sign in Montreal, where he will be pushed off the ice by youth. He'll sign somewhere where he'll be a permanent part of the top 6 forwards.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Guy is already 27-28 years old, its about time. Higgins is, what, 24-25 years old.

As for the latter part, Bouillon playing 3rd pairing on that horrible contract... this is exactly what I'd want to avoid. I hope Gainey isnt falling into same trap with Ryder, having to pay 3 million for a third liner and occasional healthy scratch.
He's not the most naturally talented hockey player in the league, that's for sure. But he's worked hard to get where he's at and I think we should give him some credit for that. Just because it's taken him longer than some other players shouldn't reflect negatively on what he has accomplished.

I don't think he should get 3M a year after this season. I'd be cool with 2-2.25M a year for 2 years plus bonuses. He could end up being one of the cheapest 30g scorers in the league and an asset to the team. Even if he never regains his old scoring touch (which I'm sure he will), he's not that much of a drain on our salary. It's a good gamble in my opinion.

Old
02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Well, it all depends. I don't think Gainey's plan to acquire a top player has changed at all. That's priority number one judging from the UFA period last year and the big push to land Hossa (and others like Tanguay etc) at this year's deadline.

So Ryder is probably a wait-and-see how he fits depending on how the search turns out. I mean, there'll be cap impact, there might be a roster impact if it's a big trade, which could either open a space for Ryder by trading away some prospects or definitively occupy any space that Ryder would have to take up to be of any use to the team given what he would sign for as a UFA.

Basically, I think Ryder is Plan C right now. Plan A is to get the impact scorer, Plan B is to keep playing the good prospects, and Plan C is to fill out gaps in the roster with role players.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 10:04 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Depending on the money he wants.

If he wants $3M again.. I'd let him walk.

If we can lock him up for $2M, I'd think about it.

If we can lock him up for $1.5M, there is no question I'd sign him.

He's a good player.. and depending what he does down the stretch is what I'd off him.
Same...He still has a spot in the line-up and on next years team in my opinion. The only thing is that I doubt he wants to stay...I think he had a really tough season this year and he will be looking for a change of scenery.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

to be determined in spring.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 05:03 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i voted NO!, but maily because of the UFA market that is out there this summer. With it being as bare as it is, there will likely be at least a team or two willing to give RYder a much fatter contract than he is worth at this point.

I would HATE to see the Habs sign him at even a penny more than 3 million (and even that is too much imo), but I'm sure that someone out there will offer something in the 3.5-4 million range.

Unless he's willing to accept less to stay with the habs (1-2 years at 2.5-2.75 max), I say so long.
Thats a good point about the UFA market. If some team overpays for Ryder then definately let him go.

However, if he can be signed to a relatively cheap (2.5mil) one year contract, I say go for it. Considering the lack of success this team has had signing second-tier players on the UFA market, may as well keep the guy who has had proven success with the club.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote