HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Darren Dreger

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2008, 04:01 PM
hibbleton

vCash: 500
Silly thread.

I don't think you guys should be throwing Dreger under the bus for reporting what he's heard. Who knows? Maybe MLSE is actually planning to pursue Brian Burke and Bob Gainey in the offseason - whether or not they're interested is obviously debatable, but the fact of the matter is that these guys might be targets. Realistic or otherwise.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF View Post
Money talks!!!
...It's Montreal, not some cash-starved team. There's no way GG won't match the offer.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
BobMckenzie

Some of you guys really are ass clowns sometimes.

Darren Dreger is reporting that MLSE's wish list for a new GM includes Burke and Gainey at the top, with the job perhaps being Burke's if he wants it. What do you want him to do, not report that because some fans might be offended the Leafs want Gainey?

If you don't like the information, fine, wail away. But the information is good info.

My own opinion is the the favorite for the Leaf job is Burke. If he signs his extension any time soon, then that obviously changes everything. But if that extension isn't signed by the time the Ducks finish this season, Burke to Toronto is, IMO, not out of the question this summer. It's all about the extension. If it gets done, the Leafs look elsewhere. If it doesn't, we'll see.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Randall Graves*

Did Bob McKenzie just say assclown?

I'll give you 20 bucks to say it on TV next week.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post

I'll give you 20 bucks to say it on TV next week.
Twenty bucks? Gonna have to do better than that.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
We'll add a conditional draft pick.

Old
03-01-2008, 04:59 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Trade proposal:
Ryder, Halak, Gainey for Mats Sundin, oh yeah and a second of course.

Old
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

we all know that Neil Smith is available and would most likely take any job, especially Toronto. He has experience winning a championship, developing a team and perhaps most importantly dealing with intense media scrutiny. I think he would be a perfect fit forToronto.

Old
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
You've been wanting to call Milbury one all year...we'll even throw in Ryder AND Halak jerseys.

Last edited by Randall Graves*: 03-01-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
You've been wanting to call Milbury one all year...we'll even throw in a Ryder and Halak jerseys
how will we throw in a jersey for 2nd round pick?

Old
03-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Fabs

So lets see. Offended Habs fan whines that Gainey is being mentioned for Leafs replacement GM. Bandwagon Leaf haters chime in to also jump on Dreger. Bob McKenzie calls them all ass clowns. I think Bob needs to post more.

Old
03-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Raoul Duke*

The Score is the only network worth watching anymore for hockey talk. TSN has turned into a sensational Toronto ramble like Sportsnet. Just hire former Leafs and they all try to be Don Cherry. It's embarrassing.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Egil

Quote:
Some of you guys really are ass clowns sometimes.

Darren Dreger is reporting that MLSE's wish list for a new GM includes Burke and Gainey at the top, with the job perhaps being Burke's if he wants it. What do you want him to do, not report that because some fans might be offended the Leafs want Gainey?

If you don't like the information, fine, wail away. But the information is good info.

My own opinion is the the favorite for the Leaf job is Burke. If he signs his extension any time soon, then that obviously changes everything. But if that extension isn't signed by the time the Ducks finish this season, Burke to Toronto is, IMO, not out of the question this summer. It's all about the extension. If it gets done, the Leafs look elsewhere. If it doesn't, we'll see.
But isn't it fair to say that no matter how badly Toronto wants Bob Gainey that he isn't going to go? At some point you need to seperate what Toronto (MLSE) wants and what they can actually get.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:57 PM
milbs06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
The Score is the only network worth watching anymore for hockey talk. TSN has turned into a sensational Toronto ramble like Sportsnet. Just hire former Leafs and they all try to be Don Cherry. It's embarrassing.
the score? are you fing kidding me? ludzik makes me dumber when he talks. those 3 piece suits make my eyes bleed hahahahhaha.

i have to agree about tsn. sportsnet is by far the worst sports station though.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
andrewmn

Bob can defend Darren for his tabloid reporting all he wants...but it doesn't excuse it. Even the National Enquirer gets its tips, Bob.

I'm hoping that TSN would be responsible enough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Calling people 'assclowns' for expressing dislike for tabloid sports television reporting is just wrong. Grow up.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:06 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
Bob can defend Darren for his tabloid reporting all he wants...but it doesn't excuse it. Even the National Enquirer gets its tips, Bob.
Darren Dreger i'm guessing doesn't drive to an appartment of a cat lady for what she heard at the salon. I could be wrong.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
andrewmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Darren Dreger i'm guessing doesn't drive to an appartment of a cat lady for what she heard at the salon. I could be wrong.
You probably are

Old
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some of you need a lesson in comprehension. It is a report of who the Leafs desire. Not a report of a matter of fact that Gainey or Burke will be Leafs GM.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:46 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
You probably are
And Bob Mackenzie needs to grow up ?

Old
03-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
All throughout his time as a player, coach, and manager, Gainey's heart has been with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:00 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:

That was one of the greatest moments in HFBoards history. Someone needs to make that their signature.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post

That was one of the greatest moments in HFBoards history. Someone needs to make that their signature.
Agreed. Hope Bob doesn't mind + he's bang on.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
But isn't it fair to say that no matter how badly Toronto wants Bob Gainey that he isn't going to go? At some point you need to seperate what Toronto (MLSE) wants and what they can actually get.
Exactly. Very well said.

All of the names being talked about (Burke, Gainey, Rutherford, Holland) have contracts, and have established themselves in their respective cities. To speculate on whether these guys will drop everything that they've done and built for the chance to manage the Toronto Maple Leafs is simply arrogance.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:32 PM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Exactly. Very well said.

All of the names being talked about (Burke, Gainey, Rutherford, Holland) have contracts, and have established themselves in their respective cities. To speculate on whether these guys will drop everything that they've done and built for the chance to manage the Toronto Maple Leafs is simply arrogance.
You mean the way the Raptors could never get Bryan Colangelo.

Old
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Hab-a-maniac

I guess Dreger is just reporting on what MLSE does. It seems like foolish speculation, but if it is true then it's worth reporting because it shows you how desperate and stupid MLSE is. How arrogant are the Leafs owners to think Gainey can be had just by waving money in his face? Like Gainey isn't a millionaire already? They have an even better shot at Burke than Bob. It makes zero sense.

I agree, they should go get Neil Smith. He's a guy who would love to have the job. Have the LEafs brass not heard of 1994!? The NHL pimps out that 1994 cup so hard it'd be a shock if they didn't. I would hire Smith if Burke isn't up for the job this summer. Gainey makes no sense. Colangelo was different. The guy didn't have the same emotional ties or mean as much to Phoenix as Gainey does to Montreal. It would be like Kevin Lowe being lured from Edmonton to go become GM of the Canucks or some rival. Hell freezes over the day that happens.

Closed Thread