HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Davis, Versteeg, Unice and Hendry

Old
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Davis, Versteeg, Unice and Hendry

Hey guys,

I'm in a keeper league and it's almost time to draft. I need your help on these prospects.

What are their upside ? Potential in NHL? Downside? Well, all about their future and etc..

Thanks!

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 12:54 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

Davis'll probably be one of Rockford's best players next season and could get a call-up or two. Turns 22 in a month.

Vertseeg could make the team next season, depending on who they sign as UFAs, etc. Flips around on lines and role, could get 20 points next season if he plays 50+ games.

Hendry's not gonna get many points ever. If he plays most of the games next season, he probably tops out at 12-15 points, 20 in a great year w/ a lot of secondary assists. Third-pairing guy who'll be all right +/- wise and get about 1 PIM/game. Lots of those guys in fantasy leagues.

Unice is at least 2 years away from the NHL, and probably 3-4. Crawford's ahead of him on the depth (and a few years older), and Unice is there w/ Fallon (senior at Vermont) and Palmer (sophomore at OSU). Team has to decide this summer what to do w/ all these goalies (Mike Brodeur is there, too).

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Mike Brodeur no longer impresses me! I thought at one time him and Crawford would be our goalies of the future! But Brodeur just hasn't panned out as a legit NHL caliber goalie! What happened to the guy?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
mintsauce

Send a message via MSN to mintsauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Mike Brodeur no longer impresses me! I thought at one time him and Crawford would be our goalies of the future! But Brodeur just hasn't panned out as a legit NHL caliber goalie! What happened to the guy?
Nothing really happened - Mike Brodeur was never more than a fringe prospect anyway. I think you had him rated too highly, he's a career AHLer at best.

mintsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 01:39 PM
John Jaeckel

I agree with Jayzin. Hawks are going to have a real logjam of #2-3 centers with Bolland, Kontiola, Davis and Brophey.

Hendry is a Steve Poapst type with more mobility, not a scorer.

Unice could be very good, but he is at least 2-3 years away. I do not believe the Hawks have a future #1 keeper among the rest of their goalies, though Fallon or Palmer might still pan out. Fallon is big and uses his size well, has also improved every year in college. Palmer is an athlete who is undisciplined at times, but can make the highlight reel save. Also a GREAT kid. He might remind some style-wise of Craig Andersson, who, IMO, was the Hawks' best goalie prospect in the last several years.

John Jaeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Davis - at one time I was very high on this kid. Near the top in scoring in the NCAA last year but was out most almost all of this year with injury. Miami Redhawks didn't lose much ground with their former #1 scorer being out most of the season which begs the question on how important was/is Davis to this team or does he benefit from being on a really deep team. Also he was only used on the checking line in his appearance at the WJCs. As far as I'm concerned, I'd probably guess to project him as a long shot for his chances of making the Blackhawks at this point unless he can re-establish himself next year. Most certainly will be signed and sent to Rockford.

Versteeg - small scooter. I never liked the trade to get him (Bochenski) but has been showing a little more this year. Played very well in his previous call up with the Blackhawks this year. If it were up to me, I'd use him as trade bait but won't get much for an AHL player.

Hendry - I love this kid. Plays a very responsible d game but will never put up many points. Prototypical stay at home d man who can occasionally pinch but is small at 6feet even. Has a solid base so he plays larger than he is. If you need a solid 3rd pairing or 7th plus point d man who won't cost an arm and a leg to keep on the roster, Hendrys it.

Unice - I have mixed opinions on Unice and will wait to see what he does next year. I would expect he gets the call for the WJCs next go round and doesn't get overlooked again.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
John Jaeckel

I heard some poop that Unice was passed over for the WJC's because he blew off the Bowling Green program to go play Junior in Canada.

For the record, I like Versteeg a lot more than Bochenski. For one, he plays defense. For two, he can skate.

Old
03-01-2008, 08:08 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Regarding Unice, thats what the consensus appears to be. Judging by the performance this year, it will be interesting to see if the USA committee will be the same or not. Also Palmer was in his last year of eligability, obviously would not be starting and had prior experience while Unice would still qualify to be selected next year so that factored into the selection.

As far as Versteeg goes, I'm not saying I'd rather have Bochenski but I wasn't exactly thrilled in the return the Hawks received for Bochenski. Versteeg showed well in his earlier call up but personally I don't see him as being in the Hawks long range plans. Good depth for the A and as an emergency call up for any injury situation like this year but I can't see him as being an integral part of the third or fourth lines.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:11 AM
John Jaeckel

No, Versteeg probably needs to play second line in the NHL, and I do wonder, like you, if he is good enough for that. I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised by him. He gets his nose dirty, he can skate and he has some hands. He's a little like Stevie Sullivan. Maybe not quite as skilled. But he didn't look too bad in his first call-up.

And I'll say this, if a kid like Skille doesn't use his body at both ends of the ice, I'd rather have a kid like Versteeg who gets everything out of his physical tools. You'll get more production.

Versteeg, 37 points in 43 games, +2
Skille, 24 points in 43 games, -9

Last edited by John Jaeckel: 03-02-2008 at 09:19 AM.