HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Effects on the Team?

Old
03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
27roenick97

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline Effects on the Team?

i don't know how many of you agree with me, but it can't be coincidence that leading up to the trade deadline the team goes on a ten game slide; as soon as it passes, we start winning again.

i'm almost positive that the constant trade talk and other rumors had to wear on the players, especially those who were proposed parts of the trades. the best example is carter: he was in multiple rumors to be moved. as the deadline approached, he went ice cold; as soon as the deadline passed, he's had probably the most impressive stretch of three games in his career. i know the whole "they're professionals" mindset, but remember that a lot of these guys are twenty something year olds, not hardened vets.

just wanted to see if this sentiment is mirrored, or if i'm just making excuses...

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
i don't know how many of you agree with me, but it can't be coincidence that leading up to the trade deadline the team goes on a ten game slide; as soon as it passes, we start winning again.

i'm almost positive that the constant trade talk and other rumors had to wear on the players, especially those who were proposed parts of the trades. the best example is carter: he was in multiple rumors to be moved. as the deadline approached, he went ice cold; as soon as the deadline passed, he's had probably the most impressive stretch of three games in his career. i know the whole "they're professionals" mindset, but remember that a lot of these guys are twenty something year olds, not hardened vets.

just wanted to see if this sentiment is mirrored, or if i'm just making excuses...
It could be, especially with the youth our team has. But I would have hoped that the veteran leadership would have been able to steady the team. I think that the deadline talk exacerbated things that were already hurting the team to begin with. Injuries and poor coaching were already kicking our ass to begin with. But, somehow, Forsberg rumors tend to lose us at least 10 games every season .

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Scott Hartnell was on to something apparently...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Scott Hartnell was on to something apparently...
On any other team he might be next in line for captain. He's much better with the press than Richie.

Old
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
On any other team he might be next in line for captain. He's much better with the press than Richie.
He is a Definite A

Great team player and he busts his ass every shift.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:36 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to him over Richie. As great as Richards is, he's the type that will try to do everything to make the team win, which can lead to him trying to do too much. If he's captain, that only puts more pressure on him to do it all. I don't see Hartnell having any foolish thoughts about being the guy who can do it all. He knows he's not a 50 goal scorer and also knows the things he's very good at. After the Forsberg debacle, I'd be very much in favor of a captain who knows his limits and leads from within them.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Jeff Carter is a changed man, hopefully this isn't a 5 game stretch, but he is close to dominant. He created several chances in every game where nothing was there.

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to him over Richie. As great as Richards is, he's the type that will try to do everything to make the team win, which can lead to him trying to do too much. If he's captain, that only puts more pressure on him to do it all. I don't see Hartnell having any foolish thoughts about being the guy who can do it all. He knows he's not a 50 goal scorer and also knows the things he's very good at. After the Forsberg debacle, I'd be very much in favor of a captain who knows his limits and leads from within them.
I will agree that Koivu types are sometimes much more effective than players that are demanded to be PPG players and, to be honest, that's the expectation (right or wrong) that will be put on Richards. And we know damn well that that's going to be the expectation he puts on himself now. Hartnell is a great locker room guy and so is Ritchie. I think Cannon gets the C next but Hartnell should get an A.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:50 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I will agree that Koivu types are sometimes much more effective than players that are demanded to be PPG players and, to be honest, that's the expectation (right or wrong) that will be put on Richards. And we know damn well that that's going to be the expectation he puts on himself now. Hartnell is a great locker room guy and so is Ritchie. I think Cannon gets the C next but Hartnell should get an A.
Agreed. As a general disclaimer, I didn't mean my previous post to say that Richie shouldn't get the C, just that Hartnell has a pretty good case for it as well. If they each get a letter, regardless of whichever it is, I'll be happy.

Old
03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
uvegotafrendinpa

ok here is the real reason we are winning....

My roomate and i have a 11 game ticket package, on February 2nd we went to the Ducks 3-0 shutout. We drove back to Lancaster where we go to school and prepared to get wasted in celebration of the win. I also own an alternate Jeff Carter jersey that i dearly love. When we got back i threw the jersey off in a fit of joy and it fell on the floor of my room inside out. As the story goes, the flyers proceeded to lose ten of the next eleven games. I was so upset my room got messy and i didnt bother cleaning. The day of the Panthers game is started cleaning because my parents were coming to visit and such. I quickly took the jersey and put it on a hanger still inside out in my closet. That night they lost in ot on that stupid deflection. Now, out of respect for Jeff and picking up his play i turn the jersey right-side out. Next, they beat Buffalo in the shutout (our first this season!!) and Jeff is still on a tare. We have won our last three and hope to kick the crap out of the rags tomorrow. so i feel a lot better that i got that off my chest.

uvegotafrendinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Richards was Captain of the best World Junior squad in History! You'd be crazy not to give Richards the "C"
Plus i bought a Richards jersey with the C on it

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 08:07 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
Richards was Captain of the best World Junior squad in History! You'd be crazy not to give Richards the "C"
Haha I got a breast CA one for my girlfriend with the on it. Maybe the best investment I have ever made.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
It wouldn't be the first time I've been called crazy. That World Junior team was so dominant it wasn't even funny. Now that he's playing against people who are as good as, or sometimes even better than him, Richie wants to do too much. I'm sure he'll make a great captain eventually, but isn't it worth a thought to consider someone like Hartnell as captain who won't put so much pressure on himself and just let Richards blossom into one of the best players around?

Old
03-02-2008, 09:21 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
It wouldn't be the first time I've been called crazy. That World Junior team was so dominant it wasn't even funny. Now that he's playing against people who are as good as, or sometimes even better than him, Richie wants to do too much. I'm sure he'll make a great captain eventually, but isn't it worth a thought to consider someone like Hartnell as captain who won't put so much pressure on himself and just let Richards blossom into one of the best players around?
I could see that, but i think its time the team has a consistent captain. I mean, we've had a different guy each year for like the past 3-4 years. I think we give Cannon the C asap and let him be the Cap until he retires

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I could see that, but i think its time the team has a consistent captain. I mean, we've had a different guy each year for like the past 3-4 years. I think we give Cannon the C asap and let him be the Cap until he retires
Hartnell's on a long deal. If they gave it to him they wouldn't take it away unless something extreme happens.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Kaktus*

I feel so bad for Kukkonen... I have no idea why Stevens is treating him this way.

1st it was Vandy and now he sits because of Modry.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 09:46 PM
mercury

This is annoying. McKeon gives the Flyers a D for the trade deadline because we only picked up Prospal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote