HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spector's Rumour: Shanny and Hull?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 12:53 PM
King of Stankonia

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Spector's Rumour: Shanny and Hull?

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector's Trade Rumours
HULL AND SHANAHAN TO RETURN TO THE BLUES?
HADLEYONSPORTS.COM: KTRS sports commentator John Hadley reports the St. Louis Blues would've tried to reacquire Brett Hull from the Detroit Red Wings if he were available, claiming no one in the Blues organization denied his report. He's now claiming that the Blues would try again to land Hull if "the Golden Brett" wished to retire as a Blue. Hadley also claim Hull and another former Blue, Brendan Shanahan, were "privately discussing" a reunion in St. Louis next season.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Jim" and "stlhomer".. The only way Hull and Shanahan return to the Blues next season (and that depends on the Red Wings not re-signing them) is if they agree to a major pay cut. Blues GM Larry Pleau recently stated he was going to slash his $60 million US payroll and ice a younger team. This report sounds more like wishful thinking.
Spector's Note hits that nail right on the head. Barring those obstacles, getting veterans out of Detroit would be like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

However, Shanahan is exactly what this team would need, and I say if it takes Hull to bring him over then do it. Shanny won't give you more points than Tkachuk in the regular season, but has leadership and the warrior style that will give you more than that, especially in the post-season.

It's really just wishful thinking though.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
It seems to me that unless one, or both, were to take massive paycuts then it is useless to bring either in. To bring in old vets would totally negate where this team says it wants to go. I could see bringing in one at the most, but my gut feeling is that both will retire as Wings.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Tiger Williams

Weight and Tkachuk are kind of our aging veterans at this point--even though they both have no trade clauses, I could see the Hull and/or Shanahan thing becoming possible if the Blues were able to trade Weight and/or Tkachuk (not likely). But if they could move those guys for some youth, then I could see bringing in Hull and Shanahan. At this point I'd be all for that.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:24 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus
It seems to me that unless one, or both, were to take massive paycuts then it is useless to bring either in. To bring in old vets would totally negate where this team says it wants to go. I could see bringing in one at the most, but my gut feeling is that both will retire as Wings.

You just repeated what it says above.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Higgy4

Just a Wings fans point of view...if you allow?

I think Hull and Shanny are both playing in their last season with the Wings. Shanny has a $6.5 million dollar team option with the Wings for next season. But he is simply not a 6.5 million dollar player anymore. Unless he takes a SERIOUS paycut, the Wings will probably let him walk.

And Hull is a free agent. The Wings have to start thinking about cutting some payroll, and Hull had his worst season so far as a Red Wing. He will still probably want atleast $5 million to play, and I simply dont think the Wings will pay him that.

So, I really think Shanny and Hull will be available after this season. That being said, Hull built a brand new house in Dallas a year or so ago, and he has gone on record saying that he wants to retire in Dallas.

And I personally think Shanny would want to play in Toronto, his hometown. I have nothing other than that to base my opinon, so take it for what its worth.

So anyway...maybe some more info for this thread?

Thanks.

Old
04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
You just repeated what it says above.
Well, yeah, I guess I did. Didn't really bother to read "Spector's Note", nor do I usually bother to.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:10 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Just a Wings fans point of view...if you allow?

I think Hull and Shanny are both playing in their last season with the Wings. Shanny has a $6.5 million dollar team option with the Wings for next season. But he is simply not a 6.5 million dollar player anymore. Unless he takes a SERIOUS paycut, the Wings will probably let him walk.

And Hull is a free agent. The Wings have to start thinking about cutting some payroll, and Hull had his worst season so far as a Red Wing. He will still probably want atleast $5 million to play, and I simply dont think the Wings will pay him that.

So, I really think Shanny and Hull will be available after this season. That being said, Hull built a brand new house in Dallas a year or so ago, and he has gone on record saying that he wants to retire in Dallas.

And I personally think Shanny would want to play in Toronto, his hometown. I have nothing other than that to base my opinon, so take it for what its worth.

So anyway...maybe some more info for this thread?

Thanks.
Both good points. What reason would there be for either player to return to the Blues?

-They don't address St. Louis' needs
-Neither began their career in St. Louis
-Shanahan has played 8 seasons in Detroit (4 more than he played in St. Louis)
-Shanahan was traded from the team (or more like Keenan dumped him in Carolina)
-Hull is going to be 40 this August.
-The Blues are trying to younger

I think it is a pipe dream of fans (me included) who wish to turn back time, and recall a time when things were...optimistic. I can think back on the past few years with pesimism and the early play-off exits have only nurtured those thoughts.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:21 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
I'd love for Hull to retire as a Blue, could care less for Shanny honestly, especially with the new direction of the Blues.. But Hull I'll take.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:19 AM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44
I'd love for Hull to retire as a Blue, could care less for Shanny honestly, especially with the new direction of the Blues.. But Hull I'll take.
same here.. shanahan didnt spend enough time with the blues to where i feel a significant attachment

Old
04-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Tiger Williams

I could see bringing in Shanahan too if the Blues did move Weight and Tkachuk for some youth, Shanahan could help provide some good veteran leadership. Of course we'd run the risk of him teaching the young guys some bad habits, such as diddling other players' wives.

Closed Thread