HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crazy UFA idea

Old
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Brendan Shannahan. they all have lower PCT's than Higgins.. does that mean they aren't finishers?
Interestingly enough, compare the years he scored over 30 goals with the years he scored under 30 goals and see what you find...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm going to disagree on the first point. I've seen Kostitsyn come up through junior, in Hamilton and now in Montreal. He's going to be a better player than Andrei, IMO.

As for the last sentence... RYAN MALONE?! really? He's never reached 30 goals in his career and he plays with Crosby..

Ryder at $2 > Malone at $2M, let a lone $4.5M...

$4.5M... really?!
Malone is a big guy that's strong down low, he's up to what 23 goals...I think about 10 of which in the 6-7 weeks since Crosby's been out.

Ryder will cost a minimum of 3.5 if not 4 on the open market which is nowhere as deep as last summer. I think Malone could get 5-5.5 unl;ess he gives Pittsburgh a home town discount.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Interestingly enough, compare the years he scored over 30 goals with the years he scored under 30 goals and see what you find...
The only thing I see is that some years pucks go in the net, others they don't .

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Malone is a big guy that's strong down low, he's up to what 23 goals...I think about 10 of which in the 6-7 weeks since Crosby's been out.

Ryder will cost a minimum of 3.5 if not 4 on the open market which is nowhere as deep as last summer. I think Malone could get 5-5.5 unl;ess he gives Pittsburgh a home town discount.
$5.5M?!?!?!?!?!?!

for.. RYAN MALONE!?

Damn do I feel sorry for the fool that gives him that.

Please someone else tell this man he's crazy!

Old
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Not yet, but he's already farther along the curve than big bro was, AND he's showing a willingness to throw the body around. Over his head? I don't think so at all. Still learning and developing? Certainly.
He is further ahead in terms of age because he came to NA at 18 instead of at 20 like his brother, that helped his transition...but I don't think he'll ever have the impact his brother will, he isn't as strong on the puck and doesn't have the laser shot.

He has what, 3 points in his last 15 games or thereabouts? He was more productive with Lats and Lappy.

I see him more as a Higgins type who does everything well than a PPGM guy.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
He is further ahead in terms of age because he came to NA at 18 instead of at 20 like his brother, that helped his transition...but I don't think he'll ever have the impact his brother will, he isn't as strong on the puck and doesn't have the laser shot.

He has what, 3 points in his last 15 games or thereabouts? He was more productive with Lats and Lappy.

He has 3 PTS in his last 5 GP.
Andrei has 2 PTS in his last 5 GP.

As for Andrei being stronger.. He's 2 years older.. that has a lot to do with it, IMO.

Also, Sergei has a gorgeous shot. He needs to shoot more, not less. His shooting PCT is 23%.. that's crazy.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
$5.5M?!?!?!?!?!?!

for.. RYAN MALONE!?

Damn do I feel sorry for the fool that gives him that.

Please someone else tell this man he's crazy!
Somebody gave Drury and Gomez 8 mil per year. GM's have money to spend and pressure from fans and owners to improve the team...Malone is 6'4" 225lbs and on pace for 27 goals.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
The only thing I see is that some years pucks go in the net, others they don't .
Hahaha, fair enough. There IS a correlation with shooting percentage though, and the ability to finish. Shanny's is obviously on the decline, but that doesn't make him an unimportant part of his team all of a sudden.

I'm also trying to hunt down stats on not only shots and goals but missed shots. Higgy sure has his share of those...

Old
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Hahaha, fair enough. There IS a correlation with shooting percentage though, and the ability to finish. Shanny's is obviously on the decline, but that doesn't make him an unimportant part of his team all of a sudden.

I'm also trying to hunt down stats on not only shots and goals but missed shots. Higgy sure has his share of those...
I agree there.

I also think Higgins had a rough year though. Ryder got off to his slump and Higgins/Koivu had a new linemate ever game (Kostopoulos!!!!!)... I think that hurt him a lot this year or he'd be up around the 50 PTS plateau right now.

EDIT: Found missed shots.

Higgins has 73, Markov has 71, Kosty Sr has 56 (surprising.. maybe he needs to work on his shot aim.. cause he doesn't shoot too often).

Old
03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Also fair enough. Imagine the 3rd line of the future:

Higgins - Chips - S.Kost.

If there was enough offense in the line up to allow this use of assets, I would say things would be looking great.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:45 PM
HotPie

I wouldn't mind signing Jagr for a one or two year deal at 4.5 million per season, but we all know that would never happen.

Either way, other than re-signing our own players, I don't really see Gainey trying to acquire any UFA's other than possibly Hossa.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He has 3 PTS in his last 5 GP.
Andrei has 2 PTS in his last 5 GP.

As for Andrei being stronger.. He's 2 years older.. that has a lot to do with it, IMO.

Also, Sergei has a gorgeous shot. He needs to shoot more, not less. His shooting PCT is 23%.. that's crazy.
Both guys are done growing, guys stop growing at 16-17-18.

Since Feb 1st

Siharei

15 GP 3-2-5(was 1-2-3 in 12 prior to last Tuesday)

Andrei

15 GP 5-6-11

Old
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Also fair enough. Imagine the 3rd line of the future:

Higgins - Chips - S.Kost.

If there was enough offense in the line up to allow this use of assets, I would say things would be looking great.
I don't think you'll ever see Higgins out of the top 6. He just needs a finisher on his line so he can concentrate on just playing his 2 way game. Koivu Higgins and S.Kost are too similar, they need awinger that can really shoot(Ryder or Lats).

Old
03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Somebody gave Drury and Gomez 8 mil per year. GM's have money to spend and pressure from fans and owners to improve the team...Malone is 6'4" 225lbs and on pace for 27 goals.
Malone is a decent player, don't get me wrong. But no one will give him $5.5M per season.

Drury got $7M per season.. and it a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is an incredible leader & a playoff performer.

Malone is neither.

Malone is 28 (29 this year) and still this could be as good as the package gets.

I expect him to earn $3.5M per season.. ($3M if he stays in Pittsburgh). If he gets $4.5M I'd very shocked (especially in Pittsburgh) and if he gets $5.5M ... I'd laugh / cry at and for whoever signed him to that deal.

He's basically 29 (this year) and he's never scored over 45 PTS.. he's a 2nd liner at best.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Since Feb 1st

Siharei

Andrei

15 GP 5-6-11
Some people do keep growing until 25. Everybody's metabolism is different.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I don't think you'll ever see Higgins out of the top 6. He just needs a finisher on his line so he can concentrate on just playing his 2 way game.
First of all, you never know who will find their way on to the team. Players like Maxwell or the odd FA could change things. And the fact that Higgins ISN'T a finisher is exactly why he isn't written in stone in the top 6 as far as I'm concerned. Not a knock on him, but it's all about using players according to their strengths, not in terms of (implied) "status" that people seem to attach to "top 6" forwards. Obviously he has the talent to be considered "top 6" talent. That doesn't mean he is best used there given a team's mix of players, talent, etc.

edit: Oh, and I didn't realize there were people out there who consider Lats as a candidate for all-star shooting skills competitions... learn something new every day.

Old
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

Since Feb 1st

Siharei

Andrei

15 GP 5-6-11
Andrei Kostitsyn's PRODUCTION RATE (PTS per MIN) as a 20-year old.
30:08
22:53 (this year)

Sergei Kostitsyn's PRODUCTION RATE (PTS per MIN) as a 20-year-old.
28:23

So Andrei's production rate is 4:30 better than Sergei. Add in the fact that Andrei gets 1:30 more ice-time on the PP (#1 ranked).

In terms of offense, I think they are very similar. Andrei plays with the #1 line (Kovy / Pleks) for the majority of the year, where Kostitsyn has never had a solid line.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
First of all, you never know who will find their way on to the team. Players like Maxwell or the odd FA could change things. And the fact that Higgins ISN'T a finisher is exactly why he isn't written in stone in the top 6 as far as I'm concerned. Not a knock on him, but it's all about using players according to their strengths, not in terms of (implied) "status" that people seem to attach to "top 6" forwards. Obviously he has the talent to be considered "top 6" talent. That doesn't mean he is best used there given a team's mix of players, talent, etc.

edit: Oh, and I didn't realize there were people out there who consider Lats as a candidate for all-star shooting skills competitions... learn something new every day.
After thinking about it, I'd really like a line up like;

Kosty - Pleks - Kovy
Streit - Koivu - Jagr/Hossa
Higgins - Grabovski - Kosty
Lats - Chips - Lappy

Put those lines up against any in the league.. and I'd say we have the best #2, #3, and #4 lines in hockey. And probably a Top-5 #1 line (as Kosty / Pleks will be better next year).

You could switch around Streit / Latendresse.. but I really think if given the chance, Streit can score a lot more PTS on a scoring line. I can say this with full honesty, I could see Streit being a PPG player as a 2nd line forward / PP QB.

Old
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Yeah, but 5.5 mil?? He might double, heck, even triple his money. He won't quadruple it.

Old
03-03-2008, 07:29 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Malone is at best an average hockey player. If they paid him 5.5 million then the cap would have to top 100 million(at least). If Ryder is worth 3.5 why wasnt Bob able to get anything juicy for Ryder and Huet in a Combo?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Loop25

Hossa is going to be contract primadona this summer. Many teams will offer him contract as he is #1 lot of the auction. I don't want him got by overpaying. Sergei and Andrey are on the same point way as was for Plekanec. They should improve their numbers next year. If Bob belive in this then we do not need overpay this summer. If not... then pay attention to other snipers like Shanahan or Rolston . They won't be so capricious as Hossa, IMHO.

Loop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Jordan Staal had a SP of 22.1% last year. so what? it fell down to 6.1% this season.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Jordan Staal had a SP of 22.1% last year. so what? it fell down to 6.1% this season.
When you're hot, shoot. That's what. Especially if you have a great shot like S.Kost.