HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If the current standinds were the end of season standings.

Old
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
If the current standinds were the end of season standings.

It would make for some all time great series. If you look; there are some amazing matchups both in the east and west.

East
Montreal - Philly : Always great games between those two teams, both team similar as far as skill level, but it would go down as grit versus speed.

Pittsburgh - NY Rangers : If Jagr wakes up; this is one for the ages, Pitts has much better offence, but the Rangers have King Henry and some pretty good D, not to mention some great offensive guys. This would be a great series to watch.

Carolina - Boston : Boston is red hot, and is a very strong playoff team, Carolina is still very much the team that won the cup a few years back and should be beasts in the off season. Add Sergei Samsonov's awakening in Carolina and homecoming in Boston and you have a matchup for the ages.

Ottawa - New Jersey : That would be an amazing series, Brodeur versus the big line in Ottawa. Both teams play at 100% and you have some great hockey.

West

Detroit - Colorado : With the old 2001-2002 gang back, this should be something for the ages. Detroit is still a great team, Hasek has one last great series left in him at the very least...This is the type of game that will dominate the highlights.

Dallas - Vancouver : This would probably be the least exiting one, it would be all Luongo unless Naslund wakes up and plays phenomenal hockey. Dallas has the guns and a great goalie.

Minnesota - Calgary : A great young team versus what is possibly the best defensive teams in the league. This one would be almost too tough to call; but great to watch.

Anaheim - San Jose : Two teams that are basically neighbours, full of talent if both teams show-up as they can you'll be looking at a clash of the titans type of matchup especially if Marleau and Cheechoo play like we all know that they can. I still think Anaheim would win but would have trouble with the next team they face.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Brisk-Illusion

I'm sure you put a lot of time into your post (well not alot, but enough for it to be worth reading) , but in reality, matching up potential playoff match ups is just silly at this time. Team will move in the standings every night until the final day of the regular season.

Speculating over potential match ups is just time waisted from speculating what we are going to offer for Malkin next year. (supposedly Pittsburg will sign Hossa to a large contract this summer and will be unable to sign Malking as a RFA, now if you really want to be productive in your speculation, you have to think about which players you'd potentially offer if you were in a position you're never going to be in, in circumstances which will never, ever happen.)

THAT is the kind of thinking that gets you responses on this board my friend.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Guy Caballero

We would beat Philly, PITS beats NYR, and Boston would beat Carolina, and then we'd get the Bruins.

*rubs hands together*

Hello conference finals. Seems a lot more real when you look at it this way.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
It would make for some all time great series. If you look; there are some amazing matchups both in the east and west.

East
Montreal - Philly : Always great games between those two teams, both team similar as far as skill level, but it would go down as grit versus speed.

Pittsburgh - NY Rangers : If Jagr wakes up; this is one for the ages, Pitts has much better offence, but the Rangers have King Henry and some pretty good D, not to mention some great offensive guys. This would be a great series to watch.

Carolina - Boston : Boston is red hot, and is a very strong playoff team, Carolina is still very much the team that won the cup a few years back and should be beasts in the off season. Add Sergei Samsonov's awakening in Carolina and homecoming in Boston and you have a matchup for the ages.

Ottawa - New Jersey : That would be an amazing series, Brodeur versus the big line in Ottawa. Both teams play at 100% and you have some great hockey.

West

Detroit - Colorado : With the old 2001-2002 gang back, this should be something for the ages. Detroit is still a great team, Hasek has one last great series left in him at the very least...This is the type of game that will dominate the highlights.

Dallas - Vancouver : This would probably be the least exiting one, it would be all Luongo unless Naslund wakes up and plays phenomenal hockey. Dallas has the guns and a great goalie.

Minnesota - Calgary : A great young team versus what is possibly the best defensive teams in the league. This one would be almost too tough to call; but great to watch.

Anaheim - San Jose : Two teams that are basically neighbours, full of talent if both teams show-up as they can you'll be looking at a clash of the titans type of matchup especially if Marleau and Cheechoo play like we all know that they can. I still think Anaheim would win but would have trouble with the next team they face.
Pretty cool. But you've got it wrong. Calgary is no longer one of the best defensive teams in the league. They're 15th in G.A.A. in the league and were pretty sub-par last year too. Lucky for them they are 13th in scoring. Somehow they're 9 games above .500 but just +1 so they win close ones and lose big. Kiprusoff also has been no better than Huet, in fact worse, with a 2.73 GAA and a .903 sv%. Minny-Calgary wouldn't be great to watch on the road though, where the Wild play Devil-esque boring hockey.

But they're pretty freewheeling at the Xcel Energy Centre. As for us vs. Philly, it'd be the Habs as the big favourites for the first time in a series since the 1992 DSF vs. Hartford (in which we needed Double OT of game 7 to win). I'd say that'd be an ideal matchup because they won't be as vengeful as the B's even though we have their number. Plus their loss of Gagne is a huge blow. We'd take it in 5, IMO.

Then hopefully we see Ottawa upset NJ, Pitt. beat NYR and Boston beat Carolina so we'd get Boston in the second round then a choice of a weakened Ottawa or Pittsburgh team in the Conf. Finals! This is the perfect scenario I would say. Probably the easiest route possible to the Cup finals. We shall see.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Pretty cool. But you've got it wrong. Calgary is no longer one of the best defensive teams in the league. They're 15th in G.A.A. in the league and were pretty sub-par last year too. Lucky for them they are 13th in scoring. Somehow they're 9 games above .500 but just +1 so they win close ones and lose big. Kiprusoff also has been no better than Huet, in fact worse, with a 2.73 GAA and a .903 sv%. Minny-Calgary wouldn't be great to watch on the road though, where the Wild play Devil-esque boring hockey.

But they're pretty freewheeling at the Xcel Energy Centre. As for us vs. Philly, it'd be the Habs as the big favourites for the first time in a series since the 1992 DSF vs. Hartford (in which we needed Double OT of game 7 to win). I'd say that'd be an ideal matchup because they won't be as vengeful as the B's even though we have their number. Plus their loss of Gagne is a huge blow. We'd take it in 5, IMO.

Then hopefully we see Ottawa upset NJ, Pitt. beat NYR and Boston beat Carolina so we'd get Boston in the second round then a choice of a weakened Ottawa or Pittsburgh team in the Conf. Finals! This is the perfect scenario I would say. Probably the easiest route possible to the Cup finals. We shall see.
I must say that I'm quite surprised by Calgary, to be honest I've never crunched the numbers, I just think about Kipper and their great top 4 and think that they must be awesome defensively...I wonder if its the loss of Hamrlik...

I agree that we could take Philly...if they don't injure most of our top flight player. Personally I wouldn't want to face them not because I'd be worried about we beat them or not, but I'd be worried about being able to win after them.

Old
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post

West

*drool*

I take Jersey, Colorado (if they're healthy and Theo is awesome), and Anaheim in a wash. Imagine if Theodore and Hasek got into a scrap?

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Jakomyte

Winning our division is key. We want to avoid that 4vs5 matchup if we can.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
*drool*

I take Jersey, Colorado (if they're healthy and Theo is awesome), and Anaheim in a wash. Imagine if Theodore and Hasek got into a scrap?

Theo getting tune up by an old man