Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Leland Irving . .

Old
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
MrSimmons

vCash: 500
Leland Irving . .

Feb. 29, 2008 - Leland Irving recorded his 21 career regular season shutout stopping all 37 shots he faced against division rival Seattle Thunderbirds. He is now tied with former Thunderbird and Kootenay Ice goalie Bryan Bridges for most career shutouts in WHL history.

Included playoffs, Irving has recorded 24 shutouts in his career. That is good enough for 2nd all time (tied with Kelly Guard) and 2 back of Dustin Slade.

MrSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimmons View Post
Feb. 29, 2008 - Leland Irving recorded his 21 career regular season shutout stopping all 37 shots he faced against division rival Seattle Thunderbirds. He is now tied with former Thunderbird and Kootenay Ice goalie Bryan Bridges for most career shutouts in WHL history.

Included playoffs, Irving has recorded 24 shutouts in his career. That is good enough for 2nd all time (tied with Kelly Guard) and 2 back of Dustin Slade.
I seriously like this kid on a personal level. Every interview and clip I've ever seen shows a young man whos really humble. Add to that the fact that he has sucha good attitude despite dealing with so much strife as a really young child.

I felt so bad for the poor tyke (and apparently his coaches did too) when he was cut from the last team canada. Gotta admire the way he sacked up.. walked up to the mike and gave credit to the two guys picked ahead.

Good luck the rest of the way!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

I read about this on nhl.com. Really happy for him. He's going to be good.

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
SaveHextall

Latest THN moved him down to 42nd in the upcoming Future Watch list and saud his development as stunted though.

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 12:21 AM
MrSimmons

Did it give a reason for his stunted development?

I can understand that he benefited playing for a defense-first coach like Constantine. Becanic's more offense-orientated approach has led to poorer numbers as both Irving and the defense adjusted to less help from the front line.

That being said, he has had a season many goalies would give up their favorite set of pads for.

Old
03-02-2008, 12:42 AM
the_speedster

My feeling is leland should've moved on by now... been challenged more. Also missing out on the last world juniors might be the reason some view his development as stunted but hey... the two goalies picked were nothing to sneeze at. He should've spent this season in the AHL in my opinion. I doubt he's ready for the Carey price jump but a season (or two) in the A should help him determine for himself if he's ready for the next level.

Old
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Really like the kid. Few times I've seen him he has been very good. Struggled early in the season, but has been great the last couple months.

Quote:
He should've spent this season in the AHL in my opinion
I don't think he could have? Pretty sure he isn't old enough. Don't think this is his overage year in the dub. I could be wrong though.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 01:26 AM
MrSimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
My feeling is leland should've moved on by now... been challenged more. . . He should've spent this season in the AHL in my opinion.
He isn't an overager; he cant play for QC until the Tips are eliminated from the playoffs. He is eligible to play for QC next season and most of the informed Everett fans are not expecting to see him return.

Old
03-02-2008, 01:28 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Really like the kid. Few times I've seen him he has been very good. Struggled early in the season, but has been great the last couple months.

I don't think he could have? Pretty sure he isn't old enough. Don't think this is his overage year in the dub. I could be wrong though.
he's turning 20 this year. JEEZ unless hockeydb is wrong (Which they often are) lelands played in the CHl for 3 and a half seasons (the first game wa as a 14year old???) damn. I thought he'd be age appropriate for the AHL as he'd played for over 2yrs. not bad kid!

Old
03-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Sens4thecup

im a sens fan,

but what is the flames goaltending situation:

Kipper
Joseph
Krahn
McInnely
Lalande
Irving

will he even get a shot?!

Sens4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 01:34 AM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4thecup View Post
im a sens fan,

Kipper
Joseph
Krahn
McInnely
Lalande
Irving

Kipper
Joseph
McElhinny
Keetley
Krahn
Irving

When Kipper is done, if everything pans out, nothing unpredictable happens, Irving gets the nod.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:01 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4thecup View Post
im a sens fan,

Kipper
Joseph
Krahn
McInnely
Lalande
Irving

you can never ever ever have too much depth at goaltending. it's the law

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Damien

Send a message via MSN to Damien
I might be one of the few but I think Matt Keetley will turn out as the best of the bunch.

Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I might be one of the few but I think Matt Keetley will turn out as the best of the bunch.
I agree with you.

I hope they (Keetley and Irving) both turn out amazing for the Flames though *fingers crossed*

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
MrSimmons

While I only saw Keetley once in juniors, I see a lot of Irving. It wouldn't surprise me to see both of them make it somewhere. Calgary is going to have some decisions to make this off-season. Personally, I would love to see Irving back for 1 more season but I doubt it is going to happen. What is the contract status of McElhinney and Krahn?

Old
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimmons View Post
While I only saw Keetley once in juniors, I see a lot of Irving. It wouldn't surprise me to see both of them make it somewhere. Calgary is going to have some decisions to make this off-season. Personally, I would love to see Irving back for 1 more season but I doubt it is going to happen. What is the contract status of McElhinney and Krahn?

Both McElhinney and Krahn contracts are up at the end of the year. Unfortunetly for Krahn I think he is done as a flames prospect. I'd be surprised if he gets offered a contract for next year. Just to injury prone.

I expect to see Kipper and one of McElhinney, Keetley or even Irving with the flames next year. With the other two plus Lelande battling down in Quad Cities.

Old
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I expect to see Kipper and one of McElhinney, Keetley or even Irving with the flames next year. With the other two plus Lelande battling down in Quad Cities.
Hadn't Peter Maher mentioned around the deadline, that it's likely, that CuJo will be back with the Flames next year?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Well if Cujo did come back, I'd rather have Keetley and McElhinney in QC with Irving playing as an overager back in Everett. Not the best situation really, but I'd rather have him play almost all the games in the WHL than splitting games in the AHL at the expense of McElhinney or Keetley.

I'd rather see him facing more experienced shooters, but we can't sacrifice our goalie prospect depth just for him to fill a spot. Ideally I'd rather cut Cujo and promote one of our AHL guys for next year. If they're not ready to be a backup by then, who knows when they'd be ready.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Judging by the way we bring up young goalie and D, I don't think any of them will make it as a backup. Something may happen with one when Kipper moves on. McElhinney played pretty well in less than 120 minutes of play and they decide that was enough time to decide he didn't cut it? Same deal with Ramholt. Krahn is done.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:28 AM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Hadn't Peter Maher mentioned around the deadline, that it's likely, that CuJo will be back with the Flames next year?

That is definetly news to me. I like Cujo, but I would really like to see one of the kids step up and grab the backup spot.

Quote:
Well if Cujo did come back, I'd rather have Keetley and McElhinney in QC with Irving playing as an overager back in Everett. Not the best situation really, but I'd rather have him play almost all the games in the WHL than splitting games in the AHL at the expense of McElhinney or Keetley.
If Cujo does come back, I'd rather try to loan out one of our goalies to another AHL team then have Irving go back to Everett. Can't forget about Kevin Lelande either. He'll probably be ready to get steady time in the AHL next year. That's why I can't see Cujo coming back.