HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospects Discussion (Juniors, NCAA, RSL, ECHL etc - No Pack Discussion)

Old
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
my video feed died shortly after Cherepanovs first shift in OT

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

What a pass by Chere to win it.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
squishy

Cherepanov just set up the OT game-winner with 28 seconds to go with a nice feed out from the corner. Series tied 1-1.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I really hate these reports that Cherepanov is lazy and invisable... invisable because he didn;t score 9 goals today?

I see this game for 10 minutes and Cherepanov was all over the place in the defensive zone, and assists on the game winning goal...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I really hate these reports that Cherepanov is lazy and invisable... invisable because he didn;t score 9 goals today?

I see this game for 10 minutes and Cherepanov was all over the place in the defensive zone, and assists on the game winning goal...
he glides like crazy. he very rarely goes all out, but when he does, he makes it count. I wasnt happy with his effort level in this one.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Avy*

hahahahaha! Cherepanov clutch. Last minute in OT, Avangard looks like gigantic peace of **** and... and...

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Avy*

Guys Cherepanov saved his team ass right now, with 5 games elimination rule winning this game was the last Avangard chance.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
he glides like crazy. he very rarely goes all out, but when he does, he makes it count. I wasnt happy with his effort level in this one.
inferno272 look at his face in intermissions... clearly it's not luck of effort, it's conditions.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
A lot of guys glide.

When he is in the NHL he will have a lot of good guys around him to help him grow.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Guys Cherepanov saved his team ass right now, with 5 games elimination rule winning this game was the last Avangard chance.
it was a great play. but it doesnt take away from his....less than 100% effort level I saw out there.

It wasnt like all players were gliding around like him. He was noticeably uninvolved outside of that last play.

When he tries hard, hes a force. When he does his public session skates during his shifts, it gets on my nerves. The kid has tremendous skill, if his effort level matched his skill level all the time out there, hed be unstoppable.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
inferno272 look at his face in intermissions... clearly it's not luck of effort, it's conditions.
You could be correct. I mentioned it on my site during my wrapup just a few minutes ago, that it may be conditioning. I dont know exactly what it is, but it does bother me.

Quote:
A lot of guys glide.

When he is in the NHL he will have a lot of good guys around him to help him grow.
and they find themselves out of the NHL REAL quick.

Even Jagr doesnt glide as much as Chere did in this one. Jagr skates aggressively on the forecheck, and when he has the puck, and glides while getting back in the zone. Chere was gliding on every shift, both ways, and it was very noticeable.

I cant think of a glider on a our team right now. Dawes did it during his first stint, but now he skates all the time, in all 3 zones.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Avy*

Quote:
it was a great play. but it doesnt take away from his....less than 100% effort level I saw out there.

It wasnt like all players were gliding around like him. He was noticeably uninvolved outside of that last play.

When he tries hard, hes a force. When he does his public session skates during his shifts, it gets on my nerves. The kid has tremendous skill, if his effort level matched his skill level all the time out there, hed be unstoppable.
Conditions... You know why last year he had 30 more PIM's? He was much more aggressive and active in O zone. Keep in mind it was crappy slow trap game. Avangard just give it all to even making play-off and now they can't even skate.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Conditions... You know why last year he had 30 more PIM's? He was much more aggressive and active in O zone. Keep in mind it was crappy slow trap game. Avangard just give it all to even making play-off and now they can't even skate.
Well, you definitely know the team better than me. Im not doubting anything you say.

But if it is indeed conditioning. Then he should not be with the Rangers next year. He should either stay in Omsk, or play in Hartford.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
squishy

Quote:
The part I bolded describes most of the players on the ice though. You need to take into account the larger ice surface and the need to conserve energy for the real opportunities that arise. No one in the RSL goes all-out for an entire shift. Granted, I watched very little of this game because I'm at work, so maybe there was a real issue in this particular game, but what you described above is exactly what Anisimov could have been accused of a year ago and no one in Hartford has criticized his effort level.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Look you don't have to skate erratically all over the place like Ortmeyer to be playing 100%.

Ortmeyer skates erratic into anything that moves, taking him self out of plays... we want that from Cherepanov?

C'mon.

If you play hockey you can tell he does play 100%.

Also a knock on him is his play defensively... but funny because when i watch him play hes always all over the place in the defensive zone. Skating back hard on the back check, ect ect....

He is subject to the same lame, false, baseless critiques as Jagr.

People can't face the fact that he is what he is... an elite offensive talent that plays a fairy solid, albeit quiet, defensive game, but then again, he isn't there to be throwing his body around risking injury.

Ovechkin is a different story, but i can tell you there are people in that organization who wish he would tone the physicality down a notch because he will find him self wearing out earlier in his career then he should.

There is a reason Jagr could play at a high level of offense until the age of 36...

You can back check hard, poke check, get your stick in passing lanes... but DON'T ask a guy like that to throw his body around or jump infront of 90 mph slap shots... that is the job of a role player who is easily replaced when he gets injured doing that stuff.

However, your top goal scorers and offensive producers should be reserved for such.

So this sentiment that Cherepanov needs to be going crazy all over the place is false. He picks his spots, and he gets him self into position, and is there to either score or set someone up.

The RSL is notorious for not giving a rats butt about the development of its young players.

That is why when he gets to the NHL fully expect them to get the kid in extremely good shape.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
The part I bolded describes most of the players on the ice though. You need to take into account the larger ice surface and the need to conserve energy for the real opportunities that arise. No one in the RSL goes all-out for an entire shift. Granted, I watched very little of this game because I'm at work, so maybe there was a real issue in this particular game, but what you described above is exactly what Anisimov could have been accused of a year ago and no one in Hartford has criticized his effort level.
Yeah, i mean, i definitely agree everyone wasnt always giving 100% effort, and there was gliding going on here and there. but, to me at least, he stood out because i almost never saw his feet move. Like ever, outside of a few plays here and there. He was the 5th man back in the defensive zone just about every shift, and he was the 3rd forward into the offensive zone just about every shift.

who knows, maybe it stood out so much because i was focused very much so on him. I havent watched many RSL games in my life (like 4 i think), so i dont have the legs to stand on like you and avy do.

ill definitely concede my ignorance on the league en masse. All i can say is what i noticed today.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

From THN FW

Quote:
The Rangers arenít promising Cherepanov will
soon become another Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Malkin,
but, according to assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld, ďAlex is
definitely on track to be a high skill-level NHL player; heís
a powerful skater with a quick release.Ē

Management believes Cherepanov will be strong
enough physically and mentally to compete for an NHL
spot the moment he comes over. The issue is whether
the Blueshirts will be able to overcome the political issues
and get the flamboyant winger here next season
http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=...prev=sub&ncc=1

Turn to page 43

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
You could be correct. I mentioned it on my site during my wrapup just a few minutes ago, that it may be conditioning. I dont know exactly what it is, but it does bother me.

and they find themselves out of the NHL REAL quick.

Even Jagr doesnt glide as much as Chere did in this one. Jagr skates aggressively on the forecheck, and when he has the puck, and glides while getting back in the zone. Chere was gliding on every shift, both ways, and it was very noticeable.

I cant think of a glider on a our team right now. Dawes did it during his first stint, but now he skates all the time, in all 3 zones.
Actually, I would say Jagr is still very much of a glider without the puck. He'll race to get a puck, but if the Dman beats him there, he very rarely throws a check, instead reaching in with his stick. He doesn't work hard to get position unless he has the puck. And he glides and reaches a lot on the backcheck. Maybe he's afraid of taking penalties, I don't know.

This isn't really meant to criticize Jagr. I'm just pointing out that even one of the best players in the world has holes in his game. Chere is only 19 and if his work ethic is a problem, I have to imagine that his coaches talk to him about it. And I know the coaches here will push him, so I'm not really worried about it. As long as he has the passion to play and be the best, the work ethic will be there.

Kids like Dubi and Dawes were always told they weren't good enough, so they busted their ***** to prove everyone wrong. Kids like Chere and Bourret were always told how good they were, so they were never pushed to work hard. I don't think Bourret has the passion for the game and the will to be the best. I don't think he will ever realize his potential. But I think Chere is different. I think he truly loves the game and his decision to play another year in the RSL and get stronger, knowing that he wasn't ready for the NHL, shows his maturity and his desire.

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking out my ass here, but that's the impression I've gotten from him so far.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Actually, I would say Jagr is still very much of a glider without the puck. He'll race to get a puck, but if the Dman beats him there, he very rarely throws a check, instead reaching in with his stick. He doesn't work hard to get position unless he has the puck. And he glides and reaches a lot on the backcheck. Maybe he's afraid of taking penalties, I don't know.

This isn't really meant to criticize Jagr. I'm just pointing out that even one of the best players in the world has holes in his game. Chere is only 19 and if his work ethic is a problem, I have to imagine that his coaches talk to him about it. And I know the coaches here will push him, so I'm not really worried about it. As long as he has the passion to play and be the best, the work ethic will be there.

Kids like Dubi and Dawes were always told they weren't good enough, so they busted their ***** to prove everyone wrong. Kids like Chere and Bourret were always told how good they were, so they were never pushed to work hard. I don't think Bourret has the passion for the game and the will to be the best. I don't think he will ever realize his potential. But I think Chere is different. I think he truly loves the game and his decision to play another year in the RSL and get stronger, knowing that he wasn't ready for the NHL, shows his maturity and his desire.

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking out my ass here, but that's the impression I've gotten from him so far.
seems like a fair and balanced post. well said.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Avy*

During the game announcer said that Jagr called from New York and yawned best of luck to Avangard.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
SPG

Quote:
Well, you definitely know the team better than me. Im not doubting anything you say.

But if it is indeed conditioning. Then he should not be with the Rangers next year. He should either stay in Omsk, or play in Hartford.
If he's having conditioning problems, the last place I'd want him is back in Omsk. Get him over here (easier said than done, I know) and keep him closer to the organization, even if it's with Hartford.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Levitate

He does glide, but I don't think it's lack of effort as much as lack of...hmm, knowledge of what to do without the puck, perhaps.

I think he just needs some good coaching to teach him how to be useful when he doesn't have the puck instead of just gliding into position.

It's not a direct comparison, but if you look at Nigel Dawes last year and the start of this year in the NHL, he was very much uninvolved without the puck, but the Rangers got him to start playing smarter and be more useful when he's not on the puck.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Yeah, i mean, i definitely agree everyone wasnt always giving 100% effort, and there was gliding going on here and there. but, to me at least, he stood out because i almost never saw his feet move. Like ever, outside of a few plays here and there. He was the 5th man back in the defensive zone just about every shift, and he was the 3rd forward into the offensive zone just about every shift.

who knows, maybe it stood out so much because i was focused very much so on him. I havent watched many RSL games in my life (like 4 i think), so i dont have the legs to stand on like you and avy do.

ill definitely concede my ignorance on the league en masse. All i can say is what i noticed today.
inferno272 All these things i said many times last year, this year etc. Cherepanov is horribly weak, he can not with this conditions give it all every shift/fly over the ice, only in episodes.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Avy*

Quote:
There is a reason Jagr could play at a high level of offense until the age of 36...

You can back check hard, poke check, get your stick in passing lanes... but DON'T ask a guy like that to throw his body around or jump infront of 90 mph slap shots... that is the job of a role player who is easily replaced when he gets injured doing that stuff.
Funny but i seen he jump infront of slap shots in RSL games. His effort is good, he just too soft and weak for NHL game right now.

Old
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Get him over here (easier said than done, I know)
Russia lost their case over Malkin because previously contracts in Russia weren't binding like they are in the US (though they don't seem very binding sometimes lol). After they lost that case, they changed the way contracts worked to make them binding.

Breaking Chere's contract has to be a mutual agreement between both him and the team. Without that agreement, things could get very messy. But the question is, would they block him from coming over? At most all they can get from him is one more year then his contract is done anyway. Would they want him on the team for one year when he clearly doesn't want to be there?

Of course, there is the matter of compensation to Avangard and without a transfer agreement, I don't know how that will work out. Anything the Rangers agree to pay might have to go against the salary cap, if it's even allowed under the CBA.

Worst case scenario is he has to play one more year in Omsk and then he comes over. But I'm hoping that Chere's agreement to play this year for Avangard means they already have mutual understanding and they will release him from his contract.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote