HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avalanche TV ratings on Altitude

Old
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Seaward*

vCash: 500
Avalanche TV ratings on Altitude

I was just wondering if anybody had the TV ratings for the Avs games on Altitude. I am mainly interesting in seeing who draws better, the Avs or the Nuggets.

Thanks

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Alot depends on who's playing who...an Avs/Anaheim game will rate less than a Nuggets/Suns game. But an Avs/Canucks game will draw more viewers than a Nuggets/T-wolves game. The other thing to consider is Altitude and Altitude 2. Usually the team that plays on Altitude 2 gets a smaller rating...I dunno why.

On average the Nuggets get a slightly higer rating than the Avs. Something like a 2.2 for the Nuggets and a 1.8 for the Avalanche. For comparison...the Broncos typically get a 35.6 or higher and the Rox were getting about a 1.0 or less untill they started the run.

Last edited by Colorado Sports Fan: 02-22-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post
On average the Nuggets get a slightly higer rating than the Avs. Something like a 2.2 for the Nuggets and a 1.8 for the Avalanche. For comparison...the Broncos typically get a 35.6 or higher and the Rox were getting about a 1.0 or less untill they started the run.
That sounds about right, if we're talking about this year (or even into last year). It's important to note that if we're talking about anything else, the Avs have virtually always outdrawn the Nuggets, often with regular season ratings at least twice that high over the course of the season (and way, way higher than the Nuggets). It really took the Avs losing all of their star power and becoming a non-playoff team, while the Nuggets simultaneously possessed two of the biggest stars in the league (two of the top four scorers in the league, as well), before the Nuggets could basically draw comparable ratings to the Avs. 40% of the Nuggets' starting lineup is also 40% of the NBA All-Star starting lineup. That's a monumental difference (it's impressive that the Avs still maintian comparable ratings, frankly).

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
That sounds about right, if we're talking about this year (or even into last year). It's important to note that if we're talking about anything else, the Avs have virtually always outdrawn the Nuggets, often with regular season ratings at least twice that high over the course of the season (and way, way higher than the Nuggets). It really took the Avs losing all of their star power and becoming a non-playoff team, while the Nuggets simultaneously possessed two of the biggest stars in the league (two of the top four scorers in the league, as well), before the Nuggets could basically draw comparable ratings to the Avs. 40% of the Nuggets' starting lineup is also 40% of the NBA All-Star starting lineup. That's a monumental difference (it's impressive that the Avs still maintian comparable ratings, frankly).
I think it shows how fickle sports fans can be when it comes to winning.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

for the record...4.4 for the Nuggies last night and a 1.6 for the Avs. I'm sure the Avs playing at 8:30 and the Nuggies playing for 1st place had nothing to do with it

Old
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
for the record...4.4 for the Nuggies last night and a 1.6 for the Avs. I'm sure the Avs playing at 8:30 and the Nuggies playing for 1st place had nothing to do with it
Exactly. And not only playing for first place, but playing against the other top team. Playing at 7pm instead of 8:30, like you said. And also, playing on Altitude instead of Altitude 2, which does make a difference. A lot of people have Altitude on by default, or committed to memory, but not Alt 2. (Heck, a lot of people still don't even know where Alt 2 is on their various cable systems.)

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Seaward*

thanks for the info, where are you getting these numbers btw?

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

In case anyone is still curious. Avs have been up since Tuesday. Last night they beat the Nuggets head to head.

Old
02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
Quote:
In case anyone is still curious. Avs have been up since Tuesday. Last night they beat the Nuggets head to head.
Since the aquisition of Forsberg and Foote? No way.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Where do you get the ratings? The Altitude 1/2 thing had some factor last night but it'd be interesting to track exactly how big an impact the return of Forsberg is going to have...

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralRonin View Post
Where do you get the ratings? The Altitude 1/2 thing had some factor last night but it'd be interesting to track exactly how big an impact the return of Forsberg is going to have...
I work for Altitude. And I believe last night was the best the Avs have done all season.

Old
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

For the record... last night...highest rated Avs Regular season game in Altitudes History.

Thanks #21 and those watching at home

Last edited by Colorado Sports Fan: 03-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
For the record... last night...highest rated Avs Regular season game in Altitudes History.

It really is amazing the impact that Forsberg has had on the state of Colorado. He is truly loved here.

Huis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
anleva

Quote:
I work for Altitude. And I believe last night was the best the Avs have done all season.
Paul, any idea why last nights game wasn't in HD? I thought all Avalanche home games on Altitude were in HD.

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
Paul, any idea why last nights game wasn't in HD? I thought all Avalanche home games on Altitude were in HD.
because it was a late add to our schedule. The game was supposed to be on Versus but they dropped it...

Old
03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
because it was a late add to our schedule. The game was supposed to be on Versus but they dropped it...
HA. Foooools. An important division matchup + the return of Forsberg. If they truly cared about hockey, they'd be pissed about it.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
That turned out to be a wise decision on their part

Old
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
HA. Foooools. An important division matchup + the return of Forsberg. If they truly cared about hockey, they'd be pissed about it.
Oh, I don't know...even in LD (lower definition?) it still looked pretty good to see Forsberg back. Hell, I didn't have HD when he last played so it looked like old times to me. Besides...it could have been worse. VS. could've not dumped the game and AVs fans nationwide with the CI package could've missed the game all-together simply because VS is not on the freakin' dial in a lot of areas.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Horsehouse

I haven't watched many Altitude games at home...or someones else's home in a while so I never heard the intermission host guy or the other guy talk before. usually I watch Alt in a bar (no sound) or I catch the other team's broadcast on Sopcast.

It seems they're discussing more quality stuff than before or maybe I just didn't listen to the other guys as much . don't know that one guys name. the other guy was Tori Holt (lol) and then there was Sandy Clough. Altitude needs to handcuff Sandy's right hand to the chair...also turn him off "Bobble-Head" mode

Horsehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Oh, I don't know...even in LD (lower definition?) it still looked pretty good to see Forsberg back. Hell, I didn't have HD when he last played so it looked like old times to me. Besides...it could have been worse. VS. could've not dumped the game and AVs fans nationwide with the CI package could've missed the game all-together simply because VS is not on the freakin' dial in a lot of areas.
I think you mean SD or Standard Definition television... some day I hope to get HD... if the wife lets me

(yeah I know everything switches over to HD next year... but I don't want to wait that long )

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Commander Enigma

Quote:

Do you know how the ratings stacked up against similar Nuggets games (say, AI's first game as a Nugget or AI and Melo's first game together)....

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Nicky Santoro

hi guys, i know this thread is old, but i was searching on google for avs tv ratings and popularity in Denver and only this thread popped up.

so i'd like to ask you denver people.. Is hockey popular in denver or do they in general not care cause it's not really a hockey town?

and i'd love to know.. back in the glory yrs with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy and even Ray Bourque.. were the avs really big?? i don't need the exact tv ratings for the cup finals, but was it like 16.0 or greater, or never that high? those were great times and boy were those avs great and fun to watch.

Thanks alot

nicky.

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Avs challenged the Broncos during the glory days. That said Broncos will always be #1.

The majority of sports I have met in Colorado are fans of all the teams (Nuggets, Rockies, Avs, etc.), but they are also huge bandwagoners and will go to the team that is winning games. The attendance for The Can has been below average the last couple of seasons, but that is due to poorly constructed teams and rebuilding. Playoffs are usually soldout in every sport.

As the for the culture, I think the potential is very in Colorado, but it hasn't progressed as much as I thought for glory days of the Avs. Maybe we have to wait a few more generations. Though it has progressed astronomically. We have two fantastic triple AAA programs, one Junior A III team, and great college hockey culture where we get decent players.

The problem is kids growing up are playing multiple sports, baseball/football/hockey as I see it and they normally choose the baseball or football route instead of hockey.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I think it shows how fickle sports fans can be when it comes to winning.
Eh...no different than any other fanbase, really. It's a rare occasion to see fans line up to watch a struggling team. Sure, there are the Leafs in Toronto or the Cubs in Chicago, but that doesn't happen very often. Even the Broncos started taking some hits at the gate when McDouchebag was in charge, hence the quick firing.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

vCash: 12322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
hi guys, i know this thread is old, but i was searching on google for avs tv ratings and popularity in Denver and only this thread popped up.

so i'd like to ask you denver people.. Is hockey popular in denver or do they in general not care cause it's not really a hockey town?

and i'd love to know.. back in the glory yrs with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy and even Ray Bourque.. were the avs really big?? i don't need the exact tv ratings for the cup finals, but was it like 16.0 or greater, or never that high? those were great times and boy were those avs great and fun to watch.

Thanks alot

nicky.
I'm not from Colorado, but it all depends on if the team is winning or not. The Avs do hold the NHL record for most consecutive sellouts, which came from 95-03 (the glory days, obviously.)

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote