HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators lease agreement completed, ready for Metro review

Old
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Predators lease agreement completed, ready for Metro review

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/ne...iewStory=58983

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....S0202/80229112

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Watch it not get approved.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Watch it not get approved.
Actually I was thinking the sports council is going to wait and see if we meet the 14K standard and force the current deal to stay in tact

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 01:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

meh... its a done deal... book it... would be a huge political black eye for Dean if not.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
meh... its a done deal... book it... would be a huge political black eye for Dean if not.

only in the eyes of some. I get the feeling there is still a fairly large contingent of anti-hockey types in town who would include a special celebration for Dean at their next Nascar party.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Doesn't mater if they like hockey or not, for Dean to approve the deal after all those negotiations and then the council to vote it down would be a smack in Dean's face especially since it's his first major deal. And whether they like it or not, that ownership group has some pretty hard hitters for corporate Nashville.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2008, 10:34 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
only in the eyes of some. I get the feeling there is still a fairly large contingent of anti-hockey types in town who would include a special celebration for Dean at their next Nascar party.
Im sure thats true, but there is no way Dean ever let this deal get made in the first place if he didnt know he had the votes for it to carry. Its really a win-win for Dean... he negotiated and drug it out long enough that he can (rightfully) claim to the anti-hockey folks that he drove a hard bargain and made the best deal possible while still saving downtown... while at the same time to the pro-hockey folks he helped save the preds.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Cure Clause Rescinded

http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pl...entId=blogDest

Old
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
irisheyes555

your tax dollars at work...or not.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....S0202/80304055

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Statesman

Here is Paul McCann's take on this situation as quoted from his blog on Hockey Buzz:

"Now... to our friends on the Nashville Sports Authority... You have known the basics of the lease agreement for months... You have known that this is coming... why do you seem completely unprepared?

For those outside of Nashville, the Sports Authority announced yesterday that they are "not going to be rushed" into getting the lease agreement approved so the Metro Council can vote on it on March 18th. Now the earliest possible vote will be April 1st.

So what is the delay?

The Metro Government has negotiated this lease, and it's not like they did it in a vacuum... The document is not 1000 pages long. It's 87 pages.

Now... I'm not a graduate of the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading school, but I can munch through 87 pages with fairly good comprehension and retention in a few hours... let alone a week. I read the pdf file that was published on the Tennessean's website four days ago... while working a full time job, and being a dad, and blogging... Hey Sports Authority... It's called multi-tasking... try it sometime.

Let's break down that 87 page document... I want to be fair here... 87 pages could be looked at as a lot...

The first seven pages is the table of contents... the next 13 and a half pages consist of definitions of terms used in the agreement. So now... a detailed review is only needed of 67 pages (defintions are used as a reference) ... hmmm...

But wait... the last five pages of the document consist of signature pages and two unused Exhibits (read... blank). OK... now we're down to a review of 62 pages.

Not done yet... two pages consist of a detailed description of the arena site (Exhibit A)... that hasn't been re-negotiated (and it would be a good trick if it was!)... we're at 60 pages to be reviewed...

Exhibit B in the document consists of one page referring to a previously signed agreement already on file with the Sports Authority, repeating something earlier in the document... now we're at 59 pages to be reviewed...

Three pages of the agreement is space for more signatures... only this time notarized... Another page describes where to send copies of the agreement... we're now down to 55 pages...

55 pages... heck, my kids get more reading than that in a night's homework!

55 pages... and this can't be reviewed in a week??? I wish I had that kind of a job.

C'mon Sports Authority... quite messing around and get this done!"

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
lstcyr

So, it takes Metro this long to complete the deal and we all think it's the same deal. Granted the major terms are the same but you're dealing with a legal document that had to have been changed many times. It's not unreasonable for the Sports Authority to take its time.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
So, it takes Metro this long to complete the deal and we all think it's the same deal. Granted the major terms are the same but you're dealing with a legal document that had to have been changed many times. It's not unreasonable for the Sports Authority to take its time.
if that is the case hand it over to a couple of different contract lawyers, get them the reduce it to the nut-and-bolts of the deal and have them report back the next day or two. they can highlight all the significant bits of the deal and any changes since the tentative deal. surely the city has such individuals at their disposal.

but like i have been saying bureaucracy in-action. if anything governmental ever got done quickly they would form a steering committe to make recommendations on how to enlarge themselves in order to insure that it might not possible happen again sometime.

we have waited this long now, why not a few more months. just haven't missed the fact that the next council vote is on 4/1.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
lstcyr

I think we're being a bit unfair. I've been involved in many deals and if the other party involved just dumped it on me at the last minute without involving me in the details as they went along, I'd be taking my time to make sure I agreed with the document.

Old
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I think we're being a bit unfair. I've been involved in many deals and if the other party involved just dumped it on me at the last minute without involving me in the details as they went along, I'd be taking my time to make sure I agreed with the document.
they just didn't "dump it" ... they've been going through it for months ... almost 4 to be exact

Old
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
they just didn't "dump it" ... they've been going through it for months ... almost 4 to be exact
I don't think the Nashville Sports Authority has been involved in the negotiations about the details in the agreement. If they have, then you're right they should be able to move faster. I think what's happened is that Metro negotiated the legal details and this is the first time the Sports Authority has had to see the legal languge. If that's true, then I still say the SA should take the time they need to review it.

Old
03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How much time do you need to review a lease?

I've been in commercial property management for years, it's not that hard.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How much time do you need to review a lease?
I've been in commercial property management for years, it's not that hard.
I don't disagree with you but I'm sure you've never signed a lease without being comfortable with what it says.

Old
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Sports Authority Approves Lease...now up to Metro Council on April 1st!

Although the Tennessean did a great job of hiding this fact in their venom spewed throughout the headline and the article...the Sports Authority passed the new lease documents by a 7-1 vote today. The only dissenting member was Steve North. The lease documents now are scheduled to go before the Metro Council on April 1st.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS02/80318057

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Although the Tennessean did a great job of hiding this fact in their venom spewed throughout the headline and the article...the Sports Authority passed the new lease documents by a 7-1 vote today. The only dissenting member was Steve North. The lease documents now are scheduled to go before the Metro Council on April 1st.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS02/80318057
could that article have sounded more negative? the general impression was,

"the evil predators and their tyrant owners are going to handcuff you, the innocent taxpayer, to the tune of millions of dollars that were previous earmarked for special ed schools and kitten shelters!"

Old
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The City Paper's article is up now

Old
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
lstcyr

And why wouldn't you want the paper to point out how much it's going to cost the taxpayers? It's a commitment and there's no reason to hide the reality of the cost. People should know and understand what's happening in the city. And, believe it or not, there are a lot of people who aren't Pred fans.

Old
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
And why wouldn't you want the paper to point out how much it's going to cost the taxpayers? It's a commitment and there's no reason to hide the reality of the cost. People should know and understand what's happening in the city. And, believe it or not, there are a lot of people who aren't Pred fans.
You don't feel that the article was slanted? The positive aspects of the deal\keeping the team here simply don't bear mentioning? It's sensationalism, as usual...and as usual, you're sticking up for it.

Old
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
The problem is that the amount is being glorified and taken out of context as the writer of this article (Colby Sledge) has not been on the story the entire time and is not familiar with the facts.

As 101st Fan pointed out over on the NP.com boards, "The $3-4 million paid by Metro is equal to their operating expenses obligation under the old lease. Never let a little detail get in the way of a bad story."

Furthermore, the headline is incredibly biased and very misleading as it doesn't even mention that the lease changes were passed. Therefore, I believed originally upon seeing it that the article it was linked to was going to be an editorial and not the actual article saying that the lease changes had been approved.

There is no way to justify the headline or the bias throughout the article. Sorry, but trying to do so will only continue to make a mockery of yourself as we are all aware of your connections (past and present) with the Tennessean.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
could that article have sounded more negative? the general impression was,

"the evil predators and their tyrant owners are going to handcuff you, the innocent taxpayer, to the tune of millions of dollars that were previous earmarked for special ed schools and kitten shelters!"