HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cammi

Old
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally posted by VisionQuest
Let's break this down once again;

Who do the Kings have on their backline, or in their system, ready to step up and take a big role as a physical, shutdown guy besides JJ?

assets are used to acquire needs. thats it. bottom line. Scoring isnt a problem for this team now (even w/ cammi out of the lineup) and that trend looks to continue in the future.

What's our future defensive trending looking like?
If Cammy could get a 1-2 dman, then trade him. I'm not moving him unless I get something amazing in return.

Regardless of what you say, cammy is a proven commodity. Any team in the league would be happy to have a player of his caliber on their team.

Here's the bottom line, the kings have plenty of picks/prospects they can deal to get what they want w/o trading MC.

I'm not saying they'll get a 1-2 dman, but a solid "in your face" dman is not out of the question.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
Do you really trust DL's FA signings?
See, here's the funny thing about that. I'm not going to say his free agent signings were good and I'm not going to defend them. None have really worked out for this team.

BUT, he did target and pursue and offer contracts to the big name players. He is trying, but the problem is these guys are going elsewhere because of many reasons. Gomez wanted to stay in the east coast, as did Chara. And the Kings were close to signing Big Z when he was a free agent and he also decided to stick to the East coast. Likewise with Drury.

So, Lombardi had a roster to fill and there were players who have had success in the past that could have turned the corner and they weren't over the hill, unfortunately, they are players who either don't fit the coach's style or injury prone.

Since he didn't get the building blocks he pursued, he had to fill the roster with some proven players. I didn't think the Preissing signing was bad, but with the type of defense the Kings have, he hasn't looked good.

On the Sharks and Sens, he was a good puck moving defenseman and he does have a decent shot and made good decisions on when to pinch in. I guess he had more reliable teammates on those clubs than he does on the Kings and he can't take the same risks and chances as he did with the Sharks and Sens.

I thought Handzus would be better than he has been. He's good with his stick, covering passing lanes, but he's slower than ever before due to his knee injuries and surgery recovery and he's been invisible in the offensive zone. He is primarily known for his two-way game and good passing skills but he hasn't displayed that.

I would take Handzus on the Kings any day of the week prior to his injury riddled season with the Hawks. He was known as one of the best third line centers in hockey when he was with the Flyers, and I hope he returns to that level with the Kings.

Brad Stuart as a #3 defenseman was a good signing. Calder actually looked good early on in the season, doing a great job fighting for the puck along the boards and in front of the net. Then he suffered a thumb injury and has never been the same.

Nagy is Nagy. Inconsistent and invisible. When he's on, he could look like Ziggy Palffy, like he did in one particular game this season against the Oilers. He even had a big part in the comeback against Dallas. Lombardi took a risk in signing him and it has not paid off.

I have nothing positive to say about any of his signings from the previous season. Scott Thornton and Brian Willsie are nothing more than 3rd-4th line scrubs.

But when it comes to trades, Lombardi seems to do well in terms of acquiring young talent. O'Sullivan has been one of the best surprises this season. Jack Johnson is showing more and more confidence on the ice and is going to be a future leader on the team. His free agent signings of prospects are working well in Manchester and may soon find themselves with the Kings.

I'm convinced Lombardi is trying to fix this team. Is he always right? Of course not, but I don't see him not trying to improve the team. I'm not pleased with the veterans on the team but I'm excited when I see Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan and Johnson leading this team into the future.

When you are a last place team, you can only get better. I'd actually be surprised if this team regresses any further next season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
If Cammy could get a 1-2 dman, then trade him. I'm not moving him unless I get something amazing in return.

Regardless of what you say, cammy is a proven commodity. Any team in the league would be happy to have a player of his caliber on their team.

Here's the bottom line, the kings have plenty of picks/prospects they can deal to get what they want w/o trading MC.

I'm not saying they'll get a 1-2 dman, but a solid "in your face" dman is not out of the question.
If you wait until you get something amazing in return, you may be amazed and get nothing. The time to fleece another team in a trade was last summer after the arbitration hearing, not now.

I noticed that you reduced your demand to a solid "in your face" defenseman at the end of your post. That is probably the best Lombardi can do, and address one of our major needs, in a straight up deal for Cammalleri.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

I have no problems with his trades.

Top flight UFA's will not sign here until the kings start winning.

Old
03-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGS17
If you wait until you get something amazing in return, you may be amazed and get nothing. The time to fleece another team in a trade was last summer after the arbitration hearing, not now.

I noticed that you reduced your demand to a solid "in your face" defenseman at the end of your post. That is probably the best Lombardi can do, and address one of our major needs, in a straight up deal for Cammalleri.
DL won't let it get that far. If he doesn't have cammy locked up by the end of summer or even draft day, he's gone. However, cammy was never one of DL's favorites.

The demand was for picks/prospects going the other way for the "in your face" dman, not cammy.

Old
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
guzmania

Horribly? (Hewitt screams, "C'mon!")

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
DL won't let it get that far. If he doesn't have cammy locked up by the end of summer or even draft day, he's gone. However, cammy was never one of DL's favorites.

The demand was for picks/prospects going the other way for the "in your face" dman, not cammy.
Well, what exactly do you think the Kings can get in a straight up deal for Cammalleri, because I am pretty sure Lombardi tried to move him at the deadline, but there were no takers. I am sure that Lombardi was hoping to get overpayment out of whoever was interested, but we all have to assume that an unsigned Cammalleri's value is only going to decrease as time goes on.

To get a good young defenseman I think we are back to Cammy and a pick. Fortunately the Kings have an abundance of picks this year.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:31 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
Cammi = (somewhat) proven commodity
Top 5 pick (somewhat) of a crapshoot

You take a roster player at a need position for Cammi - no exceptions.
With all that said, Cammy doesn't = a top 5 08 pick. If you can pull that off you have to do it.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Cammy being traded = just as dumb as any of the other young stars of this team being traded = typical of how Kings have mismanaged their assets in the past = hopefully not happen again.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Cammy being traded = just as dumb as any of the other young stars of this team being traded = typical of how Kings have mismanaged their assets in the past = hopefully not happen again.
Like who? Friend of the Russian mafia Alex Zhitnik? Daryl "I got traded because my play got progressively worse" Sydor?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Like who? Friend of the Russian mafia Alex Zhitnik? Daryl "I got traded because my play got progressively worse" Sydor?
Dick Duff...seriously though, my post should have referred to mismanagement of youth (trading away picks, etc. and not just trades).

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
LenDet64

Quote:
This is a habit that I hope this current organization has ended. There are a select few who equate wanting a big payday as greedy and not a team player therefore such a player should be immediately shopped so as not to corrupt the remainder of the team.

LenDet64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
How about Exelby + from Atl for Cammalleri?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
How about Exelby + from Atl for Cammalleri?

Ive been touting that idea for a long, long time. My conclusion is that the ATL will NOT part with him.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Youngblood93

TRADE HIM. And he will be traded, if not on draft day he will be gone by next years deadline. No way he resigns. He will become a UFA after next season.

Cammy asking for 6 million a year is a joke. Anyone catch Cammy not be able to hit the net on that shot in St. Louis the other night as time was running down.

Besides, the Kings have other guys in the system that could step into his place next year.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Cammy gettting traded will not be dumb. DL will get pretty good return for him. Cammy is also a UFA after next season and will test the waters and leave LA. So you better get something for him.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote