HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

2017-2018 STH pricing

Old
03-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Preds33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
They openly promote selling games you can't go to on the TM fan-to-fan site, then complain people are selling too many tickets. Pretty rich (no pun intended) if you ask me.

Honestly, I think they know that next year when the Leafs are legitimately good the re-sale prices will be absolutely outrageous so they're trying to get their piece of the pie now. Can't blame them from that end - the fact that my Raptors seasons went up 30% this year on the other hand...
It's one thing to sell about 10-15 of the 41 games, but when you are selling 50% or more, then maybe just maybe you don't need to be buying season tickets. It's not like Toronto has a shortage of season ticket holders in waiting.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 12:53 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
I disagree with that, but that's not to say it isn't a valid point.

Where I fully agree with you is if you want to go after re-sellers, then actually go directly after them (like the Bruins did) and take their tickets away. This just ends up as a tax on the people who actually go to games while most scalpers in this city have more than enough inventory to not really be affected by this.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 01:46 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
It's one thing to sell about 10-15 of the 41 games, but when you are selling 50% or more, then maybe just maybe you don't need to be buying season tickets. It's not like Toronto has a shortage of season ticket holders in waiting.
Nice idea, but if that was the case there would be very few season ticket holders outside of corporations. Most people are not going to go to every game. Theaub is right, they use the ability to re-sell for a profit in part of their sales pitch, and then turn around and complain. Secondly, when you sell on the ticketexchange the league/team is getting a cut of the fee and the teams can use the information to justify (in their own minds) the price increases.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 01:49 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
I disagree with that, but that's not to say it isn't a valid point.

Where I fully agree with you is if you want to go after re-sellers, then actually go directly after them (like the Bruins did) and take their tickets away. This just ends up as a tax on the people who actually go to games while most scalpers in this city have more than enough inventory to not really be affected by this.
The Bruins are stupid for doing that. If I were a Bruins STH, I would stop selling on the ticketexchange and if I wanted to sell games, simply do so privately or on stubhub where they do not have access to the information.

Old
03-13-2017, 02:02 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The Bruins are stupid for doing that. If I were a Bruins STH, I would stop selling on the ticketexchange and if I wanted to sell games, simply do so privately or on stubhub where they do not have access to the information.
Pretty sure the teams that care have bots that swim through the available seats on the third party sites and collect the info if they want to act. I remember seeing posts here a while ago indicating that teams have used that info in the past.

03-13-2017, 02:08 PM
IME

If they were really worried about scalpers, they would set up a ticket-exchange that mandated face value transactions (or up to 10% increase to cover costs of hosting such a site). Then, they would institute a policy where the only way you could transfer tickets was through this site.

Then, they could heavily police the arena premises to crack down on scalpers. Ticket licenses already allow for forfeiture for unauthorized transfer. Make it a condition of the ticket that you cannot sell for above face value. Then, go out near the arena and confiscate those selling tickets for above face value. A couple of nights of taking all the tickets away from a scalper would help things out immensely.

But...we all know that NHL teams don't really care about scalpers. They only care that the increased market value goes to someone other than the organization.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Yes I believe it was the Devils that went through Stubhub etc to track people.

Quote:
Nice idea, but if that was the case there would be very few season ticket holders outside of corporations. Most people are not going to go to every game. Theaub is right, they use the ability to re-sell for a profit in part of their sales pitch, and then turn around and complain. Secondly, when you sell on the ticketexchange the league/team is getting a cut of the fee and the teams can use the information to justify (in their own minds) the price increases.
I agree with this 100%. Its not like there are a ton of people lining up to buy Leafs seasons who are actually going to go to every game. I would say the entirety of the waiting list is either corporations or people who are going to use the similar 'sell 30, use 10' mantra that most people I know who have seasons use.

But I believe the Bruins went specifically after out of state people (ie the ones who they found didn't go to a single game), which makes sense to me. As much as I appreciate the hustle, a pro sports team shouldn't just let their own tickets be used solely as a business for the buyer. There is someone out there who will at least use a nominal amount of the tickets. Not that I think the Bruins truly care since they're getting their share of the money either way, but it is a move that at face value brings a bit of goodwill.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Pretty sure the teams that care have bots that swim through the available seats on the third party sites and collect the info if they want to act. I remember seeing posts here a while ago indicating that teams have used that info in the past.
You can post on stubhub without listing the seat numbers. Secondly, just because someone lists on stubhub, doesn't mean they actually sell. I have listed many tickets on stubhub (and the exchange) and then later took them down because I sold them to a friend or decided to keep the tickets.

Old
03-13-2017, 07:18 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
If they were really worried about scalpers, they would set up a ticket-exchange that mandated face value transactions (or up to 10% increase to cover costs of hosting such a site). Then, they would institute a policy where the only way you could transfer tickets was through this site.

Then, they could heavily police the arena premises to crack down on scalpers. Ticket licenses already allow for forfeiture for unauthorized transfer. Make it a condition of the ticket that you cannot sell for above face value. Then, go out near the arena and confiscate those selling tickets for above face value. A couple of nights of taking all the tickets away from a scalper would help things out immensely.

But...we all know that NHL teams don't really care about scalpers. They only care that the increased market value goes to someone other than the organization.
You do realize, states passed laws making what you are saying, illegal? YOu also do realize that when scalping laws WERE more restricting, the scalpers got much higher premiums for their tickets, right?

Old
03-13-2017, 07:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
But I believe the Bruins went specifically after out of state people (ie the ones who they found didn't go to a single game), which makes sense to me. As much as I appreciate the hustle, a pro sports team shouldn't just let their own tickets be used solely as a business for the buyer. There is someone out there who will at least use a nominal amount of the tickets. Not that I think the Bruins truly care since they're getting their share of the money either way, but it is a move that at face value brings a bit of goodwill.
This I agree with, about out-of-towners. On the otherhand, when my brothers and I first bought our Giants PSL's, he was living in Virginia as he was stationed at Quantico. I contacted the Giants to ask if that would be a problem and they said it wouldn't. Worst case, he would have used my address, which he actually does now even though he lives in NY and not with me.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 03-13-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old
03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Demand
|
|Scalpers Live Here
|
Price
|
|
|
Supply

As long as Demand outstrips supply, raising prices is the best way to "fight scalpers" It also helps your bottom line. Scalpers exist because teams miss-price their tix, and they (scalpers) look to take advantage of the value left in the market by teams.

I've never paid more than face for tickets, and have gotten some great deals on concert and CFL tickets, because of reselling. People complain about scalpers, when it's a problem with the team. They can't increase supply, like in normal retail space, so they should increase the price.

Last edited by Tom ServoMST3K: 03-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 08:47 AM
IME

Quote:
You do realize, states passed laws making what you are saying, illegal? YOu also do realize that when scalping laws WERE more restricting, the scalpers got much higher premiums for their tickets, right?
What is illegal about dictating the terms of your license to watch the game? Last I read the freedom to contract is as strong as ever. Tickets get revoked for violating the terms of the license all the time.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Coyotes Release Seating Chart and Pricing...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote