Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Keenan ends Cory Sarich's Ironman streak

Old
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
SlyGuy

vCash: 500
Keenan ends Cory Sarich's Ironman streak

What are your feelings on Mike Keenan making Sarich a healthy scratch for last night's game, ending his 453-game streak and his reign as the current NHL Ironman?

Personally, I think it was a classless move by Keenan who should have used other methods to get his point across (that Sarich needed to play better). On the other hand, his job is to do what is best for the team, not for Cory.

Your thoughts?

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
AndersEriksson*

Sarich ended the streak himself by playing himself into the press-box. Good move by Keenan.

And Rhettzky scored

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Sarich played like crap in the previous game, and an ironman streak doesn't put him above anyone else on the team. Good move by Keenan in order to get the message across, and by the looks of their start in Phoenix, it seemed to work.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
thomascal377

fun fact: the ironman streak is now owned by andrew brunette

thomascal377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
apetitfor400

with the way things are going in Colorado, I'd be surprised if that streak is extended past this season.

apetitfor400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
Sarich ended the streak himself by playing himself into the press-box. Good move by Keenan.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
DG

Has Sarich really been playing that poorly?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
He hasn't looked very good for some time now. He's been losing puck battles, making terrible passes, coughing up the puck...it hasn't been pretty.

Old
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
I would say Sarich has been fine this season, especially after he and Regehr developed some chemistry.

Although these last few games since he has been wearing the “bubble” he hasn’t been good, and as Keenan mentioned he can’t see the puck at his feet, so he was scratched, not some much because he was awful but when you have eight NHL defenseman and one is playing while still recovering from the Flu and in a “bubble” and obviously struggling you sit him until he is well and play those who are healthy.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Nordique

An iron man streak has as much to do with playing well as it does being physically durable, so I think Keenan was right to sit the guy if he wasn't top 6 on that given night.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
It wasn't nice to see his streak end that way, but I don't him being benched because of the flu and the bubble he's been wearing. He needed a break. I didn't think he was playing that badly.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 01:23 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
It's to bad for Sarich. I really like him and didn't think he had been that bad, but when you have 2 veterans sitting someone has to come out. Hope he gets back in the lineup next game. Thought Regehr was terrible tonight so I'd like to see them back together.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 07:20 AM
abracanada

Well, since he sat, the Flames have allowed a total of 1 goal. The message is clear, play well or sit. Iron Mike means it. I bet Sarich returns and plays the best hockey of the year from here on in, pissed off or not.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Well, since he sat, the Flames have allowed a total of 1 goal. The message is clear, play well or sit. Iron Mike means it. I bet Sarich returns and plays the best hockey of the year from here on in, pissed off or not.
I would have to agree with you. He will come back hungry and ready to play.

Old
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascal377 View Post
fun fact: the ironman streak is now owned by andrew brunette
And he's done it with the same team for a few years now, a pleasant change from the past.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Hyde

Sarich Update:

Quote:
Mike Keenan announced defenceman Cory Sarich would likely be back in the lineup Friday after sitting out the past two games. Keenan suggested too much was made of the end of Sarich's ironman streak and insinuated that the term "healthy scratch" was used too loosely in his case. The coach said the combination of "dental trauma" -- i.e. Sarich had his teeth knocked out -- and illness left the veteran blue-liner at far less than 100 per cent.

“I should have taken him out before the game that I did,” said the skipper, “because in fairness to him — and it was never discussed — he was really sick in Minnesota (on Feb. 24) and played. That’s after he had dental trauma, which means he had his teeth knocked out (in a Feb. 20 contest at Dallas). So on top of being sick, he couldn’t eat well. He got run down.
“There was something made of it in terms of his ironman streak, but he hung on, really, in two or three games that he shouldn’t have played because of his health. He’s getting healthy now.”
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...ch-update.aspx

Old
03-06-2008, 12:28 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

Good on Keenan for coming out and speaking on this. Makes sense for him to rest Sarich to get him back at 100%. Hopefully we see his face-shield gone sooner than later, too.

If things like this and the supposed "goalie controversy" continue to get cleared up, people like Bruce Dowbiggin won't have anything to write about.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
If things like this and the supposed "goalie controversy" continue to get cleared up, people like Bruce Dowbiggin won't have anything to write about.
Well in his latest article he has decided to nominate the Sens as the most disappointing of all the Canadian teams. Good old Doh’Boy.

Old
03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
MEEPSTER4

As much as I hate to see ironman streaks end, if he was playing bad enough to sit then he probably deserved it.

MEEPSTER4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Yep good on Keenan for coming out and clearing it up for everybody. Sarich obviously wasn't at his best and with 2 capable d-man waiting to get in he had to sit Sarich. We'll be needing Sarich as healthy as possible as he'll be a big part if we are going to make a run in the playoffs.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
ForeignFlame

Keenan did the right thing. It wasn't in the team's best interests to keep playing Sarich under duress, while 2 healthy defensemen sit in the press box.

ForeignFlame is offline   Reply With Quote