HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Game 68: Columbus at Philadelphia | 3/13 7PM

Old
03-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
That's exactly what makes it cool.
Since two of those teams have won Cups? Yeah.

Old
03-14-2017, 11:54 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

I had an opportunity to listen to a fair amount of the NHL network on Sirius radio this morning. Rob Stellick and Gord Simpson are the hosts. After listening to them and several of their guests, I believe that the Blue Jackets are exactly right back to the place they began this year in everybody's conscientiousness.

What I mean by that is the Blue Jackets got very little respect. All of the discussion was about Washington and Pittsburgh. As they looked ahead to playoff matchups, it was about the Capitals recent slump and how that was a good thing to make them work to win the Presidents trophy. It was about how red-hot the Penguins are as they prepare to defend their Stanley Cup. Zero mention of the Blue Jackets.

One guest specifically mentioned who teams would want to match up against. They mentioned about how nobody would want to match up against the Bruins since they have been playing so well since the coaching change. Same for Montreal - they are so tough since the coaching change. Toronto is sooooo hot. Watch out for the Inlanders - they are playing well too. Then he came to Columbus. The following quote went something like; "I know I'm going to make those couple Blue Jacket fans mad, but if I was any team that qualified for the playoffs, I would want to draw Columbus. I just don't think they are that good. Okay, maybe their goaltender is okay, but I can't see Cam Atkinson carrying them in the playoffs. I'm just not that impressed".

I didn't make me mad - because I don't care at all. This is going to get decided on the ice, not on the airwaves or in cyberspace, or some electronic forum.

Nobody has really taken a look at the defense this team has put together. Nobody realizes that this team has the ability to get into a 7 game series and only give up 1 or 2 a game, with the occasional shutout thrown in. Nobody realizes that a combination of Scott Hartnell, Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson and Brandon Dubinsky will take a toll over the course of a series. Nobody realizes that Bandon Saad, Cam Atkinson, Sam Gagner, and Oliver Bjorkstrand have some skill that make every line a threat to score.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter where the Blue Jackets finish. If they win the Metro, the comparisons to the Colorado fluke 2 years ago will be brought up. If they finish 3rd, it will be "okay Pittsburgh in 5". Nobody is giving this team any respect, in spite of 16 straight wins and everything else.

.......and this is all just fine with me. Could the CBJ get swept in 4? Sure. But based on everything I have seen, get ready for a lot of people to ask themselves the same questions they were asking themselves in early January. "How are these guys doing this?"

I hope we cream all those punks.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
I had an opportunity to listen to a fair amount of the NHL network on Sirius radio this morning. Rob Stellick and Gord Simpson are the hosts. After listening to them and several of their guests, I believe that the Blue Jackets are exactly right back to the place they began this year in everybody's conscientiousness.

What I mean by that is the Blue Jackets got very little respect. All of the discussion was about Washington and Pittsburgh. As they looked ahead to playoff matchups, it was about the Capitals recent slump and how that was a good thing to make them work to win the Presidents trophy. It was about how red-hot the Penguins are as they prepare to defend their Stanley Cup. Zero mention of the Blue Jackets.

One guest specifically mentioned who teams would want to match up against. They mentioned about how nobody would want to match up against the Bruins since they have been playing so well since the coaching change. Same for Montreal - they are so tough since the coaching change. Toronto is sooooo hot. Watch out for the Inlanders - they are playing well too. Then he came to Columbus. The following quote went something like; "I know I'm going to make those couple Blue Jacket fans mad, but if I was any team that qualified for the playoffs, I would want to draw Columbus. I just don't think they are that good. Okay, maybe their goaltender is okay, but I can't see Cam Atkinson carrying them in the playoffs. I'm just not that impressed".

I didn't make me mad - because I don't care at all. This is going to get decided on the ice, not on the airwaves or in cyberspace, or some electronic forum.

Nobody has really taken a look at the defense this team has put together. Nobody realizes that this team has the ability to get into a 7 game series and only give up 1 or 2 a game, with the occasional shutout thrown in. Nobody realizes that a combination of Scott Hartnell, Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson and Brandon Dubinsky will take a toll over the course of a series. Nobody realizes that Bandon Saad, Cam Atkinson, Sam Gagner, and Oliver Bjorkstrand have some skill that make every line a threat to score.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter where the Blue Jackets finish. If they win the Metro, the comparisons to the Colorado fluke 2 years ago will be brought up. If they finish 3rd, it will be "okay Pittsburgh in 5". Nobody is giving this team any respect, in spite of 16 straight wins and everything else.

.......and this is all just fine with me. Could the CBJ get swept in 4? Sure. But based on everything I have seen, get ready for a lot of people to ask themselves the same questions they were asking themselves in early January. "How are these guys doing this?"

Well said, couldn't agree more. The play reveals everything.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Jaxs

Old Guy, I would rather the team get no respect. Not that pros should need more motivation, but in this case it can help.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 12:34 PM
PanarinDangles9

Glad we got the W last night.

Is it me, or has Wennberg been nearly invisible at 5v5 lately? Going to need him at the top of his game down the home stretch and into the playoffs.

PanarinDangles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:

Hope Torts can get a transcript of that broadcast, or maybe an audio recording, and play it on a loop during practices.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Well said, couldn't agree more. The play reveals everything.
No sense in tiptoeing through.

Double-Shift Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Heinze 57

Quote:

Good post. I think it's just a matter of our guys came from so out of nowhere that they don't get how it's happening. We haven't been around long enough at this level for them to know what to make of us so we're dismissed for the regulars. The quote that singles out Atkinson shows how little they know about this team. Like he's the only guy we have? Not even close. They've won 44 games out of 68. They're the only team that hasn't lost 3 straight games. That's an accident? That's unimpressive? We'll be a tough out and I'm basing that off of their record games in playoff-like games.

Also, I like going into the playoffs with an Ohio Against the WorldTM mentality. That suits this team so much better than being the favorites. It insures they'll be focused and intense.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
pete goegan

Quote:

Not everyone is totally oblivious. Last night, the guys on the NHL network, Weeks and Danyko, were very high on the Jackets, Cam, Bob, and the rest. Specifically, they thought the CBJ were set up for a very competitive playoff run, with good young players and solid vets. They stressed that the ice gets smaller in the playoffs and the game gets more physical. The Jackets were described as big, fast, skilled, and able to play whatever kind of game was called for. Nice post game interview with Cam, to boot!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
Glad we got the W last night.

Is it me, or has Wennberg been nearly invisible at 5v5 lately? Going to need him at the top of his game down the home stretch and into the playoffs.
I was at last nights game in Philly and I feel Wennberg was our worst player, he gets a little hesitant when there is some pressure and the game is super scrappy.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
BobVEZINAsky 110

Quote:
I heard that interview. The guest was some Toronto guy named Michael Traikos. He also said "If I was Washington or Pittsburgh, I'd be licking my lips to play Columbus." He also said that he didn't see the Wild going anywhere either.

The host was kind of stunned.

BobVEZINAsky 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 05:25 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
I heard that interview. The guest was some Toronto guy named Michael Traikos. He also said "If I was Washington or Pittsburgh, I'd be licking my lips to play Columbus." He also said that he didn't see the Wild going anywhere either.

The host was kind of stunned.
Well I was stunned also, but I wasn't mad or angry. It just pointed up that the Blue Jackets have a very unique opportunity in front of them. I really don't care where they finish in the Metro. I hope they finish 1st, but I really don't care.

I'm not saying they will, but this team is perfectly poised to run to the ECF, and everybody will be shocked if it happens. (almost everybody - at least if you are outside the 614)

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote