HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Preds @ Canucks: 3 In A Row Edition

Old
03-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Bleifooss

vCash: 500
You guys are cracking me up. I am not saying that it was right what Rypien did, but 22 took a 100 feet run at Miller. If that makes that legal for you, fine by me. That punk has no respect.

Bleifooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:06 AM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty-seven View Post
You guys are cracking me up. I am not saying that it was right what Rypien did, but 22 took a 100 feet run at Miller. If that makes that legal for you, fine by me. That punk has no respect.
It's still a clean hit. He stopped skating and glided in. As for what happened afterward, if you come after a guy (especially Tootoo) after he throws a big hit, you need to be prepared to defend yourself. Bourdon came at Tootoo with his stick up too. That said, Tootoo did get him in the mush pretty good, and I can see a penalty for it.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Bleifooss

A 100 feet run at a player doesn't make hit more legal. Now I am so happy that we helped you guys to get more than one page on your gdt. And by the way, fiddler shooting the puck on purpose into bieksa's face? What a bunch of losers.

Bleifooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm sorry, but Tootoo's hit on Miller was 100% clean. It definitely wasn't a 5 minute boarding penalty.

As for Bourdon, if you want to skate in on a guy your significantly larger than, well expect consequences. I have no problems with what Tootoo did. The hit was clean, if anything, Rypen's hit on Koistenen was a charge, not vice versa.

good one.

I knew I shouldn't have come here but... well I like punishing myself.

Tootoo's hit was clean. Other than it being a charge with intent to injure, of course.
but I'm not here to argue with you as we will forever disagree. With me being the Canucks homer and you being a Tootoo homer.

But how you can defend a cross-check to the face boggles my mind. But hey, you find reason for anything if you're a fan

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:18 AM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty-seven View Post
Now I am so happy that we helped you guys to get more than one page on your gdt.
Oh snap, you win!

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:19 AM
caycanuck

Quote:
Agreed!
I thought you had no problems with what Tootoo did?

caycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

good one.

I knew I shouldn't have come here but... well I like punishing myself.

Tootoo's hit was clean. Other than it being a charge with intent to injure, of course.
but I'm not here to argue with you as we will forever disagree. With me being the Canucks homer and you being a Tootoo homer.

But how you can defend a cross-check to the face boggles my mind. But hey, you find reason for anything if you're a fan
Who cares how far Tootoo came to make the hit, Miller had the puck, was looking straight at him, was not put into the boards with his numbers showing, was not elbowed, and Tootoo did not leave the ground. You can try and stretch the play into a charge, but by the way the game is called, that hit was perfectly fine. It was MUCH more legal than Rypien's hit, as Rypien actually left his feet on the hit.

I'm not defending the cross-check, as much as I'm pointing out that it was not an intent to cross-check Bourdon in the face. Tootoo is an idiot, I'll readily agree, but he was going for the chest in this instance. Bourdon pushed the hands up high, making it appear as if it was a headshot, which simply was not the case. Don't forget that Bourdon is at least 5 inches taller than Tootoo, more like 6 inches....

03-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cay16 View Post
I thought you had no problems with what Tootoo did?
I was referring to the initial hit. Tootoo shouldn't have lead with a stick on Bourdon, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy clearly coming in with the intent to do some damage...especially given the height and size advantage Bourdon possesses.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

LMFAO, HOMERS in this thread BIG time.

Tootoo is an idiot, and what he did to Bourdon was wrong.

why? well pred fans....it doesnt matter how big bourdon is, it doenst matter that bourdon came in to challenge tootoo......bottom line is tootoo came in STICK FIRST....and up high...

LOL

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Who cares how far Tootoo came to make the hit, Miller had the puck, was looking straight at him, was not put into the boards with his numbers showing, was not elbowed, and Tootoo did not leave the ground. You can try and stretch the play into a charge, but by the way the game is called, that hit was perfectly fine. It was MUCH more legal than Rypien's hit, as Rypien actually left his feet on the hit.

I'm not defending the cross-check, as much as I'm pointing out that it was not an intent to cross-check Bourdon in the face. Tootoo is an idiot, I'll readily agree, but he was going for the chest in this instance. Bourdon pushed the hands up high, making it appear as if it was a headshot, which simply was not the case. Don't forget that Bourdon is at least 5 inches taller than Tootoo, more like 6 inches....
I'm not sure what game you were watching...... Tootoo's hit was boarding or charging....or both....it was a dirty hit at the end of a lost game....and it was totally "in character". Rypien hit a pinching defenseman head on......hardly a questionable incident.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:43 AM
dittohead

Quote:

See, that's the problem. There is thing called charging in hockey. When you come flying in from the blueline like that with the sole purpose of hitting someone it is charging. Every time I watch a Nashville game Tootoo seems to take a few long distance runs at somebody. As for the stick-up high... anyone who thinks that is clean or okay is a ****ing idiot. Tootoo throws his stick into Bourdon's face and then drops the gloves, he is a piece of **** and a coward. Hopefully the NHL decides to suspend him for a while.

dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

I don't get the complaints on Rypien's hit....It is like he didn't even wanna hit Koistenen, Koistenen ran straight into him, head down...

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 02:29 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
WARNING: Vancouver fans might not like this post, but tough...this is the Nashville board, go whine over on your board. Your behavior tonight is very close to the BS that we put up with over the summer and what has lead to many longtime posters stop coming here. Don't try to come here and "teach" us hockey. We have some very knowledgeable posters here and many more that are new to the game and become intimidated by the BS posts telling them that they are worthless. This board is for open discussion and in a situation such as this there will be differing opinions, none are necessarily correct, nor are any necessarily wrong. Agree to disagree, but stop trying to intimidate people because that behavior alone will turn off more people than anything else. If you want to have an active conversation, then treat others with respect...you are afterall on the Nashville board. If you want to post here with extreme bias and a total lack of respect for an entire fanbase, city, etc...then go post on the threads devoted to the stupidity we all witnessed tonight over on the NHL General Discussion board or on the Vancouver board.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie For Captain View Post
I don't get the complaints on Rypien's hit....It is like he didn't even wanna hit Koistenen, Koistenen ran straight into him, head down...
I have not rewatched it, but live and on the replay shown on the telecast, it looked like a headshot. Yes, Koistinen was pinched and had left himself vulnerable by reaching out for the puck (ie: lowering his head), but it appeared that not only did Rypien target his head on the initial hit, but he followed through with a shot to the head after the initial contact.

I'm also upset about the no call when both Tootoo got boarded at the penalty boxes and Bonk got boarded behind the net earlier in the game.

Old
03-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Seth Lake

In reaction to the Tootoo hit, sorry, but it was no where near as bad as the VAN telecast made it out to be. That reaction was purely based on reputation. However, Tootoo is screwed because you are always responsible for your stick and he did hit Bourdon in the head with two hands on his stick.

That being said, Tootoo attempted a "push off" move prior to fighting Bourdon because Bourdon came at Tootoo with one hand on his stick at head level and hadn't yet dropped the gloves. Tootoo, and other Predators, have been told repeatedly by the league that regardless of the intentions of the opponent coming at you...you cannot simply throw a punch (gloved hand or not) without proper procedure. Jordin saw Bourdon coming in and he was simply attempting to follow procedure with the "push off" move (ie: the cross check w/o viciousness) and was then going to drop the gloves and fight. Unfortunately Tootoo's stick hit Bourdon's shoulder pads and rode up his chest to his face at which point Bourdon turtled and it was all over.

I have been watching hockey for almost 20 years now and no one can tell me that this move is unique to Tootoo. Players have been doing it for years and many follow the "push-off" with a slash which clearly did not happen here.

I say he gets three games (but wouldn't be shocked if he got 5). But he doesn't deserve it (anything more than 3, he will be suspended) and Rypien should get the same for going straight for Koistinen's head on the hit that immediately preceded and initiated this. I think the NHL will rescind the game misconduct for boarding, but will suspend Tootoo for the stick incident.

That all being said, this game really reminded me of watching the VAN-COL game at GM Place prior to the lockout that lead to the Bertuzzi-Moore incident. In that game too the referees failed to make the calls necessary throughout the game to establish control and stop the b_______t before it happened. Tonight we saw Tootoo get boarded at center ice, Bonk have his head bounced off the glass after getting boarded behind the net, Koistinen receive a head shot, and no penalties on any of these...then they make a reputation based call on Tootoo (boarding, not cross check) to try to regain control far too late - way after the game was out of control - and a massive brawl was bound to happen. The referees assigned to the game should be reprimanded by the league.

Old
03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
scoring first and playing from ahead in general is huge against this team. get ahead and make them play your game, a more open, skating, non-trapping type game.
Too bad we only had 36 seconds to try to get the lead. It's pretty sad when a game is over only 37 seconds in.

So if Mason plays in Cgy and plays well do we then start hearing people jump back onto Mason's bandwagon?

I thought we had the #3 PK? And it's not like their PP is Montreal or something (who went 0for against us!). That was pathetic. If they're not going to clear the puck, then just move and let 5 guys all shoot on Mason/Ellis. At least then they could see the puck and have half a chance to make a save.

Why are players allowed to push the goalie into the net when he has the puck covered? Ellis clearly had it covered (at least on Vancouver's TV feed) and the guy pushed his arm into the net.

24 shots allowed in the first period!? Way to come out prepared guys!

------------

Charge maybe, but the hit on Miller itself was clean, Miller had the puck when he was hit and Tootoo never left his feet nor did he have any elbows up and Miller was not hit from behind. Both Tootoo and Bourdon came together with their arms up but Tootoo got the crosscheck into Bourdon's chest before Bourdon's attempt (to push/punch/crosscheck/whatever he was going to do) so his own arms rode Tootoo's stick up and into his face. If the check was in Bourdon's face, we would say yes and agree with everything, but it wasn't. It was in his chest. Again, no one is defending him leading with the stick, just taking issue that he did not put the stick into bourdon's face.

However, none of this would have happened had Rypien not hit Koistinen. I thought his hit was fairly clean (I only saw it once) but totally unnecessary with under 2 minutes to go in a 6-2 game. The game is out of hand, and it was obvious Nashville had absolutely nothing going right for them on the night and was frustrated. But he leveled a very non-physical Koistinen and right or wrong, Tootoo felt he had to answer. (Koistinen didn't go down like that from just skating into Rypien with his head down)

It's funny that Tootoo's crosscheck is 'omg sooo dirrty' and 'he'z a punk' but the crosscheck on him (one that sent him head first into the boards by the way), the boarding on Bonk, or the crosscheck on Smithson in front of the Van. net is just part of the "rough stuff."

And Bieksa shot the puck right back at Fiddler so both are guilty there. If Fiddler actually shot it at his face, no one ever actually showed that - only a dump in on a PK, then it was dumb. And Bieksa would be stupid for retailiating like that. Don't just single out Fids there, both are involved and you don't know for sure that Fids sent the puck right to Bieksa's face.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Roger Explosion

Terrible game, I expect a much better effort tomorrow.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 900
1. Dont talk hockey with the all powerful hockey gods from the north, hockey is their greatest export, it is awesome, therefore they are awesome, if you dont believe me just ask, they will be more than happy to tell you all about it.

2. Our goaltending is w-e-a-k and inconsistent. Mason's 5 hole has killed us this year. When that goal went in I knew we were done for the night.

3. Gotta be impressed with Hlavac, we are getting our money's worth there.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:20 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Wow, glad I went to bed before the third. I could tell this game would get out of hand, with refs calling ticky-tack slashes and holds but ignoring hits like the one on Smithson in front of the Canuck net when the play was essentially dead. As for the other incidents I did not witness, this is what happens when the officials don't keep control of the game when it is over on the scoreboard. I have watched more than enough hockey to recognize that.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 07:41 AM
RollingPredFan

Tootoo will be suspended, the Canadian media will whine till they get that. Doesn't matter if it was a clean hit or not. And Tootoo was boarded earlier but no call of course

Ellis stunk, terrible short handed goal to start.. Mason stunk, he cannot stop anything through his 5 hole... Defense stunk. Looked like a repeat of the Buffalo game. And Vancouver is weak offensively lol

Its almost a good thing we have game tonight, try to forget this one, although its a disturbing trend we are giving up so many goals here lately.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I actually think Ellis should have been left in. The shorthanded goal was bad...but the other was a 5 on 3, and then the third one was questionable in that Pettinger was allowed to whack at his glove until the puck popped out and went in. The game was still reasonably close until Mason gave up the soft 5-hole for the fourth, at the end of the first.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Jarnberg

Are all Canucks fans this whiny? Jeez, littering our boards with crap.

Complete overreaction on Tootoo's hit, especially when the Canucks had a few questionable hits of their own.

Its hilarious, a ton of fans (fans of all teams) on these boards whine about how the edge is being taken out of hockey and how Bettman has ruined the league trying to remove fighting and hitting. But yet any game that as any hit of physical play, there is a huge thread on the main board whining about everything and trying to get people suspended. Now obviously there is a difference between some of the plays Chris Simon has made and physical plays, but alot of what gets "fans" so up in arms on these boards is hilarious.

The players will settle it themselves on the ice (cough get rid of instigator rule, cough).

The other night in Buffalo, Tootoo took it from 3 Buffalo players (two who were late to the play) and he didn't respond with anything in the neighborhood of cheap and got rewarded with a bunch of penalties while Buffalo got away clean. Fast forward that to the game last night and you see exactly why Tootoo reacted like he did.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 03-07-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Upchuck19

I'm a Canuck fan and I don't know why this has taken up so much discussion. Tootoo got the 5 minutes and I don't think he will get suspended. He got his stick up and didn't hit Bourdon very hard. Bourdon fell back to avoid the stick, he wasn't cut or hurt.

It shows how average the refs are right now, they meet after the line brawl and give Tootoo 5 minutes for boarding, two for a high stick. What game were the 4 blind mice watching?

With the injuries Shea has had this year it has taken away some of his mobility. He's not the same player from last year and it shows with missing 29 games this year. I just hope he can remain healthy and stay out of the press box.

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
Every time I watch a Nashville game Tootoo seems to take a few long distance runs at somebody.
Perhaps you should watch more games then. Jordin Tootoo has been a respectable player this season. He is a completely different player then years past. Unfortunately for him, his reputation is still there.

Tootoo has actually been a solid player for the Predators this year and his numbers are showing that. He's becoming more of the player that the Predators wanted when they drafted him.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I actually think Ellis should have been left in. The shorthanded goal was bad...but the other was a 5 on 3, and then the third one was questionable in that Pettinger was allowed to whack at his glove until the puck popped out and went in. The game was still reasonably close until Mason gave up the soft 5-hole for the fourth, at the end of the first.
Mason actually settled in nicely last night. Bieksa had way too much room to walk in on the five-hole shot (still Mase should have stopped that) - defensive breakdown. Hamhuis made a horrible decision with his stretch pass through the trap that set up the Raymond goal - high skill play, give credit where credit is due Raymond earned that goal. Then he had no chance on the PP goal when Salo shot that puck wide (I think it was intentional) and it came right out to the player standing off to the side of the goal.

Chris will get the start tonight and this is his opportunity to step up and earn back some respect both inside and outside the locker room.

As for Ellis, he made a horrible mental mistake on the first goal by not going out to play the puck. He then compounded it by second-guessing himself and eventually getting caught in-between and not being prepared for the actual shot. Has to make the correct decision there in the first place, but even still...he needs to immediately rebound and make the save. Unfortunately, that was just first (actually second - Koistinen trying to soccer down a bouncing puck at the blueline with a player charging him was first) of many mental mistakes last night that lead to the 6-2 result.

We will bemoan everything all day long, but know that the players had until the time they got onto the bus last night to hang their heads down low, but once they got on that bus their minds were turned to Calgary tonight.