HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Copps Coliseum is now officially a 'relic'

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2017, 04:15 PM
  #226
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
So what I am trying to say is there is a double standard that it is ok in the USA. but anywhere else forget about it this is why the NHL. is a 5th most popular sports league North America because you got idiots at the top like Bettman , Daily & Jacobs running the League they need to get guys to run this league that are good business men & are in touch with reality because the current bunch is not only ruining the game by putting teams in markets that don't want them but the league is loosing money hand over fist with only 11 out 31 teams making money the leagues popularity has sunk to an all time low by being 5th most popular right behind College Sports all in the name of growing the game REALLY C'MON .


In my opinion this what the NHL. should do 1. Expand to Quebec City by the 2018\2019 season 2. Relocate the coyotes , hurricanes & panthers to Seattle , Hartford & Southern Ontario (Hamilton) 3. Get rid of Bettman , Daily & put a muzzle on Jeremy Jacobs big mouth 4. Hire a hockey guy as commissioner & not a basketball guy .

Trust me if the NHL. dose this there popularity will sky rocket & the money will start rolling in if they abandoned the policy of growing the game in markets that don't want hockey .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 06:07 PM
  #227
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Ok listen carefully I am about to debunk all the so called territory claims that the Leafs & Sabres have been making for years because if you look at a map the Rangers , Devils , Islanders & Flyers are all within a 100 miles of each other & yet there where no territory claims made when they awarded franchises to them .
That was a long time ago. Maybe they weren't as stringent about the so-called 100 mile rule back then. Considering the power that MLSE probably exerts with Bettman and the board, I think Hamilton would have to pay a significant territorial fee for an NHL franchise.

The good news is a place like Kitchener would be outside both territories and would not have to pay such a fee. It has access to a large population base similar to Hamilton. Ultimately having a team there would give southern Ontario two teams it has long desired.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 07:01 PM
  #228
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
That was a long time ago. Maybe they weren't as stringent about the so-called 100 mile rule back then. Considering the power that MLSE probably exerts with Bettman and the board, I think Hamilton would have to pay a significant territorial fee for an NHL franchise.

The good news is a place like Kitchener would be outside both territories and would not have to pay such a fee. It has access to a large population base similar to Hamilton. Ultimately having a team there would give southern Ontario two teams it has long desired.
The Rangers were ok with the Islanders because they wanted to block the WHA from putting a franchise on Long Island.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 09:15 PM
  #229
jason2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
That was a long time ago. Maybe they weren't as stringent about the so-called 100 mile rule back then. Considering the power that MLSE probably exerts with Bettman and the board, I think Hamilton would have to pay a significant territorial fee for an NHL franchise.

The good news is a place like Kitchener would be outside both territories and would not have to pay such a fee. It has access to a large population base similar to Hamilton. Ultimately having a team there would give southern Ontario two teams it has long desired.
Kitchner is a wild card some think they might lose some of there major tech companys to Toronto or Ottawa if that was to happen it could become like Detroit when they lost the auto sector.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 09:30 PM
  #230
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Kitchner is a wild card some think they might lose some of there major tech companys to Toronto or Ottawa if that was to happen it could become like Detroit when they lost the auto sector.
Who thinks that lol? Google just built a huge (and very expensive) building for their Canadian headquarters in downtown Kitchener. Shopify opened a large office next to CIGI in Waterloo and has been hiring dozens of people in the last six to twelve months. D2L and OpenText are expanding. I'm aware of a sizeable robotics/automation firm that has greatly expanded. This is just a few. I know quite a few people involved at the Greater KW Chamber of Commerce and I have never heard this. Quite the opposite is true, tech companies with major operations in other Canadian cities have been opening up offices in KW and investing heavily in resources there. It's a more desirable location than Toronto, and especially Ottawa.

Tech and high end services are two industries you don't have to worry about in Canada. That's KW's economic base today (and why KW has a bigger economy than Hamilton despite being half the size). It's not going to become Detroit lol.

Nullus Reverentia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 09:45 PM
  #231
Dust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Hamilton didn't lose the Memorial Cup bid solely because of their arena situation. I'm sure it was a small factor in the larger scheme of things, but they were the long shot to host the event regardless. Both Oshawa and Regina had much better bids, with better teams and a lot more history in the CHL.

Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 09:21 AM
  #232
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Kitchner is a wild card some think they might lose some of there major tech companys to Toronto or Ottawa if that was to happen it could become like Detroit when they lost the auto sector.
just for fun, can you provide one credible source for this?

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 11:57 AM
  #233
gordie
Journeyman Despres
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Ok listen carefully I am about to debunk all the so called territory claims that the Leafs & Sabres have been making for years because if you look at a map the Rangers , Devils , Islanders & Flyers are all within a 100 miles of each other & yet there where no territory claims made when they awarded franchises to them .
Territorial claims aren't automatic. The Kings under Bruce McNall encouraged and wanted another team in the Los Angeles market. Toronto and Buffalo are clearly opposed as Tim Horton's founder Ron Joyce found out in 1990.https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...tman_says.html

That article from 2014 says it all.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2017, 11:36 PM
  #234
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
The NHL is never coming to Hamilton, that's just a reality some around here need to grasp. I actually read a post on here the other day where the guy claimed a Hamilton NHL team would be #5 in revenues.

Man if that isn't delusional, I don't know what is.

Anyway they should go ahead an tear down that white elephant and put the land to better use. I'm sure a 5-6000 seat arena would work for the an OHL team to use before it relocates in a few years to be replaced by an AHL team which will last 5 or so years before relocating and being replaced by an OHL team again and the cycle will repeat as it always has in Hamilton.
and what better use would that be, given you have such an intimate understanding of Hamilton?

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 03:05 PM
  #235
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Ok listen carefully I am about to debunk all the so called territory claims that the Leafs & Sabres have been making for years because if you look at a map the Rangers , Devils , Islanders & Flyers are all within a 100 miles of each other & yet there where no territory claims made when they awarded franchises to them .
Bzzzzt. Wrong. I'll take territorial indemnification fees for $4M Alex.

Those expansions and relocation were done with the consent of the existing teams in return for territorial indemnification fees.

The Rangers agreed to let the expansion Isles play within their territory for an $4M fee - equal to half of the $8M expansion fee the Islanders paid.

The Devils paid $12.5M in territorial fees to the Rangers, Isles, and Flyers - ~60% of the $20M purchase price McMillan paid to buy the Rockies.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:58 AM
  #236
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
just for fun, can you provide one credible source for this?
More whistful thinking on his part.

The big tech campus that Nortel built in Ottawa is no longer for the taking. DND bought the campus and have been moving pers in since the new year. I was there for a 5 week assignment and saw the place slowing filling up by the week.

Most of the other properties are still occupied by other companies that bought property at the cheap.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 10:32 PM
  #237
Jeffrey93
Registered User
 
Jeffrey93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Bzzzzt. Wrong. I'll take territorial indemnification fees for $4M Alex.

Those expansions and relocation were done with the consent of the existing teams in return for territorial indemnification fees.

The Rangers agreed to let the expansion Isles play within their territory for an $4M fee - equal to half of the $8M expansion fee the Islanders paid.

The Devils paid $12.5M in territorial fees to the Rangers, Isles, and Flyers - ~60% of the $20M purchase price McMillan paid to buy the Rockies.
What about the most recent team in this discussion? The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

They didn't pay a dime.

It was agreed to by the Kings....but the Ducks franchise didn't pay a cent to encroach on their territory. The Kings were paid.....but it wasn't by the Ducks.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 10:43 PM
  #238
Gnashville
One and Done
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
What about the most recent team in this discussion? The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

They didn't pay a dime.

It was agreed to by the Kings....but the Ducks franchise didn't pay a cent to encroach on their territory. The Kings were paid.....but it wasn't by the Ducks.
Disney paid half of it's $50 million expansion fee to the Kings for territorial rights.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Ducks
Quote:
. An entrance fee of $50 million was required, half of which Disney would pay directly to the Los Angeles Kings in order to share Southern California

Copps is certainly not a relic, since a relic is actually something of value it's more like an eyesore.


Last edited by Gnashville: 03-22-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 10:56 PM
  #239
Jeffrey93
Registered User
 
Jeffrey93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Disney paid half of it's $50 million expansion fee to the Kings for territorial rights.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Ducks



Copps is certainly not a relic, since a relic is actually something of value it's more like an eyesore.
The design of Copps makes it nowhere near a relic. The arena was built knowing that it isn't going to be on opening day what it could potentially be down the road. Everything about it is sound. Upgrades are needed...that is all.

The Ducks paid a $50M expansion fee.....just like the Florida Panthers did. However, the Panthers' $50M expansion fee went entirely to the league. The Ducks' $50M expansion fee saw $25M go to the league and $25M go to the Kings. Therefore.....the Ducks paid nothing more than the Panthers.....but encroached on the Kings' territory. The Kings were paid by the league....not the Ducks.

If you want to suggest the Ducks paid a territorial fee....then the Panthers paid one as well. I wonder who the Panthers paid $25M in territorial fees to?

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 11:59 PM
  #240
Gnashville
One and Done
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
The design of Copps makes it nowhere near a relic. The arena was built knowing that it isn't going to be on opening day what it could potentially be down the road. Everything about it is sound. Upgrades are needed...that is all.

The Ducks paid a $50M expansion fee.....just like the Florida Panthers did. However, the Panthers' $50M expansion fee went entirely to the league. The Ducks' $50M expansion fee saw $25M go to the league and $25M go to the Kings. Therefore.....the Ducks paid nothing more than the Panthers.....but encroached on the Kings' territory. The Kings were paid by the league....not the Ducks.

If you want to suggest the Ducks paid a territorial fee....then the Panthers paid one as well. I wonder who the Panthers paid $25M in territorial fees to?
So what if it was included in their expansion fee it was still paid to the Kings?

If Hamilton had applied for a team and 300 million of the 500 million expansion fee was paid to the Leafs and Sabres and Vegas paid no one then it would have been the same.

I was not calling Copps a relic BTW. A Relic is something worth having and it is becoming old and dated.

Put this into perspective if a NHL team moved there it would be the 15thh oldest venue in NA's 4 sports leagues behind:
Wrigley Field
Fenway Park
LA Coliseum (temp home of Rams)
Soldier Field
Lambeau Field
Madison Square Garden
Oakland Coliseum
Dodger Stadium
Superdome
Oracle Arena
Arrowhead Stadium
New Era Stadium
Kauffman Stadium
Angles Stadium

To think it is even close to any of these facilities is laughable. Even these have seen major upgrades in the past few years or are being replaced soon or the team is moving because of it.
I doubt any owner in his right mind would ever want to play out of it long term.


Last edited by Gnashville: 03-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
  #241
jason2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
just for fun, can you provide one credible source for this?
Toronto and Ottawa are spending a ton on trying to attract new company's and expand current ones to the level KW will have a huge issue competing with the money both of those are spending.

jason2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
  #242
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Toronto and Ottawa are spending a ton on trying to attract new company's and expand current ones to the level KW will have a huge issue competing with the money both of those are spending.
This is an opinion not a source Jason.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 11:00 AM
  #243
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Disney paid half of it's $50 million expansion fee to the Kings for territorial rights.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Ducks
Right. This is a seriously grey area in Canadian Law, black & white in the US where (Raiders/Al Davis case, 1982) paying indemnification fee's for "territorial intrusion" is illegal... unless waived, consent given by the incoming owner voluntarily as was the case with McMullen when he moved the Colorado Rockies to NJ, loophole created, rather than geo-indemnification called it "broadcast" paying the Islanders, Flyers & Rangers app $38M for intrusion on "broadcasting region".... Bruce McNall drowning in debt, up to his eyeballs and with a clear conflict of interest in being Chairman of the NHL Expansion & Relocation Committee at the time of the Expansion that brought Tampa & Anaheim into the league had 4X's approached Michael Eisner then head of Disney trying to get him to either buy an existing franchise & move it to SoCal or apply for Expansion.... thinking that he'd be able to monetize a Disney acquisition with an illegal territorial rights indemnification fee of $25M on top of the $50M Expansion Fee (or if he bought a club & moved them, $25M on top of whatever purchase price he'd have paid). Eisner flat out refusing to pay it, so instead, the league, the NHL agreeing to pay McNall 50% of the $50M Expansion Fee, the other clubs taking a major haircut in splitting $25M rather than the full $50M. McNall btw never sniffing the $25M as it went directly to some of his creditors.

That and the Rockies-Devils transaction are the only 2 examples of indemnification fee's being paid, McMullen doing so voluntarily as it was as much a vanity purchase as a business deal really. He just wanted a team in the NY region and was willing to pay whatever to get it so the League got creative, calling it a fee for broadcast rights & as the buyer wouldnt complain were able to get away with it. In the case of the Ducks, because it was marketing & broadcasting giant Disney, they accommodated Eisner who in fact did not pay any "territorial indemnification fee" to the Kings & McNall. The NHL itself doing so out of the proceeds of Anaheims Expansion Fee.... Eisner grew up in NY a Ranger fan, attended most Kings games when he move to LA, his sons played hockey, loves the game but a departure, big departure for Disney in getting into pro-sports ownership. First time ever the NHL permitted a club to name themselves after a "brand", in that case the movie franchise, pretty much gave them carte-blanche & really bent over backwards to have Disney sitting at the table. We could argue until the cows come home as to just how prudent any of this really was, Eisner eventually ousted in 2005, plans for ESPN Westcoast going sideways, acquisition of the California Angels etc. Giddy times, Gretzky in LA starting in 88, naming a franchise after a farcical kids movie, financial problems of that franchise & so on.

This now brings us to Balsillie, I know, one of your favorite subjects Gnash..... it was his contention (and its backed by Law in the US and would very likely be ruled illegal in Canada) that indemnification fee's are illegal & that as such neither Buffalo nor Toronto are entitled to anything. That yes, he was willing to respect the NHL Constitutions' "50 mile as the crow flys's" geo claim within reason, which in the case of Kitchener-Waterloo falls outside of it whereas in Hamilton theres a roughly 2 mile incursion into Toronto's geo-territory however thats arguable as the Constitution was framed in 1917 when Metropolitan Toronto's borders were nowhere near what they are today following growth & amalgamation through the 20th & early 21st centuries. He did realize, appreciate the fact that the NHL was/is an Old Boys Club and that if necessary he would be willing to negotiate a "reasonable fee" and pay it "voluntarily" however the NHL refused to even discuss it as in doing so was/is... illegal... and they didnt trust him.... If those negotiations had broken down, he wasnt going to be compliant & malleable like McMullen 20+ years earlier. He was more like Eisner. Not paying it. Different situation of course as Balsillie was looking to acquire a team & move them, Disney coming in clean through Expansion. They could circumvent the law with an Expansion Fee in divvying that up no problem but even then you just know that a considerable number of teams seriously ticked that a set price of $50M gets cut in half & there goes your payday. When Balsillie was initially wanting to get in, he was wanting to buy in by way of Expansion but the NHL wasnt interested in further Expansion and certainly not into Southern Ontario. MLSE had a real problem with it for one thing, Jeremy Jacobs, self appointed protector of Buffalo and with the Sabres having had & experiencing serious ownership problems for years having none of it. Balsillie couldnt get in clean through Expansion so he went Rogue. He knew following the Hamilton Predators debacle that he was done & over/out, however, he wasnt done with the NHL, wanted to expose their duplicitous & illegal activities, restrictive trade practices, the Coyotes & Moyes the perfect vehicle. He knew he stood no chance but then that wasnt really the agenda. So say what you will about the guy but he did manage to unmask the NHL, exposed them for what they are, threw a major scare into them. They dont play it straight, never have, and its the fans who suffer.


Last edited by Killion: 03-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
  #244
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Right. This is a seriously grey area in Canadian Law, black & white in the US where (Raiders/Al Davis case, 1982) paying indemnification fee's for "territorial intrusion" is illegal... unless waived, consent given by the incoming owner voluntarily as was the case with McMullen when he moved the Colorado Rockies to NJ, loophole created, rather than geo-indemnification called it "broadcast" paying the Islanders, Flyers & Rangers app $38M for intrusion on "broadcasting region".... Bruce McNall drowning in debt, up to his eyeballs and with a clear conflict of interest in being Chairman of the NHL Expansion & Relocation Committee at the time of the Expansion that brought Tampa & Anaheim into the league had 4X's approached Michael Eisner then head of Disney trying to get him to either buy an existing franchise & move it to SoCal or apply for Expansion.... thinking that he'd be able to monetize a Disney acquisition with an illegal territorial rights indemnification fee of $25M on top of the $50M Expansion Fee (or if he bought a club & moved them, $25M on top of whatever purchase price he'd have paid). Eisner flat out refusing to pay it, so instead, the league, the NHL agreeing to pay McNall 50% of the $50M Expansion Fee, the other clubs taking a major haircut in splitting $25M rather than the full $50M. McNall btw never sniffing the $25M as it went directly to some of his creditors.

That and the Rockies-Devils transaction are the only 2 examples of indemnification fee's being paid, McMullen doing so voluntarily as it was as much a vanity purchase as a business deal really. He just wanted a team in the NY region and was willing to pay whatever to get it so the League got creative, calling it a fee for broadcast rights & as the buyer wouldnt complain were able to get away with it. In the case of the Ducks, because it was marketing & broadcasting giant Disney, they accommodated Eisner who in fact did not pay any "territorial indemnification fee" to the Kings & McNall. The NHL itself doing so out of the proceeds of Anaheims Expansion Fee.... Eisner grew up in NY a Ranger fan, attended most Kings games when he move to LA, his sons played hockey, loves the game but a departure, big departure for Disney in getting into pro-sports ownership. First time ever the NHL permitted a club to name themselves after a "brand", in that case the movie franchise, pretty much gave them carte-blanche & really bent over backwards to have Disney sitting at the table. We could argue until the cows come home as to just how prudent any of this really was, Eisner eventually ousted in 2005, plans for ESPN Westcoast going sideways, acquisition of the California Angels etc. Giddy times, Gretzky in LA starting in 88, naming a franchise after a farcical kids movie, financial problems of that franchise & so on.

This now brings us to Balsillie, I know, one of your favorite subjects Gnash..... it was his contention (and its backed by Law in the US and would very likely be ruled illegal in Canada) that indemnification fee's are illegal & that as such neither Buffalo nor Toronto are entitled to anything. That yes, he was willing to respect the NHL Constitutions' "50 mile as the crow flys's" geo claim within reason, which in the case of Kitchener-Waterloo falls outside of it whereas in Hamilton theres a roughly 2 mile incursion into Toronto's geo-territory however thats arguable as the Constitution was framed in 1917 when Metropolitan Toronto's borders were nowhere near what they are today following growth & amalgamation through the 20th & early 21st centuries. He did realize, appreciate the fact that the NHL was/is an Old Boys Club and that if necessary he would be willing to negotiate a "reasonable fee" and pay it "voluntarily" however the NHL refused to even discuss it as in doing so was/is... illegal... and they didnt trust him.... If those negotiations had broken down, he wasnt going to be compliant & malleable like McMullen 20+ years earlier. He was more like Eisner. Not paying it. Different situation of course as Balsillie was looking to acquire a team & move them, Disney coming in clean through Expansion. They could circumvent the law with an Expansion Fee in divvying that up no problem but even then you just know that a considerable number of teams seriously ticked that a set price of $50M gets cut in half & there goes your payday. When Balsillie was initially wanting to get in, he was wanting to buy in by way of Expansion but the NHL wasnt interested in further Expansion and certainly not into Southern Ontario. MLSE had a real problem with it for one thing, Jeremy Jacobs, self appointed protector of Buffalo and with the Sabres having had & experiencing serious ownership problems for years having none of it. Balsillie couldnt get in clean through Expansion so he went Rogue. He knew following the Hamilton Predators debacle that he was done & over/out, however, he wasnt done with the NHL, wanted to expose their duplicitous & illegal activities, restrictive trade practices, the Coyotes & Moyes the perfect vehicle. He knew he stood no chance but then that wasnt really the agenda. So say what you will about the guy but he did manage to unmask the NHL, exposed them for what they are, threw a major scare into them. They dont play it straight, never have, and its the fans who suffer.
That's how all the major sports leagues operate. It's definitely not unique to the NHL.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
  #245
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
That's how all the major sports leagues operate. It's definitely not unique to the NHL.
Cartel's. Fashioned after the old Gangland Mob Rules. Territories. Never mind Elliot Ness, these guys are the Real Untouchable's. Supreme Court's in both the US & Canada loathe to step in. Like the cross-dressing J. Edgar Hoover who refused to admit organized crime even existed (they had pictures of J. Edgar, blackmailed the Evil Little Ponce, leave us alone or else). Unbelievable. Law unto themselves.


Last edited by Killion: 03-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
  #246
Gnashville
One and Done
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Cartel's. Fashioned after the old Gangland Mob Rules. Territories. Never mind Elliot Ness, these guys are the Real Untouchable's. Supreme Court's in both the US & Canada loathe to step in. Like the cross-dressing J. Edgar Hoover who refused to admit organized crime even existed (they had pictures of J. Edgar, blackmailed the Evil Little Ponce, leave us alone or else). Unbelievable. Law unto themselves.
But they are not criminals there is nothing unethical or illegal about them. Baseball has anti-trust exemption and the courts don't get involved! Balsillie was trying to bust up the system and even the CCB stated the league was not doing anything wrong. These are franchises and the league has the right to limit the number and locations. In a perfect supply/demand world Ontario would have 5 more teams, there would be 3 NFL teams in Alabama but it doesn't work like that and should not since all those teams would cannibalize each other and the sport would be a niche in 95% of North America and growth would be impossible. As I have stated several times some owners are not interested in making huge profits for themselves and are perfectly happy with the teams where they are. Why does everyone think every owner is like MLSE and only care about the bottom line. Owners that think that way are naturally attracted to larger and historically more successful markets because they don't have to spend any money to make money and just care about money. Very few owners are like that, and Balsillie would have been another MLSE since he wanted to get a team in Hamilton on the cheap and would have charged as much if not more than the Leafs.


Last edited by Gnashville: 03-23-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
  #247
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
But they are not criminals there is nothing unethical or illegal about them. Baseball has anti-trust exemption and the courts don't get involved! Balsillie was trying to bust up the system and even the CCB stated the league was not doing anything wrong.... Very few owners are like that, and Balsillie would have been another MLSE since he wanted to get a team in Hamilton on the cheap and would have charged as much if not more than the Leafs.
Not all team owners are unethical no, but more than enough bad apples to spoil the whole bushel. And sure, Balsillie was trying to bust up the monopoly enjoyed by MLSE in Southern Ontario, goes about it like Don Quixote. Ill conceived methodology there Rim-Jim. He did register a complaint with the CCB who investigated, though just who did the investigation... probably Sgt Preston of the Yukon or Dudley Dooright, not sure, but typical, "oh no, everythings fine here, no restrictive trade practices, monopoly going on whatsoever".... Then during the Moyes BK Case, Balsillies Pit Bull Richard Rodier produces a letter written by an MLSE Attorney to the NHL disputing the Leagues position that all thats required for a team to be located in another teams territory is a majority vote by the BOG's. According to the NHL Constitution it requires a 100% Majority vote and if even one team votes against it, its not going to happen. And so Gnash, MLSE would therefore exercise their veto vote.

Mid-90's knowing they were running legal jeopardy with the NHL Constitution on this matter, Bettman created a By-Law that only required a simple majority vote however, MLSE was not present at that meeting, did not vote, would not have voted that By-Law up, and, that a By-Law does not trump Constitutionally Guaranteed & Enshrined Rights. All spelled out in that letter and as it pre-dated the CCB's "investigation" of Balsillies original complaint, caught like the ineffective flat footed dopes that they are, kinda went "oh, oh my, yes, yes this throws a whole new light on things, we had noooooooo idea... No, no no this is not proper at all".... then proceeded to waddle away, go to sleep next to the fireplace again dreaming of their pensions, Freedom 55. To go after the NHL & MLSE when clearly Balsillie had no chance of acquiring a team, well, why bother?... And thats just the way things roll with the NHL. They get away with it. Caught with their pants down, no problem. Doors barred one way or another, by hook or by crook. Been going on since 1917. From Eddie Livingstone to Tommy Duggan & Bootlegger Billy Dwyer to Red Dutton to Jim Hendy to Ron Joyce to Jim Balsillie. 100 Years. Happy Anniversary.


Last edited by Killion: 03-23-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 09:07 PM
  #248
Hamilton Tigers
Registered User
 
Hamilton Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Making Hamilton's FirstOntario Centre 'NHL-ready' would cost $250M
Quote:
A new study pegs the cost of renovating the FirstOntario Centre to an "NHL-ready" point at $252 million, but city staff say there are other much more urgent budget issues to deal with instead.


http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...250m-1.4046406

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 09:11 PM
  #249
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Carr.187 Km9
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Who commissioned the study?

Is the city considering making some moves on a renovation after they address the more urgent issues?

__________________
You pressed You, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is You.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 09:20 PM
  #250
Hamilton Tigers
Registered User
 
Hamilton Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Who commissioned the study?

Is the city considering making some moves on a renovation after they address the more urgent issues?
Don’t renovate FirstOntario Centre: city staff
Quote:
That $250,000-renovation study, by international venue experts Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects (BBB), was commissioned in 2015 after local lawyer and consultant Jasper Kujavsky offered to drum up private sector cash to pay for the research.
Quote:
The city report does recommend allowing staff to continue studying the "future requirements of a sports and entertainment venue" in Hamilton and requests permission to conduct "due diligence" on any future unsolicited, private pitch to renovate the facility.

Kujavsky has already indicated he would like to continue working with the city to put together a business plan and assemble private-sector partners interested in a possible public-private partnership.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/72...re-city-staff/

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.