HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How does goaltending pre-1995 compare to today?

Old
03-18-2017, 12:16 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
^^^ Great pictures! Love the Favell paint job on that guys mask.... btw, do you know if its an original Ernie Higgins?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Crosbyfan

By far the biggest change is that the goalies no longer protect their head and neck. What used to be a liability is now an asset, used to block part of the net and allowing goalies to spread out and drop further in covering more of the 6' wide net. Along with this came taller goalies, much taller on average with greater wingspans, that had less of an advantage with the former standup/crouch style.

Compare the masks in greyraven8's post. With which would you feel safest down low in a butterfly or spread/kneeling stance, head below the crossbar? Even with the advent of the more modern masks, it took time for goalies to adapt to the degree that they became additional shot blockers as much as protection. They had been raised on masks with minimal padding in comparison.

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 03-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:01 AM
DisgruntledGoat*

I miss the days when a goaltender could actually be exciting to watch.

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:35 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
C'mon, of what interest is it to the NHL is it to make the sport exciting??

Clearly, you're not a real fan.

The Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:25 AM
greyraven8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Great pictures! Love the Favell paint job on that guys mask.... btw, do you know if its an original Ernie Higgins?
I'll have to ask him if he knows where he got his masks and/or where they were made next time I see him. Haven't seen him in a few weeks at hockey - his son fills in when he is working or otherwise unavailable and we only have 2 skates left.

He's got at least 3 masks - took a couple pics of one a few years ago:

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:44 AM
DisgruntledGoat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post

You're right, of course. How silly of me. The state of the game has never been better.

Gary keeps saying it so it must be true.

DisgruntledGoat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
By far the biggest change is that the goalies no longer protect their head and neck. What used to be a liability is now an asset, used to block part of the net and allowing goalies to spread out and drop further in covering more of the 6' wide net. Along with this came taller goalies, much taller on average with greater wingspans, that had less of an advantage with the former standup/crouch style.

Compare the masks in greyraven8's post. With which would you feel safest down low in a butterfly or spread/kneeling stance, head below the crossbar? Even with the advent of the more modern masks, it took time for goalies to adapt to the degree that they became additional shot blockers as much as protection. They had been raised on masks with minimal padding in comparison.
Oh yeah, size totally matters & has for years now. Even if your 6'0" thats considered on the smallish size & bulk as well, weight, thats a factor. Bean poles wont be going anywhere. Not unless their beyond exceptional & even then with the way the positions played, big skaters, risk of injury even a 6'0" 175lb goalie considered too light for the task at hand over the long haul so you'll sometimes see a lot of tandems, revolving doors in the crease. Problematical as a good goalie, when their younger, in their 20's, need to play a lot of games.

Quote:
... as an old goalie myself I dont really look at it quite that way. Goaltending evolved in reaction to the way the game was evolving through the late 70's, 80's & 90's, into the 00's & post Lockout. Yes its a far cry from what it was through the 50's, what the mid 60's to mid 70's was to the 50's & earlier; what it was from the mid 60's to mid 70's to the 90's & the last of the pure Stand-Up Goalies in Kirk McClean on up to today. Evolution to me really quite astounding. The whole approach to the position quite a bit different from my day day of the 60's & early 70's though of course what never changes is that your there to keep the puck out of the net. To do so in the most effective & efficient manner possible & to do so consistently. I dont really like to get down, get too heavy in criticisizing modern goalies (or skaters for that matter) as their products of the way the games played, taught. I do see some great saves, an over-abundance of "blocks" yes along with uncontrolled rebounds but then look at what they face? Full cycle game, behemoth players wielding composites. The whole game one of total puck movement, you just dont see guys carrying the puck, constant passing & weird off angle shots. Short shifts, guys absolutely flying out there, sprinters. Only way to play game thats unfolding in front of you, whay I term as Puckchenko... is deeper in the crease. What was once a "save selection" in the Butterfly now a full-time style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post

... ... its a problem, absolutely. big problem and no easy answer. though if you listen to the NHL and a lot of todays younger fans whove' never known anything else, games never been better, players never been better.... criticize, and your just an old guy shaking your fist at the clouds. some of the older generations of players have piped up about it, from rule changes to the way the games played today from amateur through to the pro's, whole system. Bobby Orr for example. but on the whole, no, not so much.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Hawksfan2828

You have to remember that goalies are mutants.... They have the lightest pads and they're the biggest people... It's really goofy.

At the rate GM's/coaches are going and their desires in goalies the first 300 lb player will probably be a 7 foot goalie with cat reflexes and their leg pads will probably be 5'5...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
It was a more exciting time for sure. The kick save, the save done purely on reflexes, etc. You saw that stuff far more often, it built character with the goalies, sort of gave them a personality so to speak. Hasek had this of course and really only Tim Thomas has had that since. There are glimpses from guys like Luongo or Fleury who can find ways of stopping the puck other than just sitting there like a lump on a log, but it's rare.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Canadiens1958

Pre 1995

Pre 1995 the goalies were more involved in the game, puck handling, setting the defensive transition, directing traffic, some were a third defenceman.

Today, mainly required to stop the puck efficiently, little or no rebounds, very little proactive activity getting the puck up ice.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:20 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

While goalies have gotten better with cutting down angles and such the truth is 20+ years ago you could describe a goalie's style and replicate it. You can't now. With the exception of someone like Tim Thomas, or Fleury today, there aren't a lot of goalies that stand out style wise. They all play the same boring style and they probably wouldn't have that effectiveness with that style if not for their massive equipment.
Since others have done a good job of comparing the technical aspects, I was going to post something based on this. The big difference for me is that goalies were more individualistic and FUN TO WATCH.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote