HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Old
03-18-2017, 04:26 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
What are the negatives or concerns about Suzuki, because he seems like someone who should be ranked higher than he is ? Can't imagine it is size as he is just shy of 6 foot.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
What are the negatives or concerns about Suzuki, because he seems like someone who should be ranked higher than he is ? Can't imagine it is size as he is just shy of 6 foot.
Believe it or not, he's considered small by many. He's also not very explosive. He's not slow by any means, however. I think he's a top 5 player in this draft. Won't go that high, however.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
TT1

vCash: 934
Suzuki's biggest problem for me is his acceleration. His skating doesn't worry me tho, too much talent and smarts.

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Pompeius Magnus

Honestly, I've never found Suzuki to be slow or sluggish at all. On a technical level his skating is actually quite good. He's still very skinny, his acceleration will be a lot better once he gains a little muscle mass. He's a bit like Giroux was at the same age.

Pompeius Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Believe it or not, he's considered small by many. He's also not very explosive. He's not slow by any means, however. I think he's a top 5 player in this draft. Won't go that high, however.
Thanks for this. Though he is ranked where we will be picking, he just seems too good to fall to that 17-23 range. Might be a guy to move up for, and we do have 2 2nds. Who knows if Habs are interested though. We don't seem to use our 1st picks on Centers, LOL.

Old
03-18-2017, 11:45 PM
foxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Robertson has skating issues, but mostly comes from needing to get stronger..his stride is fine..Gadjovich is just a flat out poor skater and doesn't project to improve much..may not go in the top two rounds while Robertson could well go top 30. Gad plays with perhaps the best playmaker in the OHL in Suzuki..Robertson is a one-man show..and has a terrific..I mean terrific..shot..while Gad's goals are mostly garbage goals, rebounds and open nets after Suzuki setups. He can shoot it..but not like Rbertson.who is also a terrific passer and puck possessor. Robertson scored 24 per cent of Kingston's goals. That's unheard of. McDvid score 13 per cent of Erie's goals....Crosby scored less than 20 per cent on Rimouski's. Robertson is the real deal..and guaranteed he's going before Gadjovich.

You don't see him having the same upside as shaw? Shaw has a fifth of the talent/skill Hepo has..Shaw doesn't project as an NHL prospect..certainly no comparison to Heponiemi..same with Olson..if you're 5-10 you better have dynamic skating and puck skills..that's not Olson either...scouts aren't looking at him in the top 60 at all. Hepo may already be the best playmaker in the WHL..and his edge work blows away the other two.
What do you think about Yamamoto, particularly in relation to Heponiemi?

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:18 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Veleno was incredible last night, calm with the puck, silky mitts, doesn't have a hard shot but has a tricky release and great accuracy. Scored a goal on the PP with a well placed shot low and inside the post. Followed it up the next shift with a Kuznetsov assist from behind the net. Very creative forward. He's not overly big though, so he will need to continue to dominate with the puck on his stick like he did.

McIsaac was also impressive. He has a weird hunched skating style, looks like he is stiff in the hips and lower back, that will need to be fixed as he grows, since it made him handling the puck strange from time to time. However, his lateral quickness is great, he was calm, had a couple good rushes, was smart with his body positioning and his stick.

Hischier was getting abused all night, still generated a lot. He had 2 assists (goal called off for being off-side), he demonstrated his heads up play, great vision, the puck found him all night, his skating is beautiful, cut through players and made big plays with no space at all. Definitely my top rated prospect for this draft, where it is weak at the top.

Groulx was invisible, didn't know he was playing until the end.

Durandeau was small, showed some good hands, but very disappointing for a top pick in the Q league like he was.

Gravel played a great game in net. Read the play well, got in front of the puck, very vocal. His glove hand needs some work, he would battle off pucks but not catch them cleanly. Needs to work on his lateral mechanics, he would load up his push skate too high which caused him to 'jump' into his movements, creating a hitch which allowed Veleno the time to put the puck in the net.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Veleno was incredible last night, calm with the puck, silky mitts, doesn't have a hard shot but has a tricky release and great accuracy. Scored a goal on the PP with a well placed shot low and inside the post. Followed it up the next shift with a Kuznetsov assist from behind the net. Very creative forward. He's not overly big though, so he will need to continue to dominate with the puck on his stick like he did.

McIsaac was also impressive. He has a weird hunched skating style, looks like he is stiff in the hips and lower back, that will need to be fixed as he grows, since it made him handling the puck strange from time to time. However, his lateral quickness is great, he was calm, had a couple good rushes, was smart with his body positioning and his stick.

Hischier was getting abused all night, still generated a lot. He had 2 assists (goal called off for being off-side), he demonstrated his heads up play, great vision, the puck found him all night, his skating is beautiful, cut through players and made big plays with no space at all. Definitely my top rated prospect for this draft, where it is weak at the top.

Groulx was invisible, didn't know he was playing until the end.

Durandeau was small, showed some good hands, but very disappointing for a top pick in the Q league like he was.

Gravel played a great game in net. Read the play well, got in front of the puck, very vocal. His glove hand needs some work, he would battle off pucks but not catch them cleanly. Needs to work on his lateral mechanics, he would load up his push skate too high which caused him to 'jump' into his movements, creating a hitch which allowed Veleno the time to put the puck in the net.
Cool, thanks for the report. Good to hear about Veleno. Been a few people who reported he had a very good game yesterday. Glad he has healed from the injury.

Unfortunate for Groulx but he's been very hit and miss this season. He has made some very good plays at times but was also invisible for long stretches. I still think he has the skills to be a top 15-20 prospect next year but like most 16 year olds, he'll have to show a good deal of improvement.

Again Halifax will be a team to follow next year. Excited to see how McIsaac and Gravel turn out.

btw, next year should be a very good crop for the Q. You have Veleno, MacDonald, McIsaac, Bouchard, Dobson, Groulx and Gravel who have all shown 1st round potential. After that there's a few players who could make a push like Mandolese, Fortier, St-Laurent and Rodrigue. The year after that we'll have a few extremely promising players in Poulain, Parent, Pelletier and Da Silva and then the year after that, Lafrenière.

Last edited by Mathletic: 03-19-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old
03-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Midwest Hockey Nut

Quote:
Robertson has skating issues, but mostly comes from needing to get stronger..his stride is fine..Gadjovich is just a flat out poor skater and doesn't project to improve much..may not go in the top two rounds while Robertson could well go top 30. Gad plays with perhaps the best playmaker in the OHL in Suzuki..Robertson is a one-man show..and has a terrific..I mean terrific..shot..while Gad's goals are mostly garbage goals, rebounds and open nets after Suzuki setups. He can shoot it..but not like Rbertson.who is also a terrific passer and puck possessor. Robertson scored 24 per cent of Kingston's goals. That's unheard of. McDvid score 13 per cent of Erie's goals....Crosby scored less than 20 per cent on Rimouski's. Robertson is the real deal..and guaranteed he's going before Gadjovich.

You don't see him having the same upside as shaw? Shaw has a fifth of the talent/skill Hepo has..Shaw doesn't project as an NHL prospect..certainly no comparison to Heponiemi..same with Olson..if you're 5-10 you better have dynamic skating and puck skills..that's not Olson either...scouts aren't looking at him in the top 60 at all. Hepo may already be the best playmaker in the WHL..and his edge work blows away the other two.
Interesting perspective, I have watched quite a few games from the west and what will stand out to me is the playoff run. I think Shaw and Hempi are different players from there style of play,but what no one can deny they both put up points. Shaw is more physical and can play in the tough areas of the game as well as play make. Hempi is a slightly better skater. What I like about both players and Suzuki is the way they see the game. Olson is intelligent as well, talking this group in particular, and that makes them special. What are your thoughts on Malm fron Vancover he is a great player and going to just get better.

Midwest Hockey Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I am a big fan of Necas. He will be a very good two-way player at the NHL level.
If Necas is available in the 15 above range the Habs should be trading up to land him, same with Suzuki, IMHO.

Quote:

Robertson sounds like a safe pick, with great promise as a RW - PWF in the Top Six, skating is fixable, especially with the talents he has naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Size is a drawback, if his skating isn't impressive, if he has the needed work ethic, both size & skating can be improved dramatically. Tavares is a very good example of what a player can accomplish given the desire to be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
Honestly, I've never found Suzuki to be slow or sluggish at all. On a technical level his skating is actually quite good. He's still very skinny, his acceleration will be a lot better once he gains a little muscle mass. He's a bit like Giroux was at the same age.
If the Habs can move into the Top Fifteen, which should be doable in a weak draft, Suzuki could be just the player needed as a 2nd line center behind Galchenyuk, in a couple of yrs.

Quote:
He's a future shut down center type. He plays the game hard and he's one of the better faceoff man in the whole league. His offense developed a lot this year but I don't think he'll be a big contributor at the next level. He's very north/south with the puck, not the most imaginative guy around.
Zach Gallant(C) is another good pick for the Habs to consider with two 2nd round picks in 2017.

Quote:
He's really come on since December. offensively....gritty, good on faceoffs, but also has some puck skills. Strong skater, good size..looks like a future NHL third-line center who can score a few goals. I would imagine he's in the 50-70 range on a lot of lists.
Loading the Habs prospect list with some centerman in a weak draft, seems logical, depends upon whose available, Zach Gallant could be that BPA where they pick in the 2nd round.

Quote:
Half decent lists. I'd have Robertson 5th in the OHL..and Heponiemi fifth or sixth in the WHL..that's a little high for Olson and Strome.

I interviewed Heponiemi's coach yesterday...he's smitten with the young Tinn..as I figured he'd be. the kid is a sensational playmaker and talent. I wrote a story about it on my site folks are welcome to read. Cheers.
Heponiemi is another good center choice, as are Chemelevski, Schnarr, & Ruzicka, the Habs might try picking up a couple more earlier 2nd round picks, to build huge depth at center like they always had in their dynasty years. Now that the Habs have rebuilt their farm system, since Bergevin became GM he has stayed firm in his resolve to build through the draft. Whilst signing many free agents, Radulov & Byron off the top, come to mind. Finally the farm team is able to compete for the Calder Cup, Laval fans are truly going to enjoy their new team/arena, with a strong AHL team with many high draft picks that will become NHLers with the Habs, IMHO!!!...

Go Habs/IceCaps/Rockets Go!!!... As a lifelong Habs fan it's a pleasure to be able to say these things about our franchise once again.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:50 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
As much as the team needs forwards, I'd still like them to take a defenceman in the 2nd round. There's really only 3 in the pipeline to write home about and there have been gems found in the 2nd due to longer development time.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Pompeius Magnus

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-...chier-1.702428

Craig Button's latest ranking is out.

Old
03-21-2017, 06:03 PM
TT1

Wow Necas at 3, i have him high too (#8) but not THAT high..

Owen Tippett at 20 has to be a joke.. and P-O Joseph in the top 20? Hague at 55?

Last edited by TT1: 03-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old
03-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
Wow Necas at 3, i have him high too but not THAT high..

Owen Tippett at 20 has to be a joke.. and P-O Joseph in the top 20?
Button likes to make a few bold statements on his lists. You always have to take him with a grain of salt.

Old
03-21-2017, 06:10 PM
TT1

Quote:
Button likes to make a few bold statements on his lists. You always have to take him with a grain of salt.
Yup but those are the wrong players to make statements with (well Necas i can understand because im a fan of his aswell), Tippett at worse is a top 5 caliber player in this years draft (i personally have him at #3).

Old
03-21-2017, 06:16 PM
The Great Pateryn
Protect Da Deficit

vCash: 457
I would be very happy with Lind.

The Great Pateryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Yup but those are the wrong players to make statements with (well Necas i can understand because im a fan of his aswell), Tippett at worse is a top 5 caliber player in this years draft (i personally have him at #3).
Tippett is a hard one to figure out. He will go high but he has the Virtanen vibe when it comes to hockey sense. He could be Bill Guerin or he could be Virtanen. Button was very low on Virtanen, as well.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:03 PM
TT1

Quote:
Tippett is a hard one to figure out. He will go high but he has the Virtanen vibe when it comes to hockey sense. He could be Bill Guerin or he could be Virtanen. Button was very low on Virtanen, as well.
Tippett's offensive abilities are on another level than Virtanen's. His shot and speed are very high end and he's gotten quite good in all 3 zones. His defensive play used to be an issue but he's looked really good this season.

Also Tippett is a talented offensive player like Kessel/Gaborik, nothing similar to Virtanen. You think Galchenyuk/Ovi/Tarasenko/Stamkos were drafted for their hockey IQ? If you think Tippett is a power forward.. he's not (i.e: Virtanen/E. Kane/Guerin etc.).

The same things were also said about Mantha in his draft year, look at him now. Mr. high hockey IQ Curtis Lazar was picked ahead of him.

Last edited by TT1: 03-22-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old
03-22-2017, 05:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Tippett's offensive abilities are on another level than Virtanen's. His shot and speed are very high end and he's gotten quite good in all 3 zones. His defensive play used to be an issue but he's looked really good this season.

Also Tippett is a talented offensive player like Kessel/Gaborik, nothing similar to Virtanen. You think Galchenyuk/Ovi/Tarasenko/Stamkos were drafted for their hockey IQ? If you think Tippett is a power forward.. he's not (i.e: Virtanen/E. Kane/Guerin etc.).

The same things were also said about Mantha in his draft year, look at him now. Mr. high hockey IQ Curtis Lazar was picked ahead of him.
Too soon to say Mantha is anything yet, just cause he lights up the Habs as most local kids do when they play them.

I'm just saying from Buttons perspective, he had Virtanen low and there are similar concerns re: hockey sense with Tippett, so I can see why he doesn't have him rated highly. You learn scouts tendencies after awhile.

I have never seen Virtanen dominate like I did when I watched Tippett at a junior challenge last year.

Old
03-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Too soon to say Mantha is anything yet, just cause he lights up the Habs as most local kids do when they play them.

I'm just saying from Buttons perspective, he had Virtanen low and there are similar concerns re: hockey sense with Tippett, so I can see why he doesn't have him rated highly. You learn scouts tendencies after awhile.

I have never seen Virtanen dominate like I did when I watched Tippett at a junior challenge last year.
I know you were not a fan but Mantha has done more than just light up the Habs as most local kids. He's top-30, among forwards, in 5v5 scoring. Wings fans have been very happy with his overall effort and impressed by his defensive game, more often than not. The skill is there and he's already a very decent player. Remains to be seen how good he'll be but IMO he's way passed the possibility of busting.

Old
03-22-2017, 08:04 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I know you were not a fan but Mantha has done more than just light up the Habs as most local kids. He's top-30, among forwards, in 5v5 scoring. Wings fans have been very happy with his overall effort and impressed by his defensive game, more often than not. The skill is there and he's already a very decent player. Remains to be seen how good he'll be but IMO he's way passed the possibility of busting.
The likely question to be determined with Mantha is whether he can be consistent enough to be 1st line , or just a top 6.

Old
Yesterday, 04:01 AM
BrimStone64

Can't find Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings. I mean video he does on tv

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Hey folks...done a pile of scouting this season..more than ever now that I'm running my own scouting website...that's usually the way it is..work twice as hard when you're self-employed.

Anyway - I have a pretty good handle on the draft and who NHL teams like and dislike for the most part...been fortunate enough to get plenty of input from several NHL scouts this season as they are trying to support my new venture, being friends and all.

I'm free to answer a few questions today if anyone has some about the draft -

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:59 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Hey folks...done a pile of scouting this season..more than ever now that I'm running my own scouting website...that's usually the way it is..work twice as hard when you're self-employed.

Anyway - I have a pretty good handle on the draft and who NHL teams like and dislike for the most part...been fortunate enough to get plenty of input from several NHL scouts this season as they are trying to support my new venture, being friends and all.

I'll bite

1 - Why the scattered rankings on Pettersson? With your finger on the pulse where do you think he currently fits in the framework of the first round.

2 - do you think the Habs have an eye toward their forward pool this draft due to the lack of emerging talent there?

3 - Are there any later round centers you feel that have warts but may develop into a top 6 center at the next level.

Old
Yesterday, 01:13 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Urho Vaakanainen. I moved from Finland and thus haven't had a chance to see him play. Has he showed signs of development this year? This is his second year in SM-Liiga and his production doesn't seem to have improved. What's your take on him?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote