HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I just got accepted at the university of Montreal !

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

vCash: 500
I have fond memories of Ecole Polytechnique and U de M. Your girlfriend would be right to throw a hissy fit. The distance notwithstanding, U de M. has much to choose from, if ya know what I mean. That said, I also have vividly bad memories of Poly, including Dec. 6, 1989, and a nasty thesis advisor, as nasty as nasty gets.

As for McGill, it also stakes its reputation on graduate education: Masters and Ph.Ds, as well as publications. Whether Concordia likes it or not, McGill publishes like crazy and has many influential researchers teaching there.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Douglas is a little under 8 thousand, and the new hotel residence is a little over 10 thousand(by little I mean maybe 200$)
Damn ! That's expensive. Looks like I'll be staying at home with my parents.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:40 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller
Damn ! That's expensive. Looks like I'll be staying at home with my parents.
Yeah it is, but it's really my only choice, realistically I can't commute from NJ When I get in Montreal we should meet up for fun.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Razorblade

You're from Kitchener and you're not going to the best University there is, which happens to be outside your back door? lol but seriously, UW Rocks man, except for the small lack of the opposite sex, but that is made up for down the road at Laurier. But, going to school in Montreal would be awesome, have fun!

Old
04-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Yeah it is, but it's really my only choice, realistically I can't commute from NJ When I get in Montreal we should meet up for fun.
Yeah, no doubt. I'm sure you'll have a blast living in residence.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Laurentides

Its the university thread....nice cause ive been accepted recently at Ottawa University for next year. Whats good is that they credited me one full year so ill do my bac in 2 years. I'm also going there to play for the Ottawa Gee Gee's football team.....Go GEE GEES

Old
04-27-2004, 05:54 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides
Its the university thread....nice cause ive been accepted recently at Ottawa University for next year. Whats good is that they credited me one full year so ill do my bac in 2 years. I'm also going there to play for the Ottawa Gee Gee's football team.....Go GEE GEES
I applied there too, but never got an aswer. Oh well I guess it doesn't really matter anyway now since I've paid all my deposits for McGill.

Out of the vniversities I visited, Uottawa seemed to be the most student-friendly. Have fun there!

Old
04-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Lewis63

While all of you are starting, I'm finishing my degree...real world here i come!

People used to tell me "school is the best time of your life", so keep that in mind during the next 2-3-4 years ok?

Who cares about grades unless you need scolarships or a good GPA for a masters...Just have fun!

Old
04-27-2004, 07:38 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Maybe they are as good as McGill, but what is really important to me is McGill's international reputation. I plan on doing an MBA at McGill and I know their MBAs are very well recognised.
good luck in anything you do, but just to tell, I think that a study was done by an International organism and ConU was placed way ahead of Mcgill in the MBA program. Check the Conu website you will see it.

Old
04-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

You cant beat Sherbrooke University guys!!!

Computer Science!

Old
04-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Erngueva

I've been accepted at UDM too. I'm going in Economie Politique.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
I applied there too, but never got an aswer. Oh well I guess it doesn't really matter anyway now since I've paid all my deposits for McGill.

Out of the vniversities I visited, Uottawa seemed to be the most student-friendly. Have fun there!
It's a cool place... I'll try and do my Masters there since I live 15 min from there.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Wildbeliefs

For all you people starting Univeristy, I just have one piece of advice for you: enjoy it. I'm not talking about only parties, but about everything: there are a lot of very interesting extracurricular activities, seminars, summer projects, etc, available out there.

This was my last Undergrad semester at Concordia in Computer Science / Pscyhology, and my one regret was that I spent too many semesters just going to class and hanging out with friends. It's only this past year that I realized just how much Universities have to offer...

Last edited by Wildbeliefs: 04-27-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old
04-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Guy!

Congrats Oli - and to all the others going to school.

At the venerable old age of 32 I decided it was time to go back for some unfinished business. Well, that's not entirely true, I've come to a point in life where I *want* to learn, rather than being forced to do it. So, in that vein, I'm taking Distance Ed courses from UWaterloo. Just finished my first one and I'm looking forward to seeing what my final mark is - I should find out in a couple of weeks.

My goals aren't as lofty as the Poli-Sci's and the Science and Psychology diploma's you'll all attain. While I'm not quite decided for sure on a path, my outline thus far has me working for a Philosophy degree. Particularly pleasing since I can then look at someone who bothers me and say things like: "Neither matter nor form comes to be," and enjoy the blank looks people will give me.

For all those going to university, my first Smithwick's before the game tonight will be raised to you.

ACF

Old
04-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!

"Neither matter nor form comes to be,"
ACF
Huh ?

Like that?

Old
04-27-2004, 10:40 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
For all you people starting Univeristy, I just have one piece of advice for you: enjoy it. I'm not talking about only parties, but about everything: there are a lot of very interesting extracurricular activities, seminars, summer projects, etc, available out there.

This was my last Undergrad semester at Concordia in Computer Science / Pscyhology, and my one regret was that I spent too many semesters just going to class and hanging out with friends. It's only this past year that I realized just how much Universities have to offer...
I spent a short time at Concordia some years ago and found it a tough place to soak up a university atmosphere. My daughter is in her 3rd year and claims the same. She loves the city and ALL it has to offer but finds Con U just to be some buildings that she has classes in.

Old
04-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I spent a short time at Concordia some years ago and found it a tough place to soak up a university atmosphere. My daughter is in her 3rd year and claims the same. She loves the city and ALL it has to offer but finds Con U just to be some buildings that she has classes in.
I will agree with you on that; Concordia makes it easy to just go to class. What I've learned from my experience there though is that if you put in any amount of effort more than the minimum, you will find a ton of activities. But that really is the catch: you can't sit back and expect ConU to offer all these things to you, you have to go and get them.

For example, if you're really passionate about a certain topic, you can go speak to teachers in that field and they can give you great advice, set up a summer internship or research, or even let you sit in on a Graduate class. Basically, I was amazed at how much more you can get out of a University if you show interest in it.

Old
04-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
I've been accepted at UDM too. I'm going in Economie Politique.
Cool, is that the bidisciplinary programme ? I was thinking of doing that. A girl in my CEGEP class is going to do that.

Old
04-27-2004, 01:14 PM
theo6060

Congratulations man! Probably the best letter to get eh? When I got my acceptance for a school here it was one of the happiest days I had had in years. Congrats again and have fun next year!

Old
04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Is Concordia considered as respectable as McGill?

Old
04-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Is Concordia considered as respectable as McGill?
Well it all depends on what program and who is hireing. Overall, McGill is still riding on it's reputation but is still a great university. Concordia is gaining ground but will never get the same recognition as McGill.

But who cares where you've done your degree. If after your degree your looking for a job and this HR person is from the same school then you gain an advantage.

Well that's how it works out most of the time...

If your studying medecine at concordia well...McGill would be better, anything to do with computers and social sciences I would opt for Concordia. Pures sciences would be Mcgill unless I'm mistaken

Well this info is from a guy that attended neither of these universities but heard alot from each...

Go Carabin Go!!!

Closed Thread