HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Kharlamov - Petrov - Mikhailov

Old
03-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Kharlamov - Petrov - Mikhailov

We all know about the KLM-line, but how good was this line?

Could all 3 of them play in NHL? What where their styles?

Who was the Fetisov, Kasatonov and Tretiak on this line?

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:29 AM
MaxV

No question that not only could they play in NHL, but star also.

You can make a case that individually they were better then KLM, but didn't benefit from having great support from blueline like the Green Unit.

Tretiak played with them for a number of years so it's the same as Green Unit, but less of continuity with defense.

I believe defender that they played the most with is Lutchenko, as he was a regular both at CSKA and NT. Gusev was also CSKA and NT. Vasiliev was the top defender during their time, but he only played with them on the NT, as he was Dinamo player.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:29 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
We all know about the KLM-line, but how good was this line?
Considering that Mikhailov, Kharlamov and Petrov are the 1st, 2nd and 4th best scorers, respectively, in the World Championship history, I'd say they were pretty darn good. Petrov and Mikhailov are also among the top 3 scorers in the Soviet league history (with Makarov), I think.

Unfortunately, they didn't play together as a forward line in the 1972 Summit Series and none of them played in the 1976 Canada Cup, and that probably hurts their reputation, so to speak, in North America a bit.

Quote:
Could all 3 of them play in NHL? What where their styles?
Well, duh, of course. Just like any Soviet star of the 1970s. Or any regular on the Soviet national team in the 1970s.

I'd say that Mikhailov was the goal-scorer AND, although skilled, the grinder of the line. He would battle with defencemen in front of the net, often scoring with rebounds or deflections. Battled also in the corners/along the boards, trying to win the puck back to his team(s). Was good at many things.
Petrov was a big and strong centerman and I'd say defensively the most responsible of the three (also because of his position). He had a big slapshot, so he was a scoring threat also, and from the blueline too (unlike Mikhailov). Usually, rather than trying to make great solo plays, he would be looking for to set up his wingers. A very good passer. And while not a virtuoso by any means, he was a terrific stickhandler also.
Kharlamov was the magician and easily the most exciting player of the three. When you watch some old clips, you often see Petrov (and sometimes Mikhailov) making those long passes to Kharlamov who - in full flight - would try and often succeed in beating a defenceman 1-on-1 and so getting a great scoring chance. Was a very good playmaker too. Until 1976 (when he had his first bad car accident), I think he was definitely the best player of the line.

Quote:
Who was the Fetisov, Kasatonov and Tretiak on this line?
I don't quite understand this question, but on the national team, Tretiak was mostly (from the 1971-72 season on) the goalie behind them (before that it was Konovalenko), and Vasiliev and Gusev, or Vasiliev and Lutchenko were mostly their defencemen. But in the 1978 World Championship, for example, their dmen were young Fetisov and Tsygankov.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:01 AM
MaxV

Did they play with Konovalenko as a line? Individually, sure, but I think by the time they were formed Konovalenko was no longer NT #1.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Did they play with Konovalenko as a line? Individually, sure, but I think by the time they were formed Konovalenko was no longer NT #1.
The line was formed (by Tarasov) already in 1968/69, so the answer is: most definitely.

Konovalenko was the starting goalie on the national team until the 1971 Izvestia tournament, I think. (The 2-4 loss to Finland in the tournament is often mentioned as the moment when Tretiak finally replaced him. At least so the story goes in Finland.)

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote