HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Plekanec - Hope He Heats Up Soon Edition (HE SLEEPIN)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2017, 04:02 PM
  #901
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,384
vCash: 500
Please please please Tomas win a faceoff ffs.

Rapala is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:02 PM
  #902
Adam Michaels
Registered User
 
Adam Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGuru View Post
Plekanec should have not been prematurely extended in the first place and traded at last years deadline for a decent return. Your argument makes zero sense because Plekanec was untradable in the off season with that contract. It was never a matter of Eller or Plek.
MB could have kept Eller and still aquired Shaw.
It's just a series of absolutely stupid moves by MB.
No, it was never a matter of Eller or Plek. It was a matter of Eller or Danault. And MB made the smart move.

But since you're the one so keen to make it about Eller or Plek, well I already told you the reason why Eller went and not Plek. He got the better return.

Adam Michaels is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:05 PM
  #903
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,159
vCash: 500
Only in this thread will you see it argued that keeping a lesser player in order to afford enough to add an even LESSER player on top makes your team more competitive. He hasn't gotten in the way of building the team we have today, and he won't be in the way of the team we build tomorrow. But I get the OCD for "efficiency", I do.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:10 PM
  #904
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
And he got the better return between he, Plekanec, and DD.

Oh yea, and Danault made him expendable.
There's no way that MB could've known this.

Please raise your hand if you thought he'd be able to take the the 3rd line center role. There was tons of discussion on this before the season began and zero people mentioned Dannault as a solution.

I'm okay with Eller being gone, esp with Dannault here. But let's not pretend like it was done for reasons other than to satisfy MT.

As for Plekanec, he's been the biggest disappointment on the team. I was really hoping for a bounce back for him but he's an offensive black hole now. And that would be fine except he makes way too much money to be producing so little.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:13 PM
  #905
Adam Michaels
Registered User
 
Adam Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's no way that MB could've known this.

Please raise your hand if you thought he'd be able to take the the 3rd line center role. There was tons of discussion on this before the season began and zero people mentioned Dannault as a solution.

I'm okay with Eller being gone, esp with Dannault here. But let's not pretend like it was done for reasons other than to satisfy MT.

As for Plekanec, he's been the biggest disappointment on the team. I was really hoping for a bounce back for him but he's an offensive black hole now. And that would be fine except he makes way too much money to be producing so little.
How are you so sure MB couldn't have known this? Because you couldn't? You might not have seen it. But management did. It doesn't matter if fans realize something or not.

Adam Michaels is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:20 PM
  #906
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 17,631
vCash: 612
I find it difficult to be mad at him. The guy has done so much for this organization, barely ever misses time, been asked to play hard minutes and been asked to be an offensive leader. He's had a great career as a Hab and it's no surprise that he's just not as effective anymore. You can't blame him however, blame the GMs that couldn't find more centres to actually help him do everything he was asked to do.

And it's not just the Habs either. His country asks him to do the same thing and he never turns them down. He's played a lot of hockey for a guy his age.

He's essentially been Koivu-life for this organization.

le_sean is online now  
Old
03-19-2017, 04:23 PM
  #907
Belial
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,762
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
How are you so sure MB couldn't have known this? Because you couldn't? You might not have seen it. But management did. It doesn't matter if fans realize something or not.
Not to mention that Bergevin said it himself that Danault made Eller expendable...

Belial is online now  
Old
03-19-2017, 06:30 PM
  #908
Naslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I find it difficult to be mad at him. The guy has done so much for this organization, barely ever misses time, been asked to play hard minutes and been asked to be an offensive leader. He's had a great career as a Hab and it's no surprise that he's just not as effective anymore. You can't blame him however, blame the GMs that couldn't find more centres to actually help him do everything he was asked to do.

And it's not just the Habs either. His country asks him to do the same thing and he never turns them down. He's played a lot of hockey for a guy his age.

He's essentially been Koivu-life for this organization.
Plekanec is the anti-Koivu. Playoffs always made Koivu raise his already amazing play. Not so much with Plekanec. Pleks owes much of his career to Kovalev for playing great in the late 2000s. He was then always given opportunities because we had nobody else who could play at center.

Naslund is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 06:48 PM
  #909
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22,409
vCash: 300
He's red-hot. Can we extend him?

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-19-2017, 07:18 PM
  #910
Naslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I find it difficult to be mad at him. The guy has done so much for this organization, barely ever misses time, been asked to play hard minutes and been asked to be an offensive leader. He's had a great career as a Hab and it's no surprise that he's just not as effective anymore. You can't blame him however, blame the GMs that couldn't find more centres to actually help him do everything he was asked to do.

And it's not just the Habs either. His country asks him to do the same thing and he never turns them down. He's played a lot of hockey for a guy his age.

He's essentially been Koivu-life for this organization.
Plekanec is the anti-Koivu. Playoffs always made Koivu raise his already amazing play. Not so much with Plekanec. Pleks owes much of his career to Kovalev for playing great in the late 2000s. He was then always given opportunities because we had nobody else who could play at center.

Naslund is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 08:34 AM
  #911
PaulD
Registered User
 
PaulD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There's no way that MB could've known this.

Please raise your hand if you thought he'd be able to take the the 3rd line center role. There was tons of discussion on this before the season began and zero people mentioned Dannault as a solution.

I'm okay with Eller being gone, esp with Dannault here. But let's not pretend like it was done for reasons other than to satisfy MT.

As for Plekanec, he's been the biggest disappointment on the team. I was really hoping for a bounce back for him but he's an offensive black hole now. And that would be fine except he makes way too much money to be producing so little.
Exactly. Eller was Therriens annual summer move.

MB did not know or plan for Danault to take over for Eler.

Therrien only found out how he could play when DD and Chucky went down at same time.


Last edited by PaulD: 03-20-2017 at 08:43 AM.
PaulD is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
  #912
PaulD
Registered User
 
PaulD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I find it difficult to be mad at him. The guy has done so much for this organization, barely ever misses time, been asked to play hard minutes and been asked to be an offensive leader. He's had a great career as a Hab and it's no surprise that he's just not as effective anymore. You can't blame him however, blame the GMs that couldn't find more centres to actually help him do everything he was asked to do.

And it's not just the Habs either. His country asks him to do the same thing and he never turns them down. He's played a lot of hockey for a guy his age.

He's essentially been Koivu-life for this organization.
Notice you left out play offs.

Who cares that he played for his country.

Dont have to be "mad at him" to cut him.

Play the violin for him all you want. He is being carried for now and is no longer worthy of the position he holds.

But that is the state of the team for quite sometime now. He is lousy (plain and simple) however so are the centers playing

under him and on the farm.


Last edited by PaulD: 03-20-2017 at 08:52 AM.
PaulD is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 08:42 AM
  #913
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naslund View Post
Plekanec is the anti-Koivu. Playoffs always made Koivu raise his already amazing play. Not so much with Plekanec. Pleks owes much of his career to Kovalev for playing great in the late 2000s. He was then always given opportunities because we had nobody else who could play at center.
What? Plekanec put up his career high of 70 points the year after Kovalev left...

He was given opportunities because he deserved them. He played well in the AHL, then started in the NHL on the fourth line and played his way up to a top six role.

Respeck is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 09:30 AM
  #914
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22,409
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
What? Plekanec put up his career high of 70 points the year after Kovalev left...

He was given opportunities because he deserved them. He played well in the AHL, then started in the NHL on the fourth line and played his way up to a top six role.
Wasn't that with a red-hot Cammalleri?

It's okay, Pleks has played a lot of hockey and had a decent career. I don't think his recent performances erase his experience as a Hab but I also don't think he's earned the honour of retiring a Hab for the very reason. He was brutal last year, and is brutal this year. No heart, no effort left in him. If it's over, it's over - but he shouldn't retire a Hab. Maybe I'm saying it out of spite, I dunno.

If he's going to be a defensive-only player, I hope to god he plays better. In recent games he's been bad going both ways.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
  #915
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Wasn't that with a red-hot Cammalleri?

It's okay, Pleks has played a lot of hockey and had a decent career. I don't think his recent performances erase his experience as a Hab but I also don't think he's earned the honour of retiring a Hab for the very reason. He was brutal last year, and is brutal this year. No heart, no effort left in him. If it's over, it's over - but he shouldn't retire a Hab. Maybe I'm saying it out of spite, I dunno.

If he's going to be a defensive-only player, I hope to god he plays better. In recent games he's been bad going both ways.
Actually, in the most recent games he has been very solid both ways. Helped win the board battle that allowed Markov's pass to Gallagher for the tying goal 2 games ago, opened the scoring last night, etc. GDTs full of others who recognized it. Another game we "somehow" won while playing him more than the other centres. But I think we're all beyond expecting any iota of credit from you and the other hater cronies where credit is due.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 09:51 AM
  #916
417
17.5
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 27,131
vCash: 500
Plekanec had a great game last night, he didn't do anything outstanding, but actually was engaged in the offensive third for one of the few times this year, he was creative and daring.

Which makes it all the more frustrating for me because where has this been all year? Where would the Habs be if they had this Plekanec for the majority of the year?

Again, I don't think he played out of his mind...nothing really eye popping stood out, he just wasn't a black hole offensively.

Well done for last night, but still, doesn't excuse what we've seen from him for the majority of the year, if anything, it just highlights it even more.

417 is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 10:13 AM
  #917
Belial
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,762
vCash: 50
This team could go deep if Plekasex could elevate his offensive game at the right moment...

I wouldn't mind a Pacioretty-Plekachu-Gallagher combination for a couple of games...

Byron-Chucky-Radulov this line looked good before Chucky gets injured.

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw looks great!

Belial is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
  #918
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME
 
Respeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Wasn't that with a red-hot Cammalleri?

It's okay, Pleks has played a lot of hockey and had a decent career. I don't think his recent performances erase his experience as a Hab but I also don't think he's earned the honour of retiring a Hab for the very reason. He was brutal last year, and is brutal this year. No heart, no effort left in him. If it's over, it's over - but he shouldn't retire a Hab. Maybe I'm saying it out of spite, I dunno.

If he's going to be a defensive-only player, I hope to god he plays better. In recent games he's been bad going both ways.
Cammalleri had 50 points the year Plekanec got 70 and we had a ton of injuries (Cammy/Gio/Markov/Kostitsyn all missed a lot of games), so his 70 points weren't just because of Cammalleri, who also spent a fair amount of time with Gomez/Gionta that year.

Plekanec hasn't been good the last year and a half, my point was he's had a very solid career here and saying that it was because of Kovalev/being given opportunities because we didn't have centres is ridiculous.

Respeck is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 10:54 AM
  #919
PaulD
Registered User
 
PaulD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respeck View Post
Cammalleri had 50 points the year Plekanec got 70 and we had a ton of injuries (Cammy/Gio/Markov/Kostitsyn all missed a lot of games), so his 70 points weren't just because of Cammalleri, who also spent a fair amount of time with Gomez/Gionta that year.

Plekanec hasn't been good the last year and a half, my point was he's had a very solid career here and saying that it was because of Kovalev/being given opportunities because we didn't have centres is ridiculous.
Sure. I remember when he was ok. His style of play left him wanting at play off time however. Every season. Honestly the only thing that i ever recall him doing in the play offs was scoring an ot goal against Caps in 010. Game one I think. By his own admission play off hockey has never been good to him.

Agree with poster who stated he should not be retiring a Hab. This fan will forget him right after his last shift. He will not be remembered as a significant Montreal Canadien what so ever. Actually if he stays another season he will be in full blown Scott Gomez territory. As he is on the cusp of that now.

PaulD is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 11:11 AM
  #920
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,856
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Plekanec had a great game last night, he didn't do anything outstanding, but actually was engaged in the offensive third for one of the few times this year, he was creative and daring.

Which makes it all the more frustrating for me because where has this been all year? Where would the Habs be if they had this Plekanec for the majority of the year?

Again, I don't think he played out of his mind...nothing really eye popping stood out, he just wasn't a black hole offensively.

Well done for last night, but still, doesn't excuse what we've seen from him for the majority of the year, if anything, it just highlights it even more.
Yeah it was the first game in a long time where he looked like the old Plekanec. Very engaged. Maybe he's rounding into playoff form?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 11:41 AM
  #921
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi
 
DangerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: T.O
Country: Japan
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah it was the first game in a long time where he looked like the old Plekanec. Very engaged. Maybe he's rounding into playoff form?
I miss old Plekanec. Last night was nice to see. Very good game for him.

DangerDave is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 11:58 AM
  #922
PaulD
Registered User
 
PaulD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,838
vCash: 500
Me too.

I miss a lot of ex players. Plekanec is the only one I miss that is still playing.

PaulD is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
  #923
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,917
vCash: 500
A bunch of snide armchair athletes on this board!

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
03-23-2017, 09:08 PM
  #924
The Great Pateryn
Protect Da Deficit
 
The Great Pateryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,973
vCash: 457
Just absolutely terrible. Could not care less about the team. He laughs when we lose, and provides absolutely nothing. I don't want to see him in a Habs jersey again. What happened to this team being more than Carey Price? Disgrace of a player.

The Great Pateryn is online now  
Old
03-23-2017, 09:10 PM
  #925
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 40,961
vCash: 500
Apparently 1-14 on the dot tonight. Ouch.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.