HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Preds defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
  #1
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Rank the Preds defenseman

For those that watch the Preds on a nightly basis could you currently rank your defenseman for me

First rank them 1-7 as to how they are at this moment (assuming everyone is healthy).

Then project somewhat .. and give me those rankings for 2 years down the road.



Thanks in advance.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2008, 09:49 PM
  #2
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,160
vCash: 500
1. Weber
2. Hamhuis
3. Zidlicky
4. Suter
5. DeVries
6. Zanon
7. Koistinen
8. Klein


2 years?

1. Weber
2. Hamhuis
3. Suter
4. Zidlicky
5. Franson
6. Klein
7. Blum? Zanon?

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 02:03 AM
  #3
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 500
1 Hamhuis
2. Weber (I'd like to say he is better than Hamhuis right now but I can't- he should be)
3. Suter
4. Zids (keep the puck in at the blueline on the PP...move up to #3)
5. DeVries
6. Koistenen
7. Klein (it's hard to remember what he looks like...)
8. Zanon (he does block shots though...)

All of them have their own unique form of brain cramp that can lead to some real stinker games thrown in among the good ones.

In a few years: Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Franson, Klein, Laakso, Koistenen

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
  #4
kivaerijo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EastNashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
1.Weber
2.Zanon
3.Devries
4.Zidlicky
5.Koistinen
6.Suter
7.Hamhuis

Funny how everyone has different view of game. And mine changes dramatically depending on the week. mainly i am not including puck moving and offensive prowess. but hammy and suter give up the puck way too much for my liking. I think in a couple years we have all numbers 1-4, because the potential is great. but potential doesnt do anything at the moment.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
  #5
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
1.Weber
2.Zanon
3.Devries
4.Zidlicky
5.Koistinen
6.Suter
7.Hamhuis

Funny how everyone has different view of game. And mine changes dramatically depending on the week. mainly i am not including puck moving and offensive prowess. but hammy and suter give up the puck way too much for my liking. I think in a couple years we have all numbers 1-4, because the potential is great. but potential doesnt do anything at the moment.
Funny how the three guys that aren't responsible for leading breakouts and moving the puck up ice are your top three.

Your one criteria for a bad defensemen is that the give up the puck to much yet they are the ones that give up the puck once a game because they lead at least 15 breakouts a game. It's a catch 22, your top three never lead breakouts so they aren't in danger of giving up the puck.

Maybe you should try taking "puck moving" in to consideration.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
  #6
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
1 Hamhuis
2. Weber (I'd like to say he is better than Hamhuis right now but I can't- he should be)
3. Suter
4. Zids (keep the puck in at the blueline on the PP...move up to #3)
5. DeVries
6. Koistenen
7. Klein (it's hard to remember what he looks like...)
8. Zanon (he does block shots though...)

All of them have their own unique form of brain cramp that can lead to some real stinker games thrown in among the good ones.

In a few years: Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Franson, Klein, Laakso, Koistenen
I agree with the current list but in 2 years I see

Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Laakso, Franson, Zidlicky, Klein.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2008, 11:46 PM
  #7
Detox
Registered User
 
Detox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The 780
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
quick inquiry on Koistinen..

Had a great game vs the Oil tonight: 1 and 1, +4 in 17 mins.

Granted Ive only seen him play maybe 4 or 5 times this season, he has done well in that selection of games.

I've noticed that on several of the rankings he appears at the bottom, and in upcoming years, despite his age, he doesnt appear at all. Is their a specific reason for this? Is there a similar type of player in the pipeline in which the organisation and the fans are more high on??

His AHL numbers were great and, thus far, his numbers in the NHL are fairly solid as well....

Detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:18 AM
  #8
kivaerijo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EastNashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post
quick inquiry on Koistinen..

Had a great game vs the Oil tonight: 1 and 1, +4 in 17 mins.

Granted Ive only seen him play maybe 4 or 5 times this season, he has done well in that selection of games.

I've noticed that on several of the rankings he appears at the bottom, and in upcoming years, despite his age, he doesnt appear at all. Is their a specific reason for this? Is there a similar type of player in the pipeline in which the organisation and the fans are more high on??

His AHL numbers were great and, thus far, his numbers in the NHL are fairly solid as well....
The main reason is because everyone in Nashville has been told that Hamhuis, Suter, and Weber have unbelievable potential, so they always get ranked first. Usually not the best on the ice though. I have loved Koistinen since he started this year, and think he will be here for a long time, but he has split time with other defensmen this year due to having too many dmen, and will be interesting what happens in the off seasoon with them all, and who gets spots next year.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
  #9
kivaerijo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EastNashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Funny how the three guys that aren't responsible for leading breakouts and moving the puck up ice are your top three.

Your one criteria for a bad defensemen is that the give up the puck to much yet they are the ones that give up the puck once a game because they lead at least 15 breakouts a game. It's a catch 22, your top three never lead breakouts so they aren't in danger of giving up the puck.

Maybe you should try taking "puck moving" in to consideration.
funny how you didnt even have an opinion, but you have an opinion about mine.

Yes my criteria for a defensman is foremost someone who defends the goal. If that is not priority one, then you have a forward. If you have a defensman that gives up the puck in front of his own net a lot (hamhuis, Suter) then they might not be considered good defensemen, in its true sense of the word.

and 15 breakouts a game is a little extreme unless your counting just little passes up to our defensive blue line. and if thats the case there are way more, by every defensmen, and at least that many by Ellis himself (exagerating...a little). Most of the time our D skates the puck to the blue or red line and dumps it in. If someone brings the puck into the zone it is usually a forward who received it from a d man who was behind our net or close to it. (Zidlicky and Koistinen the main exemption to that rule). We dont use the stretch pass and get behind the opposition that often. So i dont think that our typical break out pass does all that much. most of the time its a dump, chase, forecheck, cycle until someone is open and score.

i specifically said in the post that i didnt take into acount puck moving. i was basing it on defensive play only. there are many different ways to look at dmen, and i was ranking them in one way, and others have ranked in another. if you want to rank them by toughness, it would be different list as well (suter would still be at the bottom for me, even though he had a cute fight the other night). If you ranked them on potential that would be different to.

I guess i like my defense to play defense a little more and not make dumb offensive decisions unless they know they are covered. Hamhuis makes dumb decions in the defensive zone when he is all alone. time and time again. Suter does it less, but still does it. If we had more defensive dmen we would probably have at least 5 more wins on the year, and if we had a goalie that could steal a few games as well(vokoun), we would still be top 4 in west. But you go ahead and enjoy those stretch passes that hardly ever work or get attempted, and keep listening to the hype who our top three dmen are and repeat it as your opinion. and remember Timmonen, he was a "puck moving" D man who didnt turn the puck over in his defensive zone looking for that quick goal. he made smart decisions with the puck. Those guys will get there, but they are not yet. Even if i took puck moving into play, zidlicky and koistinen would be top of that list.

Maybe you should try and take defense into consideration when you dont rank your d men.

Of course these are all my opinions.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
  #10
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Why would Hamhuis lead the team in TOI and play on the 1st PK if he was as bad defensively as you think he is? No defenseman is going to be perfect, especially when they have to play against the best forwards on opposing teams.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 04:32 PM
  #11
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
funny how you didnt even have an opinion, but you have an opinion about mine.

Yes my criteria for a defensman is foremost someone who defends the goal. If that is not priority one, then you have a forward. If you have a defensman that gives up the puck in front of his own net a lot (hamhuis, Suter) then they might not be considered good defensemen, in its true sense of the word.

and 15 breakouts a game is a little extreme unless your counting just little passes up to our defensive blue line. and if thats the case there are way more, by every defensmen, and at least that many by Ellis himself (exagerating...a little). Most of the time our D skates the puck to the blue or red line and dumps it in. If someone brings the puck into the zone it is usually a forward who received it from a d man who was behind our net or close to it. (Zidlicky and Koistinen the main exemption to that rule). We dont use the stretch pass and get behind the opposition that often. So i dont think that our typical break out pass does all that much. most of the time its a dump, chase, forecheck, cycle until someone is open and score.

i specifically said in the post that i didnt take into acount puck moving. i was basing it on defensive play only. there are many different ways to look at dmen, and i was ranking them in one way, and others have ranked in another. if you want to rank them by toughness, it would be different list as well (suter would still be at the bottom for me, even though he had a cute fight the other night). If you ranked them on potential that would be different to.

I guess i like my defense to play defense a little more and not make dumb offensive decisions unless they know they are covered. Hamhuis makes dumb decions in the defensive zone when he is all alone. time and time again. Suter does it less, but still does it. If we had more defensive dmen we would probably have at least 5 more wins on the year, and if we had a goalie that could steal a few games as well(vokoun), we would still be top 4 in west. But you go ahead and enjoy those stretch passes that hardly ever work or get attempted, and keep listening to the hype who our top three dmen are and repeat it as your opinion. and remember Timmonen, he was a "puck moving" D man who didnt turn the puck over in his defensive zone looking for that quick goal. he made smart decisions with the puck. Those guys will get there, but they are not yet. Even if i took puck moving into play, zidlicky and koistinen would be top of that list.

Maybe you should try and take defense into consideration when you dont rank your d men.

Of course these are all my opinions.
The question that was asked at the beginning of the thread has an answer similar to what I would have posted already. So rather than make a post that has "+1" or "agreed" (which is now against board rules) I abstained from answering. Is that a good enough reason for you????

As to my opinion on your opinion...Well you seem a little miss informed as to what a "breakout" actually is and if you can only rank a player on one specific nuance of the game at one time then I see absolutely no point in having dialog with you. It would take me days to explain to you and years for you to understand what is happening during a hockey game.

Have a nice day.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
  #12
mckly
follow @dugs27 hky
 
mckly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Drayton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,335
vCash: 500
1. Hamhuis
2. Weber
3. Zidlicky
4. Suter
5. De Vries
6. Koistenen
7. Klein

mckly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
  #13
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
1. Hamhuis
2. Weber
3. Suter
4. Koistinen
5. DeVries
6. Zidlicky
7. Klein

not that I'd play them that way.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
  #14
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,336
vCash: 500
How anyone can rank Zanon second and base it on actual defensive play is beyond me......

He's constantly out of position trying to block every shot and can't play man on man to save his life.

he's the biggest one trick pony on the team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
  #15
lugnut76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
I have been pretty rough on Hamhuis, but I am man that can admit when he is wrong. . .

1. Hamhuis
2. Weber
3. Zidlicky
4. Suter
5. DeVries
6. Ville K.
7. Klein
8. Franson
9. Sulzer
10. Blum

. . . I would have to dig pretty deep to get to Zannon. I like him as he seems like a good guy, appreciate how hard he works, and I think he has brought a littel more phsyical play than he has shown in the past (didn't look at stats before that statement so please don't crucify me if the stats don't agree), but not sure he cracks the top ten for me.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
  #16
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
After watching games like last night, I'd say they are terribly, terribly overrated lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
  #17
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Thanks for the responses.

Now the question.

would the Preds be interested in a deal for one of Hamhuis, Weber or Suter ... centered around one of the following three players (Giroux, Umberger or vanReimsdyk).

Obviously depending on which defenseman .. and which of the Flyers listed above there would have to be other pieces added.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
  #18
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Now the question.

would the Preds be interested in a deal for one of Hamhuis, Weber or Suter ... centered around one of the following three players (Giroux, Umberger or vanReimsdyk).

Obviously depending on which defenseman .. and which of the Flyers listed above there would have to be other pieces added.
I think a JVR\Suter deal would be enticing. What would we need to add?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
  #19
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I think a JVR\Suter deal would be enticing. What would we need to add?
It would be awfully difficult to move JVR without having Weber come back in return.

Suter + Florida's #1

for

van Reimsdyk + 3rd

And that's only if Florida stays in the 4-6 range .. if they moved up to 10th or better I probably wouldn't make the deal. My goal would be to add to the Florida pick and move up to get Drew Doughty.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 03:59 PM
  #20
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
It would be awfully difficult to move JVR without having Weber come back in return.

Suter + Florida's #1

for

van Reimsdyk + 3rd

And that's only if Florida stays in the 4-6 range .. if they moved up to 10th or better I probably wouldn't make the deal. My goal would be to add to the Florida pick and move up to get Drew Doughty.
uuuhhh no thanks on giving up Florida's first in this year's draft

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
  #21
mckly
follow @dugs27 hky
 
mckly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Drayton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,335
vCash: 500
Suter + 1st + Radulov

for

JVR + Timonen +Downie + Coburn + 3rd, 5th

mckly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
  #22
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckly View Post
Suter + 1st + Radulov

for

JVR + Timonen +Downie + Coburn + 3rd, 5th


John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
  #23
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckly View Post
Suter + 1st + Radulov

for

JVR + Timonen +Downie + Coburn + 3rd, 5th
we don't want or need him back ... guys just go away ... if you're not going to take this seriously ... we'll take your first and two other RECENT first rounders for an aging dman, "downie", JVR - okay that's legit, Coburn? ... meh ... please just go away

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
  #24
Stuart McDonald
Registered User
 
Stuart McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
1.Weber
2.Zanon
3.Devries
4.Zidlicky
5.Koistinen
6.Suter
7.Hamhuis

Funny how everyone has different view of game. And mine changes dramatically depending on the week. mainly i am not including puck moving and offensive prowess. but hammy and suter give up the puck way too much for my liking. I think in a couple years we have all numbers 1-4, because the potential is great. but potential doesnt do anything at the moment.
Putting Hamhuis at No. 7 shows me you just don't have a clue. Either that or you haven't watched the team a whole lot.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
  #25
Stuart McDonald
Registered User
 
Stuart McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I agree with the current list but in 2 years I see

Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Laakso, Franson, Zidlicky, Klein.
I agree with your assessment here. I might put Franson ahead of Laasko but even that is debatable. You can run my team's defense anytime.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.