Do the Flames have what it takes?

Old
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
debil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
My prediction: we win one round.
if we survived 1st round i'd say ok, good season.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
mucca

we ahve always played better against the stronger teams (Det, Col, Dal) i say bring them on!

if we play Ana, Nsh we could have a problem.....

not too concerned about Min though..

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
special_loob

the west is going to be a war this playoff season.

it's going to be test of survival rather than winning. the flames' best scenario would be winning the div and facing the wild in the 1st round.

1st round
DET v COL (DET wins)
DAL v VAN (toss up - depends on how many games Luongo steals)
CGY v MIN (CGY wins)
ANA v SAN (toss up)

2nd round - 1st scenario
DET v ANA/SAN
DAL v CGY (we've matched up well with the stars this year)

2nd round - 2nd scenario
DET v VAN
CGY v ANA/SAN (hopefully the ANA/SAN winner is beaten up from their first round)

There's a definite chance. Win one round, build momentum and continue to do so as you keep winning.

I think it'll be very tough for whoever the west winner is to have enough left in the tank to take on the east winner for the cup this year.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM
ZergZega

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
they match up well against the ducks and the wings but i don't like their chances outside of that.
Geez, I thought if a team matched up well against both of those teams, they would match up well against anybody.

ZergZega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

From an outsiders POV, you guys need that 3rd seed (goes without saying), but if you guys get Dallas or San Jose I personally like your chances. Espically San Jose. You got the horses to shutdown Thornton and if Iginla gets rolling they have nobody that will stop him. I also think you guys could take down the Ducks, but it would be such a hard fought series that you would have much left. I felt that same way as an Oiler fan is 06. I knew if they played the Flames, yes we could win it, but I doubted we would have anything left for the next round.....I'm still ticked at you guys for not getting there, that series would have been EPIC!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
There were some big differences between that team and this one...team speed and heart come to mind, not to mention endless grit (from all lines not just 4th line + Nolan), team defense (no Iginla waiting at the red-line), etc...

To compare the 2 teams is impossible becuase the makeup is far too different, and if you look at the teams that have "suprised" in the last few years, they all had the makeup of the 03-04 Flames, not the softer "skill" team you see today.
Naturally, and it is wrong to compare the two teams. But the point of it is, when the playoffs start anything can happen. Every season, people look through the 'usual' teams lineups and have a heart attack, looking at the depth and talent on them. And every season, some of those teams choke to teams which fly under the radar. Not to say the Flames are good enough to win through, but when you make the playoffs, you are good enough to go all the way. You need to find momentum and a bit of luck, and as much as one shot/one hit/one save can change a series. With Iginla, Phaneuf and Kipper, there are players who can turn it on at any stage. But if we play anything like last season against Detroit, we might as well not bother turning up.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Loyal2TheOil

i think you guys have what it takes. you got a stud on defense, a vezina caliber goaltender(maybe not this season), and a leader who can carry this team on his back in iginla. the core of the team has experience going deep in the playoffs. the key will be to get everyone to play as a team, but the beauty of having so many veterans is they know what's at stake. it just fuels them, i'd expect a guy like nolan to be huge, i wouldn't be suprised if he was this years version of 04 gelinas. you guys have the talent but you get overlooked because of all the talent at the top of the west. you could easily fly under the radar for a bit. with that being said the team still has to go out and perform. best of luck to you guys.

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 04:34 PM
KiwiFlamesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal2TheOil View Post
i think you guys have what it takes. you got a stud on defense, a vezina caliber goaltender(maybe not this season), and a leader who can carry this team on his back in iginla. the core of the team has experience going deep in the playoffs. the key will be to get everyone to play as a team, but the beauty of having so many veterans is they know what's at stake. it just fuels them, i'd expect a guy like nolan to be huge, i wouldn't be suprised if he was this years version of 04 gelinas. you guys have the talent but you get overlooked because of all the talent at the top of the west. you could easily fly under the radar for a bit. with that being said the team still has to go out and perform. best of luck to you guys.
Thanks for the comments

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote