Notices

I Love Nic Ehlers, but... [flopping, body language, etc]

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 08:34 AM
FFHockey

vCash: 500
I Love Nic Ehlers, but... [flopping, body language, etc]

How many shifts would he get with this guy as his coach??

This is the tweet of the UCONN Women' B Ball coach that is setting Twitter on fire.

https://twitter.com/bballcoachmac/st...26689740869633

I know he's young and stuff but his flopping and body language at times in games leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he sheds that act soon. He is a true talent with crazy upside but when things don't go his way his attitude "appears" to for lack of a better word...suck. I say "appears" because maybe I'm missing something about the way he acts?

I had a kid who played hockey in a similar way at times when things didn't go his way and it drove me crazy but he was 12 or so when he was doing that!

Old
03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 50
Every player matures, it just takes time. IE Early Crosby.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714

Old
03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

First off, great speech by that dude. "But I'd rather lose than watch kids play the way some of them play." Love it. Somebody's gotta teach kids that you'd better be an elite player in an elite league before you put on the prima donna act.

What that coach in the tweet was complaining about doesn't fully apply to Ehlers, IMO.

"I didn't score so why should I be happy"
"doesn't appreciate his team mates"

You'll not see a bigger **** eating grin than the one splatted across Ehler's gob after his teammates score a goal.

I would agree he can put on a bit of an act if he's messed with on the ice. But that's about it.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:40 AM
MardyBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post

What that coach in the tweet was complaining about doesn't fully apply to Ehlers, IMO.

"I didn't score so why should I be happy"
"doesn't appreciate his team mates"

You'll not see a bigger **** eating grin than the one splatted across Ehler's gob after his teammates score a goal.

I would agree he can put on a bit of an act if he's messed with on the ice. But that's about it.
If thats what the video is about this deserves a giant blue shakehead.

Not happy for his teammates, jesus christ.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Great share.

I don't like Ehlers sulking bit when he feels he's been 'fouled' by another player but that's not a kid that's not engaged or looking solely at his own stats. Seems quite the opposite of that to me how happy he is when someone else scores. Kid wants to win and wants to contribute offensively but the right one is the priority.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFHockey View Post

This is the tweet of the UCONN Women' B Ball coach that is setting Twitter on fire.

I know he's young and stuff but his flopping and body language at times in games leaves something to be desired. Hopefully he sheds that act soon. He is a true talent with crazy upside but when things don't go his way his attitude "appears" to for lack of a better word...suck. I say "appears" because maybe I'm missing something about the way he acts?

I had a kid who played hockey in a similar way at times when things didn't go his way and it drove me crazy but he was 12 or so when he was doing that!
What?????
Ehlers is at the very top of that coach's list of players he WANTS! Engaged, enthusiastic, in the game, excited when his teammates score, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know what you are watching. It isn't Ehlers.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
If thats what the video is about this deserves a giant blue shakehead.

Not happy for his teammates, jesus christ.
I picked out some specific parts that really didn't apply to Ehlers. But overall it was a lot about body language, selfishness, and a sense of entitlement among young players.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:51 AM
FFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
What?????
Ehlers is at the very top of that coach's list of players he WANTS! Engaged, enthusiastic, in the game, excited when his teammates score, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know what you are watching. It isn't Ehlers.
I am watching and often see him give up on plays, sulk when he didn't score, etc. Like I said, I love him as a player but don't like his body language at times. I sit a few rows off the ice and it's pretty clear his body language is pretty sucky at times.

I know it will change as he matures...listening to that coach speak about body language made me think of Nic is all.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:06 AM
surixon

I don't get this at all either. He could get rid of the embellishing but the kid generally plays hard and is engaged with his teammates. I don't get any of this bad body language.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:08 AM
ERYX
'Pegger in Exile

vCash: 1250
I just really hate Ehlers' dives/being super slow to get up sometimes. Other than that I have no problems with him and don't think most of this stuff applies.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I don't get this at all either. He could get rid of the embellishing but the kid generally plays hard and is engaged with his teammates. I don't get any of this bad body language.
Ehlers is always climbing on his teammates when they score. Weird article.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Eyeseeing

Ehlers embellishes "ahem" once in a while not the end of the world.
I see a very happy go lucky young guy who seems to love his team mates ......

Old
03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 575
Quote:
I am watching and often see him give up on plays, sulk when he didn't score, etc. Like I said, I love him as a player but don't like his body language at times. I sit a few rows off the ice and it's pretty clear his body language is pretty sucky at times.

I know it will change as he matures...listening to that coach speak about body language made me think of Nic is all.
OK, not always the best body language. Gee, the kid's not perfect after all. If that's what you are seeing I think you must be looking for it. Not that its never there but it is such a small part of the package that it is inconsequential, IMO.

He gets fouled a lot and most of them are not called. He needs to learn to ignore the missed calls and play on. Refs are influenced by reputations. He wants to get a good one with them. He'll get more of the calls that way than by complaining.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
Ehlers embellishes "ahem" once in a while not the end of the world.
I see a very happy go lucky young guy who seems to love his team mates ......
Yup. Agree. Not much out of the norm here. Ehlers is fine.

Old
03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
DashingDane

vCash: 100
Quote:

Probably more than he is getting under Paul... Ehlers has never lacked effort. There is a reason Ehls, Laine and Chef are always the last players to leave the ice. Work ethic! Sure he needs to stop flopping and hopefully he will but I don't think there is anything wrong with his body language after he makes a mistake. Now if that body language carried over to his next shift then we could start discussing it. Tom Brady doesn't look very happy after he throws an interception does that mean he has attitude problems? I'd be more concerned if he looked like he didn't care after making mistakes.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Babooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYX View Post
I just really hate Ehlers' dives/being super slow to get up sometimes. Other than that I have no problems with him and don't think most of this stuff applies.
Referees HATE divers and faux injuries, and for that reason alone someone on the Jets with a letter needs to explain that to him so that it stops. Other than that I think he's tremendous and one of our MVPs.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:17 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 69

Old
03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Babooch

Anyone else following Canuck thread updates lamenting their Virtanen pick? We could have worse problems.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babooch View Post
Anyone else following Canuck thread updates lamenting their Virtanen pick? We could have worse problems.
They are already panicking over Juolevi.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
almostawake

Auriemma's full of ****. It is easy to act all high and mighty when he knows full and well that he'll never have to back it up.

Auriemma is one of the most competitive people alive. Push comes to shove he's going to do everything in his power to win. He wouldn't sit a player he actually needs to win. The thing is, his roster is just so over grown with talent he can sit whoever he wants with minimal on court repercussions.

As far as flopping goes, I have no idea what that has to do with Auriemma's comments. Auriemma has made it pretty clear over the years that sportsmanship is one of his last concerns. He regularly instructs his teams to keep piling up points on unworthy opponents. His team is trained to gain advantage in any way possible. If Auriemma sees flopping as an effective tactic, you'd best believe every play on his team will be well trained in it.

As far as Ehlers's body language goes, we really know nothing. His frustration could easily stem from a feeling of having let his team down as much as anything else. And I certainly don't get the sense he is jealous of the success of any teammate. The real meaning of his body language is for those on the bench and in the dressing room to decide. It is very easy to misinterpret at distance.

With Ehlers it is also important to keep in mind that his father is a high level coach. When he coached here in Lausanne his reputation was as a bit of a hardass when it came to stuff like attitude, to the point that it ultimately saw him move on. I have a hard time believing that he raised his son to be the complete opposite of what he preaches to his team.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:00 PM
KingJoffrey

Ehlers selfish? If you have that kind of opinion you certainly don't watch games.

Only thing what you really can complain is that he flops too much.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
spek24

Every player flops to get penalties. See: Spurgeon from last game..

Old
03-20-2017, 04:55 PM
gbill2004

Old
03-21-2017, 08:08 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
I think we've got ourselves a bona fide echo chamber.

Last edited by kanadalainen: 03-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Closed Thread