HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #16

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
shouldn't his motivation be about getting into the playoffs with his team and not just his personal milestones? Seems kinda selfish.
Maybe there are not much point to chase personal milestones anymore for him as his team cannot get to playoffs anymore. If anything he should be more selfish for now on, not less, as it wouldn't make his team's situation any worse.

...and Patrik Laine cannot be called selfish anyway as if he have a puck and he see there are slim changes to score by himself, he has habit to give good passes to his linemates to try to score instead with maybe better scoring changes.

That's why HE IS NOT "pure one-dimensional sniper". He is also team player.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletman View Post
Laine's finnish mentality will make him lose the Calder. Finns usually play well in the beginning and middle part, but then when it matters the most, they always seem to find a way to drop the ball. And that's what's happening right now.

Matthews on the other hand doesn't have as much offensive skill as Laine, but he seems to play with so much intensity, heart, persistence and determination that it pretty much makes up for the gap in skill. And that's what eventually will bring Matthews the Calder in the end.
Well at least your persistent in that your takes are always scorching hot, not necessarily right, but always hot af.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
shouldn't his motivation be about getting into the playoffs with his team and not just his personal milestones? Seems kinda selfish.
"-This is a pretty special situation. But there's always something to play for. Some people play to keep their job and others want to show off (I don't know how to translate this any better) just because. Personally for me it is enough that i play well. I'm not really aiming at any specific amount of goals or anything like that. I'll just play well 'till the end."

That's what he said. <mod>

Last edited by SniperHF: 03-21-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: no
Old
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
ijuka

Quote:
It was. But when there's no chance for playoffs that's kind of irrelevant.

He said in an interview earlier that he's only thinking about reaching playoffs.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
TIGERCOOL

Laine and Matthews slowing a bit comes down to two things: fatigue and the level of intensity league wide ramping up for the playoffs. Matthews had a great night last game, which hopefully indicates that he now sees what level of compete he needs to bring down the stretch. I didn't get to watch Laine play Sunday, but I can see why his style of play would have him falling behind the play as it gets grindier. He'll have to use his size and get to the dirty areas. Dude can shoot like no one I've seen though, so he'll always have a chance to score. Blaming his great teammates (Peg has a top 5 forward core I'd say), the ice quality, or "how much he cares" is silly. He's just got to learn and adapt like anyone else. Nothing more.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
"-This is a pretty special situation. But there's always something to play for. Some people play to keep their job and others want to show off (I don't know how to translate this any better) just because. Personally for me it is enough that i play well. I'm not really aiming at any specific amount of goals or anything like that. I'll just play well 'till the end."

That's what he said. <mod>
Laine should have known better than give that comment. "Just playing well" isn't enough, not in Toronto. That's selfish right there. Play-offs is what matters, that should be Laine's number one priority now, not playing well.

Last edited by SniperHF: 03-21-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: QEP
Old
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Hagged

Matthews is going to feast on Boston today, mark my words. Feast mode Matthews.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The Calder like most awards this season will be last man standing. Very tight race.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:49 PM
10Ducky10

Laine played better last game but still not as well as in the past and no, I'm not talking about points. They should try
Laine Scheif Armia or
Laine Scheif Wheeler

Old
03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Couchcaptain

Laine has said many times during the season that he gives a **** about any personal trophies and point totals etc.. And he just wants to play in playoffs and win stanley cup.
Well, it would be easy to say that it's just empty talk..
But i don't know.. It really looks like he has no motivation to play anymore. He has been quite bad on home ice also for a while now. And he just looks lazy there.. not hungry for goals anymore.

Old
03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
Laine has said many times during the season that he gives a **** about any personal trophies and point totals etc.. And he just wants to play in playoffs and win stanley cup.
Well, it would be easy to say that it's just empty talk..
But i don't know.. It really looks like he has no motivation to play anymore. He has been quite bad on home ice also for a while now. And he just looks lazy there.. not hungry for goals anymore.
I'm sure he's hit the wall. It happens to all rookies at some point.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Matthews is going to feast on Boston today, mark my words. Feast mode Matthews.
I see a lot if Finnish/Jets fans right this **** every game. With Laine it's "I don't expect much, given excuse x y or z", and then when/if he does well they will act shocked and amazed. Now it's "Matthews will feast on team x" and if he doesn't there will be posts both falling out the original post and wondering why he didn't live up to the expectations.

It's weird, one thing I've been noticing a lot.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
I see a lot if Finnish/Jets fans right this **** every game. With Laine it's "I don't expect much, given excuse x y or z", and then when/if he does well they will act shocked and amazed. Now it's "Matthews will feast on team x" and if he doesn't there will be posts both falling out the original post and wondering why he didn't live up to the expectations.

It's weird, one thing I've been noticing a lot.
Could it be so that these Finnish/Jets fans would want to see the situation the topical award would be awarded to the guy who really earn it, measured only by on ice performances, not by media coverage of media's opinion?

Some magic from Matthews expected and also hoped. It won't take anything out from Patrik, only making Calder calderworthy.

We all want see the moment when everything goes back to that level where it once began. By the certain chapter of the fans of Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post
Matthews has 0 points in his last 7 games

What's up?
bust imo

Old
03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post
Could it be so that these Finnish/Jets fans would want to see the situation the topical award would be awarded to the guy who really earn it, measured only by on ice performances, not by media coverage of media's opinion?

Some magic from Matthews expected and also hoped. It won't take anything out from Patrik, only making Calder calderworthy.

We all want see the moment when everything goes back to that level where it once began. By the certain chapter of the fans of Toronto Maple Leafs.
How about you wait until the award is actually decided until you whine about media bias.

At least that's what I'm deciphering from this post, I'm having a difficult time understanding it.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
lovemyleafs

A point each for Marner, Matthews, and Nylander!

Old
03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
ThrillinPhil
Tdot.

If the Leafs make the playoffs. Can Marner and Matthews both win it and share it?

Old
03-20-2017, 09:39 PM
MR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillinPhil View Post
If the Leafs make the playoffs. Can Marner and Matthews both win it and share it?
With how much media bias there is towards Toronto, they could probably force a 3 way tie between the MNM kids so they all get to win it

Old
03-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Arizonan God

Matthews with a cheeky EN assist.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR4 View Post
With how much media bias there is towards Toronto, they could probably force a 3 way tie between the MNM kids so they all get to win it
They get to share the next trophy they win

Old
03-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Matthews assist was for an emptynetter, therefore it shouldn't count.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
WillTheThrill

I don't give a **** about the calder. Laine can have it, he definitely deserves it. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are after bigger things.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:05 PM
WTFMAN99

It would be cool if Matthews or a Leaf in general won it but it's not the trophy we're shooting for. We want a cup (probably not this season lol)

Old
03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Sundinisagod
reverse tank

As of today, the Calder would be Laine's. Matthews will definitely need a significantly stronger finish to the season to win it over Laine. I wouldn't count out Marner either, he's closing the gap on Matthews. He's known for strong finishes, showed it tonight especially.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
As of today, the Calder would be Laine's. Matthews will definitely need a significantly stronger finish to the season to win it over Laine. I wouldn't count out Marner either, he's closing the gap with Matthews. He's known for strong finishes, showed it tonight especially.
Would be absolutely hilarious if after all this bickering Marner just walks in quietly and takes the Calder.

Calder is basically Art Ross for rookies. Marner had a fantastic game against Boston and has been playing well for a while. Laine and Matthews both have been cold in March.

Closed Thread