HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Race 2016/2017 #16

Old
03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Sypher04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
The only thing left to prove for him in the last 10 games, is can he hit 40 goals and 70 points this year? Had he not missed 8 games. This may have been a forgone conclusion. He still might do it. But what he has done already this year, I don't think anyone will come away being disappointed in him as a player.
I definitely would not imply anything other than his season being a big individual success as a rookie.

That said, I feel like all players are constantly proving themselves. No one is really immune to it.Even guys like Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, and on and on. Because no matter what bar you hit, you're either chasing the next bar, or if you've reached the top, you're trying to raise it just high enough to keep it out of reach of the guy behind you.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
TheBigThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Laine's interview after the Wild game is telling: freely translated, he says that he no longer has any invidual goals or milestones to reach this season. http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9519293

Motivation seems to have left the building, at least partly.
shouldn't his motivation be about getting into the playoffs with his team and not just his personal milestones? Seems kinda selfish.

TheBigThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Lari

His motivation should have always been with winning as many games as possible.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigThree View Post
shouldn't his motivation be about getting into the playoffs with his team and not just his personal milestones? Seems kinda selfish.
Maybe there are not much point to chase personal milestones anymore for him as his team cannot get to playoffs anymore. If anything he should be more selfish for now on, not less, as it wouldn't make his team's situation any worse.

...and Patrik Laine cannot be called selfish anyway as if he have a puck and he see there are slim changes to score by himself, he has habit to give good passes to his linemates to try to score instead with maybe better scoring changes.

That's why HE IS NOT "pure one-dimensional sniper". He is also team player.

Se829ne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletman View Post
Laine's finnish mentality will make him lose the Calder. Finns usually play well in the beginning and middle part, but then when it matters the most, they always seem to find a way to drop the ball. And that's what's happening right now.

Matthews on the other hand doesn't have as much offensive skill as Laine, but he seems to play with so much intensity, heart, persistence and determination that it pretty much makes up for the gap in skill. And that's what eventually will bring Matthews the Calder in the end.
Well at least your persistent in that your takes are always scorching hot, not necessarily right, but always hot af.

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
"-This is a pretty special situation. But there's always something to play for. Some people play to keep their job and others want to show off (I don't know how to translate this any better) just because. Personally for me it is enough that i play well. I'm not really aiming at any specific amount of goals or anything like that. I'll just play well 'till the end."

That's what he said. <mod>

Last edited by SniperHF: Yesterday at 12:38 AM. Reason: no
Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
ijuka

Quote:
It was. But when there's no chance for playoffs that's kind of irrelevant.

He said in an interview earlier that he's only thinking about reaching playoffs.

ijuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
TIGERCOOL

Laine and Matthews slowing a bit comes down to two things: fatigue and the level of intensity league wide ramping up for the playoffs. Matthews had a great night last game, which hopefully indicates that he now sees what level of compete he needs to bring down the stretch. I didn't get to watch Laine play Sunday, but I can see why his style of play would have him falling behind the play as it gets grindier. He'll have to use his size and get to the dirty areas. Dude can shoot like no one I've seen though, so he'll always have a chance to score. Blaming his great teammates (Peg has a top 5 forward core I'd say), the ice quality, or "how much he cares" is silly. He's just got to learn and adapt like anyone else. Nothing more.

TIGERCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
"-This is a pretty special situation. But there's always something to play for. Some people play to keep their job and others want to show off (I don't know how to translate this any better) just because. Personally for me it is enough that i play well. I'm not really aiming at any specific amount of goals or anything like that. I'll just play well 'till the end."

That's what he said. <mod>
Laine should have known better than give that comment. "Just playing well" isn't enough, not in Toronto. That's selfish right there. Play-offs is what matters, that should be Laine's number one priority now, not playing well.

Last edited by SniperHF: Yesterday at 12:39 AM. Reason: QEP
Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Hagged

Matthews is going to feast on Boston today, mark my words. Feast mode Matthews.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The Calder like most awards this season will be last man standing. Very tight race.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:49 PM
10Ducky10

Laine played better last game but still not as well as in the past and no, I'm not talking about points. They should try
Laine Scheif Armia or
Laine Scheif Wheeler

10Ducky10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Couchcaptain

Laine has said many times during the season that he gives a **** about any personal trophies and point totals etc.. And he just wants to play in playoffs and win stanley cup.
Well, it would be easy to say that it's just empty talk..
But i don't know.. It really looks like he has no motivation to play anymore. He has been quite bad on home ice also for a while now. And he just looks lazy there.. not hungry for goals anymore.

Couchcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
Laine has said many times during the season that he gives a **** about any personal trophies and point totals etc.. And he just wants to play in playoffs and win stanley cup.
Well, it would be easy to say that it's just empty talk..
But i don't know.. It really looks like he has no motivation to play anymore. He has been quite bad on home ice also for a while now. And he just looks lazy there.. not hungry for goals anymore.
I'm sure he's hit the wall. It happens to all rookies at some point.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Matthews is going to feast on Boston today, mark my words. Feast mode Matthews.
I see a lot if Finnish/Jets fans right this **** every game. With Laine it's "I don't expect much, given excuse x y or z", and then when/if he does well they will act shocked and amazed. Now it's "Matthews will feast on team x" and if he doesn't there will be posts both falling out the original post and wondering why he didn't live up to the expectations.

It's weird, one thing I've been noticing a lot.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
I see a lot if Finnish/Jets fans right this **** every game. With Laine it's "I don't expect much, given excuse x y or z", and then when/if he does well they will act shocked and amazed. Now it's "Matthews will feast on team x" and if he doesn't there will be posts both falling out the original post and wondering why he didn't live up to the expectations.

It's weird, one thing I've been noticing a lot.
Could it be so that these Finnish/Jets fans would want to see the situation the topical award would be awarded to the guy who really earn it, measured only by on ice performances, not by media coverage of media's opinion?

Some magic from Matthews expected and also hoped. It won't take anything out from Patrik, only making Calder calderworthy.

We all want see the moment when everything goes back to that level where it once began. By the certain chapter of the fans of Toronto Maple Leafs.

Se829ne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post
Matthews has 0 points in his last 7 games

What's up?
bust imo

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se829ne View Post
Could it be so that these Finnish/Jets fans would want to see the situation the topical award would be awarded to the guy who really earn it, measured only by on ice performances, not by media coverage of media's opinion?

Some magic from Matthews expected and also hoped. It won't take anything out from Patrik, only making Calder calderworthy.

We all want see the moment when everything goes back to that level where it once began. By the certain chapter of the fans of Toronto Maple Leafs.
How about you wait until the award is actually decided until you whine about media bias.

At least that's what I'm deciphering from this post, I'm having a difficult time understanding it.

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:22 PM
lovemyleafs

A point each for Marner, Matthews, and Nylander!

lovemyleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
ThrillinPhil
Tdot.

If the Leafs make the playoffs. Can Marner and Matthews both win it and share it?

ThrillinPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:39 PM
MR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillinPhil View Post
If the Leafs make the playoffs. Can Marner and Matthews both win it and share it?
With how much media bias there is towards Toronto, they could probably force a 3 way tie between the MNM kids so they all get to win it

MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Arizonan God

Matthews with a cheeky EN assist.

Arizonan God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR4 View Post
With how much media bias there is towards Toronto, they could probably force a 3 way tie between the MNM kids so they all get to win it
They get to share the next trophy they win

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Hockeyisl1fe

Matthews assist was for an emptynetter, therefore it shouldn't count.

Hockeyisl1fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
WillTheThrill

I don't give a **** about the calder. Laine can have it, he definitely deserves it. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are after bigger things.

WillTheThrill is offline   Reply With Quote