HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Nic Petan Still Have A Future With The Jets?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
  #76
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!
 
veganhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,893
vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I have to admit that Petan looks "intimidated" out on the ice right now. I think he's adjusting to the size and speed of the players. He seems sort of "lost" right now. I think with maturity this will change. His had some great scoring chances, and missed most of them, which shows me he's nervous and playing with no confidence.
On the Upside, he's very talented with the puck, and can somewhat control a game and buy time for the wingers to get into position. He's numbers in junior were "excellent" and he could score bigtime, and had tons of assists. These skills don't just go away-"he needs time."
I'd give Nic Petan a little time, and play him with some talented snipers like Kyle Conor, and try and build his confidence. If we let him go now-we'll get next to nothing, and he may turn out to be a real start in the NHL. This is a tough call, but keeping Nic won't hurt, as he's not breaking the bank. I'd keep him for awhile.
For a guy with the level of puck skills we've seen prior, he's had some rough games in that respect. I don't know if it's an equipment change, confidence issue, scared to make a mistake, or simply mind moving faster than his body but he had a couple of atrocious mishandles last night. That isn't an isolated game either, a guy with his talent and hands should not be having those kinds of issues.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:22 AM
  #77
Mortimer Snerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,529
vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Interesting. I have liked the idea of a trade for Theodore but have to admit I was alarmed when we played the Ducks early this season and he was getting trashed by their fan base for making brain dead plays in the D zone "as usual". I don't know if it was just a bad stretch of games or growing pains but he had a collective Board stink on him. I wonder how his advanced stats are?

As a few have said I think he would cost us either Connor or Roslovic +. The Ducks are in a weird spot Getz and Perry turn 32 this off season and Kesler turns 33 and that is their top 3 point producers? Their window has to be closing. Their future will require them to swap D for O since their prospect cupboard is overflowing with D and pretty shaky up front.

We are going to have to coach Petan up before he has any trade value IMO.
Was not aware of the bolded.
All I know about the Anaheim fanbase is that it is absolutely hopeless trying to talk to them about trading for any of their D. I don't bother to engage with them at all anymore but having tried a few times has probably pushed up my threshold for what is required. All I know is that they couldn't gush enough about Theo when he was on the NHL roster last year. AFAIK he is still a very highly regarded prospect.

If he has slid a little it might be Roslo straight up or Connor with the + coming our way. Whatever the exact details I think we are talking 3 prospects in similar territory.

If we switch to some other highly regarded D prospects we are still looking at giving up Roslo or Connor. You have to give to get. And 4 'C' prospects does not get 1'A'.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
  #78
Mortimer Snerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,529
vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
It's not the points I'm worried about with him, it's the rest of his game. He's finished 7th among d on his team in CF% last year and thats where he is this year (less than 50% and a negative rel CF% each year). His XGF% this year is a real poor 45.63 and ranks 7th among dmen on his team. So while his hot stretch as a rookie where he got some points was nice he hasn't shown near the all around game that Josh has shown at this point. He's definitely still young and has potential but sometimes you need to look a bit closer than points at player like Theodore.
Fair enough. What's his defensive play in the AHL like? Honestly, I'm more concerned with that at this stage of development. If it is good and his small(ish) sample in the NHL is not, it is likely due to needing to adjust. OTOH if he is not standing out in a positive way in the A then I might want to look elsewhere.

If he is not the one we need then I would still rather pay that premium price but for some other player who will meet the need, rather than paying less for a lesser player.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
  #79
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Was not aware of the bolded.
All I know about the Anaheim fanbase is that it is absolutely hopeless trying to talk to them about trading for any of their D. I don't bother to engage with them at all anymore but having tried a few times has probably pushed up my threshold for what is required. All I know is that they couldn't gush enough about Theo when he was on the NHL roster last year. AFAIK he is still a very highly regarded prospect.

If he has slid a little it might be Roslo straight up or Connor with the + coming our way. Whatever the exact details I think we are talking 3 prospects in similar territory.

If we switch to some other highly regarded D prospects we are still looking at giving up Roslo or Connor. You have to give to get. And 4 'C' prospects does not get 1'A'.
I've found that fan bases aren't really the best way of judging trade value for players.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
  #80
Mortimer Snerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,529
vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
I have to admit that Petan looks "intimidated" out on the ice right now. I think he's adjusting to the size and speed of the players. He seems sort of "lost" right now. I think with maturity this will change. His had some great scoring chances, and missed most of them, which shows me he's nervous and playing with no confidence.
On the Upside, he's very talented with the puck, and can somewhat control a game and buy time for the wingers to get into position. He's numbers in junior were "excellent" and he could score bigtime, and had tons of assists. These skills don't just go away-"he needs time."
I'd give Nic Petan a little time, and play him with some talented snipers like Kyle Conor, and try and build his confidence. If we let him go now-we'll get next to nothing, and he may turn out to be a real start in the NHL. This is a tough call, but keeping Nic won't hurt, as he's not breaking the bank. I'd keep him for awhile.
I think the important thing there is that he is getting the chances. This in spite of the handicaps he is playing under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
For a guy with the level of puck skills we've seen prior, he's had some rough games in that respect. I don't know if it's an equipment change, confidence issue, scared to make a mistake, or simply mind moving faster than his body but he had a couple of atrocious mishandles last night. That isn't an isolated game either, a guy with his talent and hands should not be having those kinds of issues.
Agree - but - he has certainly been snake bitten. Finally gets a goal and it is off-side. I'm sure he is feeling some pressure as well as plain frustration. I think the saying is 'squeezing the stick a little tight'.

The way he is being used he doesn't get a large number of chances so each one must look big to him right now. Better usage and he would be bound to get a goal eventually and start to relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I've found that fan bases aren't really the best way of judging trade value for players.
No kidding.

This thread is proof of that.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
  #81
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,155
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
For a guy with the level of puck skills we've seen prior, he's had some rough games in that respect. I don't know if it's an equipment change, confidence issue, scared to make a mistake, or simply mind moving faster than his body but he had a couple of atrocious mishandles last night. That isn't an isolated game either, a guy with his talent and hands should not be having those kinds of issues.
Petan looks like a guy who needs to be playing more and he should be either on the Jets, Moose or somewhere else.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:07 AM
  #82
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
Takes smaller guys a while to find their way in the NHL, I'm not sure Petan is being put in the best position at this time tho to find his way. I mean, I guess, I look at a guy like Johnson in Tampa or Gallagher in Montreal or even a guy like Martin St Louis, they were all pretty good players, main difference between them and Petan besides gaining experience, Well, they were put in positions to actually use their attributes to their advantage, Putting a skilled smaller play on the 4th line with Thorburn tho? I mean, that's just wanting the guy to fail. Because he is smaller also, i think he needs some time to really find his game at the NHL level, he hasn't done that yet but he also hasn't exactly had much of a chance with skilled players either, Something that Johnson Gallagher and St Louis did on a regular basis and what made them good players.

This is one of my many complaints about Maurice, his roster decisions are just mind boggling, i don't get why he needs to put Skill players with Plugs, he did it to ehlers last year also.. It just doesn't make much sense to me. I don't see what guys gain playing with scrubs like Thorburn.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:33 PM
  #83
tgo0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
can a player that is exempt from the xd still be exposed. this would solve a lot of problems if we can get vegas to bite on him even if we have to give them an extra pick. would rather keep copp dano or armia. perreault is not going to be exposed . he can actually play hockey.

Can he be exposed? No, but we could trade them Petan for a 6th and a promise to take some nobody if that's a route we wanted to go.

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.