HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

Ottawa U18 Part 4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
  #151
No Skin in the Game
Registered User
 
No Skin in the Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=
Kemptville 73's CCHL up for sale? Next owner is (my pick) Tallman.[/QUOTE]

I thought maybe Jason York, his kid is on that team too...

Too bad about the playoff format, I much prefer a first vs eighth best of 3 or 5 type series.

No Skin in the Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 02:54 PM
  #152
HockeyVolunteer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Too bad about the playoff format, I much prefer a first vs eighth best of 3 or 5 type series.
I agree they need to change the playoff format if they want to improve the image of the organization. The issue, I believe, is that 1v8, 2v7 etc as Qtrs, then Semis then finals, ends up dragging on and put the overall winning team out of the running for the Telus Cup.

Just my thoughts


Last edited by HockeyVolunteer: 03-13-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarification
HockeyVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 02:55 PM
  #153
Easternfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Skin in the Game View Post
I thought maybe Jason York, his kid is on that team too...

Too bad about the playoff format, I much prefer a first vs eighth best of 3 or 5 type series.
Rumour was he bought it last summer but I guess it didn't happen.

Format will probably change for next year because some of the teams that got eliminated will complain and it doesn't look good for league having some of the top prospects out of semis.

40+ game season is enough to justify taking top 8 teams for playoffs only. Maybe season would be more competitive as well if teams know they aren't guaranteed a playoff spot.

Easternfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 02:23 PM
  #154
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
U 18 play-offs

Congratulations to the two teams in the finals.

Work hard, play hard, focus on your next shift not the outcome. Listen to your coach. Trust your teammates. You two teams proved that hard work and team play will beat talent when talent does not work.
Somebody will win, somebody will come in second.
Great year for these two teams kids/players.


Last edited by nothappy: 03-14-2017 at 03:46 PM.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 03:27 PM
  #155
TerryN
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
Congratulations to the two teams in the finals.

Work hard, play hard, focus on your next shift not the outcome. Listen to your coach. Trust your teammates. You two teams proved that hard work and team play will beat talent when talent does not work.
Somebody will win, somebody will come in second.
Great year for these two teams kids/players.
It was a lot of hockey in a short time but we are proud how the entire team stepped up and played hard. Each player found a way to contribute and make a difference. It should be a very competitive series vs Cornwall.

Terry Nichols

TerryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:00 AM
  #156
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
HEO at the OHL Cup

The players from HEO were at a major disadvantage because of the U 18 league they play in. HEO had to play 3 games in less than 24 hours (no favors from the GTHL) at a pace of play and an intensity level our players have not seen this year. The players were exhausted from trying so hard to elevate their game. The kids/players played as hard as they could. Some players will move up in the OHL draft because of their performance and others will drop because of performance and other issues.
Over all I think the players and parents should be proud of the HEO team performance at such an elite tournament.
The president of HEO was at the OHL Cup maybe he will come home and reflect on what could be done on his area to improve hockey above the Bantam AAA level. I can always hope.

nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:44 AM
  #157
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
The players from HEO were at a major disadvantage because of the U 18 league they play in. HEO had to play 3 games in less than 24 hours (no favors from the GTHL) at a pace of play and an intensity level our players have not seen this year. The players were exhausted from trying so hard to elevate their game. The kids/players played as hard as they could. Some players will move up in the OHL draft because of their performance and others will drop because of performance and other issues.
Over all I think the players and parents should be proud of the HEO team performance at such an elite tournament.
The president of HEO was at the OHL Cup maybe he will come home and reflect on what could be done on his area to improve hockey above the Bantam AAA level. I can always hope.
Did you get to see much of Jordan Power for the Young Nationals ? He is an Ottawa kid who left to play Minor Midget in Toronto because of U18.

valleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:20 AM
  #158
Bossman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
The players from HEO were at a major disadvantage because of the U 18 league they play in. HEO had to play 3 games in less than 24 hours (no favors from the GTHL) at a pace of play and an intensity level our players have not seen this year. The players were exhausted from trying so hard to elevate their game. The kids/players played as hard as they could. Some players will move up in the OHL draft because of their performance and others will drop because of performance and other issues.
Over all I think the players and parents should be proud of the HEO team performance at such an elite tournament.
The president of HEO was at the OHL Cup maybe he will come home and reflect on what could be done on his area to improve hockey above the Bantam AAA level. I can always hope.
I was at the tournament. I wasn't that impressed with the group from HEO. I don't like the U18 league but even with the old format i don't see things with the 2001 group being much better.

If they are continuing with U18 next year i think the league needs to make some changes that are in the best interest of the players and not the owners.

Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:42 AM
  #159
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleydude View Post
Did you get to see much of Jordan Power for the Young Nationals ? He is an Ottawa kid who left to play Minor Midget in Toronto because of U18.
I have seen Young Nat's play 6 times this year.
The move was good for Jordan. He will get picked. He would have been picked anyway. He might go higher now, not because of the move but because the Nat's made the final.


Last edited by nothappy: 03-19-2017 at 12:48 PM.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
  #160
Easternfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Just noticed admission to OHL Cup final is free. Will the HEO u18AAA finals be free? If so, then maybe I will take a drive to watch hopefully some good hockey.

Easternfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:55 PM
  #161
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
Just noticed admission to OHL Cup final is free. Will the HEO u18AAA finals be free? If so, then maybe I will take a drive to watch hopefully some good hockey.
The whole OHL Cup is free entry.
I wonder why any youth organization would charge to get into a tournament or games?
Is there anything to be learned from this?


Last edited by nothappy: 03-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
  #162
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
The whole OHL Cup is free entry.
I wonder why any youth organization would charge to get into a tournament or games?
Is there anything to be learned from this?
It's been a long time for me, but last time I went to a GTHL league game it was not free. I recall it being over $10.

valleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:54 PM
  #163
stickhandle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
no charge for gthl games

stickhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 06:42 PM
  #164
valleydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
no charge for gthl games
That is good...I really can't stand paying an entry fee to watch a neighbour or friends kid play minor hockey. It's not like there is a line up to get in !

valleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 11:19 AM
  #165
Easternfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Congratulations to the Cornwall Colts u18AAA team for winning the HEO Championship and good luck in Sudbury. They may not be a flashy team but remind me more of the old New Jersey Devils teams where they minimized opponents on quality chances and took advantages of mistakes make by the other team.
Kemptville 73s u18AAA team should be proud as well since both games went right to final seconds.

Whatever anyone thinks of this league, the players and coaching staff on both teams gave it all they had. Two unexpected teams in this championship and same in OHL Cup.

Easternfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:35 AM
  #166
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
2017 OHL Draft

The OHL draft is April 8th.

How many U 18 players get drafted in rounds 1 to 5 (so top 100 players)?
How many U 18 players total?

Then the OHL has a U18 draft April 12th.
How many U 18 players get drafted?

nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:12 AM
  #167
Easternfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
The OHL draft is April 8th.

How many U 18 players get drafted in rounds 1 to 5 (so top 100 players)?
How many U 18 players total?

Then the OHL has a U18 draft April 12th.
How many U 18 players get drafted?
My guess would be 6 or 7 max in top 100 but probably closer to 4 or 5. Not sure OHL Cup appearance will be enough to bump up the numbers. Total 2001s drafted I would guess 15.

U18 draft, I have no clue. There are some good 2000 players in league but why weren't they drafted last year in late rounds?

Easternfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:10 AM
  #168
TheLastShift
Canada
 
TheLastShift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
My guess would be 6 or 7 max in top 100 but probably closer to 4 or 5. Not sure OHL Cup appearance will be enough to bump up the numbers. Total 2001s drafted I would guess 15.

U18 draft, I have no clue. There are some good 2000 players in league but why weren't they drafted last year in late rounds?
Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.

TheLastShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:24 AM
  #169
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
My guess would be 6 or 7 max in top 100 but probably closer to 4 or 5. Not sure OHL Cup appearance will be enough to bump up the numbers. Total 2001s drafted I would guess 15.

U18 draft, I have no clue. There are some good 2000 players in league but why weren't they drafted last year in late rounds?
If this is true and you are very close to what I would have said.

15 total would be the lowest number of players drafted from HEO/ODHA area in many years.

There could be any as 12 to 15 Midgets drafted from the U 18 league.

Do still think this league is good for our area 15 year olds? I do not.


Last edited by nothappy: Yesterday at 11:38 AM.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:37 AM
  #170
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastShift View Post
Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.
A lot of what you have above is very true but I would say the OHL draft is the first measuring stick. It is just the beginning not the end as some think.
Just so you know the percentage of HEO area OHL drafted players that make the OHL and play games is higher than that of HEO area players drafted in the CCHL bantam draft.
The OHL draft is changing there are more small players taken every year and that number will grow this year. The game has changed.
The two players you talk about above were both gifted but very small at 15 they needed time to grow and develop and at that time the OHL was a big mans game. (Holding and hooking were tolerated ie not called as much.)
It worked out for both those players, they were both asked to play OHL the next year but declined because they had a contract with Hull/Charlie Henry.
They also took your advise and worked their tail off to prove the OHL made a mistake. Good for them.


Last edited by nothappy: Yesterday at 01:52 PM.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:20 PM
  #171
No Skin in the Game
Registered User
 
No Skin in the Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastShift View Post
Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.
Wouldn't the better test be how many PLAY as regulars in the OHL, and during what year of their eligibility? i.e 1st year of eligibility 17 drafted and 4 played a full season, 2 played half a season etc. As much as being drafted is exciting and is a badge of honour it means nothing if you never set foot on the ice...

No Skin in the Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:37 PM
  #172
Shady67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
If this is true and you are very close to what I would have said.

15 total would be the lowest number of players drafted from HEO/ODHA area in many years.

There could be any as 12 to 15 Midgets drafted from the U 18 league.

Do still think this league is good for our area 15 year olds? I do not.
Yes but is that not that primarily due to the number of players who bolted for the 'greener pastures' of the G? How many former HEO 01's are down there and will be drafted next month...

Shady67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:42 PM
  #173
nothappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady67 View Post
Yes but is that not that primarily due to the number of players who bolted for the 'greener pastures' of the G? How many former HEO 01's are down there and will be drafted next month...
6 left that I know of and only 3 are assured of getting drafted.

nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:52 PM
  #174
Shady67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
6 left that I know of and only 3 are assured of getting drafted.
Has to be tough on a kid and family to uproot to the G at 14 and 15 only to be bypassed in the draft.

Does this U18 format survive past next season.

Shady67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:04 PM
  #175
Shady67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastShift View Post
Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.
on topic of OC. He's had a damn good rookie season in Niagra. Curious to see if he gets a late round look in the June draft . He'll be absolutely youngest player with that Sept 15 DOB and definitely some upside there

Shady67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.