HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Race for the Metro win: We're #2! We're #2!

Old
03-20-2017, 04:21 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
If Wash can find 2 wins against Calgary and CBJ, I think they run free to the finish line. Minnesota is not on their "A" game and Zona, Col, Zona is 3-0 without even questioning it.
Minnesota is about to start winning some hockey games again. No way this continues. That game at Minny will be tough for the Caps.

Same can be said about the Pens. Letīs win our next 2 games which are on the road and then we will get healthy bodies back and play NYI and PHI at home...

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:49 AM
molon labe

Would really like to see the Pens push hard at the end of the season this year - above all other years.

A CBJ/WAS first round would be marvelous. They both can goon it up against one another with Cinderella stories from the media pumping both fan bases and officiating.

This might just be a year for Sid/Geno to make story lines about the two-headed monster vice a team with great depth.

molon labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:37 AM
ncm7772

I hate to be so negative and not trying to stir the pot, but I still loathe the Pens' chances vs Washington or CBJ. I think if they can get EVERYONE back by the last week of the regular season, bring 'em the eff on. Otherwise, super nervous.

ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:00 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

We were all hesitant to admit or even think that we could win a Cup last year too. Remember how many of us said "at least we made it to the post-season" last year against the Rangers, expecting them to eliminate us? Especially after Zatkoff made his start?

The point isn't that it's going to be easy-- it's that every year we underestimate our chances because we don't want to get our hopes up. It's just the flipside of the homer coin where we expect to repeat just because we're Cup champions. A loss is going to suck regardless, but no sense in being fatalistic IMO. We've got just as good of a shot as anyone, regardless of who we draw. And make no mistake, we're going to have to go through the toughest teams in the East anyway, if we're going to repeat.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
We were all hesitant to admit or even think that we could win a Cup last year too. Remember how many of us said "at least we made it to the post-season" last year against the Rangers, expecting them to eliminate us? Especially after Zatkoff made his start?

The point isn't that it's going to be easy-- it's that every year we underestimate our chances because we don't want to get our hopes up. It's just the flipside of the homer coin where we expect to repeat just because we're Cup champions. A loss is going to suck regardless, but no sense in being fatalistic IMO. We've got just as good of a shot as anyone, regardless of who we draw. And make no mistake, we're going to have to go through the toughest teams in the East anyway, if we're going to repeat.
Agreed, it's definitely not going to be an easy task to get it done this year, there are better teams in the East this season.
Honestly we all have different opinions and all, but I'm mostly overall very surprised at how great we have played this year despite all the injuries and the fact that these guys have so much hockey in them since last June.
And let's be honest, now one could have predicted a season like that to Columbus, so take them out and we're right behind the Caps as expected despite them having what, 15 man game misses compared to us?

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Health is more important than winning the division so I don't want people playing hurt to try to get it but having said that home ice is ridiculously important for the Pens this year. Unless you think the playoffs will suddenly turn around our poor road record then it becomes very important to grab at least the 2 seed. Especially since if we do finish 2nd we're playing a team that is arguably as good as we are in Washington or Columbus.

We wouldnt' be doomed if we finished third but I'd be worried.
The catch 22 is that we need to ease off to get healthy and ready for playoffs, but need an easier first round as well, for the same reasons.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:48 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Part of me says that winning the Stanley Cup means you will have to face 4 dominant teams and it will be all out war no matter which team you face so who cares.

The other part of me believes that going through Toronto in the first round and letting the Caps and Jackets beat the hell out of each other is the best odds for a repeat.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:15 AM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Part of me says that winning the Stanley Cup means you will have to face 4 dominant teams and it will be all out war no matter which team you face so who cares.

The other part of me believes that going through Toronto in the first round and letting the Caps and Jackets beat the hell out of each other is the best odds for a repeat.
I'd say at least one easier series is big for winning the cup, tbh. For a fragile team trying to repeat and after the WC for some of the players I'd say that the Pens absolutely need to avoid wear and tear as much as possible.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:19 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Metro with a day off here. Looks like we can follow the Boston game and hope Marchand doesn't score.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:30 AM
pistolpete11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
I'd say at least one easier series is big for winning the cup, tbh. For a fragile team trying to repeat and after the WC for some of the players I'd say that the Pens absolutely need to avoid wear and tear as much as possible.
I was going to say this, too. Isn't there something about Stanley Cup winners almost always having a 5-game or fewer series on their run?

pistolpete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Metro with a day off here. Looks like we can follow the Boston game and hope Marchand doesn't score.
Indeed. Sid getting the hatty was huge in BOTH races. Marchand is good and all, but 3 goals is a lot to make up all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
I think we have to get that one easy match up somewhere. Washington and Columbus will both want to extract revenge on us for 2009/2016 and 2013.

Going through one will be hard enough...two? Holy hell...then considering there are 2 more series after that? Tall order. Tall friggin order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete11 View Post
I was going to say this, too. Isn't there something about Stanley Cup winners almost always having a 5-game or fewer series on their run?
We did 5-6-7-6 last year so...I suppose we fall into that. Didn't LA do four 7-game series in 2012 or 2014?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:52 AM
pistolpete11

Quote:
We did 5-6-7-6 last year so...I suppose we fall into that. Didn't LA do four 7-game series in 2012 or 2014?
In 13-14, the Kings had 3 series that went 7 games, but they won the Cup in 5 games. In 11-12, they went 5-4-5-6.

2016 - Pens beat Rangers in 5
2015 - Blackhawks swept the Wild
2014 - Kings beat Rangers in 5
2013 - Blackhawks beat the Wild in 5
2012 - Kings swept the Blues
2011 - Bruins swept the Flyers
2010 - Blackhawks swept the Sharks
2009 - Pens swept the Hurricanes
2008 - Wings swept the Avs

I don't feel like going back any further...but I think I've made my point

Last edited by pistolpete11; 03-20-2017 at 10:59 AM..
pistolpete11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Jaded-Fan

As long as the team has one of these installed they should be fine no matter what happens.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post

Going along this point, I think we also doubt the Penguins even though the core has won 2 Cups and give every benefit of the doubt to teams like Washington and Columbus who haven't even come close to winning. That's certainly not to say the Penguins would steamroll one or both teams in a playoff series, but I think we need to realize that like the Penguins, those teams aren't perfect and have flaws of their own.

Or we can follow Cole's example and totally lose our **** each time the Penguins lose a preseason game to the Blue Jackets.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As long as the team has one of these installed they should be fine no matter what happens.

I just wanna make the playoffs healthy. I'd also like to finish 1st to avoid 2 rounds of hell but if we were destined for the cup we would win it going through the 2 big teams of the East.

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:42 PM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Hey Cole was just trying to get into mid-season form months early.
We gotta train that ****. That's why I'm a snarky ******** in all of the off-season threads. Gotta keep my chops up.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

I do not hope that we avoid the Caps because I am afraid of them. I hope that we avoid the Caps because the GDT's will be pure hell. I actually enjoyed the threads on the main board, and here, for every series but that one. I even made an exception to my usual keep away from opposing team's boards, and visited briefly to a couple of boards. The Rangers' board in particular was really great.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post

Or we can follow Cole's example and totally lose our **** each time the Penguins lose a preseason game to the Blue Jackets.
Come on! I called that. I saw a team that looked the part... and you promised they were just pre-season champs. I blame you for all of this.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Chasing #3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Indeed. Sid getting the hatty was huge in BOTH races. Marchand is good and all, but 3 goals is a lot to make up all things considered.
Actually, for all intents and purposes, Crosby's got a 4-goal lead on Marchand. Because even if Marchand ends up tying him, Sid still gets the Richard (as does Marchand), like when Sid tied Stamkos back in 2010.

Sid's also got a bit of an edge in that regard over McDavid, Marchand, and Kane for the Art Ross. Sid doesn't have to beat them, he just has to keep pace with them. They all actually have to beat Sid by 1 point or more to win it. Sid takes it even if he ties any of them in points.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Winger for Hire
Burn Your Hero!

I'm having horrible flashbacks to the 2015 MLB season when the best 3 teams in the league were in the NL Central and had to murder each other just to get to the NLCS.

Winger for Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
We just need to keep winning, that's all we can do.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We just need to keep winning, that's all we can do.
Unfortunately, Geno is not back at Buffalo and neither is Rust. Another uphill battle upcoming. We can maybe win some games with this lineup at home, but winning with this lineup on the road is a big ask. Seriously, even 2 points out of those BUF and OTT games would be acceptable because that would at least keep us in contention. I am just afraid that these next 2 road games are gonna hurt our chances even more. Once we are at home again, we will get some key players back and start a final push.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Unfortunately, Geno is not back at Buffalo and neither is Rust. Another uphill battle upcoming. We can maybe win some games with this lineup at home, but winning with this lineup on the road is a big ask. Seriously, even 2 points out of those BUF and OTT games would be acceptable because that would at least keep us in contention. I am just afraid that these next 2 road games are gonna hurt our chances even more. Once we are at home again, we will get some key players back and start a final push.
I think we will get by the Sabres, but lose in OT to the Sens.

4-3 Pens over Sabres
3-2 Sens over Pens

Old
03-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-30-33 View Post
I think we will get by the Sabres, but lose in OT to the Sens.

4-3 Pens over Sabres
3-2 Sens over Pens
Well, 3 points would be fantastic. If we can do it, I would start to believe in the very best finish. Dont think we can, though.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:17 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Well, 3 points would be fantastic. If we can do it, I would start to believe in the very best finish. Dont think we can, though.
Aslong as we get good goaltending and GCS dominate, Kessel keeps getting points on the LW (1+1 in 2 games so far) I think it will be closer then you think. We have gotten by so far, it may continue for a little longer.