HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bad Granlund Phenomenon Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHemty View Post
Before he was put with the Sedins he was invisible,(Obviously he capitalized on his chances, but even then that made me shake my head, but i was okay with it and happy for him) i just didn't see the effort. When he was put with the twins you obviously noticed him because of the players hes playing with, but you could see his energy and jump when he was out there with them. That's just my take on him this year. Overall i hope he succeeds for us in the future.
When I stopped watching, he was already put with the Sedins. Any improvement in the last 5 or so games?

I liked the way he played in preseason, but haven't liked the way he's played since.

Last edited by Shareefruck; 03-20-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Old
03-20-2017, 03:59 PM
racerjoe

Very Curious to me for a few reasons.

1) As mentioned the timing is just odd

2)Botch had mentioned a mystery player who had a season long wrist injury... is this it?

3)With the current "health department" of the team now being rest and rehab first surgery last resort, I do wonder how this all went down.

hope more comes out.

Now hopefully this thread will slow down, for a while.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Very Curious to me for a few reasons.

1) As mentioned the timing is just odd

2)Botch had mentioned a mystery player who had a season long wrist injury... is this it?

3)With the current "health department" of the team now being rest and rehab first surgery last resort, I do wonder how this all went down.

hope more comes out.

Now hopefully this thread will slow down, for a while.
I think it's pretty safe to answer "yes" to #2.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I think it's pretty safe to answer "yes" to #2.
Probably, but they way he was talking about it, sounded like something with a player that was disappointing, and not a player who at least from the team standpoint is doing very well.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Cupless44

I will step aside from the tiring debate for a minute to throw the guys some props for playing pretty decently through an injured wrist that requires surgery and has bothered him all season long

Old
03-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Knight53
Franchise D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter10 View Post
RIP to the 2-3 posters who bump this thread every time he scores

Old
03-20-2017, 04:59 PM
thepoeticgoblin

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupless44 View Post
I will step aside from the tiring debate for a minute to throw the guys some props for playing pretty decently through an injured wrist that requires surgery and has bothered him all season long
Yup. 19 goals are 19 goals. Especially on this team. Not an amazing player by any stretch but a decent one. IMO.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoeticgoblin View Post
Yup. 19 goals are 19 goals. Especially on this team. Not an amazing player by any stretch but a decent one. IMO.
It's a shame we didn't have any good players that we could focus our attention on over Granlund and his 19 goal season.

Like Kyle Wellwood had an 18 goal season, but was on a team with a 30 goal scorer and 4 20+ goal scorers.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:38 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight53 View Post
And the ones who say he still sucks. He could score 40 goals and the same certain posters would say look at the analytics about how bad he is.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
mathonwy
#LindenMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancuks View Post
You know you have lowered expectations when you're missing a 19 goal scorer and claim he has provided "entertainment" this season.
Well... I find this discussion pretty entertaining...

Old
03-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
And the ones who say he still sucks. He could score 40 goals and the same certain posters would say look at the analytics about how bad he is.
what if the analytics were good

Old
03-20-2017, 06:15 PM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
It was a bad trade at the time.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Bowie Horvat
BowieYzermanFanatic

vCash: 53
dman cant imagine how many goals he wouldve had with a wrist injury all year

Old
03-20-2017, 06:44 PM
The Drop
Rain Drop, Drop Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight53 View Post
Win.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:45 PM
The Drop
Rain Drop, Drop Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
Then plenty of people (including myself) would be agreeing with those that act like this player is something special

Old
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
pilkos pump pant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie Horvat View Post
93 you'd have to assume

Old
03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
rune74

Too bad he's out hopefully the wrist heals and he continues to develop next year.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
The Drop
Rain Drop, Drop Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilkos pump pant View Post
93 you'd have to assume
I'd say that's probably realistic.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:56 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie Horvat View Post
His wrist was probably the only thing stopping him from shooting 50% or better.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
My prediction is that he struggles next year. He may get gifted a 2nd line spot at the beginning of the year, but he'll be ineffective. People will excuse him because of the wrist surgery, but in reality it'll just be the regression that informed people have predicted all season.
Is this your prediction... or your hope so that you will be proven right in the end?

Old
03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Paulinvancouver
Benning Supporter

Finally!!

They should have allowed him to go get surgery on it back in December. What a rough year for granny.

Better late than never I guess.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
ProstheticConscience
Lui Lui ohh ohhhh...

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
More ********. Remember how everyone was up in arms about the Burrows and Hansen deals because we're all in the echo chamber of hatred regarding anything Benning does because we all want to be right?

Oh yeah. Something else that didn't happen.

IMHO, Granlund is a symptom of the disease. How we got him, why we got him, the tons and tons and tons of icetime, and the celebration of a guy who might have topped 20 goals and 35 points as a 23 year-old. I mean, this is the guy we're championing as a front-line player moving forward? Seriously? On a good team, he wouldn't be good enough offensively for the top six or good enough defensively for the bottom six. You like this guy moving forward, you're settling on hopeless mediocrity unless he massively improves. And that's been a key failing of both the Benning regime and his supporters here: the refusal to believe not everyone the team acquires is absolutely positively going to show terrific improvement next year, two seasons from now, three seasons from now. That's happening a lot less often than they seem to realize.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:50 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinvancouver View Post
Finally!!

They should have allowed him to go get surgery on it back in December. What a rough year for granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinvancouver View Post
Finally!!

You wonder about that. Not sure when he was hurt (seems like it might have been all season) but if it was that long ago then seemingly negligent on the club's part to leave it go for so long

Kudos to Granlund for hanging in with the injury and having the season he did. It exceeded expectations and established his NHL credentials. Be an instant pick if left unavailable in the Expansion draft. Not that the team has much else to offer.

Far as next year goes I'm hoping that Granlund gets moved back to center where I believe he can be most effective. Indeed, I think this year they should have tried to work towards being that good third line center I think he might become.

Seems to me, WD is constantly making short term decisions to just get by and not looking to the future. Moving Granlund to the wing and not allowing him to develop as a center is IMO one of them.

Far as the argument over Granlund development goes I say revisit this next season. Some have said he is developing into a decent NHL player, others say he is garbage and far too weak and gun shy to ever develop. Hopefully both sides are willing to come back next season and admit they are wrong based on Granlund's play.

Drop - apparently you think my earlier post in this thread on analytics is jibberish. I think if you want any credibility it is your obligation to go back and explain exactly why that is true. Maybe it is and if so, then it should be easy for you to point out why. If you are not going to do this have to presume you can't and are just trolling.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Fictional Realism
What is going on?

vCash: 894
I'd agree the timing on this is odd. If he has a long-term injury he definitely should have been shutdown earlier this season. Ongoing trend of injury mismanagement with this team.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:05 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
You wonder about that. Not sure when he was hurt (seems like it might have been all season) but if it was that long ago then seemingly negligent on the club's part to leave it go for so long

Kudos to Granlund for hanging in with the injury and having the season he did. It exceeded expectations and established his NHL credentials. Be an instant pick if left unavailable in the Expansion draft. Not that the team has much else to offer.

Far as next year goes I'm hoping that Granlund gets moved back to center where I believe he can be most effective. Indeed, I think this year they should have tried to work towards being that good third line center I think he might become.

Seems to me, WD is constantly making short term decisions to just get by and not looking to the future. Moving Granlund to the wing and not allowing him to develop as a center is IMO one of them.

Far as the argument over Granlund development goes I say revisit this next season. Some have said he is developing into a decent NHL player, others say he is garbage and far too weak and gun shy to ever develop. Hopefully both sides are willing to come back next season and admit they are wrong based on Granlund's play.

Drop - apparently you think my earlier post in this thread on analytics is jibberish. I think if you want any credibility it is your obligation to go back and explain exactly why that is true. Maybe it is and if so, then it should be easy for you to point out why. If you are not going to do this have to presume you can't and are just trolling.
It's jibberish because you refuse to explain how .4 takaway per game has any actual meaning. It's completely useless and the fact you are trying to extract meaning from it shows how much of a agenda you have. So much for trying to paint yourself as someone with a moral high ground.

Closed Thread