HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kane/Toews join elite company

Old
03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Wow, quite the accomplishment. Four things stuck out at me:

1: Only the 6th pair to do it. Thought there would be more.

2: It's been almost 30 years since the last time it was done

3: The quality of the players that have done it is remarkable.

4: Kane/Toews did it with their rookie year and a lockout-shortened year mixed in! Insane how good and consistent that pair has been.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:45 PM
AustenMarner*

Is there a record for 3 players?

My guess is Marner, Nylander and Matthews do this in about 9 years. 3 is even more impressive.

AustenMarner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Treb

vCash: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Crosby/Malkin, Ovechkin/Backstrom, Thornton/Marleau, Sedin/Sedin, Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

I don't see their names here.
Crosby-Malkin
Crosby has 10/12 but the concussions were in the 7th (22 games) and 8th (36 games) year.
Malkin has 9/11 but injuries got in the way in the 5th (43 games) and 7th (31 games) seasons.

Ovechkin-Backstrom
Ovechkin has 12/12.
Backstrom 4/10 because he doesn't score goals.

Thornton-Marleau
Thornton hasn't scored 20 in the last 6 years, so he scored 20 in only half of his seasons in SJ. I don't even know why you would think about Thornton in a goalscoring record

Sedin/Sedin:
Henrik had 2/16 20 goals season. Again, why are you thinking of him for a goalscoring record?

Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Datsyuk only had 8/14.
Zetterberg also 8/14.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg is your only legit example (unless you count Crosby/Malkin because injuries are part of the game).

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
authentic

That is pretty cool. Another stat that helps back up their top 100 players of all time status

authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
All this tells me is that they're fairly durable

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroArrow View Post
I will never understand the Toews hate on these boards. Good for both of them, especially impressive to do it in this era of hockey
People hate him not only because he's a mediocre statistical idol, but also because he plays a "basic" looking game. He doesn't have that high end flashiness.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke749 View Post
A lot has to go right for this to happen.
There's no doubt that a great deal of luck is involved for both players to stay healthy enough to not miss a large chunk of a season to break the consecutive years. But still I'm amazed it hasn't happened more than 6 times over 100 seasons and of the 5 sets of duos before Toews/Kane - every one of those guys is in the Hall of Fame. You would think somewhere along the way some good player who didn't rise to the level of HOF would be paired up with a Mats Sundin or Marcel Dionne or someone.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:01 PM
TK
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
Again, why are you thinking of him for a goalscoring record?
Two reasons.

I was simply naming "star duos" that I could think of.

Also, according to this thread, 20 goals is a measly amount and shouldn't be that hard to get.

Durability shouldn't be scoffed at as well.

03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
x Tame Impala

Not a mega-impressive accomplishment but a very cool one nonetheless. Especially when you consider where the Hawks were 11-15 years ago and compare it to where they are now. I think this stat simply shows how influential they've been in the success of the Hawks and it's something I, as a Hawks fan, am really appreciative of

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
People hate him not only because he's a mediocre statistical idol, but also because he plays a "basic" looking game. He doesn't have that high end flashiness.
hmmm ... "mediocre statistical idol" ... not exactly sure what that means but it seems to imply he's just an average offensive player. For his career, he has a 0.87ppg average in the regular season and a 0.90ppg average in the playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but that seems better than average or mediocre. I've watched all but a handful of Toews games over the years and there been plenty of flashy goals so I'm not sure where you get the info to form your opinion.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Plural

vCash: 50
Meh, it's more about luck than anything. Not too impressive record IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustenMarner View Post

My guess is Marner, Nylander and Matthews do this in about 9 years. 3 is even more impressive.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:17 PM
SimpleJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone15 View Post
There's some records I don't understand why we care about. This is one of them.

2 elite players (teammates) score a measly 20 goals a season. That's not a very high benchmark, is it?
Obviously it is....which is why this is only the 6th time it has ever happened...

Or did you not catch that part?

SimpleJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Daeni10
Kunitz was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustenMarner View Post

They will be the first 3 players to hit 50 goals for 10 years straight

Daeni10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Hambone15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Obviously it is....which is why this is only the 6th time it has ever happened...

Only because the odds of being on the same team for 10 years aren't great. There is nothing special about this other than the fact that the GM didn't **** up for 10 years.

Edit: also that they stayed healthy. Also I'm love both toews and Kane. Just fail to see anything particularly record worthy of this "record"

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:23 PM
SimpleJack

I just can't wrap my head around the level of disrespect Kane and Toews(particularly Toews) get from all these salty fans of other teams...

Its very petty

I figured that there would be more fans of hockey in general that know how to recognize and properly acknowledge greatness.

Instead its a bunch of "OMG so what that's not even a big deal. I still can't believe these guys are so overrated blah blah blah".

Gimme a break.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Plural

Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around the level of disrespect Kane and Toews(particularly Toews) get from all these salty fans of other teams...

Its very petty

I figured that there would be more fans of hockey in general that know how to recognize and properly acknowledge greatness.

Instead its a bunch of "OMG so what that's not even a big deal. I still can't believe these guys are so overrated blah blah blah".

Gimme a break.
I absolutely love Kane. I think he's one of the best active players in the world. Toews is also great but he tends to get bit overrated by the media.

But this record is pretty trivial. The fact that it's only 6th time to happen tells more about injuries and players being traded than consistency on high level. 20 goals is good and it's noteworthy to mention the record. But it's really not that impressive one. Feels fabricated and forced in my opinion.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Eowin

You never know, but they may hit 20 years.

Eowin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:34 PM
SimpleJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
I absolutely love Kane. I think he's one of the best active players in the world. Toews is also great but he tends to get bit overrated by the media.

But this record is pretty trivial. The fact that it's only 6th time to happen tells more about injuries and players being traded than consistency on high level. 20 goals is good and it's noteworthy to mention the record. But it's really not that impressive one. Feels fabricated and forced in my opinion.
Exactly...there are plenty of things that can go wrong. The fact that an organization has A. held on to 2 players of that caliber for that long, and B. those players remained that productive and that durable for that long = a very impressive accomplishment. For the players individually, and for the organization.

Diminishing it in any way is silly. "Oh, its only because they got lucky and stayed healthy and had their front office keep them together and happened to be that consistent." Well guess what...that's a BIG deal. Rarely ever happens in team sports.

Focusing on 20 goals in a vacuum takes focus off of how impressive the longevity of the situation has been. Again, both the players and the front office deserve credit. Its been a hell of a ride that you rarely ever see.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:34 PM
snag

*nm*

snag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Plural

Quote:
Exactly...there are plenty of things that can go wrong. The fact that an organization has A. held on to 2 players of that caliber for that long, and B. those players remained that productive and that durable for that long = a very impressive accomplishment. For the players individually, and for the organization.

Diminishing it in any way is silly. "Oh, its only because they got lucky and stayed healthy and had their front office keep them together and happened to be that consistent." Well guess what...that's a BIG deal. Rarely ever happens in team sports.

Focusing on 20 goals in a vacuum takes focus off of how impressive the longevity of the situation has been. Again, both the players and the front office deserve credit. Its been a hell of a ride that you rarely ever see.
Fair enough. I think it speaks more about luck than anything. It's a record with specific parameters that involve luck more than player accomplishment.

How many players have scored 20 goals in 10 consecutive seasons? If those are all first ballot Hall of Famers I'd be more inclined to call this a meaningful award. But as it stands, it sounds more like a forced trivial record.

Edit: By watching the names on this list (not all of them scored 20 consecutive seasons but a lot did) I don't think scoring 20 goals 10 times is at all that impressive. Like I said, pretty trivial accomplishment.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by=goals

Last edited by Plural: 03-20-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Krisbryantisbest
@KBIB2311

This is a ridiculous accomplishment the hive mind on these forums will try to discredit.

Made more impressive that these two have been restricted by a salary cap, you might not ever see this again.

Maybe those who rightfully chose K/T as two of the greatest players ever were looking at more stats then the hive minders who are refreshing Hockey reference or Yahoo, perhaps? 😂😂😂

Krisbryantisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Treb

vCash: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK View Post
Two reasons.

I was simply naming "star duos" that I could think of.

Also, according to this thread, 20 goals is a measly amount and shouldn't be that hard to get.

Durability shouldn't be scoffed at as well.
It is indeed an impressive feat.

But a lot of it is due to luck/durability and star players staying or not with the same team for 10+ year.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
Quote:

Its very petty

Gimme a break.
I don't know why you would ever think that would be the case.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:10 PM
ohcomeonref

Quote:

Its very petty

Gimme a break.
Ramming this obscure record down people's throats is not going to help your argument. I doubt Kane and Toews are even aware of this record.

Edit: Toews and Kane are amazing players without anyone having to acknowledge this record; this feat doesn't really affect their legacy in any meaningful way when held up to their multiple cups and other accomplishments.

ohcomeonref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:12 PM
bring back the jets

who the hell is norm ullman?

bring back the jets is offline   Reply With Quote