HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tortorella Cheats on the Penalty Shot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2017, 06:35 PM
  #126
Optimus Reim
PanthersFan11
 
Optimus Reim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 540
I thought it was funny, but if it happened to my team i'd be angry.

Optimus Reim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
  #127
Ovechclutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Coach of the year

Ovechclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
  #128
drinko2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
So, Torts wanted the 11 goal scorer to take the shot over the 16 goal scorer ???? Brilliant !!!!

drinko2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
  #129
Sens of Anarchy
Registered User
 
Sens of Anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 500
Too bad. Sore wrist.. sore finger.. its all good

Sens of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:06 AM
  #130
Panthaz89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Buffalo,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
It wouldn't really look so cheap if they didn't send out Gagner at first.

Panthaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:31 AM
  #131
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
The fact that Anderson didn't go down the tunnel for any particular reason.... and he hovered around with a big smile/is outrageous. Seems like a pretty silly situation, in that it seems like there really is no rule against it or seems to be no rule on what player takes the penalty shot if X player can't. I mean if Hyman was on a Penalty shot and fell to the ice, and faked an injury and Matthews rolled out for the shot... I'd understand why the opposing team would be pissed.

Maybe if X forward is hurt on a Penalty shot opportunity, the opposing coach can pick a player who was on the line to take it (can't be a defender).

At least this way, the home team gets the ultimate choice, but they can't fake it and send out Joe penalty shot expert.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:35 AM
  #132
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 72,925
vCash: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
I noticed there wasn't a thread on this, not sure if it's just my opinion but thought I'd bring it up.

In the Columbus - New Jersey game, Josh Anderson was awarded a penalty shot. Tortorella faked that there was an injury and that Anderson could not take the penalty shot. Anderson quickly went to hide in the tunnel, pretending he was injured, and as soon as Dubinsky scored the penalty shot goal, Josh Anderson came back out to the bench immediately.

Should this not be looked into? I don't think it's right at all.

Newsflash. Not the first to do it

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:41 AM
  #133
Caps8112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
the hard part for those wanting discipline is how do you determine who is not hurt, who is hurt, who is slightly hurt or who is hurt but able to play. You hear about guys playing all the time with wrist injuries but they can still pass and play defense. Penalty shot requires full movement of the wrist the way the players today dangle. Just an example


* watching replay above, why was he even given one. No clear step on Dman

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:51 AM
  #134
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,899
vCash: 500
It's only illegal if you get caught

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 06:10 AM
  #135
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
the hard part for those wanting discipline is how do you determine who is not hurt, who is hurt, who is slightly hurt or who is hurt but able to play. You hear about guys playing all the time with wrist injuries but they can still pass and play defense. Penalty shot requires full movement of the wrist the way the players today dangle. Just an example


* watching replay above, why was he even given one. No clear step on Dman
I see what your saying. Maybe a solution would be to give the option for the team to choose Penalty shot or Powerplay? If he's too hurt to take the Penalty Shot, give the team a Powerplay.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:10 AM
  #136
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
At least this way, the home team gets the ultimate choice, but they can't fake it and send out Joe penalty shot expert.
Dubinsky = Joe Penalty Shot Expert

Prior to Sunday's game:
  • His last shootout attempt was 2015
  • He had only 4 shootout/penalty shot goals in his CAREER
  • He had a 36% career shooting percentage on SO/PS goals

I'd be laughing on the bench too seeing Dubi score a PS goal vs Schneider. It was hilarious.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:51 AM
  #137
Rick74
Registered User
 
Rick74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
He wasnt 100% so why should he take it? It wasnt cheating, please just stop.
If the player can't take the penalty shot two things happen;

- he is out for the rest of the game
- opposing team picks the player that gets to take the shot that was on the ice during the infraction.

Rick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 10:57 AM
  #138
madinsomniac
Registered User
 
madinsomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 6,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick74 View Post
If the player can't take the penalty shot two things happen;

- he is out for the rest of the game
- opposing team picks the player that gets to take the shot that was on the ice during the infraction.
Meh every penalty shot should have the option of declining it for a two minute power play, and if the guy who is taking the shot physically cannot, just opt for the PP

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  #139
Rick74
Registered User
 
Rick74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
Meh every penalty shot should have the option of declining it for a two minute power play, and if the guy who is taking the shot physically cannot, just opt for the PP
Yeah I'm ok with that.

We certainly don't need to ever see someone on the bench laughing as they pulled a fast one through exploiting the rules blatantly...


Last edited by Rick74: 03-21-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Rick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:18 PM
  #140
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Torts didn't cheat, Anderson apparently complained of an injury. Prior to this, Torts let Sedlak take his penalty shot. Sedlak is ok but he is a 4th liner who just returned from injury. The Jackets were up 2-1. No reason to cheat and risk being disciplined.
Dear lord....Drink the Kool-Aid deep cuz, GASP! Why oh why would someone ever have cause to question the character of one of the biggest D-Bag's to ever grace (Or in JT's case, a decisive fall from grace...several times over) the professional coaching ranks?
(And now here come the stories about what a great guy he is because he is helping out a kid, involved in charities, etc. And those facts are commendable and generous and they still don't change the fact that the guy is a prideful blowhard who is to self absorbed to see that people don't respond well when you treat them like dirt because you assume that they too, think that you are just as special as you clearly think that you are.
Because when you are special, things like decorum and respect only apply to those whom aren't special. And when you are special, you can give your slanted and degrading "opinion" and tear into anybody and anything and you DON'T have to worry with those minor things like, truth and hypocrisy. Those are for other people as it is far more important for you to rip everyone else to build up your fragile and immature ego through this image that you have of yourself, which, is so far out from the truth of how most others see you that you might as well be a democratic media pundit in this past election, so sure that the rest of the world see's things in a 'special' way. Just like Jonny does.

Oh, and how about when somebody actually stands up and throws the same barbs Jon Jon's way with the same vitriol. Does he digest it? Reflect on it? Maybe ask if there is a hint of truth?
Nah, screw that! Those who are far to awesome to inconvenience themselves with having to listen to a not so awesome person have the audacity to question your awesomeness...especially if their hair contains not one single spray pump of geri curl activator in it.
So lets show how brilliant we are and defeat such obvious bias criticism with logic and reason.
ORRRRR, we can instead throw such a temper tantrum and show the world how somebody special can rival that of any 2 year old (He is of course, way better than any two year old at anything a two year old can do...wanna put that to the test? Just bring your kid and name the time and the place Buddy boy and he'll show that punk who is who and what is what!) and exactly how a grown man and a leader of millionaires shows his maturity as well as a brilliant grip on his emotions and control.

Somebody so incredible like that would never cheat. It was clearly all Anderson.


Last edited by stardog: 03-21-2017 at 03:24 PM.
stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:21 PM
  #141
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,096
vCash: 1020
I feel like this is the sort of thing where, as a matter of due diligence, the league needs to do at least a minor investigation. Talk to the coach, the player, and the trainer. See if they've got the same story about what happened. In particular, grill the trainer on exactly what kept the player off the ice. Find out what was said to the ref. Make sure all the stories line up.

If there's nothing there, then carry on. But if something raises a flag, there needs to be consequences. There's a difference between gamesmanship and outright cheating, and you don't want coaches trying to figure out where that line is with stunts that could change the outcome of a game.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:12 PM
  #142
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,435
vCash: 50
bench audio and video showing how it unfolded here:

https://www.facebook.com/bluejackets...4658323648918/

Standard Torts criticism and Devils ******** aside, I don't see how any of the stuff about Anderson is debatable as being outside the rules in any way. Gagner going out? Yeah, I get that. Who knows, but it's up to the refs to figure this out. It's no different than a guy trying to sneak on after an icing or a player breaking his stick to buy time....part of the game.

As a CBJ fan, I would've rather had Anderson take it anyway and I imagine the coaching staff felt the same way. I get that HFB blowhards love to hate Torts, but this is a stupid thread.

__________________
--
"Good night, good hockey...good riddance to the Columbus cannon that makes your ears bleed." - @BroadStBull (Sam Carchidi, Flyers beat reporter)
SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:45 PM
  #143
Eric Sachs
Registered User
 
Eric Sachs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Japan
Posts: 17,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
bench audio and video showing how it unfolded here:

https://www.facebook.com/bluejackets...4658323648918/

Standard Torts criticism and Devils ******** aside, I don't see how any of the stuff about Anderson is debatable as being outside the rules in any way. Gagner going out? Yeah, I get that. Who knows, but it's up to the refs to figure this out. It's no different than a guy trying to sneak on after an icing or a player breaking his stick to buy time....part of the game.

As a CBJ fan, I would've rather had Anderson take it anyway and I imagine the coaching staff felt the same way. I get that HFB blowhards love to hate Torts, but this is a stupid thread.
I like how the bench audio skips the 2 minutes where Torts tried to send out Gagner despite being told explicitly that it had to be a player who was on the ice.

Injury is a fine claim. It seems fishy the way they did it but there's nothing you can do about it.. if someone says they injured, it is what it is. Sending out Gagner is annoying as ****, especially when told explicitly what the rules are. I'd be in favor of this being a delay of game penalty, and should be similar if you send the wrong player to the penalty box. It's not part of the game. It's annoying and unnecessary. It just prolongs the game for no reason as the refs have to go and review now..

How exactly is breaking the rules by having a player sneak on after an icing part of the game? That's like saying slashing is part of the game. Sure, it is.. but it's also against the rules.

There's no reason to be defensive as an CBJ fan. This has nothing to do with the team or the coach, so I fail to see why lots of CBJ fans where want to turn it into that. You're just feeding the very stereotype that you claim you are trying to fight.. this would be a thread regardless of who it happened to.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:52 PM
  #144
ALP21
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Anybody who's played/coached organized hockey for any extended length of time should know that a substitute shooter for a penalty shot has to be on the ice. I've seen it happen a handful of times in minor hockey and high school hockey games that i've played in here in the US.

ALP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 04:56 PM
  #145
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 930
vCash: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
Dear lord....Drink the Kool-Aid deep cuz, GASP! Why oh why would someone ever have cause to question the character of one of the biggest D-Bag's to ever grace (Or in JT's case, a decisive fall from grace...several times over) the professional coaching ranks?
(And now here come the stories about what a great guy he is because he is helping out a kid, involved in charities, etc. And those facts are commendable and generous and they still don't change the fact that the guy is a prideful blowhard who is to self absorbed to see that people don't respond well when you treat them like dirt because you assume that they too, think that you are just as special as you clearly think that you are.
Because when you are special, things like decorum and respect only apply to those whom aren't special. And when you are special, you can give your slanted and degrading "opinion" and tear into anybody and anything and you DON'T have to worry with those minor things like, truth and hypocrisy. Those are for other people as it is far more important for you to rip everyone else to build up your fragile and immature ego through this image that you have of yourself, which, is so far out from the truth of how most others see you that you might as well be a democratic media pundit in this past election, so sure that the rest of the world see's things in a 'special' way. Just like Jonny does.

Oh, and how about when somebody actually stands up and throws the same barbs Jon Jon's way with the same vitriol. Does he digest it? Reflect on it? Maybe ask if there is a hint of truth?
Nah, screw that! Those who are far to awesome to inconvenience themselves with having to listen to a not so awesome person have the audacity to question your awesomeness...especially if their hair contains not one single spray pump of geri curl activator in it.
So lets show how brilliant we are and defeat such obvious bias criticism with logic and reason.
ORRRRR, we can instead throw such a temper tantrum and show the world how somebody special can rival that of any 2 year old (He is of course, way better than any two year old at anything a two year old can do...wanna put that to the test? Just bring your kid and name the time and the place Buddy boy and he'll show that punk who is who and what is what!) and exactly how a grown man and a leader of millionaires shows his maturity as well as a brilliant grip on his emotions and control.

Somebody so incredible like that would never cheat. It was clearly all Anderson.
So how are you going to feel when the playoffs roll around and Torts tells Dubinsky to crosscheck Crosby?

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
  #146
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
Dubinsky = Joe Penalty Shot Expert

Prior to Sunday's game:
  • His last shootout attempt was 2015
  • He had only 4 shootout/penalty shot goals in his CAREER
  • He had a 36% career shooting percentage on SO/PS goals

I'd be laughing on the bench too seeing Dubi score a PS goal vs Schneider. It was hilarious.
Could've sworn he tried to send gagner over first? Gagner (according to the website I'm looking st) is ranked 112th in "career" penalty shot % with 32.4% success. Which puts him above average (around the likes of tarasenko, benn and giroux) and with 23 attempts he's up there with the nhls best in opportunities... which tells me that he must have a lot of success in practise for his coaches to keep sending him over the boards.

Yea gagner is one of his best shootout guys, and probably most experienced too.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.