HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Charles Hudon Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2017, 12:25 PM
  #551
Feel The Rush
Registered User
 
Feel The Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
My thoughts on Hudon have been repeated several times in this thread, there's no reason to repeat them again. The short answer is, I think he lacks the basic skating and strength required to play in the National Hockey League.



His linemates could be Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, but that won't make him stronger nor will it make his skating better.
People had the same concerns about Claude Giroux once and it turned out pretty good for the Flyers.

Not saying Hudon is another Giroux. As of now they are not even in the same stratosphere but sometimes you can get away with average skating if you have top notch vision , hockey sense and playmaking ability. Now Giroux is a better skater than Hudon but i wouldn't call him a speed demon either. Both guys are pretty much thriving on their playmaking skills and vision first and foremost.

I wouldn't count Hudon out just yet but i wouldn't be against the idea if including him in a package for ??? either. I just think it's a bit premature to call him a bust this soon

Feel The Rush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  #552
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
.
I think Hudon is one of those guys who will be a good AHL player but his lack of skating and strength mean he will never be a productive player at the NHL level.
Much like a bunch of hall of famer (Why did Ribeiro had a career?)

What you and others don't get about Hudon is that he has this "thing": he produces points. Without a real opportunity, he has produced 4 pts in 6 games from the 4th line, he is +3 (McCarron 46 games...7pts, -12). We haven't tried...He's got a lot more offensive awareness, playmaking and shooting abilities than Lekhonen (and I like Lekhonen). It's true that he's not as fast and not the strongest. FINE. We, get it. Can we stop comparing a zebra with a horse?

What we have here is a guy who is dominating in the AHL and he brings to the table something we might be lacking. Someone who opens up the ice for others, someone who is an offensive threat. I happen to think he would bring something to the 3rd line and the PP at the very least (our 2nd PP is disgusting). Don't over use him, play him when his weapons can be employed, without the downsides. Some of you think we have 6 top 6 guys or what? We have 4. 4. We need to find 2 more, it's not going to happen if we fail to give a shot to each of prospects who dominate the AHL.

The real problem Hudon has is Chucky, if our top centre in the NHL was more of a 2-way type, Hudon would be 2nd center by now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Rush View Post
People had the same concerns about Claude Giroux once and it turned out pretty good for the Flyers.

Not saying Hudon is another Giroux. As of now they are not even in the same stratosphere but sometimes you can get away with average skating if you have top notch vision , hockey sense and playmaking ability. Now Giroux is a better skater than Hudon but i wouldn't call him a speed demon either. Both guys are pretty much thriving on their playmaking skills and vision first and foremost.

I wouldn't count Hudon out just yet but i wouldn't be against the idea if including him in a package for ??? either. I just think it's a bit premature to call him a bust this soon
Giroux is not a better skater than Hudon. Very similar. Wannabe experts just look at them slow down the play and think they are slow (ah!).


Last edited by montreal: 03-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:37 PM
  #553
Whitesnake
Here we go again!
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,440
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Much like a bunch of hall of famer (Why did Ribeiro had a career?)

What you and others don't get about Hudon is that he has this "thing": he produces points. Without a real opportunity, he has produced 4 pts in 6 games from the 4th line, he is +3 (McCarron 46 games...7pts, -12). We haven't tried...He's got a lot more offensive awareness, playmaking and shooting abilities than Lekhonen (and I like Lekhonen). It's true that he's not as fast and not the strongest. FINE. We, get it. Can we stop comparing a zebra with a horse?

What we have here is a guy who is dominating in the AHL and he brings to the table something we might be lacking. Someone who opens up the ice for others, someone who is an offensive threat. I happen to think he would bring something to the 3rd line and the PP at the very least (our 2nd PP is disgusting). Don't over use him, play him when his weapons can be employed, without the downsides. Some of you think we have 6 top 6 guys or what? We have 4. 4. We need to find 2 more, it's not going to happen if we fail to give a shot to each of prospects who dominate the AHL.

The real problem Hudon has is Chucky, if our top centre in the NHL was more of a 2-way type, Hudon would be 2nd center by now...
And what some don't get is that while it might actually be true....that he is not going to amount to anything...how about you TRY him? Is it normal that this year he had the same number of games than Bobby freakin Farnham? Incredible.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:45 PM
  #554
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Much like a bunch of hall of famer (Why did Ribeiro had a career?)

What you and others don't get about Hudon is that he has this "thing": he produces points. Without a real opportunity, he has produced 4 pts in 6 games from the 4th line, he is +3 (McCarron 46 games...7pts, -12). We haven't tried...He's got a lot more offensive awareness, playmaking and shooting abilities than Lekhonen (and I like Lekhonen). It's true that he's not as fast and not the strongest. FINE. We, get it. Can we stop comparing a zebra with a horse?

What we have here is a guy who is dominating in the AHL and he brings to the table something we might be lacking. Someone who opens up the ice for others, someone who is an offensive threat. I happen to think he would bring something to the 3rd line and the PP at the very least (our 2nd PP is disgusting). Don't over use him, play him when his weapons can be employed, without the downsides. Some of you think we have 6 top 6 guys or what? We have 4. 4. We need to find 2 more, it's not going to happen if we fail to give a shot to each of prospects who dominate the AHL.

The real problem Hudon has is Chucky, if our top centre in the NHL was more of a 2-way type, Hudon would be 2nd center by now...
Would you please explain this and relate it to Hudon? And why hasn't Hudon replaced any of the other three centers? Obviously he mustn't be considered good enough.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
  #555
jfm133
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
Those saying Hudon is too slow and is an AHLer will be the first to come here and complain if we lose him to Las Vegas and he does well there. If we keep him and he has a real chance next year and does well for us, the same who says he can't make it will hide. Like those who said it was follish to give a three year contract to Byron.

jfm133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
  #556
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And what some don't get is that while it might actually be true....that he is not going to amount to anything...how about you TRY him? Is it normal that this year he had the same number of games than Bobby freakin Farnham? Incredible.
That is the most important thing, nobody will know for sure if getting 4 pts in 6 games and a +3 on the 4th line is a aberration or the real thing unless he is given a real opportunity to show what he brings to the ice.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:59 PM
  #557
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Would you please explain this and relate it to Hudon? And why hasn't Hudon replaced any of the other three centers? Obviously he mustn't be considered good enough.
Too much ginger and it tastes awful.

Hudon's future at centre has/had big interactions with Chucky and Desharnais. Desharnais is gone, Chucky remains.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at C). The question here is: can we have Hudon and Chucky as 1 and 2, I think the answer is no, for a number of defensive reasons, but that's not only Hudon's fault, it's also Chucky's fault of not being quite the 2-way player we would like right now. Because of Chucky, the GM is keeping the 2-way guys in play with Pleks and Danault

Bergevin was trading Plekanec at the deadline apparently, so I expect him to try again at the draft. Maybe they want to try Hudon on the 3rd line while expecting that Chucky and Danault will keep growing (+McCarron on the 4th), that's a very young centre line. They have to keep Mitchell, maybe even Ott around for the experience.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at LW). At LW, he's not going to take MaxPac's spot away. Thus, he's fighting with Byron and Lekhonen. This is just about pecking order. I don't think Lekhonen is that far ahead, but he's made it (or they would have lost him). So in many ways, Hudon didn't have a fighting chance because of Lehkonen's political insider advantage. The LW was remarkably untouched by injuries this year and it didn't help that Hudon got injured himself during the winter injury lull.

I think Scherbak will enter the LW/RW picture starting next year (Scherbak-Chucky-Radulov is possible), it will be interesting to watch how they manage this one and the effect on Hudon. Let's not discount the possibility of a cultural fit between Danault and Hudon.

This is what I think Bergevin should aim for next year:

Lekhonen - Chucky - Radulov
Maxpac - X - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Shaw

(In others words, trading Plekanec + Byron +++ for a younger, good centre for Maxpac)

(I LIKE BYRON, I'm just not ready to make him a core part of this team, thus his high value should be leveraged in the short term).


Last edited by SOLR: 03-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:20 PM
  #558
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Rush View Post
People had the same concerns about Claude Giroux once and it turned out pretty good for the Flyers.

Not saying Hudon is another Giroux. As of now they are not even in the same stratosphere but sometimes you can get away with average skating if you have top notch vision , hockey sense and playmaking ability. Now Giroux is a better skater than Hudon but i wouldn't call him a speed demon either. Both guys are pretty much thriving on their playmaking skills and vision first and foremost.

I wouldn't count Hudon out just yet but i wouldn't be against the idea if including him in a package for ??? either. I just think it's a bit premature to call him a bust this soon
There is zero comparison between Claude Giroux and Charles Hudon.

First and foremost, Giroux on his worst day is better than Hudon on his best. You are talking about speed, which is just part of his issues with skating. He lacks agility, he lacks acceleration and he definitely lacks top end speed.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, there are guys in the league that can get by with poor skating, but they need to be absolutely elite in other regards. Giroux has elite playmaking abilities and outstanding vision, these things help compensate for his shortcomings with skating.

There is nothing about Hudon's skill set that even approaches Giroux's though so the comparison is misguided at best.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:39 PM
  #559
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
There is zero comparison between Claude Giroux and Charles Hudon.

First and foremost, Giroux on his worst day is better than Hudon on his best. You are talking about speed, which is just part of his issues with skating. He lacks agility, he lacks acceleration and he definitely lacks top end speed.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, there are guys in the league that can get by with poor skating, but they need to be absolutely elite in other regards. Giroux has elite playmaking abilities and outstanding vision, these things help compensate for his shortcomings with skating.

There is nothing about Hudon's skill set that even approaches Giroux's though so the comparison is misguided at best.
First and foremost, maybe you should read what the poster you responded actually wrote.

I don't get this bashing of Hudon, nobody here seems to be thinking he's going to be a super, superstar, it's more that people here think he deserves a chance to show what he can do in the bigs and then we'll take it from there.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:41 PM
  #560
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
What you and others don't get about Hudon is that he has this "thing": he produces points.
Please don't make assumptions about me, especially when there is a slew of posts from me on Hudon in this thread that make my opinions of him quite clear. I don't "get" that he produces points? Why would you even say something as idiotic as that? Of course I get that he produces points. That has never been the argument so it's frankly a bizarre thing for you to state and even stranger to pretend that it is somehow a little known fact only you are aware of. We know he produces points. The issue is whether he will be a point producer at the NHL level and your six game sample size is rather meaningless in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Without a real opportunity, he has produced 4 pts in 6 games from the 4th line, he is +3 (McCarron 46 games...7pts, -12). We haven't tried...He's got a lot more offensive awareness, playmaking and shooting abilities than Lekhonen (and I like Lekhonen). It's true that he's not as fast and not the strongest. FINE. We, get it. Can we stop comparing a zebra with a horse?
I don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about here. What does comparing a zebra and a horse have to do with anything? What is that an analogy for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
we have here is a guy who is dominating in the AHL and he brings to the table something we might be lacking.
This kind of hyperbole does nothing to help your argument. He is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "dominating" the AHL. He is not even a point-per-game player, so try to return to reality to have a better chance of being taken seriously. Making hysterical remarks like that make you very easy to dismiss on this topic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
The real problem Hudon has is Chucky, if our top centre in the NHL was more of a 2-way type, Hudon would be 2nd center by now...
Again, this is a ridiculous remark. He doesn't even play centre in the AHL and you think he should be slotted in as a top six NHL centre? He is way too weak to ever be used that way. (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Giroux is not a better skater than Hudon. Very similar. Wannabe experts just look at them slow down the play and think they are slow (ah!).
You just said that Charles Hudon should be a 2nd line centre in the NHL and in the next sentence you criticize others in this thread for being "wannabe experts."

Hey Pot ... it's the kettle. You're black.


Last edited by Treb: 03-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
  #561
Lebowski
El Duderino
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
First and foremost, maybe you should read what the poster you responded actually wrote.

I don't get this bashing of Hudon, nobody here seems to be thinking he's going to be a super, superstar, it's more that people here think he deserves a chance to show what he can do in the bigs and then we'll take it from there.
It's mind boggling. I think some people are still traumatized by the DD saga, and now view all French prospects in a similar light.

Hudon has a ton of offensive skills, and given the fact some players were and still are under performing in a scoring role on the team, he probably deserves a shot. I think he could be a big help for our PP, if nothing else.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:44 PM
  #562
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
First and foremost, maybe you should read what the poster you responded actually wrote.

I don't get this bashing of Hudon, nobody here seems to be thinking he's going to be a super, superstar, it's more that people here think he deserves a chance to show what he can do in the bigs and then we'll take it from there.
I did read it.

And I quoted it.

Then I responded.

What is your issue?

As for the "bashing" I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think he's an NHL player. What's wrong with that? Many people, in this thread, have said that Bergevin "doesn't like him" that he's being mis-used, that the organization is making a mistake, etc. I disagree with that. Am I not entitled to that opinion and yet all the other people that think he should be given a chance are entitled to theirs? How does that work?

Why is it "bashing" to say I don't think he's an NHL calibre player? I'd love to be wrong in this regard. I'd love to see him provide much needed offense to the Canadiens. But I don't think he has the size, strength or skating ability to be an NHL player. How is that bashing?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
  #563
Lebowski
El Duderino
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I did read it.

And I quoted it.

Then I responded.

What is your issue?

As for the "bashing" I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think he's an NHL player. What's wrong with that? Many people, in this thread, have said that Bergevin "doesn't like him" that he's being mis-used, that the organization is making a mistake, etc. I disagree with that. Am I not entitled to that opinion and yet all the other people that think he should be given a chance are entitled to theirs? How does that work?

Why is it "bashing" to say I don't think he's an NHL calibre player? I'd love to be wrong in this regard. I'd love to see him provide much needed offense to the Canadiens. But I don't think he has the size, strength or skating ability to be an NHL player. How is that bashing?
You come up with the conclusion that he isn't an NHL player, and yet he has 4 points in 6 games being mostly used on the 4th line.

Hmm...

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
  #564
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Too much ginger and it tastes awful.

Hudon's future at centre has/had big interactions with Chucky and Desharnais. Desharnais is gone, Chucky remains.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at C). The question here is: can we have Hudon and Chucky as 1 and 2, I think the answer is no, for a number of defensive reasons, but that's not only Hudon's fault, it's also Chucky's fault of not being quite the 2-way player we would like right now. Because of Chucky, the GM is keeping the 2-way guys in play with Pleks and Danault

Bergevin was trading Plekanec at the deadline apparently, so I expect him to try again at the draft. Maybe they want to try Hudon on the 3rd line while expecting that Chucky and Danault will keep growing (+McCarron on the 4th), that's a very young centre line. They have to keep Mitchell, maybe even Ott around for the experience.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at LW). At LW, he's not going to take MaxPac's spot away. Thus, he's fighting with Byron and Lekhonen. This is just about pecking order. I don't think Lekhonen is that far ahead, but he's made it (or they would have lost him). So in many ways, Hudon didn't have a fighting chance because of Lehkonen's political insider advantage. The LW was remarkably untouched by injuries this year and it didn't help that Hudon got injured himself during the winter injury lull.

I think Scherbak will enter the LW/RW picture starting next year (Scherbak-Chucky-Radulov is possible), it will be interesting to watch how they manage this one and the effect on Hudon. Let's not discount the possibility of a cultural fit between Danault and Hudon.

This is what I think Bergevin should aim for next year:

Lekhonen - Chucky - Radulov
Maxpac - X - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Shaw

(In others words, trading Plekanec + Byron +++ for a younger, good centre for Maxpac)

(I LIKE BYRON, I'm just not ready to make him a core part of this team, thus his high value should be leveraged in the short term).
Why are we still talking about him as a C? Apparently he barely plays C in the AHL so why would he here?

The only thing blocking Hudon from C is the same thing blocking Hudon from being a D. He doesn't play the position...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:08 PM
  #565
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why are we still talking about him as a C? Apparently he barely plays C in the AHL so why would he here?

The only thing blocking Hudon from C is the same thing blocking Hudon from being a D. He doesn't play the position...
Because it's still a possibility.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:29 PM
  #566
KawaYui
Registered User
 
KawaYui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Because it's still a possibility.
I doubt it
He hasn't played much center, he's a goalscorer first and foremost, he's 5'10 and under 200 lbs, and he's not better than Galchenyuk and very likely not better than Danault.

KawaYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:31 PM
  #567
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Please don't make assumptions about me, especially when there is a slew of posts from me on Hudon in this thread that make my opinions of him quite clear. I don't "get" that he produces points? Why would you even say something as idiotic as that? Of course I get that he produces points. That has never been the argument so it's frankly a bizarre thing for you to state and even stranger to pretend that it is somehow a little known fact only you are aware of. We know he produces points. The issue is whether he will be a point producer at the NHL level and your six game sample size is rather meaningless in that regard.
Sometimes people say they understand... if you say "The issue is whether he will be a point producer at the NHL level" is that you understood nothing of what I was talking about. Some players are just good point producers anywhere, it's like offense sticks to them. Be it because they know where to be on the ice, or because they have very strong weapon of choice. Ryder, Audette etc. Not exceptional players...yet they produced.

It's also not just a ****ing 6 games sample. I've been following him since midget.
I wanted him drafted. Everybody had doubts.
They signed him right away, I wasn't surprised (rare in the case of a player drafted so far)
He did great for the past 3 years in the AHL, despite ****-poor line management by the development team.
I'm not a fan, I like him "as an amateur scout". I couldn't care less if he succeeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I don't have the faintest idea what you are talking about here. What does comparing a zebra and a horse have to do with anything? What is that an analogy for?
Lekhonen vs. Hudon, please, if you will ask others to go read your others posts like they are infants, consider preaching by example. If I need to explain that Hudon is a creative guy (Zebra) and Lekhonen is a well-controlled player (Horse)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
This kind of hyperbole does nothing to help your argument. He is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "dominating" the AHL. He is not even a point-per-game player, so try to return to reality to have a better chance of being taken seriously. Making hysterical remarks like that make you very easy to dismiss on this topic.
He's just the best goal scorer down there, how else would you evaluate it? He's 39 pts in 44 games...might not be ppg, but it's not too far. Coming back to reality? You are just twisting reality to fit your narrative without even realizing it. Ok maybe, dominating was over-enthusiastic, if you need to make an insult out of every phrase...be my guess, shows me how weak you think your own arguments are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Again, this is a ridiculous remark. He doesn't even play centre in the AHL and you think he should be slotted in as a top six NHL centre? He is way too weak to ever be used that way. (MOD)
Giroux wasn't supposed to be a centre either! Your bar for ridiculous is equal to your disagreement, ie. anybody who disagrees with you is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You just said that Charles Hudon should be a 2nd line centre in the NHL and in the next sentence you criticize others in this thread for being "wannabe experts."

Hey Pot ... it's the kettle. You're black.
I'll criticize who I want, I see what I see (its way too easy to say hes slow...). We don't know what will be road taken by Hudon, closing the door on the C is too quick...

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:35 PM
  #568
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaYui View Post
I doubt it
He hasn't played much center, he's a goalscorer first and foremost, he's 5'10 and under 200 lbs, and he's not better than Galchenyuk and very likely not better than Danault.
You can say "I doubt it", I'm fine with that. I just disagree that it is set in stone like you think it is.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:42 AM
  #569
24rings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mtl
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Hudon's rare offensive skillset will translate to the NHL, his dekes and dangles are on par with Chuckys n Radus and his ability to slow the play down is probably better than anyone on the team atm and the same can be said for his ability to beat the goalie one on one.

Saying a 6 game sample size doesn't mean anything does not make much sense imo. It definitely means something. In those 6 games he did produce with limited minutes and was mostly the driving force on his line, basically he didn't look out of place, in fact he looked pretty good out there and gave no reason to doubt him really.

He would have stayed with the team at least a little longer if not for a fractured sternum after taking a slap shot up high which i think can be considered a freak injury. I know he's had some back issues in the past but he seems to have stayed relatively healthy lately leading me to believe his strength is just fine. Also don't recall seeing him get lit up in the AHL so i think he's elusive enough to play in the bigs.

Also judging by the high volume of breakaways he's getting in the A, i think his skating is pretty good and he has the ability to turn on the jets when he has to. That or he's just that good at reading the play and getting open.

For whatever reason the Habs have chosen to keep him down for the time being, wether its to protect the teams interests in the expansion draft or for his own benefit of playing top minutes a little longer, time will tell but i think he's been brought along the right way in his case and will only be a better player for it. I cannot see this kid flopping. He will be a PP and SO specialist and a solid overall contributor to this team.

24rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:28 AM
  #570
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I did read it.

And I quoted it.

Then I responded.

What is your issue?

As for the "bashing" I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think he's an NHL player. What's wrong with that? Many people, in this thread, have said that Bergevin "doesn't like him" that he's being mis-used, that the organization is making a mistake, etc. I disagree with that. Am I not entitled to that opinion and yet all the other people that think he should be given a chance are entitled to theirs? How does that work?

Why is it "bashing" to say I don't think he's an NHL calibre player? I'd love to be wrong in this regard. I'd love to see him provide much needed offense to the Canadiens. But I don't think he has the size, strength or skating ability to be an NHL player. How is that bashing?
Hey Ferris, you seem to have a very strong and definitive opinion about Hudon. Unlike most people here who make hypothesis and projections, you seem to know more about Hudon than the Habs management itself.

I assume such a strong opinions is based on facts and that you've done a lot of scouting in your life? How many games have you seen Hudon playing? I assume you have been following him closely from Chicoutimi to St John's, but correct me if I'm wrong. With your scouting expertise, are you able to compare him with a similar player at his age?

Unlike you, I believe Hudon has the tools to become a durable NHL player, but I've only seen around 15 full AHL games from him, as well as training camps and some highlights. I don't have your massive scouting expertise and therefore, my opinion is far from definitive. I hope you can enlight me.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:55 AM
  #571
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDs not undersized View Post
Hey Ferris, you seem to have a very strong and definitive opinion about Hudon. Unlike most people here who make hypothesis and projections, you seem to know more about Hudon than the Habs management itself.

I assume such a strong opinions is based on facts and that you've done a lot of scouting in your life? How many games have you seen Hudon playing? I assume you have been following him closely from Chicoutimi to St John's, but correct me if I'm wrong. With your scouting expertise, are you able to compare him with a similar player at his age?

Unlike you, I believe Hudon has the tools to become a durable NHL player, but I've only seen around 15 full AHL games from him, as well as training camps and some highlights. I don't have your massive scouting expertise and therefore, my opinion is far from definitive. I hope you can enlight me.
I've seen him play 20 to 25 games, all at the professional level. Seen him play live about five or six times.

As for me "knowing more about Hudon than the Habs management itself" that's a rather odd comment. Wouldn't that make sense if they were using him in the NHL rather than keeping him in the AHL?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:30 AM
  #572
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I've seen him play 20 to 25 games, all at the professional level. Seen him play live about five or six times.

As for me "knowing more about Hudon than the Habs management itself" that's a rather odd comment. Wouldn't that make sense if they were using him in the NHL rather than keeping him in the AHL?
OK so you and me have seen Hudon playing pretty much as often, but have very different opinions about him. The other difference is that you are pretty affirmative about him not being an NHL player, while I'm willing to admit that I'm not a professional scout and haven't studied his game enough for my opinion to be set in stone. That's why I was asking you if you had any scouting credential, to allow you to be so certain about a prospect.

Especially since Bergevin has clearly stated that Hudon was still part of the future and that he would probably be in the NHL right now if he hadn't been injured. Obviously, this statement contradicts your certainties and that's why I was wondering if you knew things about Hudon that the Habs don't. You seem to believe that Habs have the same opinion of him than you because he's still in the AHL on his 3rd pro season. That's neglecting the fact that a whole bunch of NHL players have taken the same path, including Plekanec.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:01 PM
  #573
jfm133
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I've seen him play 20 to 25 games, all at the professional level. Seen him play live about five or six times.

As for me "knowing more about Hudon than the Habs management itself" that's a rather odd comment. Wouldn't that make sense if they were using him in the NHL rather than keeping him in the AHL?

It seems very important for you to tell us your truth about Hudon. I hope to see you comment if he makes it, in Montréal or elsewhere in the NHL.

jfm133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:20 PM
  #574
get25
Registered User
 
get25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 962
vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Too much ginger and it tastes awful.

Hudon's future at centre has/had big interactions with Chucky and Desharnais. Desharnais is gone, Chucky remains.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at C). The question here is: can we have Hudon and Chucky as 1 and 2, I think the answer is no, for a number of defensive reasons, but that's not only Hudon's fault, it's also Chucky's fault of not being quite the 2-way player we would like right now. Because of Chucky, the GM is keeping the 2-way guys in play with Pleks and Danault

Bergevin was trading Plekanec at the deadline apparently, so I expect him to try again at the draft. Maybe they want to try Hudon on the 3rd line while expecting that Chucky and Danault will keep growing (+McCarron on the 4th), that's a very young centre line. They have to keep Mitchell, maybe even Ott around for the experience.

(This situation is blocking Hudon at LW). At LW, he's not going to take MaxPac's spot away. Thus, he's fighting with Byron and Lekhonen. This is just about pecking order. I don't think Lekhonen is that far ahead, but he's made it (or they would have lost him). So in many ways, Hudon didn't have a fighting chance because of Lehkonen's political insider advantage. The LW was remarkably untouched by injuries this year and it didn't help that Hudon got injured himself during the winter injury lull.

I think Scherbak will enter the LW/RW picture starting next year (Scherbak-Chucky-Radulov is possible), it will be interesting to watch how they manage this one and the effect on Hudon. Let's not discount the possibility of a cultural fit between Danault and Hudon.

This is what I think Bergevin should aim for next year:

Lekhonen - Chucky - Radulov
Maxpac - X - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Shaw

(In others words, trading Plekanec + Byron +++ for a younger, good centre for Maxpac)

(I LIKE BYRON, I'm just not ready to make him a core part of this team, thus his high value should be leveraged in the short term)
.
So you want to trade Byron who is our second best scorer with 20 goals, is great two way play and top PK and has a SCap of 1.167M.

It seems you have no idea about SCap.

Saying you like Byron does not makes sense.
If our second best goal scorer (third best in GPG) and by far our best deal under the SCap is not part of the core then who?
At 4.5 M Pacioretty is a great deal but Byron is far better.

So basically you want to sell our best deal in a Cap world for a player who will certainly be less interesting.

get25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:02 PM
  #575
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post
So you want to trade Byron who is our second best scorer with 20 goals, is great two way play and top PK and has a SCap of 1.167M.

It seems you have no idea about SCap.

Saying you like Byron does not makes sense.
If our second best goal scorer (third best in GPG) and by far our best deal under the SCap is not part of the core then who?
At 4.5 M Pacioretty is a great deal but Byron is far better.

So basically you want to sell our best deal in a Cap world for a player who will certainly be less interesting.
Really? Conjecture much. How is Hudon certainly less interesting? This is so illogical it boggles my mind. YOU DON'T KNOW.

I like Byron, and he's a massive deal on the cap.

That's why I want to TRADE HIM for something we need more than him: A centre. You have to give something to get something FFS.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.