HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ryan Smyth KO'd by one of the dirtiest hits you will ever see (Senior Mens League)

Old
03-17-2017, 03:04 PM
rh71

vCash: 500
Obviously it's not beer league. There are actual fans watching. Filthy hit... he watched him release the puck then hit him anyway.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
4thline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Back on the topic of this hit, I've seen mention from several people that they feel this is a "typical" three game suspension in this league... If true, I'm not sure why any decent player would want to play in that league. That hit was pure headhunting, and really has no place at any level of hockey.
And that's the bottom line. An act of cowardly opportunistic violence, it had nothing to do with playing hockey.

It would be impossible to prove assault beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal court, but Brian Smith the accountant unable to look at a computer screen from PCS would win a civil case. Easy to convince that on balance of probabilities the only reason for a player with multiple years of CHL experience to ignore his check going to the net, show no effort to intercept a player with a clear lane to the net, and then initiate a hit after the play had ended had no intent other than to cause bodily harm outside of the normal boundaries of the game.

4thline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 10:54 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Well, I guess that makes sense. "Beer league" here has a huge spectrum of skill levels... For example, Johnny's Icehouse in Chicago has 8 different divisions and 100+ teams... The lowest division is the federal league, which is beginner hockey. The highest division is the elite league, which has teams that compete for national championships... Six different levels between them, with players from the elite league sometimes playing in three different divisions. Still "beer league" if you ask anyone that plays there...

Back on the topic of this hit, I've seen mention from several people that they feel this is a "typical" three game suspension in this league... If true, I'm not sure why any decent player would want to play in that league. That hit was pure headhunting, and really has no place at any level of hockey.
Yes, that's the same as beer league here - especially in the bigger cities.

I've always viewed the difference between Senior hockey and Beer/Rec League hockey to be somewhat like the difference between minor hockey and junior hockey, except for players who have aged-out of junior.

Senior teams charge for tickets, they have pre-game ceremonies, they sell season ticket packages, they have general managers and equipment managers and all that, there are enforcers, they're basically similar to junior hockey, except the players are over 20.

But yes, trash hit. I'm not sure what it's like anymore, but Senior hockey used to have a real reputation for goonery.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Jaded-Fan

If you've watched the movie concussion, read about the cases of NHL players who have struggled with it after their careers ended, you get some idea of the damage things like this do. Violence is part of the sport to a degree, and at the NHL level players get millions to play the game, so I get taking risks. But a beer league? At some point you toss a player from the league for something like this. Or you will not have a league. The NFL, NHL, etc. can settle cases and go on. Not a league this size.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 01:31 AM
Pez68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Yes, that's the same as beer league here - especially in the bigger cities.

I've always viewed the difference between Senior hockey and Beer/Rec League hockey to be somewhat like the difference between minor hockey and junior hockey, except for players who have aged-out of junior.

Senior teams charge for tickets, they have pre-game ceremonies, they sell season ticket packages, they have general managers and equipment managers and all that, there are enforcers, they're basically similar to junior hockey, except the players are over 20.

But yes, trash hit. I'm not sure what it's like anymore, but Senior hockey used to have a real reputation for goonery.
Seems that reputation is well deserved. Just going through a few rosters, most of the guys I looked up averaged 4-5 PIM a game in the WHL and ECHL, and hardly ever hit double digits in points. Most weren't every day players either and bounced around a lot. Seems this league is filled with a bunch of minor pro "tough guys". AKA, guys that couldn't get to a pro level on their talent, like Sheen. No thanks.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:10 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Seems that reputation is well deserved. Just going through a few rosters, most of the guys I looked up averaged 4-5 PIM a game in the WHL and ECHL, and hardly ever hit double digits in points. Most weren't every day players either and bounced around a lot. Seems this league is filled with a bunch of minor pro "tough guys". AKA, guys that couldn't get to a pro level on their talent, like Sheen. No thanks.
In general, most guys who can make higher leagues will go play there, so it makes sense. All the guys I've ever known who played senior hockey were either guys who wanted to keep the junior hockey glory days going after they aged out, or guys who had family or career reasons not to go play minor pro somewhere, but still loved the game.

With the increase in options for players these days, coupled with more broadcasting of games and easier access to those broadcasts, they won't really attract talent like they might have back in the day when the local senior team was often basically the town's team. Again, it's kind of like the 20+ version of a small town lower tier junior team.

Also, I think it's fair to say that regardless of the era, hockey has had a tendency to get rougher and tougher the more levels removed you are from the show.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 02:29 AM
Hutton
2014-20 RIP Canucks

vCash: 50
holy ****

concussions are a serious thing

Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:52 AM
RonEllisFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
How pathetic do you have to be to try to scramble someone's brains in a beer league?
Had a guy break a stick over my head and my front teeth knocked out with a cross check as a 40 year old playing in an over 30 league. Some guys really take it serious.

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 06:57 AM
Burkies Dip

Hit was late but no worse than Stevens on Kariya. No where near the worst I've seen

Burkies Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:50 PM
PuckSeparator

Quick Sportsnet, do a segment on Smyth crying about it!

PuckSeparator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Cousin Eddie
Trollin' For Nolan

vCash: 177
Dirty, dirty hit.

Very confused with people calling this beer league though. Senior AAA hockey is really good hockey. Players make a pretty dollar too. I know a few guys who don't even want to play competitively anymore but the funds they make from playing AAA Senior is too lucrative to give it up.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
H3ckt1k

This hurt to watch as a person thats had 3 concussions

H3ckt1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Bood12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Dirty, dirty hit.

Very confused with people calling this beer league though. Senior AAA hockey is really good hockey. Players make a pretty dollar too. I know a few guys who don't even want to play competitively anymore but the funds they make from playing AAA Senior is too lucrative to give it up.
what kind of money are they making?

Bood12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bood12 View Post
I've heard up to $500 a game, maybe more for teams with deep pockets. Free sticks, etc.

Nothing mind blowing.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:49 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bood12 View Post
Yeah someone already said but youre talking hundreds of dollars a game for the right player. Obviously thats not huge for someone like Ryan Smyth but to play 4 games in 2 weeks and make a tax free grand-2 grand is pretty good money.

For comparisons sake, Sr. A lacrosse in Ontario actually has some teams that pay players more than the NLL does. Theyre playing for the same kind of trophy as this league would be. Not a beer league

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Socks
Stuff and Things Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ckt1k View Post
This hurt to watch as a person thats had 3 concussions
Yeah I've had 5 myself. I don't care who you are, could be my worst enemy but I will never wish head trauma on you.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
pilkos pump pant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
Had a guy break a stick over my head and my front teeth knocked out with a cross check as a 40 year old playing in an over 30 league. Some guys really take it serious.
I'll finish you off one of these days

pilkos pump pant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
LuckyDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkies Dip View Post
Hit was late but no worse than Stevens on Kariya. No where near the worst I've seen
From a guy who hates that hit on Kariya, this hit is not equitable. At least that hit was still during play.

LuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:56 PM
dustybreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDucky View Post
From a guy who hates that hit on Kariya, this hit is not equitable. At least that hit was still during play.
You miss that goal light on?

dustybreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
How did that not result in the benches clearing
Hockey isn't played like that anymore. It is ok to have cheap shots, but not to retaliate and stick up for your teammates.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
ZachaAttackas
POI POI ONIICHAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybreaks View Post
He means the Stevens hit, which was during play.

ZachaAttackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:54 PM
LuckyDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybreaks View Post
Was talking about the Kariya hit.

LuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:27 AM
StupidityKills

Not sure if ir was reported earkier but Global news said the guy who hit Smyth was given a 16 game suspension.
https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews...yan-smyth/amp/

StupidityKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:10 AM
BCShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
How did that not result in the benches clearing
no kidding. how do people watch after something like that

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thline View Post
And that's the bottom line. An act of cowardly opportunistic violence, it had nothing to do with playing hockey.

It would be impossible to prove assault beyond reasonable doubt in a criminal court, but Brian Smith the accountant unable to look at a computer screen from PCS would win a civil case. Easy to convince that on balance of probabilities the only reason for a player with multiple years of CHL experience to ignore his check going to the net, show no effort to intercept a player with a clear lane to the net, and then initiate a hit after the play had ended had no intent other than to cause bodily harm outside of the normal boundaries of the game.
If I'm Ryan Smyth, I call up some old buddies, like Georges Laraque and a few other goons to join the team and just roll a line with him and 4 goons for when that idiot plays against him next. Just pummel his brains out and then take the 3 day holiday...err...suspension.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote