Grand Junction, Colorado

Old
03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

vCash: 500
Grand Junction, Colorado

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/artic...ote-draws-near

In two weeks and two days, an arena actually goes to a vote in Grand Junction.

That's in Western Colorado, 243 miles and a major mountain range from Denver, somewhat longer from Salt Lake City.

Grand Junction's metropolis is 3,000 people larger than Rapid City. So that begs a question: how well are the Rush doing at business? Are they alright? Having seen a snapshot of their arena in @EmptySeatsPics lately, I have to wonder.

Seems like the ECHL is a bait-and-switch issue with the NAHL a possibility. The D-League team would be the prize... but I'd argue the arena should be half as big for them. Hmm.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Hurricane Ron

Geographically, it would make sense for the Mountain Division, and create a new rival for both Utah and Colorado. However, the cart is a bit in front of the horse. The vote for the arena hasn't occurred yet; and if it does pass, how long will it take to build the arena? I would guess 2020. A lot can happen between now and then; and whether an ECHL team would still be viable for this area.

Hurricane Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 06:50 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Is it possible this is AHL? Rumor is Colorado might get expansion AHL franchise but all is very hush hush.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

If only the ECHL could become an east coast/very small portion of the Midwest(thinking Ohio/Indiana)league that'd be great. The point of having teams way out on the other side of the country is becoming less and less relevant.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Hurricane Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Enthusiast View Post
If only the ECHL could become an east coast/very small portion of the Midwest(thinking Ohio/Indiana)league that'd be great. The point of having teams way out on the other side of the country is becoming less and less relevant.
I think the chances of that happening are slim to none. While there are advantages, from a fan's point of view, with a smaller league made of up 8 to 10 teams, I think those days for the ECHL are long gone.

I think, for better or worse, both the AHL and ECHL are going to remain leagues spread all over the US and Canada, for the foreseeable future. If the issue with the Pacific Division teams playing a lesser number of games than the rest of the AHL, going on for the third year next season; hasn't resulted in a split from the AHL into another AAA league, I'm not sure anything will.

I believe the only way the Mountain Division goes away is if some combination of Utah, Colorado and Idaho were to move to the AHL; and other cities, such as Grand Junction, weren't available to fill those slots. And even if that happens, there are probably enough cities elsewhere in the central, midwest, east and south to allow the ECHL to remain a league with 24-28 teams.

Guess time will tell.

Hurricane Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 02:19 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ron View Post
I think the chances of that happening are slim to none. While there are advantages, from a fan's point of view, with a smaller league made of up 8 to 10 teams, I think those days for the ECHL are long gone.

I think, for better or worse, both the AHL and ECHL are going to remain leagues spread all over the US and Canada, for the foreseeable future. If the issue with the Pacific Division teams playing a lesser number of games than the rest of the AHL, going on for the third year next season; hasn't resulted in a split from the AHL into another AAA league, I'm not sure anything will.

I believe the only way the Mountain Division goes away is if some combination of Utah, Colorado and Idaho were to move to the AHL; and other cities, such as Grand Junction, weren't available to fill those slots. And even if that happens, there are probably enough cities elsewhere in the central, midwest, east and south to allow the ECHL to remain a league with 24-28 teams.

Guess time will tell.
Well your latter idea is what I was hoping for. Now that the California teams are gone and Alaska is gone you have a team in Idaho and the teams like Colorado, Rapid City and Utah. Its not as crazy as it used to be but I think with all the franchises having merged their teams in the AHL out west it would make sense to try and get these few remaining franchises with them. I think the idea of 31-31-31 is going to die out thank god. It may not be ideal but Colorado and Winnipeg for example could pick a couple of those teams for an affiliation. The Eagles would probably be a great AHL addition. I'm not sure what Rapid City's long term status will be. I'm still amazed that Quad City is around.

Old
03-22-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I think the idea of 31-31-31 is going to die out thank god.
Not. A. Chance.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Not. A. Chance.
There's not enough stable markets at this level. These teams probably really don't want it. Sports leagues at the top hate odd numbers long term so I'm sure 31 will become 30 or even gasp 32.

I wish the ECHL would see the logical writing on the wall that they aren't badly needed for development. This isn't baseball where even Bryce Harper came through the ranks. NHL teams aren't lining up to buy ECHL franchises then you could argue some supply and demand but that isn't even necessary.

Old
03-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
There's not enough stable markets at this level. These teams probably really don't want it. Sports leagues at the top hate odd numbers long term so I'm sure 31 will become 30 or even gasp 32.

I wish the ECHL would see the logical writing on the wall that they aren't badly needed for development. This isn't baseball where even Bryce Harper came through the ranks. NHL teams aren't lining up to buy ECHL franchises then you could argue some supply and demand but that isn't even necessary.
When it's all said and done it will be 32-32-32...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
When it's all said and done it will be 32-32-32...
That's sad. The ECHL I think is heading for a slow and inevitable painful death at this rate. The AHL teams seem to be becoming more and more NHL owned so the AHL will survive as long as the NHL does or if costs ever get tight the NHL teams will just dump off the AHL to save expenses to keep the NHL afloat. Of course I'm thinking way down the line with the last part.

Old
03-23-2017, 06:28 PM
monarchsfan90

i don't the echl is doing to die anytime soon

monarchsfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 06:34 PM
JDogindy

Quote:
That's sad. The ECHL I think is heading for a slow and inevitable painful death at this rate. The AHL teams seem to be becoming more and more NHL owned so the AHL will survive as long as the NHL does or if costs ever get tight the NHL teams will just dump off the AHL to save expenses to keep the NHL afloat. Of course I'm thinking way down the line with the last part.
Dual affiliation seems far more likely.

If anything, a 16 team ECHL is more likely than a 32 team ECHL.

Places like Indy, Orlando, Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Cincinnati, and South Carolina seem safe, but others might be plucked for AHL destinations or can't sustain themselves.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Dual affiliation seems far more likely.

If anything, a 16 team ECHL is more likely than a 32 team ECHL.

Places like Indy, Orlando, Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Cincinnati, and South Carolina seem safe, but others might be plucked for AHL destinations or can't sustain themselves.
I know this isn't the "politics" forum but I think its no secret the economy is well awful, I anticipate at some point down the road an economic collapse that will be huge. I mean at $20 trillion in debt that's just logic. You'd have to think it would crush the bottom feeders before it crushes those billionaires at the tippy tippy top owning NHL and other top pro league sports teams. In not certain minor league sports will have a long term future going ahead. Most of the people owning minor league teams aren't even really rich on a real scale. They aew just lowly multi millionaires in the 7 figures column. The people at the top can easily wipe them out of the what you'd consider rich class. Couple that with the fact most minor league teams are losing financial operations.

See, soon these people will have to start supporting the growing poor class they are creating.

Old
03-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Cacciaguida

I'd expect a couple of California teams before central based teams.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote