HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

John Tortorella

Old
01-05-2016, 11:11 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJones View Post
As long as he's not involved with Calgary in anyway I think he's great and teams should keep hiring him.
You Calgary guys are the most funnest!

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
It feels like if you fail in Canada we never hear the end of it on HF. We get it Canucks fans.
It's more like a Canucks thing. When they hate somebody....

Remember the whole Keenan/Messier thing?

Personally I like Torts-type of coaches, what he annoyed me the most with was with the media in NYC. His whole act was annoying but I like intense coaches.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 12:17 AM
Machinehead
Fire Clowneault

Hated him in New York.

I think he adds some good things. He gets his team to work hard and he handles the media extremely well IMO (the beat in NY is garbage and they deserved every bit of the crap they got).

But they way he employs his defense is extremely outdated and he clashes with offense-first players. Johansen has not been an angel but he's not the first either. Here, he basically ran Gaborik out of town and tried to run Zuccarello and Kreider out of town too.

3/22/17 - Buchnevich Conspiracy Theory Confirmed #FireAV
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 01:27 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Hated him in New York.

I think he adds some good things. He gets his team to work hard and he handles the media extremely well IMO (the beat in NY is garbage and they deserved every bit of the crap they got).

But they way he employs his defense is extremely outdated and he clashes with offense-first players. Johansen has not been an angel but he's not the first either. Here, he basically ran Gaborik out of town and tried to run Zuccarello and Kreider out of town too.
There was good and bad for sure. His system I'm not a fan of but with the 11-12 team, I think that system got the most out of that specific team. The sum was greater than the parts for sure. He failed in adapting to his personnel with the 12-13 team when he had more top end talent and didn't open things up.

01-06-2016, 01:48 AM
embryoniccrusadah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Why is that?

He took the Canucks closer to the Cup than they have been in their entire history.
the first part i was mostly just being cheeky and the second part i dont even know

embryoniccrusadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 05:32 AM
W75

vCash: 626
I see him as a funny, grumpy dude who's style doesn't work anymore in this time and with nowadays players. A bit like Don Cherry as a hockey analyst, entertaining for sure but not much more.

He's won a cup, so I think he was a good coach in that time.

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 08:39 AM
tony d
sugar crisp

Torts is a terrible coach but Johansen's not helping himself either. Guy seems to think he's way more than what he is.

01-06-2016, 08:47 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

I like him. I am not sure what happened in vancouver but i completely understand why they hate him. I like him for the rangers when he was hear but our roaster changed and he didn't adapt. I think he will do well in columbus. Johansen is ruining Johansen's career. Its way to easy to blame Torts for that. He was getting called out before Tortorella got there. The gm publicly shamed him over contract negotiations. Torts is just the first person to use hard discipline.

SlapshotTheMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
It feels like if you fail in Canada we never hear the end of it on HF. We get it Canucks fans.
No, that is just a Vancouver thing. Because they have never won a cup, they point fingers forever.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Jaxs

This came out this morning on the Torts-Johansen situation. There is mutual respect from the statements made, but one can speculate that it is time to either get going or get going down the road.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ce-column.html

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Havre

Quote:
Hated him in New York.

He expects certain things from his players when it comes to discipline and toughness. Really don't see the problem with that.

How do you like Vigneault and his love for Glass?

Everyone. Coaches and fans. Will "overrate/underrate" certain players. Don't think Tortorella is special in that sense.

The idea clearly isn't to break a player, but to make him understand what is required to be successful. Not saying it always works, but no coach is able to get the best out of everyone. Tortorella is just more frank about these things than most other coaches (good or bad).

And why isn't anyone talking about Dubinsky anymore? Another player Tortorella allegedly didn't like.

Quite interesting the discussion about the Finnish national teams. Why are they so much better than the individual players would suggest that they should be? It is argued (and I agree) because in Finland hockey is very much seen as a team game. I'm not from North America so I'm not going to pretend that I understand all that well how things are seen in for example the NHL, but it is not exactly uncommon to discuss these kind of things; how to get the best out of individual players (in this case Johansen) by adjusting to him - instead of discussing what Johansen needs to do to adjust to the team.

Havre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Cyber

If college hockey was bigger in the US he'd be a perfect college coach. As it stands, though, the salary disparity between college and pro for coaches is probably 20x.

Cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:09 AM
LoveCBJ

Don't know what is with all the Torts hate but hey, he is not YOUR coach. Let it alone. Johansen is his own worst enemy. He is not shooting and making blind passes, not hustling. Everyone is waiting for Torts to go ballistic on the bench but he has not. (I would have by now) Also, our schedule has sucked and since he came in, we have had very few times when real coaching could take place.

LoveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Spazkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by electriccanuck View Post
13-14 was the year after Luongo spent two seasons on the trading block, only to see Schneider dealt. Was supposed to be a big "make-up" season between parties. Everyone left for the Olympics while the Nucks were in a massive slide. Come winter classic time Torts never starts luongo again, and i don't know what he was thinking
Is that what this thread is all about? Luongo is doing well now and it's Torts fault he's not still in Vancouver? I'm not up to date on everything Canucks, but from what I understand the goalie drama started well before Torts arrived, so I think that was probably a Gilles thing more than his. Hard to know what was going on with regards to management and personnel issues that might have influenced those coaching decisions. To pin that on Torts alone seems disingenuous.

For the rest, I think its a case of Torts style making him a a good man to 'right the ship' so to speak, but probably not the best suited to the nuanced changes that need to be made after that. No, it did not work out in Vancouver.. but that doesn't make him a bad coach in general. You can't deny that CBJ looks much better now. Not just their record, but their actual game. I don't watch them all them time, but what I see now is night and day from the crew that started the season.

Spazkat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Hoek
#MSL26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's more like a Canucks thing. When they hate somebody....

Remember the whole Keenan/Messier thing?
LOL, now that you mention it... I used to know a Canucks fan back in those days and wow, talk about jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Ullman View Post
No, that is just a Vancouver thing. Because they have never won a cup, they point fingers forever.
Understandable I suppose, it's been a frustrating run for that team.

Hoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
IamNotADancer
Rookie User

sooooo , what is the consensus on Torts now?

It appears that it's always either one extreme (Torts is a terrible coach and a failure) or the other (Torts is a genius).

I'm leaning more towards the genius side of those extreme but still think that Torts simply needs to match a teams "character" in order to be successful. He reminds me a bit of Keenan (not coaching style) in that he demands absolute dedication and subservience or you can just go home. Which is not the most terrible thing a coach could "suffer" from.

IamNotADancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:56 AM
missingjibbsclub

Torts is a genius.

missingjibbsclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
damacles1156

Torts needs a young team, that buys into his demands. When it works, it's great.

But like all NHL coaches, it eventually gets old, and players stop listening. Then guys like Torts get fired.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
pm88

vCash: 250
He's a very abrasive, aggressive, in your face coach. That style can work for a little while but it's not something that will be a long term thing on any team he coaches.

pm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Torts needs a young team, that buys into his demands. When it works, it's great.

But like all NHL coaches, it eventually gets old, and players stop listening. Then guys like Torts get fired.
Yep. Coaches get fired. Only 3 coaches have more than 4 seasons tenured as head coach of their current team. And one is Tippett

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Burke the Legend

I still can't figure out why he was so tough on Pacioretty at the World Cup.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm88 View Post
He's a very abrasive, aggressive, in your face coach. That style can work for a little while but it's not something that will be a long term thing on any team he coaches.
He certainly has been in the past. But of late he seems to be moderating that (read: he takes out his frustrations on refs now ), and making better use of his assistants, and so naturally recent success is being attributed to that. We're hoping it continues... and that we can keep the Brads.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post

I pretty much agree with this...but I would add, as a coach, we all want a team full of players that will cast aside their personal notion of how they should play the game, and buy into the team approach as laid out by the coaches.

Paid professionals, multi millionaires, tend to have elevated egos and don't always care to be told how they should play the game.

Columbus has very few egos for Torts to deal with. The one ego they had, also had a beef with the front office, so he got shipped off.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

No doubt he's done a great job, better than most commentators predicted. He also has very good personnel to work with.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
People have to stop holding the Johansen thing against Torts.

Johansen had problems with Richards too. He played when he wanted to play and was especially useless when things got a little rough. Exceptional potential and ability but half the drive of the average NHL player. 0 intangibles. Jarmo was likely never going to be comfortable giving him the ticket he'd want for that next contract - and the 2015 start sealed that opinion.