HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Old
03-13-2017, 09:15 PM
martz11

vCash: 500
So I'm new to buying hockey sticks so I bought a couple to try out. One is a Nexus 8000 and the other a Bauer 170. The Nexus had a smooth shaft and the 170 a "tacky" shaft. Is there a universal term for this tacky like shaft? I'd like to know this for down the road when I start exploring other sticks.

martz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 11:21 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by martz11 View Post
So I'm new to buying hockey sticks so I bought a couple to try out. One is a Nexus 8000 and the other a Bauer 170. The Nexus had a smooth shaft and the 170 a "tacky" shaft. Is there a universal term for this tacky like shaft? I'd like to know this for down the road when I start exploring other sticks.
Grip.

Bauer calls their grip finish 'Griptac'.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 10:47 AM
WithOutPaperss
Made it Look Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
1) Warrior measures their lie differently from other brands
2) Warrior no longer indicates lies on retail curves for current models
3) Each brand has curve equivalents to each other, if you tell us the curve you enjoy on Warrior sticks, we can better help point you in the right direction.
I prefer the Yakupov curve on the Warrior mostly for the Lie and the toe-curve. So judging from the chart, Giroux for Bauer, Bergeron/Landeskog for CCM (the two I'm mostly looking at). Thanks.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 05:33 PM
martz11

Quote:
Grip.

Bauer calls their grip finish 'Griptac'.
Thanks!

martz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 08:43 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
I prefer the Yakupov curve on the Warrior mostly for the Lie and the toe-curve. So judging from the chart, Giroux for Bauer, Bergeron/Landeskog for CCM (the two I'm mostly looking at). Thanks.
Giroux yes, but not Bergeron/Landeskog (also toe curves, but not clones of the Yakupov). You want to look for the CCM P28 curve. The P28 is new so if you want a toe curve in older CCM models, Berg/Land might be your best bet.

Old
03-14-2017, 09:43 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
Giroux yes, but not Bergeron/Landeskog (also toe curves, but not clones of the Yakupov). You want to look for the CCM P28 curve. The P28 is new so if you want a toe curve in older CCM models, Berg/Land might be your best bet.
The P28 for CCM, at least for the Ribcore, is called the McDavid.

puckpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2017, 07:54 AM
WithOutPaperss
Made it Look Sexy

Quote:
Fantastic, thanks for the help. Luckily I won't need this new stick until next season so I have a lot of time to wait for deals on those particular curves.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 10:42 PM
StLHokie

Any way you could update the equivalent curve's table with the True curves?

StLHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:08 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHokie View Post
Any way you could update the equivalent curve's table with the True curves?
Updating the stick guide is definitely on my radar!

Old
03-19-2017, 04:38 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Updating the stick guide is definitely on my radar!
Done!

Old
03-19-2017, 11:49 PM
holden57

Can someone give me a simple explanation on this. I generally use a SR stick uncut. 75 flex and I like the lie to be 5 or 5.5. I've been interested in getting a lower flex stick, but an intermediate would be too short. Adding an extension would make the stick more whippy? Also does an extension change the lie at all?

Thanks!

holden57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden57 View Post
Can someone give me a simple explanation on this. I generally use a SR stick uncut. 75 flex and I like the lie to be 5 or 5.5. I've been interested in getting a lower flex stick, but an intermediate would be too short. Adding an extension would make the stick more whippy? Also does an extension change the lie at all?

Thanks!
Adding an extension will make the stick whippier in general, yes, but only if you're adding a material length (say, >2") that it makes any sort of tangible difference.

Lie is angle b/w shaft and blade, so no, that doesn't change.

Do not focus on the lie number because every company measures it differently. A 5 in one may be a 5.5 or 6 in another. Focus on the curve, because every company generally makes the same series of curves. See the guide for more info.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
puckpilot

So yesterday I picked up a Bauer 1N 2017 from a LHS. The stick label said it was a P28 Giroux, but then today, I was in a different store and saw the exact same stick with the P28 pattern, but it said Eichel.

I'm just curious if anyone has any info about the different naming. Is it a different batch? Was one released earlier than the other? And if there are differences other than the name, which there shouldn't be?

Old
03-20-2017, 08:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpilot View Post
So yesterday I picked up a Bauer 1N 2017 from a LHS. The stick label said it was a P28 Giroux, but then today, I was in a different store and saw the exact same stick with the P28 pattern, but it said Eichel.

I'm just curious if anyone has any info about the different naming. Is it a different batch? Was one released earlier than the other? And if there are differences other than the name, which there shouldn't be?
New name going forward, but P28 = P28. Don't focus on the name because it always changes.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
DougKnowsBest

I've got a Bauer supreme 170 ovechkin blade 77 flex. I made the mistake of picking up my sons vapor Xl ovechkin blade 77 flex. Feeling that stick really made a impact on me. Now I'm looking at $200+ sticks for no good reason. Fortunately I've resisted

I do think I want a less aggressive blade then the ovechkin, but not as whippy as my sons vapor. I play center and feel like I'm not getting a good bite with my blade tip on face offs. It's probably crazy but I swear that rolled end isn't doing me favors.

Just kind of dragging my feet on going to the store. The supreme is working for me, but man I can feel the puck a lot better on the vapor. But I feel like I'm going to break that vapor when I've used it.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:14 AM
puckpilot

Quote:
New name going forward, but P28 = P28. Don't focus on the name because it always changes.
Thanks, I was just curious, because the stick was 35% off. I didn't expect such a big discount for a newer stick like this. Was probably just a pricing error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
Just kind of dragging my feet on going to the store. The supreme is working for me, but man I can feel the puck a lot better on the vapor. But I feel like I'm going to break that vapor when I've used it.
How big are you? IMHO, you'd have to be overpowering the stick by a huge margin to break it. I remember seeing a youtube video on stick making, and if I'm remembering right, they said it took 400lb of force to break a 100 flex stick.

For reference, I'm 5'5 180, and I've been using junior sticks for a while now. I've put everything I've had leaning into slapshots, and I have yet to break a single junior stick. Probably because my weak arse isn't strong enough. :p

Old
03-21-2017, 11:01 AM
DougKnowsBest

I'm only 5'7 160 and also use a intermediate stick. The Bauer I use was bought for my 2nd year bantam a few years ago but he didn't like it so I took it once I became disillusioned with my hard as a steel beam Bauer supreme one.5

The high end sticks are just so lite they feel fragile

Old
03-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
Quote:
I'm only 5'7 160 and also use a intermediate stick. The Bauer I use was bought for my 2nd year bantam a few years ago but he didn't like it so I took it once I became disillusioned with my hard as a steel beam Bauer supreme one.5

The high end sticks are just so lite they feel fragile
77 flex isn't intermediate, it's a senior stick. Are they still too whippy for you after you cut them?

Eazy for Kuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
DougKnowsBest

im not sure is the best answer i can give...

the supreme i can get to flex fine, doesnt feel to whippy. my sons vapor feels like its 1 good chop from being split into 2 pieces... but i wouldnt call it too whippy.. i actually like the way it feels.

i guess whats holding me back from buying one for myself if the price tag and fear of someone whacking it really good

Old
03-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
im not sure is the best answer i can give...

the supreme i can get to flex fine, doesnt feel to whippy. my sons vapor feels like its 1 good chop from being split into 2 pieces... but i wouldnt call it too whippy.. i actually like the way it feels.

i guess whats holding me back from buying one for myself if the price tag and fear of someone whacking it really good
High end carbon fiber sticks may seem more fragile than the low end ones but in reality they're not. They're just as durable but they're lighter because the carbon fiber used is of higher quality.

By the way, I got my new XC9 ACF with the TC3 curve. It's not the same curve as the TC4/P28, it looks like a cross between a Hossa and the old P08 from Bauer. That looks like the perfect curve for me, can't wait to try it.

Old
03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
puckpilot

Any one have experience using the CCM Super Tacks and the Bauer 1S? The general description seems similar but wondering how they play. Most interested in how they feel loading up. Thanks.

Old
03-27-2017, 05:41 PM
jazzykat

Does the intermediate bauer 1s stick have the same shaft dimensions as the senior because i am looking at the 75 flex since I am short, and would like to have a lower flex than a cut down senior 77?

Thanks!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Does the intermediate bauer 1s stick have the same shaft dimensions as the senior because i am looking at the 75 flex since I am short, and would like to have a lower flex than a cut down senior 77?

Thanks!
Intermediate sticks are always thinner than senior sticks.

Old
03-27-2017, 07:29 PM
MDCSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
Intermediate sticks are always thinner than senior sticks.
Are you sure? I bought an intermediate a few months ago for fun and when I bought an extension for it, I needed to buy a senior one

MDCSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCSL View Post
Are you sure? I bought an intermediate a few months ago for fun and when I bought an extension for it, I needed to buy a senior one
Yes. The inner dimensions are close, it's the thickness of the shaft that changes. In other words, an extension will mate with an intermediate or a senior stick but it doesn't mean the outside dimensions are the same. Here's a picture to show you the difference.