HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Old
02-22-2017, 06:20 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
So what is that now for new AHL teams? 10? 12? Brooklyn, Houston, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Binghampton, Albany, Portland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Detroit, Berlin, Moscow, Racine, Lubbock, Mexico City, Conch, Albuquerque, etc.
Come on man, you've been around long enough to know better....

....there's no "P" in Binghamton.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Nightsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ron View Post
Unfounded rumors about teams and leagues seem to thrive on this site, unfortunately.

And, when something does happen, such as the former Evansville franchise in the ECHL being transferred to Jacksonville, there wasn't so much as a peep by anyone beforehand.

From my perspective, if there is a credible source regarding a team or league, please share. Otherwise, don't post what is nothing more than a guess. Just a thought.
Well this is not an "official" forum or not of the "press". There are no reputations at stake here, it's an open forum of fans and buffs. It's fun to speculate, nobody here is under any obligation to state facts. Most of the posts here, probably 85% (that's my own conservative guess) are mostly opinions of individuals here and nothing really fact based to begin. You start dictating what people post then you start the slippery slope of shouting down what someone thinks, believes, or speculates. If the United States press isn't heald to the best standard then no way should we expect to suppress the beliefs, thoughts, and opinion of others whom we don't share the same beliefs.....That is un American!!!!

Nightsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Come on man, you've been around long enough to know better....

....there's no "P" in Binghamton.
WHAT!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! That must be a pain on the bladder then.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2017, 05:39 PM
BigMac1212
My brain is fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
I'm gonna take a stab at a realignment theory here. I wonder if the NHL will use some of its clout in terms of realignment, to get the AHL alignment to match theirs a little more closely, keeping call-ups convenient at home and/or on the road. There's a sensible (albeit unbalanced) way for this to work out, assuming they hold off on expansion (which looks likely at this point), with only two outliers.

Metro
Wilkes-Barre
Hershey
Cleveland
Charlotte
Lehigh
Binghamton
Hartford
Bridgeport

Atlantic
Laval
Toronto
Belleville
Rochester
Providence
Springfield
Syracuse
Utica -- One of the outliers, as Vancouver would be standing in for Detroit.

Central
Chicago
Winnipeg
Rockford
Milwaukee
Texas
San Antonio
Iowa
Grand Rapids-- Our other outlier.

Pacific
San Jose
Ontario
San Diego
Tuscon
Bakersfield
Stockton

So with this you get a pretty close mimic of the NHL's current alignment, less Vegas. It also leaves itself open for some likely moves in the future: a Vegas affiliate on the west coast jumps into the Pacific and if Vancouver relocates the Comets to the other coast, they can fill it out while Grand Rapids can jump to the Atlantic.

Of course this may exaggerate the NHL's sway over the AHL, but it would complete the new MO of convenient call-ups.
When my computer gets fixed and my cataract gets removed from my right eye, may I get permission to use this alignment for a hockey expansion. ( will credit you for this idea.

BigMac1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2017, 11:30 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 309
I'm still saying Vegas should purchase the IceCaps branding ("Nevada" meaning "snow covered", aka ice capped) for an AHL affiliate.

And then partner up with Utah for the ECHL.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Captain Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212 View Post
When my computer gets fixed and my cataract gets removed from my right eye, may I get permission to use this alignment for a hockey expansion. ( will credit you for this idea.
Sure, feel free.

Captain Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 03:25 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Wasn't this supposed to be decided by now?

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:01 AM
crimsonace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
It may have been decided one way or the other behind closed doors, but not yet announced. As long as nothing has been announced, I'd anticipate the status quo for next season.

Last month, David Andrews said a 31st franchise in 2017-18 is a 50/50 chance and if it were to happen, would likely be in the Midwestern U.S. (but NOT Kansas City).

(link to interview)

He said in a different article that commitments would need to be made by mid-March, but in reality, things could be decided behind closed doors and announced later.

Last edited by crimsonace: 03-17-2017 at 04:39 PM.
crimsonace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:25 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Most likely nothing to be announced because the team they will partner with is still in an agreement with another NHL team at the moment. That being said I'm sure they have an agreement with the team they are partnering with and are respectfully waiting to announce it.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 12:47 PM
crimsonace

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Most likely nothing to be announced because the team they will partner with is still in an agreement with another NHL team at the moment. That being said I'm sure they have an agreement with the team they are partnering with and are respectfully waiting to announce it.
What seems likely is Las Vegas is going to partner with the Chicago Wolves, If that happens, the question becomes will the Blues have their own affiliate for next year or will they co-op with someone. From what I've heard - which is rumor at best - it's exactly what David Andrews has said, about 50/50 chance for 2017-18. Andrews addressed both possibilities in the interview posted above.

Because of Chicago's affiliation with St. Louis, that *could* delay the announcement until the end of the season even if all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed out of respect for the Blues and the existing Wolves players/coaches, et al. Another moving part is the potential 31st market. Andrews said if it is to happen, it would likely be in the Midwest and would definitely not be Kansas City. That likely means that market has a team in an existing league (between the AHL, ECHL and SPHL, those leagues have filled virtually every available Midwestern market), which adds a few more moving parts if a 31st team is to be announced for 2017-18.

Last edited by crimsonace: 03-17-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old
03-17-2017, 06:25 PM
uhlaw97

About a year ago, there was talk about creating a new arena for a potential AHL franchise in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, TX.

I haven't heard much buzz since, but that would be a good location for any potential Las Vegas AHL affiliate.

uhlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaw97 View Post
About a year ago, there was talk about creating a new arena for a potential AHL franchise in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, TX.

I haven't heard much buzz since, but that would be a good location for any potential Las Vegas AHL affiliate.
Why would that be a good location?

Old
03-17-2017, 10:03 PM
crimsonace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Why would that be a good location?
Houston might be a struggle, as it's not really geographically close to anyone, although it does have a good airport hub going for it (that's why Chicago is a great option for them - Allstate Arena is literally across the street from O'Hare, which is a hub airport with direct flights to everywhere). The trend in the AHL is to have a team that's convenient for the NHL team to be able to call up/send down players quickly without missing much time in transit.

The main issue with Houston is there's no rink. Until it's built, Houston can't be a viable market. Ideally, the AHL would be to 31 teams by next season, and by 2018 at the latest. There's no way an AHL-caliber rink could be built and operational in that short of a time frame.

Old
03-17-2017, 10:51 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonace View Post
What seems likely is Las Vegas is going to partner with the Chicago Wolves, If that happens, the question becomes will the Blues have their own affiliate for next year or will they co-op with someone. From what I've heard - which is rumor at best - it's exactly what David Andrews has said, about 50/50 chance for 2017-18. Andrews addressed both possibilities in the interview posted above.

Because of Chicago's affiliation with St. Louis, that *could* delay the announcement until the end of the season even if all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed out of respect for the Blues and the existing Wolves players/coaches, et al. Another moving part is the potential 31st market. Andrews said if it is to happen, it would likely be in the Midwest and would definitely not be Kansas City. That likely means that market has a team in an existing league (between the AHL, ECHL and SPHL, those leagues have filled virtually every available Midwestern market), which adds a few more moving parts if a 31st team is to be announced for 2017-18.
Heard all of the very rumors that you have stated and the reasons as well...pretty easy for me since I've been a Wolves season ticket holder for 2 decades now...guess only time will tell...go back and read my post earlier in this thread and you'll see that i broached the subject of Vegas/Chicago quite some time ago

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:32 PM
NLRAIDERS

St. John's NF please.

NLRAIDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Woo Hockey
@SaveWooHockey

Quote:
Different outlets reported that it was supposed to be decided by Christmas time and others gave general responses such as "soon" or "by the end of the month".

Wouldn't be surprised if they just hold off until the end of play-offs / off-season to announce it at this point.

Woo Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
WolvesAndWings
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRAIDERS View Post
St. John's NF please.
Wouldn't you prefer another crack at a QMJHL team?

WolvesAndWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
St. John's NF please.
Just buy the Arizona Coyotes. They don't really have a place to play and you couldn't really lose any more money than they do now in AZ. Heck, they are losing $20 mil a year or so. The arena in St. John's seats what, 4,000? At $500 a ticket they will get more revenue than they do in AZ. That will get them revenues of 2 mil per game at 41 games? That's a lot more than they are getting for the 12,000 fans paying 20 bucks a ticket.

But, back onto the AHL affiliate for LV. We will know when we know. Chicago is a good chance. There is also a good chance a cash strapped team like the Coyotes wouldn't mind getting some money for sharing their Tuscon team.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:44 PM
mk80

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-one-year-deal

I think I posted this article before, but the most likely scenario is Las Vegas will be affiliated with Chicago, this is the article from Summer 2016 when the Blues and Wolves renewed their affiliation. It seems the Blues explored owning their AHL franchise again with Kansas City but it was shut down for one reason or another.

Really the question is where do the Blues go now? But most likely they'll share with Vegas or another team. Unless that 31st team comes into play but I would think if it was to be happening next season someone would have heard something, in this time period nothing like that is kept entirely behind closed doors.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:58 PM
GrGriffins

Quote:
St. John's NF please.
Or get a group in Quebec to buy the NY Islanders or maybe the Carolina Hurricanes and move them to Quebec City and when Quebec becomes an NHL team once again, then St John's would be in the running for another shot at the AHL.

If the 31st AHL team is to arrive for the 17-18 season, you would figure that some kind of news would be released by now or relatively soon since the AHL will release their 17-18 season much sooner (end of July) than they usually do. My rep in GR tells me that the 31st AHL team will most likely not come in 17-18 (barring an 11th hour decision by Vegas and other parties involved).

GrGriffins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesAndWings View Post
Wouldn't you prefer another crack at a QMJHL team?
already tried that the Irvings ran into the same financial difficulty, and it didn't help matters after Edmonton INVADED Toronto's backyard, prior to the 1st lockout, add to that the Leafs logos remained at Mile One AS a continual reminder....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:57 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
Really the question is where do the Blues go now? But most likely they'll share with Vegas or another team. Unless that 31st team comes into play but I would think if it was to be happening next season someone would have heard something, in this time period nothing like that is kept entirely behind closed doors.
With the right support staff, a quick pop-up team can get off the ground right away. As seen with Utica, because there wasn't much time between the announcement of the sale of Peoria to Vancouver, the statement that the Canucks would not be shoveling money into a burn barrel in Peoria, and the announcement of Utica as the new home.

Plenty of time for a team to throw some money at the AHL to purchase the 31st franchise and for some other teams to swap partners.

Isn't the next AHL BoG meeting not until late May/early June anyway?

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
With the right support staff, a quick pop-up team can get off the ground right away. As seen with Utica, because there wasn't much time between the announcement of the sale of Peoria to Vancouver, the statement that the Canucks would not be shoveling money into a burn barrel in Peoria, and the announcement of Utica as the new home.

Plenty of time for a team to throw some money at the AHL to purchase the 31st franchise and for some other teams to swap partners.

Isn't the next AHL BoG meeting not until late May/early June anyway?
Colorado wanted to move west at one point (could they buy the 31th team?). Maybe St. Louis goes to San Antonio.

Chicago - Vegas Golden Knights
San Antonio - St. Louis Blues
Loveland or Colorado Springs (Broadmoor World Arena) - Colorado Avalanche ? (expansion team)

Last edited by Agalloch: 03-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 03:54 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I just have a hard time imagining two NHL teams sharing an AHL affiliate. There would be so much internal complaining. If they are forced to with a gun to their head they might otherwise I can't imagine two teams willingly sharing an AHL team.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote