HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peterborough Petes 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2017, 07:45 AM
Mayday3*
BlueJaysRaptors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes View Post
We won yesterday 2-0 but still looking for that true dominant performance we know they're capable of.

What'd ya say we just play to a 2-2 tie into OT, both get a point and then start things for real from then?
Afraid of a one game winner takes all in Oshawa?
The "rivalry" needs that

Old
03-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday3 View Post
Afraid of a one game winner takes all in Oshawa?
The "rivalry" needs that
Meh, not really. Just rather not leave it to chance..... last game in Oshawa played out OK for us if I do recall. (Yes I know.... the officiating.... blah blah)

Edit: Petes also quite short handed right now missing two of their best shutdown guys.

Old
03-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Naz

Quote:
Meh, not really. Just rather not leave it to chance..... last game in Oshawa played out OK for us if I do recall. (Yes I know.... the officiating.... blah blah)

Edit: Petes also quite short handed right now missing two of their best shutdown guys.
I can't believe I'm saying this as a Gen's fan glad the Pete's are doing well but would love for Sundays game to mean something like win and you got 1st in the East, but there is a game tonight or Saturday that can decide what happens Sunday. as a Gens fan hoping for a Pete's lose tonight and a Gen's win on Saturday.
And bring on Sundays game.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Petes1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this as a Gen's fan glad the Pete's are doing well but would love for Sundays game to mean something like win and you got 1st in the East, but there is a game tonight or Saturday that can decide what happens Sunday. as a Gens fan hoping for a Pete's lose tonight and a Gen's win on Saturday.
If it came to the game on Sunday Oshawa would have to win in regulation to get 1st. Peterborough only needs a point to clinch.

Old
03-16-2017, 09:16 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
We won yesterday 2-0 but still looking for that true dominant performance we know they're capable of.

What'd ya say we just play to a 2-2 tie into OT, both get a point and then start things for real from then?
Fair enough ill take that deal we go into OT but only if we can get the extra pts tn then we can clinch 4th place over kingston tonight and u guys clinch first in east

Last edited by HamiltonOHL: 03-16-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old
03-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
Fair enough ill take that deal we go into OT but only if we can get the extra pts tn then we can clinch 4th place over kingston tonight and u guys ckibch first in east
Done.

Old
03-16-2017, 10:59 AM
ptbopete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post

With the Petes luck against Oshawa the last 10 years I can very easily seeing it come down to a final game in Oshawa and it ending with the Petes in 3rd place and losing home ice advantage in the playoffs. But that is the old Petes. This new Petes era (if you will) they are going to beat Hamilton tonight and avoid that scenario.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:15 AM
chriryan

Pete's clinch division and conference with 4-0 shutout against Hamilton with Pete's goalies posting back to back shutouts. Great to see Smith and wells rewarded on back to back nights . Solid effort tonight a bit of push back from Hamilton in the 2nd for the first 7 minutes other then that solid effort tonight. So generals will finish 3rd Missy 2nd Pete's 1st . Know all that's left is the playoff race between ottawa Sudbury niagra North Bay. Sudbury wins in Sudbury tomorrow in regulation that puts Stan in a tough spot.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:12 PM
ptbopete

Congrats to the Petes for the Eastern Conference title! Well played back to back shutouts. Bring on the playoffs.

Old
03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
bubbles1

Congratulations Petes on a great season! Now let's have a great playoff run fill the PMC for the boys!!! Let's show the league the old time Petes spirit and get behind these guys....best of luck!!

Old
03-19-2017, 03:34 PM
bubbles1

Petes vs Niagara

looks like a petes vs niagara 1st round matchup niagara cant catch sudbury and north bays done after ktown just beat them i see

Old
03-19-2017, 03:45 PM
ptbopete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles1 View Post
looks like a petes vs niagara 1st round matchup niagara cant catch sudbury and north bays done after ktown just beat them i see
Yup Petes vs Niagara. Looks like they may be without Mantha for the first game due to fighting suspension. We should have a full healthy squad.

Old
03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Mayday3*
BlueJaysRaptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbopete View Post
Yup Petes vs Niagara. Looks like they may be without Mantha for the first game due to fighting suspension. We should have a full healthy squad.
Nope. He got suspended Mar 16 (2 games suspension) and sat out vs SBY and MISS. He'll be back for game 1

Old
03-19-2017, 05:32 PM
WillardJFredricks

Kudos to the Petes on such a good season. I admit, I was skeptical going into this year. I thought the losses of Cornel, Garlent, Betzold, Masin and Mancina would put them near the bottom and I was still mad they didn't add to the team last year to go for it. But this years team has been so fun to watch.

It was great to see Oke make moves to go for it, and I also really like that the fans seem to have responded (since the Korostolev trade in particular) by coming out to the games. It's been a noticeable difference between Sept-November to the past couple of months.

I also agree with the recent column in the paper by NV about the atmosphere improving in the building too. Good work by all the Petes staff.

No matter what happens in the playoffs, I think it needs to be said the Petes have done a great job this season as an organization.

And I'm cautiously optimistic they can win the East title this year too. Either way, it'll be nice to see a new banner go up to the rafters celebrating a division title.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Duke Guy

Surprisingly the attendance only went from 2,573 last year to 2,666 this year. I would think a bigger jump is in the works if the team has a long playoff run.

The big improvement this year is the special teams. The PP went from 19th to 7th while the PK went from 20th to 9th. I think someone on the coaching staff deserves to take a bow.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
Surprisingly the attendance only went from 2,573 last year to 2,666 this year. I would think a bigger jump is in the works if the team has a long playoff run.
It had a long way to go from early in the season where a lot of nights it was under 2000.

As for next year, strictly anecdotal but I know a few empty seats around me have been scooped up for next season with the package deal that gets you first right at all playoff tickets for the seats if you buy season tickets for next season (and save $50 or something). I didn't think it was a great deal $$ wise but I guess people want to get the seats

Old
03-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Mayday3*
BlueJaysRaptors

Quote:

The big improvement this year is the special teams. The PP went from 19th to 7th while the PK went from 20th to 9th. I think someone on the coaching staff deserves to take a bow.
And certain people on here were basically telling me that I was crazy and a super negative fan for saying that the attendance is an issue lol

Old
03-20-2017, 07:54 PM
WillardJFredricks

Quote:

Well, Kurtis Foster was the new addition. Maybe he had something to do with it? Or maybe the staff as a whole really decided they needed to improve in order to win and put more focus on it.

As for the attendance...the first couple of months was brutal. I think they were lucky to have 2000 at some of the games. I know they always announce higher, but I'd put money on the fact that there were several games in the fall with only 1800 actual fans in the stands. It was terrible. It seemed like after Oke made the Korostolev trade, it picked up.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Petes1

2330 attendance the first 17 games.

3001 the last 17 games.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:28 PM
ptbopete

Quote:

I would add that fewer teams have seen such a huge improvement in individual players.

Wells
2015-16 4.59 GAA
2016-17 3.07 GAA

Timms
2015-16 3g-18a-21pts
2016-17 11g-53a-63pts

Gallant
2015-16 0g- 4a-4pts
2016-17 21g-26a-47pts

Scott Smith improved a ton too as did Fraser and Isaacson all with more icetime.. But the three above (Wells, Timms and Gallant) have improved exponentially. Gallant won the Most Improved Player in the Coach's poll. Surprisingly Timleck got fewer points this year. But I always feels he's about to break out. Maybe the playoffs?

Old
03-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Bra Wavers

Wondering what the line-up will look like for Thursday night.......I hope Black is back.

F:
Korostelev - SDA - Lorentz
Timleck – Paquette - Denoble
Ang - Gallant - Coyle
Svoboda/Gogolev - Rollo - Isaacson

*4th line will see less regular shifts in the 2nd season, so it's probably not a big deal what the make-up of that line is. Gogolev has been gaining confidence at the offensive end, which is good to see, but he still turns the puck over in neutral ice and at the opposition's blue line too much for my liking.

D:
Timms - Jenkins
Prophet - Black
Spencer - Fraser

* Chisholm has shown flashes of how great he will be in the future. Great skater with good offensive instincts. Are we confident enough in his strength defending to use him as our #6 Dman and use Fraser at forward to wreak some havoc against the Niagara Dmen on the fore-check?

Old
03-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Bra Wavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbopete View Post
I would add that fewer teams have seen such a huge improvement in individual players.

Wells
2015-16 4.59 GAA
2016-17 3.07 GAA

Timms
2015-16 3g-18a-21pts
2016-17 11g-53a-63pts

Gallant
2015-16 0g- 4a-4pts
2016-17 21g-26a-47pts

So true.....and so great that these guys will be around in the future (Timms is a perfect OA candidate IMO, so 2 more years, while Wells may possibility be here for 2 more years and Gallant maybe 3?)

Scott Smith improved a ton too as did Fraser and Isaacson all with more icetime..

Fraser has 19 points this season, up from 3 last year. A nice improvement especially with no time on the PP.

But the three above (Wells, Timms and Gallant) have improved exponentially. Gallant won the Most Improved Player in the Coach's poll.

Gallant is a beast, so physical and great at the dot.

Surprisingly Timleck got fewer points this year. But I always feels he's about to break out. Maybe the playoffs?
Timleck is a hard one to figure out. I think his progress was the most negatively affected by the trades and the promotion of SDA to the top line. He seems to have good chemistry with Denoble but not really with anyone else. He is not an option on the PK or on the #1 PP, so he seems to get lost in the shuffle when there is a parade to the sin bin by either team. I agree that he will break out at some point and the playoffs seem like an excellent time for that!

Old
03-21-2017, 08:08 AM
bubbles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
2330 attendance the first 17 games.

3001 the last 17 games.
Hey thats grea,t im sure it will be sellouts at home games from here on in!!! nice to see the enthusiasm in the town again!

Old
03-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bra Wavers View Post
Wondering what the line-up will look like for Thursday night.......I hope Black is back.

F:
Korostelev - SDA - Lorentz
Timleck Paquette - Denoble
Ang - Gallant - Coyle
Svoboda/Gogolev - Rollo - Isaacson

*4th line will see less regular shifts in the 2nd season, so it's probably not a big deal what the make-up of that line is. Gogolev has been gaining confidence at the offensive end, which is good to see, but he still turns the puck over in neutral ice and at the opposition's blue line too much for my liking.

D:
Timms - Jenkins
Prophet - Black
Spencer - Fraser

* Chisholm has shown flashes of how great he will be in the future. Great skater with good offensive instincts. Are we confident enough in his strength defending to use him as our #6 Dman and use Fraser at forward to wreak some havoc against the Niagara Dmen on the fore-check?
That lineup looks good too me. I think I would go with this fourth line and Chisholm in the lineup. Gives you the reassurance in case a D gets hurt as well...

Isaacson-Rollo-Fraser

Old
03-22-2017, 10:16 AM
NV

Gallant all the way up to #64 in Craig Button's latest rankings http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-...chier-1.702428

A long playoff run (more exposure to scouts) and possible impact of coaches poll result could quite easily push him into the second round by the time all is said and done.

Closed Thread