HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The "Playoff Push" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2017, 01:11 AM
2LeftSkates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Staple already said if Isles dont make playoffs Garth is still likely to not be fired.
Popcorn manager?

Old
03-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
This. Also isles and toronto also have 4 games in 6 days coming up but isles get 3 days rest...toronto only has tomorrow off. Advantage us. Need to get 1 more point then they do in the next 4. Hoping to see a rejuvenated team with 3 days off...a lot of mental mistakes lately.
Have you looked at the Leafs' remaining games? They've got a tough, tough schedule the rest of the way (quality of opposition).

I think the final spot will come down to the Isles and Tampa, to be honest. I just don't see the Leafs doing too well considering who they've got left.

Old
03-19-2017, 12:29 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Staple already said if Isles dont make playoffs Garth is still likely to not be fired.
They've made a pretty good rebound. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets next year to prove the slow start and initial issues with line chemistry is what ultimately derailed this season. I believe it's his final chance though. If they don't at least go to round 2 in 2017-18 he's probably out. I don't know what will happen with Weight. My hunch is if he and his family are okay with him coaching and being away for long periods he stays. There were rumblings though when he was an assistant that he was preferring to move to an off ice position full time

Old
03-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Have you looked at the Leafs' remaining games? They've got a tough, tough schedule the rest of the way (quality of opposition).

I think the final spot will come down to the Isles and Tampa, to be honest. I just don't see the Leafs doing too well considering who they've got left.
I wonder about Boston too. Only because the last two years they have found a way to "just miss out" at the tail end of the season.

Old
03-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
I wonder about Boston too. Only because the last two years they have found a way to "just miss out" at the tail end of the season.
Boston looks like a different team since Cassidy took over. They've got a bit more breathing room than the others. Even if they go .500 the rest of the way, I think they'll have enough to get in.

I think they could make some noise in the playoffs. Especially when the refs put the whistles away (even more so than now) and a guy like Chara can become a human octopus out there.

Old
03-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Boston looks like a different team since Cassidy took over. They've got a bit more breathing room than the others. Even if they go .500 the rest of the way, I think they'll have enough to get in.

I think they could make some noise in the playoffs. Especially when the refs put the whistles away (even more so than now) and a guy like Chara can become a human octopus out there.
All true. Moreover, as soon as I finished posting I also considered conversely that maybe Boston does make it because they "just missed out" the past two seasons. I believe it was two years ago where a non-playoff team in the Panthers came back to beat them late in the third. They probably will not take such games for granted again.

EDIT: Comparing schedules after your post. The Isles schedule is garbage! Four game road trip last week of the season. Toronto has four game home stand. All except one home game (Nashville) is the second half of back to backs. Dear, Barclays and NHL.... you suck!

Last edited by Chairman Wang: 03-19-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old
03-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Wang View Post
EDIT: Comparing schedules after your post. The Isles schedule is garbage! Four game road trip last week of the season. Toronto has four game home stand. All except one home game (Nashville) is the second half of back to backs. Dear, Barclays and NHL.... you suck!
Toronto has home games, but it's who they play that gives me pause. Just to simplify things for anyone else who is reading this conversation, this is the remaining games for each of Tampa, Toronto, and the Isles.

Tampa:
Arizona
@Boston
@Detroit
Chicago
Detroit
Montreal
Dallas
@Boston
@Toronto
@Montreal
Buffalo

Toronto:
Boston
@Columbus
New Jersey
@Buffalo
Florida
@Nashville
@Detroit
@Buffalo
Washington
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Columbus

Islanders:
@Rangers
@Pittsburgh
Boston
Nashville
@Philly
New Jersey
@Buffalo
@Nashville
@Carolina
@New Jersey
Ottawa

The Leafs do finish at home for 4 straight, but look at their opponents. The top three teams in the Metro and Tampa. That's a murderer's row of opponents, even if it's at home.

In comparison, if the Isles can get through the next 4 games (Rangers, Pens, Boston, Nashville), they've got a relatively easy bunch of opponents, with only Nashville and Ottawa being playoff teams, the rest of the way.

Old
03-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Toronto has home games, but it's who they play that gives me pause. Just to simplify things for anyone else who is reading this conversation, this is the remaining games for each of Tampa, Toronto, and the Isles.

Tampa:
Arizona
@Boston
@Detroit
Chicago
Detroit
Montreal
Dallas
@Boston
@Toronto
@Montreal
Buffalo

Toronto:
Boston
@Columbus
New Jersey
@Buffalo
Florida
@Nashville
@Detroit
@Buffalo
Washington
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Columbus

Islanders:
@Rangers
@Pittsburgh
Boston
Nashville
@Philly
New Jersey
@Buffalo
@Nashville
@Carolina
@New Jersey
Ottawa

The Leafs do finish at home for 4 straight, but look at their opponents. The top three teams in the Metro and Tampa. That's a murderer's row of opponents, even if it's at home.

In comparison, if the Isles can get through the next 4 games (Rangers, Pens, Boston, Nashville), they've got a relatively easy bunch of opponents, with only Nashville and Ottawa being playoff teams, the rest of the way.
The sens beat us 3-0 in our last meeting
Carolina won 3 out of 4 from us since the new year scoring 22 goals in 4 games.
We split 2 with philly since New Years also dropping an earlier game to them
We split 2 with the Devils since New Years
Buffalo we beat 5-1.
I just went W vs L. There are a couple loser point games mixed in here. We need wins the rest of the way.

Old
03-19-2017, 04:03 PM
NYI JT91
Jesus Greiss

Quote:

I would agree but TB traded away some pieces and had a few injuries right after...they won 2 or 3 off adrenline but now they are coming down to earth. Too much change there. It will be between Isles and leafs. Between TDL and further injuries they will be lucky to stay .500 Bishop, Filpula, Boyle all gone plus their injuries recently...i dont see it. They couldnt make a WC spot before all the losses in the lineup, just dont see it being possible.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:15 PM
LeapOnOver
Lemieux who?

Toronto will probably get those teams as they are resting players unfortunately.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:25 PM
MartinMcc
beautvillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOnOver View Post
Toronto will probably get those teams as they are resting players unfortunately.
not when home ice is on the line

Old
03-19-2017, 10:37 PM
LeapOnOver
Lemieux who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMcc View Post
I don't think enough of those teams are going to have home ice on the line but the time they get to the Leafs.

Old
03-20-2017, 01:26 AM
NYI JT91
Jesus Greiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMcc View Post
This. Race is so tight at the top too..

Old
03-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

vCash: 990
Hopefully we benefit with the days off. Get some practices in and rest the bodies. Maybe get Boychuk back and then play the Rags when they are on a back end of a back to back.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27nyi View Post
Hopefully we benefit with the days off. Get some practices in and rest the bodies. Maybe get Boychuk back and then play the Rags when they are on a back end of a back to back.
Yes the three days off should be very helpful. It seems like they were so focused on the massive road trip that by the time they returned they were gassed.

Hoping they can string together 3-4 wins in a row to get the talk around here being about potential first round opponents as opposed to "we suck" all the time.

Old
03-20-2017, 04:52 PM
NYI JT91
Jesus Greiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Yes the three days off should be very helpful. It seems like they were so focused on the massive road trip that by the time they returned they were gassed.

Hoping they can string together 3-4 wins in a row to get the talk around here being about potential first round opponents as opposed to "we suck" all the time.
That would be nice.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Renbarg

I'm ok with any outcome tonight in regulation in the Toronto-Boston game. We play Boston one more time so keeping them within 4 points with 1 game in hand means they are well within reach.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:35 PM
eoin92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'm ok with any outcome tonight in regulation in the Toronto-Boston game. We play Boston one more time so keeping them within 4 points with 1 game in hand means they are well within reach.
A Toronto win tonight would put them three points up with the same number of games. I think we need Boston to win tonight. Toronto is the team we're really chasing here.

Old
03-20-2017, 05:58 PM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

Yep, Boston needs the win for sure for us.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
NYI JT91
Jesus Greiss

Come on Boston...Beat that ass in regulation!

Old
03-20-2017, 07:08 PM
smheilbron

This bruin leafs game may be our season. 1-0 Boston early

Old
03-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smheilbron View Post
This bruin leafs game may be our season. 1-0 Boston early
A Bruins-Leafs game on March 20th is not going to determine the Islanders' season.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:49 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Tied in the 2nd means it's going to be a 3 point game.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
smheilbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
A Bruins-Leafs game on March 20th is not going to determine the Islanders' season.
3 pts to gain in 10 games is not easy

Old
03-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Cronin View Post
Tied in the 2nd means it's going to be a 3 point game.
Watching it in the background but seemed up and down, kinda surprised it is only 1-1

Closed Thread